IPB Elegia Style© Fisana

Helm Lardar's blog:

Photo

Superheroes and the Lone Ranger

Posted by Helm Lardar , 07 February 2014 - - - - - - · 508 views

I like superheroes in fiction.  That might not seem controversial, but for some reason plenty of superhero films are derided, apparently for containing them.  Problem with those films is that quite often they don't call the leads superheroes, even when they are.  The audience is expected to infer it.That means half the time the audience doesn't....

Photo

Post Quest Implementation

Posted by Helm Lardar , 30 January 2014 - - - - - - · 645 views

So I've been doing all the quests, and got the quest cape for the first time yesterday.  And it's made me think about one thing in particular: post quest implementation, and why it's so variable for different series.  By post quest implementation I mean what happens to fulfil the ending of a story.  In a traditional book, this would be the epi...

Photo

"Elf city will be available to everyone"-regardless of requirements-says Jagex

Posted by Helm Lardar , 11 January 2014 - - - - - - · 2,268 views

Edit: panic over!  The new Q&A, set up in the 'power to the players' section of the RSOF, has mandated that 'Within the Light' will be a requirement to access some of the city, with access to more of the city coming after another Grandmaster Quest.  Which will be released soonish.  Like Priffidinas was.  MEP2 was released in 2005....

Photo

The Truth is stranger than fiction

Posted by Helm Lardar , 12 November 2013 - - - - - - · 412 views

At this point in time, I'm studying history at university.  Yay!  History is great, and often it's really great because, well, it's like a fantasy novel, but (a) real and (b) much more fleshed out.  I was just reading a  journal article on porcelain, and this popped out:Robert Finlay, 'The Pilgrim Art: the Culture of Porcelain in World...

Photo

Space Station 13: first impressions of a free game you should ALL check out

Posted by Helm Lardar , 19 September 2013 - - - - - - · 765 views

I've recently been playing Space Station 13, and I thought I'd post my first impressions.  Space Station 13 is a (free) multiplayer online role playing game in which you work with lots of other people to run a Space Station, protecting it from disasters (not very successfully) and making interesting things happen.It's a bit different from a lo...

Photo

Dwarf Fortress: pt 3, Guisemined, even more characters! Sobend makes a fantastic artefact! Vote for somebody to become Count!

Posted by Helm Lardar , 05 September 2013 - - - - - - · 756 views

So what’s been happening in the fortress?  Well, the military is properly up and running now, and has seen off several threats with some casualties.  If a dwarven fortress is a mountain range, then a well-run military has to be one of the peaks: it requires a great deal of different mechanics to be carefully thought through and meshed together: civi...

Photo

Dwarf Fortress: not a story, but a detailed update. Histories of avarice and mettle.

Posted by Helm Lardar , 03 September 2013 - - - - - - · 584 views

Those of you who wanted another Dwarf Fortress story may have wondered why I didn't post another.  My excuse is that they take a while to write, you have to constantly think about pasting screenshots into a word document while you're playing, and I am perhaps a bit too lazy to do it.  I can, however, give you a running idea of what those of you wh...

Photo

Dwarf Fortress: pt one, Reepicheep (including fancy screenshots!)

Posted by Helm Lardar , 26 August 2013 - - - - - - · 2,890 views

Since Reepicheep died almost immediately, I though I'd post the account as a sort of short story.  If you're interested in stories involving a dwarf nicknamed after you (if I can get enough Sals people it will read a lot better), post a comment saying so.  See the previous blog post.  Practically everything in the story is present in Dwarf Fortres...

Photo

Dwarf Fortress: Anyone interested in some posts about this?

Posted by Helm Lardar , 23 August 2013 - - - - - - · 1,066 views

Here's what would happen:You guys would comment, saying "I want my name to be the nickname of a dwarf that does X".I would go through the dorfs, nickname them after anyone who commented (significant dorfs, first, others later).I would then play the game, and post updates on anything significant, obviously including anything significant done by...

Photo

RuneScape: the Divination post-release AMA categorised

Posted by Helm Lardar , 21 August 2013 - - - - - - · 1,105 views

I'm doing this for my own purposes and for a sort of 'archive' ideal.  I don't know if it's useful or necessary.  Some of the answers are unclear enough to need the corresponding questions, but a lot of them aren't.  If they have a question before them, they will start with a -dash before the answering mod's name.  I hope this...

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    Grazer
    29 Mar 2016 - 03:53
  • Photo
    Jakavam
    12 Aug 2015 - 09:47
  • Photo
    lord earth13
    10 Feb 2014 - 03:03
  • Photo
    Sobend