Spirit Hc

Monkey Archer

• Forum Member
  • 2,236 posts
  • Joined 21 January 2007
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

From Salmoneus via inbox.

Hi, it's come to our attention that a certain pro-hacking RuneScape community is targeting accounts here in an attempt to gain access to RuneScape accounts. In short, they've compiled a list of Forum account names and a list of commonly used passwords, and are testing forum accounts to see if any of those passwords match. If they find a match, they attempt to use the matched password to access the member's RuneScape account (presumably from the RSN field in the account's profile).

You're receiving this message because your account's name is on the list of selected account names to be targeted, and your account is potentially at risk. We highly advise you to change your password, and ensure that your password is different from your RuneScape account's password (ideally unique to all of your Internet accounts). Make sure your password is at least 8 characters in length, and contains a mix of letters, numbers, and other characters.

Thanks,
Sal + The Forum Staff

I would reply back to Salmoneus but I highly doubt he would reply back with hundreds of people following. (I am grateful for the heads up though [luckily my passwords are different :lol: ])

Anyways, I'm curious to how exactly did the hackers acquire the password of our sals accounts. Weren't we vowed that our passwords would be safely stored? I am also curious to how exactly you found out about the issue.

Obviously only the staff can answer this but feel free to discuss below  ;)

Edited by Spirit Hc, 01 June 2009 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Ruin

Ruin

Guthan the Infested

• Forum Member
  • 4,032 posts
  • Joined 16 November 2007
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

how does sal know which ones of our accounts are on the target list?

#3 OFFLINE   Lee M16

Lee M16

Shaikahan

• Forum Member
  • 2,181 posts
  • Joined 30 January 2007
  • Skin: Deviant

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

He responded to me within a few minutes when I messaged him. (My one time of Sal answering my pm lol)

Sal said:

A few of our moderators hunted down the responsible site using good old fashioned "police" work. tongue.gif

We'll be posting more info in an announcement shortly. smile.gif

-Sal santa.gif

And he said that they were trying to use common passwords, as in those that people commonly use on websites.
This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

#4 OFFLINE   Hybrid

Hybrid

Knight of Ardougne

• Forum Member
  • 1,322 posts
  • Joined 26 November 2006

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

View PostLee M16, on Jun 1 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

He responded to me within a few minutes when I messaged him. (My one time of Sal answering my pm lol)

Sal said:

A few of our moderators hunted down the responsible site using good old fashioned "police" work. tongue.gif

We'll be posting more info in an announcement shortly. smile.gif

-Sal santa.gif

And he said that they were trying to use common passwords, as in those that people commonly use on websites.

Sal said:

We don't want to share the URL or the list yet, mainly because if we do, some people are bound to try and get "revenge" on the site in question, which is definitely going to make things even worse.

I can assure you that this isn't a prank, and we'll be working with Jagex to sort this out ASAP.

That is what he told me when I asked him to show me that list.  :lol:

Hopefully Sal and JaGex are able to work together to resolve this issue. (I too have been targeted by the hackers. ;) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users