#1 OFFLINE   123man

123man

At the peak of adequacity

• Retired/Inactive Mod
  • 2,167 posts
  • Joined 03 November 2005
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

So I decided I really want that neato slayer helmet, but I've got a few questions about how the slayer points work.  The explanation at the end of our Smoking Kills quest guide isn't too great...

So I need to do four assignments before I earn points on the 5th assignment, right?  Can I do four assignments from Mazchna (the lowest point guy) and then start on higher ones for my 5th?

Looking at the point spread:
Mazchna - 1 Point
Vannaka - 4 Points
Chaeldar - 10 Points
Sumona - 12 Points
Duradel - 15 Points

It seems that Chaeldar is the best to get points the fastest - being a combination of a lot more points than Vannaka, only two less than Sumona and the fact that hers will be easier/shorter than Duradel's.  Does anyone agree with that logic or disagree?

#2 OFFLINE   sionnach dhu

sionnach dhu

Albatross

• Forum Member
  • 806 posts
  • Joined 01 January 2008

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

View Post123man, on Mar 21 2009, 10:19 AM, said:

Can I do four assignments from Mazchna (the lowest point guy) and then start on higher ones for my 5th?

Looking at the point spread:
Mazchna - 1 Point
Vannaka - 4 Points
Chaeldar - 10 Points
Sumona - 12 Points
Duradel - 15 Points

It seems that Chaeldar is the best to get points the fastest - being a combination of a lot more points than Vannaka, only two less than Sumona and the fact that hers will be easier/shorter than Duradel's.  Does anyone agree with that logic or disagree?

The answer to your first question is yes - your points, as well as your bonus points (at each 10, etc.) are based on the Slayer Master who gave the final assignment.
As a point of note:  If you Burthorpe a task (ask Tureal or Spria to give you an easier one), you have to start at the complete beginning & do 4 tasks with no points. If you spend 30 points to change your assignment, you continue with no penalty.

I disagree with the logic of the second, and here's why:
IME, it's actually much faster to do 9 tasks with a low master, then do the 10th with a higher one - reasons being
1) Every so often, the counting-up tasks were beyond my capabilites and I had to Burthorpe the task (starting my point task count over) or spend points to change the assignment.
2) The harder assignments take up a lot of time & resources (food & potions).

I found that I can do 9 1-point assignments + 1 60-point assignment from Sumona, for a total  of 69 points, in far less time than it takes to do 2-3 harder assignments for only 24 - 40 points. Once I started using this strategy - 9 tasks from Mazchna, then the 10th from Sumona - I had my 400 points in 2 days. I also had a nice inventory of herbs, charms, etc. from the quick assignments from Machy.
I use Sumona instead of Chaeldar because I found she'll often assign monsters which are in the Desert Slayer Dungeon - but doing their much easier and faster counterparts in the Fremennik Slayer Caves fulfills the assignment just as well. She will tell you/suggest that you use her dungeon, but you can ignore that.
  I only had to reset one task from her, which was Terror Dogs; I did Tarn's Lair, and killed about half my assignment before I ran out of food. Problem was that I didn't want to spend points on learning how to make Slayer Rings OR negotiate the maze again.  :wub:  My next points spent will be for Slayer Ring making!

Edited by sionnach dhu, 21 March 2009 - 10:09 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Mano

Mano

Maple Logs

• Forum Member
  • 3,947 posts
  • Joined 15 December 2007
  • Skin: IP.Board
  • R.S. Name: Manofthing
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, as the above poster said, Mazchna is good for getting points, then do your highest - I recommend Lapalok, or Duradel - for the 10th tasks in a row. Although you would get more respect from people if you did it via Duradel or Lapalok than Mazchna.. It's like PC in that way ;P

Edited by Mano, 21 March 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   sionnach dhu

sionnach dhu

Albatross

• Forum Member
  • 806 posts
  • Joined 01 January 2008

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

View PostMano, on Mar 21 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

Yeah, as the above poster said, Mazchna is good for getting points, then do your highest - I recommend Lapalok, or Duradel - for the 10th tasks in a row. Although you would get more respect from people if you did it via Duradel. It's like PC in that way ;P

Erm... there's no way for a player to choose between Lapalok and Duradel, other than to choose not to do While Guthix Sleeps (assuming they've not already done it). Why would anyone not respect someone who's done the quest?

#5 OFFLINE   Mano

Mano

Maple Logs

• Forum Member
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

View Postsionnach dhu, on Mar 21 2009, 03:14 PM, said:

View PostMano, on Mar 21 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

Yeah, as the above poster said, Mazchna is good for getting points, then do your highest - I recommend Lapalok, or Duradel - for the 10th tasks in a row. Although you would get more respect from people if you did it via Duradel. It's like PC in that way ;P

Erm... there's no way for a player to choose between Lapalok and Duradel, other than to choose not to do While Guthix Sleeps (assuming they've not already done it). Why would anyone not respect someone who's done the quest?
Sorry, I was referring to the doing Mazchna for 9 tasks bit ;P I'll edit to clarify.

#6 OFFLINE   123man

123man

At the peak of adequacity

• Retired/Inactive Mod
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

Wow, I didn't realize I could do the easy guy for 9, and one hard one for the bonus - that's cool!  Does anywhere keep track of how many I've done, or do I need to keep a tally sheet? :wub:

Thanks for the info!

#7 OFFLINE   Mano

Mano

Maple Logs

• Forum Member
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

View Post123man, on Mar 21 2009, 03:30 PM, said:

Wow, I didn't realize I could do the easy guy for 9, and one hard one for the bonus - that's cool!  Does anywhere keep track of how many I've done, or do I need to keep a tally sheet? :wub:

Thanks for the info!

When you complete a task, it will say:

"Congratulations, you've completed 23 tasks in a row and gain 15 points. Please return to your Slayer Master." - Or some such thing, anyways. :wub:

#8 OFFLINE   little boy 1100

little boy 1100

River Troll

• Forum Member
  • 1,080 posts
  • Joined 08 November 2008

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

No, i think but not sure your gonna start geting points after 5th assigement, meanign starting from 6th. Also all of them HAVE to be from same master, if you swith you have to start masters over.

#9 OFFLINE   Candi

Candi

Woof Woof!

• Forum Member
  • 1,762 posts
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

View Postlittle boy 1100, on Mar 21 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

No, i think but not sure your gonna start geting points after 5th assigement, meanign starting from 6th. Also all of them HAVE to be from same master, if you swith you have to start masters over.

You're wrong, they don't have to be from the same slayer master to get points, your count doesn't start over if you switch. You also get points from your 5th assignment and onwards.

#10 OFFLINE   amJordan

amJordan

Abyssal Walker

• Forum Member
  • 1,835 posts
  • Joined 19 January 2009
  • Skin: Delicate

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

I personally found this method quite fast.
First Four- Mazcha
Next Five- Vannaka/Mazcha.
Every Tenth- Sumona/Duradel.
And so on...
It took me about 2 days from around 4PM MST-9:30PM MST.
Just like the above poster (sionnach) explained.
For the Black Mask... you don't want to get stuck with only so many charges (x) after you get enough points, so I would either buy one with on charges or one with 6 charges. Because I found doing the same routine took up 7 charges.
Good luck.

Posted Image
^Check out my Log^
Posted Image
RS: amJordan; XBL: Blk Magix; Skype: I_EM-Jordan

#11 OFFLINE   sionnach dhu

sionnach dhu

Albatross

• Forum Member
  • 806 posts
  • Joined 01 January 2008

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

View PostMano, on Mar 21 2009, 11:16 AM, said:

Sorry, I was referring to the doing Mazchna for 9 tasks bit ;P I'll edit to clarify.

Ahhh! Alle ist klar.  :wub:

Editing to add: But unless you tell people, nobody will know the difference.  :wub:

Edited by sionnach dhu, 21 March 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Veni vidi vici

Veni vidi vici

Maple Logs

• Forum Member
  • 3,929 posts
  • Joined 16 March 2007

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Your logic is perfectly agreeable. That should get you the most amount of points (1 Slayer Task X 1.5 Hours = 10 Points/1.5 Hours. 1 Duradel Task = 2.5+ Hours X 1 Slayer Task = 15 Points per 2.5 hours... 30 Points per 4 hours for Duradel or 20 points per 3 hours for Chaeldar. 30/4 = 7.5 Points per Hour for Chaeldar and 20/3 = 6.667 Points per hour + Easier tasks. Your choice really.) Hope that answers your question!
~Vincent

Posted Image

Quotes of Epicness:

Spoiler

#13 OFFLINE   holy cheesin

holy cheesin

Newbie Forumer

• 2 posts
  • Joined 16 May 2010

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

yh i want 1 too but when i did the first set of 5 task for sumona i only got 12 points for 5 tasks. i dont want to do a load of tasks so will this get better or stay the same? whats the bonus you get for 10 and 50 tasks i keep hearing about? :rolleyes: plz tell me so i can decide what to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users