IPB Elegia Style© Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Visage Drop.

Posted by Merch Gwyar , 08 December 2009 · 3,849 views

Pictures
Posted ImagePosted Image

I think I'm still in shock.   In fact, I know I am.   At first, I was quite calm.  There might have been a 'Oh My God' uttered IRL, but I was in the KBD's lair with enough provision for a couple more fights.  This didn't leave time to check the price.   I knew that it was a rare drop and I knew that it was expensive.   The fact that Shelley wouldn't hold it was also testimony to that.   I screenied the drop, made my preparations for the next fight, then pasted and saved the picture.    It wasn't until I'd defeated KBD twice more and gloried to Edgeville that I finally saw the price of it.

Posted Image

It's almost scary.   Suddenly I have a potential 34m in my bank or else a shield-with-a-face-on.  I just stared at it and told the bank at large, 'OMG, I've had a visage drop and I've just seen the price of it!'    There was only one person there.   Ma Cypress either had public off or else didn't want to engage.   IRL, I was starting to panic very slightly.   I checked my friends list.  No-one was on.   I dashed into Canting.  No-one was there.   I came out and stared at it again.  I was loathe to log off because I remembered Josh's old theory that luck survives during each session.  If you log off, your luck can change.  If you stay on, you are likely to have another lucky drop.   I don't know if that's just Josh superstition, but he kills lots of big things, so it's possible.   This, of course, meant that I just froze in Edgeville Bank totally at a loss of what to do.   Did I afix it to an anti-fire shield?  Did I sell it?   Did I log off and have a nice cup of tea?

Just as I was working my way up into utter shock, Dimblewit walked into the bank.   He is level 130 and was clad in a Defence cape.   As I watched, he started to put on all this spiky red armour that is always the hallmark of someone who knows combat.   As calmly as I could, I asked, 'Dimblewit, could I ask you for some advice please?'    He was happy to oblige and so it all came flooding out.   The lovely Dimblewit talked me off the ceiling with sound advice for about 10 minutes.   He gave me all of my options without trying to force any onto me.  

Posted Image

The main conclusions that were reached, under his advice and guidance, was that I would possibly be better off selling it.   He did caution that these things rise in price all of the time, so that letting it sit in my bank for a while would mean even more profit.   There's no great rush to sell, but if I did, then there are many Construction levels to be funded here.   He recommended me putting aside 10-12m on buying better armour and/or merchanting.   He said that I could easily and quickly make 33m again, whilst retaining the original trauche of money for Construction levels and/or better armour.   Actually, he said a lot of things, but those were the options that really stood out for me.  Mostly though, he told me to go and get that cup of tea, do my research, then consider my options.   This I'm about to do!

Thank you, Dimblewit, for your patience and sound advice.  :ice:

Posted Image

There are still a handful of slots to fill, mainly during the Australasian/Asian afternoon or early evening.   Anyone got anything for them please?  Parade?  Scavenger hunt?   Mass farming run?   Nature ramble?    Soup kitchen?

Egghebrecht
Dec 08 2009 05:32 AM
CONGRATZ!!!!!

i would make it into a shield considering it is a superb shield
but seeing as you are a combat nub you might as well sell it :P
now or later

but don't forget that this is the best shield around for mages, rangers and melee users! (i don't bother with spirit shields seeing as they don't sell anyway)
and a big def bonus instead of hardly one at all against dragons is a great plus

or in other words i'm even making it harder to choose for you :P

still lucky you!
Congratulations Merch, I feel happy for you. Same as when I bought a Santa and an Easter egg when quitting a long time ago, both of which were 15.5m and 4.5m respectively, and now they're both at around 35m :D. I'd sell the visage, and use the money to fund your construction or any other skills, yet save some money in case you quickly need a large sum of cash. Enjoy ;D

Merch Gwyar
Dec 08 2009 06:17 AM
Thanks Egghebrecht and Pinkytm.  I read that and then went to look up the stats.   They're very impressive.   Dimblewit did propose this, but his argument against was that I could use the money to make money (better armour for fighting big bosses or merchanting primarily).   I'd soon make the 33m back and therefore have both it and the original trauche of 33m.   I could buy the visage back and therefore have both.  

Yes, it is a hard choice!   It's occurred to me that I could buy outright both the gilded armour and the ranger boots, which would mean that, for the first time since June, my money wouldn't be diverted onto treasure trail items.   That's been a big money drain until now, so without it, I will start accumulating funds again.  The Gilded Armour is 4.2m.  The Ranger Boots have fallen to 13.8m, but are now rising again.   So that's 18m spent, if I go that route.  

Using morphic hammers, the remaining 15.3m will get me to level 91 Construction.  I will be able to max out my menagerie, study and dungeon, as well as swop the limestone spiral staircase for a marble one.  All that will be outside my reach will be the demonic throne and two room allocations.

Alternatively, I could buy better armour and merchant with the money.  Or have a pwnage shield.

Merch Gwyar
Dec 08 2009 06:19 AM
PS  I've discovered that if I ask the assistance of a level 90 smith, then I'd give them 2000xp, whilst adding a couple of million onto the price of my visage by turning it into a dragonfire shield.

Egghebrecht
Dec 08 2009 06:36 AM

Merch Gwyar, on Dec 8 2009, 12:19 PM, said:

PS  I've discovered that if I ask the assistance of a level 90 smith, then I'd give them 2000xp, whilst adding a couple of million onto the price of my visage by turning it into a dragonfire shield.
check :P

and most likely you know several of those

i'd say that you at least give it a go before you sell it (against dragons preferable since dragonbreath charges it)
you will need to use up all the charges again in order to sell it tho

i can't lend you mine to test it because of that :( (can only be lent uncharged and that being 50 charges i cba the effort)

Merch Gwyar
Dec 08 2009 06:53 AM
Goes to see.   Kuemper, Timothy Gold and Dr Leviathan are in the frame then!

My main concern is that Ranger Boots are rising again.   If I sold right now, then bought them, I might save millions.   Or would they just crash down again?   I don't know!

Egghebrecht
Dec 08 2009 07:03 AM

Merch Gwyar, on Dec 8 2009, 12:53 PM, said:

Goes to see.   Kuemper, Timothy Gold and Dr Leviathan are in the frame then!

My main concern is that Ranger Boots are rising again.   If I sold right now, then bought them, I might save millions.   Or would they just crash down again?   I don't know!
i can't help you there either
they are rising because they are used as investment

which means when they crash they will crash hard because of panic
but that also means that it is nearly impossible to guess a when

when jagex introduces a new moneysink (skill or other) they will drop
but we don't know those things beforehand usually :P
lol here you are killing the kbd hoping for his head and you get a visage! that is extremely funny =p. CONGRATULATIONS merchy <3

edit: and i like the pic ive never seen just a visage by itself before ;o
Congrats. :yay:

IMO, I didn't find the dfs worth the effort/cash to get one. A d square works just as well for combat stats and the normal anti dragon + antifire pot are good for dragon slaying. I'd sell the visage and use the money on your ranger boots, construction and dragon plate body.

RS Economist
Dec 08 2009 08:26 AM
Merch -I know that you don't do much merchanting, but consider this.  Making just a 5% return each day will double your money in 14 days.  It is not hard to do.  Give me a day or two and I will get the post about fundamental trading on the Ge up.  Until then, take a look at this one: http://nikki.thegran...ange.com/?p=176

Taking advantage of the time sensitivity of others is just the market in action.  There is no reason not to profit off the farmer who buys seeds at max because he wants 10 snapdragon seeds now regardless of the price.  If you have the time, you can buy those seeds at mid in a few hours.  Then selling them at max will yield a 5% profit.  Many highly used items can be bought at 2.5% below the mid price if you are patient.  After all, half the items sold on the GE are below mid (the other half are above) unless the graph is a straight line.  With a bit of time you can use that to your advantage, buying heavily traded items at a 2.5% discount and selling them for 2.5% over mid for a 5% profit.  

Done hap haphazardly, you might not make that 5% a day, but even then, you are almost assured of a slight profit, and that interest is compounded.  Merch for one month and you can have your cake and eat it too.
Congratulations!!

I agree with RSEco, if you put some back into trading in time you will make back what you have spent in no time and have a nice big slice of cake, I was experimenting with Adamant arrowtips yesterday, buying 10k of them for min+1 and they sold today at middle price, earning 70k

If you do that every day with them for 30-50k you should be able to bring in a nice daily stipend :)

www.runescapemoneyguild.blogspot.com

On a side note, I owe Ma Cypress the 200 thread she lent me when I am still a noob at the game and just learning how to craft lol

Anyways, my advice is to reward yourself with 75% of it, spending it on what you want such as the booties and construction and investing the rest to give yourself a nice little daily income :)
Congrats Merch!  That's an amazing drop!

I know you're struggling with what to do with it, but that's a great problem to have :)

Merch Gwyar
Dec 08 2009 09:34 AM
Egghebrecht:  The last thing that I need right now is another money sink skill.   LOL   Imagine how rich I'll be after I've maxed Construction...

Kayla:   LOL  Trust me, the irony wasn't lost on me either.   I'd barely thought on a visage being a possible drop.   I always scramble to look to see if the head is there, but if not, I assume it will be general drops.   You're welcome re the picture.  :D

Kuemper:   Thank you for helping me turn this into a dragonfire shield.  :wub:   I am erring on the side of selling it, it has to be said.

RS Economist:   Thank you for the link.   I've just been to read it.   I'm currently attempting merchanting.   I've done all the maths, researched graphs, then put my bids in and never get sold the stuff.  >.<    I know this is probably me missing the boat on putting the bid in, as the real merchanters like yourself are already on the ball.    However, I'm getting there.  I noticed that toadflax is rising again, so I put a bid on for 220 grimy toadflax.   I've so far had 20-odd sold to me, which I've cleaned up and stashed away for later re-sale.     Does your 2.5% thing equate to Sparhawke's -5gp and +5gp thing?

Merch Gwyar
Dec 08 2009 09:40 AM
Sparhawke:   Re Ma Cypress:  LOL  it's a small world.   I wish I'd known, as I'm bound to have 200 thread in my bank that I could have given her.  LOL    As for merchanting, I've given up on those steel armour sets that I told you about.   As I just told RSEco:  I noticed that toadflax is rising again, so I put a bid on for 220 grimy toadflax. I've so far had 20-odd sold to me, which I've cleaned up and stashed away for later re-sale.   I'm simultaneously farming them too.  Den the Men alerted me to how cheap the toadflax seeds are right now, so I bought a load of them.

Thanks for the arrowtip advice.  Between you and RSECo, I'll be working out this merchanting soon!

Smeck:  Yes!   I know it looks like I'm struggling, but I'd rather this struggle than any others!  :D  Thanks!
I'd sell, at the moment the market seems about to turn in anticipation of the new skill. All the godswords are crashing, I'm no expert but who wants a fire breathing shield! Will someone think of the children!
Merry Christmas in advance Merch  :santa: This is a great gift.
Congrats Merch, on an amazing drop, and on getting your 6,000th comment.

To celebrate, here's some maths for you.... oak planks are currently 627gp in the GE. 38,000,000 gp is enough to buy 60,600 of them, which could be turned into 6,060 oak dungeon doors, for a total of 3,636,000 construction xp. For a player currently on 2,966,380xp, this would make a total of 6,602,380, raising that player from level 84 construction to level 92 construction, which would allow that player (with tea and saw) to make every construction item in the game apart from the demonic throne (possible with stew) and magical cape rack (which can obtained as a flat pack), as well as extending their house to 30 rooms.

If the player was prepared to make planks at the sawmill instead of buying them on the GE, buying oak logs and paying sawmill fees would reduce the cost to 50+250=300 per plank. This means 38m would buy 126,660 planks, which could be turned into 12,666 oak dungeon doors, yielding 7,599,600 xp. This would be enough to raise a player on 2,966,380xp to 10,565,980 xp, which is just 156k short of level 97!

(edit.... drat, it was 33m not 38! oh well, you get the idea anyway :-) )
I looked at the title and was like.. >:o!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats merch on such a lucky drop :D

Egghebrecht, on Dec 8 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

CONGRATZ!!!!!

i would make it into a shield considering it is a superb shield
but seeing as you are a combat nub you might as well sell it :P
now or later

but don't forget that this is the best shield around for mages, rangers and melee users! (i don't bother with spirit shields seeing as they don't sell anyway)
and a big def bonus instead of hardly one at all against dragons is a great plus

or in other words i'm even making it harder to choose for you :P

still lucky you!

check :P

and most likely you know several of those

i'd say that you at least give it a go before you sell it (against dragons preferable since dragonbreath charges it)
you will need to use up all the charges again in order to sell it tho

i can't lend you mine to test it because of that :( (can only be lent uncharged and that being 50 charges i cba the effort)

Best shield for Melee is Rune defender, Ranged Unholy book and Magic Arcane. DFS gives - to both Ranged and Magic and for the vast majority of monsters the +19 slash from a Rune defender outweighs the extra +2 Strength. The only real use for a DFS is boss monsters if you need more Defence than you'll get from a Crystal shield and can't afford an Elysian, Divine or Spectral (depending on the boss).

DFS also aren't lendable at all, regardless of charges, and there's a empty all charges option that empties them all at once.

Krazy Karl 5
Dec 08 2009 12:33 PM
That is epic, you are lucky, and yes, there are loads of options, such as selling it and buying possibly a Santa, they will shoot up in price nearer to christmas :)

Stats

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

My Blogs

Current Goals

• Get a cameo in one of Massecure's RSMVs
  • 85 Dungeoneering
  • Void Deflector
  • Green Runecrafting Outfit
  • Blue Runecrafting Outfit
  • Yellow Runecrafting Outfit
  • Mobilising Army Outfit
  • Level 2 Castle Wars armour

Noticeboard

To visit Canting Away, log into Runescape and click on the chat channel icon (a group of yellow people).  Type in:  Canting.  

Everyone is welcome.  We're a very informal group of people, of all ages, skills, combat levels and interests.   You'll equally find people killing cows straight off Tutorial Island to those soloing Corp; you'll find skillers, PKers and everyone in between, all canting away, while we do our thing.  

Canting = chatting in local slang.  It's a chat channel in the very literal sense of that. Posted Image

Canting Away Hiscores- Most of the generals have the password to this, so if you want to be added, just tell myself or a general.
The Canting Away Chronicle- Weekly online newspaper based on our blogs
Canting Away website - created by Fred
Canting Away website - created by Mking
Canting Away website- created by Doomcreator0
Canting Away forums- created by Rafftank and Krazy Karl5
Canting Away Video Game - created by Reaver

We have a mission!

The Never-Ending Well Saga

Canting Away Rules

It is permissable to kick:

1, Anyone spamming repeatedly, by which I mean '@@@@@@@@@@' or 'plz plz plz plz' or any unacceptable repetition of someone's name. Anything which renders conversation impossible, because the eight lines are being filled with one person posting such things. Discretion should be used. Mid-quest, it's quite feasible that someone will post 'omg!', followed by a second line of 'omg!' before calming enough to flesh out the detail.

2, Anyone being racist, homophobic, sexist, attacking individuals solely on their creed, culture, religion, disabilities or special needs, combat and skills level, mode of playing (f2p or p2p) or economics.

3, Anyone asking for personal information.

Otherwise, I see no need to kick anyone. No kicking should happen without clear and understood warnings; no kickings should happen whilst I am in the room, as, if it's needful, then I'm quite capable of doing it myself.

Videos

For Windows Media etc
Click to play; right-click and 'save target as' to download
or else,
there's my You Tube Channel

Other Runescape Blogs

These are people who would have been in my favourites before I got too many and it went out of hand.Now in a handy blogspot link:  Blogs I Follow

If you think you should be on this list, either comment in my blog, or write interesting blogs yourself often, so I'll eventually find you in the official blog list and not want to let you go. *stalker face*