IPB Elegia Style© Fisana

Dark Bow Vs. Rune Cross-bow Which is better?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cabcabdumy

cabcabdumy

Wise Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 06 August 2009
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Since I used the Search engine and found no such topic:

Which is better? The Dark Bow, or the Rune Cross-Bow?

I've heard both ways, The Dark Bow is better for training with steel arrows and up, that the Cbow hits harder/is more accurate, etc.

Post which you prefer, why, what ammo would you use for training/Monster hunting, and if neither, then what?

Please be very specific and detailed.  :rolleyes:

Edited by cabcabdumy, 05 March 2010 - 10:29 AM.

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Easl

Easl

Grated Cheese

• Forum Member
  • 7,663 posts
  • Joined 18 May 2006
  • R.S. Name: Brommagedon
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Crossbow, only use the darkbow for pking or mole. You'd probably be better off with a magic shortbow or darts though :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   cabcabdumy

cabcabdumy

Wise Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 06 August 2009

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Why would that be?   :rolleyes:

Faster rate of fire?

More accurate?

Better damage?

Comon' expound on your statement.  :)

*edit* Speelcheck  :)

Edited by cabcabdumy, 04 March 2010 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   SatansFate

SatansFate

Shaikahan

• Forum Member
  • 2,155 posts
  • Joined 04 May 2009
  • Skin: Delicate

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

At your level neither the rune c'bow or dark bow hits that high. I recommend magic short bow with iron-mithril arrows or iron-mithril knives.
At about level 65 switch to rune c'bow and mithril or broad bolts.

#5 OFFLINE   cabcabdumy

cabcabdumy

Wise Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 06 August 2009

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

For Monster Hunting/Boss killing, or for training?

Please be very specific. :rolleyes:

Edited by cabcabdumy, 04 March 2010 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   SatansFate

SatansFate

Shaikahan

• Forum Member
  • 2,155 posts
  • Joined 04 May 2009

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

both...

#7 OFFLINE   Sleepy

Sleepy

Dharok the Wretched

• Forum Member
  • 3,633 posts
  • Joined 19 October 2009

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

The dark bow is used for its special to KO people when you are pking. The special always hits and it hits high. Other then that, there isn't much reason to use it. Training with it would be like training with a 2h.
Cbows hit hard and let you use a shield but are also pretty slow. They are good when you are fighting dragons cause you can have the protection from the fire breath.

You should listen to SatansFate and stick with a shortbow so you can actually get experience.

#8 OFFLINE   SatansFate

SatansFate

Shaikahan

• Forum Member
  • 2,155 posts
  • Joined 04 May 2009

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

Or a cannon, if you have the money...

#9 OFFLINE   Liger

Liger

Chocolate Cake

• Forum Member
  • 543 posts
  • Joined 14 July 2007
  • R.S. Name: QuakeTotem
  • R.S. Status: Inactive

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Rune Cbow is definately better. It hits hard, has more varied ammo, is usable with a shield, and it is useful in most any situation. Dark bow is mostly used for pking.

I'd also like to add that the Cbow and it's ammo is much, much cheaper than the darkbow.

#10 OFFLINE   PaladinPker

PaladinPker

Shade

• Forum Member
  • 3,275 posts
  • Joined 21 February 2010

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Lets put it this way...

DarkBow = godsword... but slower
I've heard that while training in nonmulti, you can be ksed even if you're already hitting the monster...
While I think this is an exaggeration, the dark bow is way too slow...

Train with knives is my suggestion...
~May your arrow fly true, and your blade strike fear into those who cross your path.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   The Who?

The Who?

Greater Demon

• Forum Member
  • 2,696 posts
  • Joined 20 November 2006
  • Skin: IP.Board
  • R.S. Name: Free Beers
  • R.S. Status: Inactive

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

PvP
It really depends here, as a rule of thumb, for low level defense (50-) you should use msb, dragon darts, or rune knives for your standard weapon. To ko, both are good options, I would tend to go with dark bow since you can get good specs (30-30s) even at only 85 range, where as d bolts cost a bloody fortune, and aren't consistent. For higher defense levels, the rune crossbow is your best option for everything. It has a great range bonus, and good speed, you could bring along Morgan's javelins for their spec, though.

Training
Neither. Knives are much better for training, and chins are by far the best if you have the cash.

Bossing
Rune crossbow is by far the better of the two since there are many viable options for the special attack, and the c bow accuracy is very valuable. Depending on the boss hand cannon and crystal bow might work too.
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Orc

• Forum Member
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 25 July 2009
  • R.S. Name: R10T
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

PaladinPker, on Mar 4 2010, 03:27 PM, said:

Lets put it this way...

DarkBow = godsword... but slower
I've heard that while training in nonmulti, you can be ksed even if you're already hitting the monster...
While I think this is an exaggeration, the dark bow is way too slow...

Train with knives is my suggestion...

+1

Knife training is really fast.
Let's start a Riot; A Riot...
Posted Image
Arizona Green Tea is the greatest thing ever. True story bro.

#13 OFFLINE   cabcabdumy

cabcabdumy

Wise Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 06 August 2009

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

I don't really mean for me personaly. I meant the Thread to lean more in the "Which is better in General."

So most people so far see the Dark Bow only good for a PK quick KO, while the Rune CBow is better over all.

On a side note, I've hear that Red Chimwhatcha'-ma-calllits are great for training. (Sals Ranged guide)
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   gazisere

gazisere

Saradomin Wizard

• Forum Member
  • 3,488 posts
  • Joined 10 April 2006
  • R.S. Name: gazisere

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yes, I would use Rune C'Bow over Dark Bow everywhere, apart from in Bounty Hunter. Although, even in Bounty Hunter I would use Rune C'Bow and then change to Dark Bow when necessary.

cabcabdumy, on Mar 5 2010, 03:31 PM, said:

On a side note, I've hear that Red Chimwhatcha'-ma-calllits are great for training. (Sals Ranged guide)

This is true, although is compensated by the big price tag. Unless you have a lot of money to waste or are hunting them yourself, it's not worth it to be honest.

-gazisere :rolleyes:

#15 OFFLINE   Xaene

Xaene

Monkey

• Forum Member
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 30 April 2006
  • R.S. Name: Xaene

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

Dark bow is a very niche training item, only useful for must-range high armour things like black demons and kalphite guardians, and only at mid-high range lvls. For when you need the super accuracy of the dark bow to punch through heavy armour on things that are normally resistant to range. Not on metallic dragons obviously or anything else that shoots back. And when you get higher lvls that you dont need the uber accuracy and can murder black demons easy, then the rune crossbow is better and the dbow becomes pretty useless as a training weapon.

Rune crossbow for.. pretty much everything else. Broadbolts are probably the best ammo in the game in terms of cost VS usefulness and accuracy and damage. Emerald(e) for special things like metallic drags where you cant kill em fast so need to have poison hits helping you out, Ruby(e) for high hp and high armour guys ( quest bosses, gwd bosses, mith drags, kbd, kq, corp beast and the like ) with Diamond(e) as a finisher once their hp is down enough to make the blood drain spec less effective.

Even the bone/dorgeshaun crossbow + bone bolts ( cheapest range ammo you will find anywhere but still very good ) is a better choice combo than MSB + mithril arrows or weaker, let alone Zaniks cbow which is even more powerful and accurate, so the MSB is nearly obsolete once you can use it in my opinion.

Knives/darts are good on things with lowish range defense only cause their accuracy is poor.. so not bad if you are getting bloodvelds for slayer or anything else that is a big defenseless meat bag you can stick with sharp pointy things and not miss often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users