#21 OFFLINE   Aliath

Aliath

Red Dragon

• Forum Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 22 July 2008
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

Anyone know of some darker fantasy novels?

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   Buland

Buland

Shade

• Forum Member
  • 3,276 posts
  • Joined 22 February 2008
  • R.S. Name: Buland
  • R.S. Status: Inactive
  • Clan: Bee Hunters

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

View PostJakey, on Aug 6 2010, 10:21 PM, said:

How about giving Darren Shan's Demonata series a try? Or you can also opt for his Saga of Darren Shan series also known as the Cirque Du Freak series. I've read the latter in it's entirety and found the plot quite compelling.

Posted Image

~Roll up your problems, lick your solutions, burn your past, inhale the good sh*t, and exhale the bullsh*t~

#23 OFFLINE   Luna

Luna

Drunken Dwarf

• Forum Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined 05 October 2008
  • R.S. Name: Cenderous
  • R.S. Status: Freeplayer

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:40 AM

Alice Sebold is quite a good writer. For modern gothic, I just discovered a book called The Thirteenth Tale: mysterious and oddly compelling. My favorite non-fiction book is the Omnivore's Dilemma, which makes for a very humorous and informative read.

Edited by Esperluette, 07 August 2010 - 02:40 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Aliath

Aliath

Red Dragon

• Forum Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 22 July 2008

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'd have to say, my favorite book of all time would have to be A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

And, while I was on vacation I read The Time Traveler's Wife. It was actually pretty good.

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   Samsara

Samsara

BLAT!

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined 31 July 2006
  • R.S. Name: M Samsara
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

View PostJakey, on Aug 7 2010, 09:42 AM, said:

I'd have to say, my favorite book of all time would have to be A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

And, while I was on vacation I read The Time Traveler's Wife. It was actually pretty good.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of my favorite books. A highly enjoyable read.

Plan on finishing up The Grapes of Wrath today.

#26 OFFLINE   Blue

Blue

Rogue

• Forum Member
  • 496 posts
  • Joined 11 March 2010

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

View PostBuland, on Aug 6 2010, 10:25 AM, said:

View Postrabbitfuzzy0, on Aug 6 2010, 08:08 PM, said:

View PostBuland, on Aug 6 2010, 06:53 AM, said:

Can anyone recommend me a fantasy series? Something similar to the works of Tolkien (LOTR). I haven't had a good fantasy read in a long time. :unsure:

Also, how's The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (spelling?)?

Cough Cough.

Recommendation #1: Warriors by Erin Hunter.
Recommendation #2: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by...uhh... I forget.
Recommendation #3: Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan.
Recommendation #4: Septimus Heap by... not sure either...
Recommendation #5: This series doesn't really have a name, so I'll just list a few books: The Fire Within, Icefire, Fire Star, The Fire Eternal, all are Dragon books by Chris d'Lacey
Recommendation #6: Guardians of Ga'Hoole by I don't know as well. :huh:

These are good series. Read them or die. Oh wait I forgot about Percy Jackson. Put that in one of the top reccomendations. Although I felt that the first and second book were slightly rushed, the fifth book was just amazing.
I remember having Ranger's Apprentice lying around. Just thought I should give it a read after finishing The Alchemist. Thanks for the recommendations, Wabbit! I'll start with the fifth recommendation. :mellow:

I have read #2, 3, and 5. They were all great books, however, if you're looking for something along the lines of Tolkein, they may not be exactly what you are looking for. They're all extremely easy reads (in comparison), but are still enjoyable. Just figured I'd let you know. :/

#27 OFFLINE   Aliath

Aliath

Red Dragon

• Forum Member
  • 4,489 posts
  • Joined 22 July 2008

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Just started The Colour of Magic. It's awesome. :huh:

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   -CoSMIC Gears-

-CoSMIC Gears-

Posessed Pickaxe

• Forum Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Joined 04 July 2009

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

View PostBlue, on Aug 7 2010, 03:02 PM, said:

View PostBuland, on Aug 6 2010, 10:25 AM, said:

View Postrabbitfuzzy0, on Aug 6 2010, 08:08 PM, said:

View PostBuland, on Aug 6 2010, 06:53 AM, said:

Can anyone recommend me a fantasy series? Something similar to the works of Tolkien (LOTR). I haven't had a good fantasy read in a long time. :mellow:

Cough Cough.

Recommendation #1: Warriors by Erin Hunter.
Recommendation #2: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by...uhh... I forget.
Recommendation #3: Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan.
Recommendation #4: Septimus Heap by... not sure either...
Recommendation #5: This series doesn't really have a name, so I'll just list a few books: The Fire Within, Icefire, Fire Star, The Fire Eternal, all are Dragon books by Chris d'Lacey
Recommendation #6: Guardians of Ga'Hoole by I don't know as well. :huh:

These are good series. Read them or die. Oh wait I forgot about Percy Jackson. Put that in one of the top reccomendations. Although I felt that the first and second book were slightly rushed, the fifth book was just amazing.
I remember having Ranger's Apprentice lying around. Just thought I should give it a read after finishing The Alchemist. Thanks for the recommendations, Wabbit! I'll start with the fifth recommendation. :/

I have read #2, 3, and 5. They were all great books, however, if you're looking for something along the lines of Tolkein, they may not be exactly what you are looking for. They're all extremely easy reads (in comparison), but are still enjoyable. Just figured I'd let you know. :wub:

They're easy yet sooo enjoyable. :unsure:
Spoiler

SuperMIC was one of my other names. :o

If you've done it once, you can do it again.
-Rabbitfuzzy0

There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs.
-Anonymous

#29 OFFLINE   As

As

Kurask

• Forum Member
  • 3,349 posts
  • Joined 23 September 2008
  • R.S. Name: As780
  • Clan: Sals

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostJakey, on Aug 7 2010, 03:21 AM, said:

The Dark Elf Trilogy, I've only read the first, but I thoroughly enjoyed and the mention of "darker fantasy" reminded me to get on reading the rest. :huh:

As

Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   Luna

Luna

Drunken Dwarf

• Forum Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined 05 October 2008

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

The Dragonlance series was very good, as well.

#31 OFFLINE   -CoSMIC Gears-

-CoSMIC Gears-

Posessed Pickaxe

• Forum Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Joined 04 July 2009

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

View PostEsperluette, on Aug 8 2010, 04:43 AM, said:

The Dragonlance series was very good, as well.

Might try. Is it a challenging read? Because I like easy ones, which challenge me in almost no way whatsoever. :huh:
Spoiler

-Rabbitfuzzy0

-Anonymous

#32 OFFLINE   Vaskor

Vaskor

Skeletal Wyvern

• Forum Member
  • 969 posts
  • Joined 03 December 2006
  • R.S. Name: Vaskor
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

View PostBuland, on Aug 6 2010, 02:53 AM, said:

Can anyone recommend me a fantasy series? Something similar to the works of Tolkien (LOTR). I haven't had a good fantasy read in a long time. :huh:

I'd highly recommend Bartimaeus trilogy. Somewhere between Harry Potter and LOTR, but far far better than Harry Potter with heroes being rather more real.

The Alchemist is a good book. Actually, if you haven't read anything by Coelho, go for it - you are bound to enjoy it. I started with the Alchemist and liked it a lot, but then moved to other Coelho's books only to realize how repetitive he was... He was also a bit crazy about religion and stuff.

Edited by Vaskor, 08 August 2010 - 08:14 PM.

Owner of RuneWise and writer of Runescape Reader's Digest

#33 OFFLINE   Samsara

Samsara

BLAT!

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined 31 July 2006
  • R.S. Name: M Samsara

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

View PostVaskor, on Aug 8 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

Can anyone recommend me a fantasy series? Something similar to the works of Tolkien (LOTR). I haven't had a good fantasy read in a long time. :huh:

I'd highly recommend Bartimaeus trilogy. Somewhere between Harry Potter and LOTR, but far far better than Harry Potter with heroes being rather more real.

The Alchemist is a good book. Actually, if you haven't read anything by Coelho, go for it - you are bound to enjoy it. I started with the Alchemist and liked it a lot, but then moved to other Coelho's books only to realize how repetitive he was... He was also a bit crazy about religion and stuff.

I read the Bartimaeus Trilogy and I agree. It's a much darker setting than Harry Potter and the hero is much more realistic. It has a very likable protagonist (referring to Bartimaeus) who is very humorous unlike his setting.

Very good read.

#34 OFFLINE   Vaskor

Vaskor

Skeletal Wyvern

• Forum Member
  • 969 posts
  • Joined 03 December 2006
  • R.S. Name: Vaskor
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

View PostJakey, on Aug 6 2010, 10:21 AM, said:

Well, Edgar Allan Poe immediately comes to mind. He started the genre and I think he is still one of the best, if not the best. Lovecraft's novels are also quite good and creepy, but not as good as Poe's, IMO.

As far as modern dark fantasy series, try George Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire".
Owner of RuneWise and writer of Runescape Reader's Digest

#35 OFFLINE   Blue

Blue

Rogue

• Forum Member
  • 496 posts
  • Joined 11 March 2010

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

View PostSamsara, on Aug 8 2010, 09:04 PM, said:

View PostVaskor, on Aug 8 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

I read the Bartimaeus Trilogy and I agree. It's a much darker setting than Harry Potter and the hero is much more realistic. It has a very likable protagonist (referring to Bartimaeus) who is very humorous unlike his setting.

Very good read.

I picked the whole trilogy up a few days ago from the library. I read the first book a few years back, but don't remember much of it. Glad to hear people are recommending it. :unsure:

#36 OFFLINE   -CoSMIC Gears-

-CoSMIC Gears-

Posessed Pickaxe

• Forum Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Joined 04 July 2009

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Actually, there's one thing I'd like to comment about this being a sub-forum:

It wouldn't really be of much use, as when you create topics it would just go on for so little before it died. I really wouldn't support this becoming a sub-forum, but it would have my full support on becoming a sticky.
Spoiler

-Rabbitfuzzy0

-Anonymous

#37 OFFLINE   Buland

Buland

Shade

• Forum Member
  • 3,276 posts
  • Joined 22 February 2008
  • R.S. Name: Buland
  • R.S. Status: Inactive
  • Clan: Bee Hunters

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

View Postrabbitfuzzy0, on Aug 9 2010, 08:14 AM, said:

Actually, there's one thing I'd like to comment about this being a sub-forum:

It wouldn't really be of much use, as when you create topics it would just go on for so little before it died. I really wouldn't support this becoming a sub-forum, but it would have my full support on becoming a sticky.
I agree. This thread has received quite a lot of attention and should be stickied.

Posted Image

~Roll up your problems, lick your solutions, burn your past, inhale the good sh*t, and exhale the bullsh*t~

#38 OFFLINE   Master Neverdead

Master Neverdead

In Verses, Prophecies, and Curses

• Retired/Inactive Mod
  • 1,534 posts
  • Joined 08 October 2005
  • R.S. Name: Hexias

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Did someone mention Dragonlance!!??

My ALL time favorite fantasy series, bar none. The language is easy to read, to answer a question asked earlier, but the plot is one-of-a-kind and quite complex in many places. Particularly in the Twins Trilogy where the fabric of time, relationships and the pantheon are all torn asunder. The characters are so relatable that I feel like I actually knew them and that I've been to Solace for real rather that just in my imagination (I can literally taste Otik's Spiced Potatoes as my wife fixes them occasionally). No one does characterization better than Margaret Weis and no one in the realm of fantasy is better a spinning intricate webs of intrigue than Tracy Hickman.

That said, the best book I've ever read is Emergence by David R. Palmer. It is written entirely in Pitman shorthand yet there is more plot and characterization then I could ever hope to muster using normal typewriting. It is a science fiction novel about a young girl who emerges from her underground safehouse to a post apocalyptic world. Best. Book. Ever.

Posted Image
Eternal Kudos to Naughty
"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it." - Leo Calvin Rosten

#39 OFFLINE   Luna

Luna

Drunken Dwarf

• Forum Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined 05 October 2008

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

I have changed my mind.

Atlas Shrugged is good once you overlook the errors and read it purely for self-aggrandizement. It does wonders for one's ego; in the Atlas Shrugged universe, I can convince myself that I am a burgeoning genius and people misunderstand me simply because they are afraid of being overcome by my intellect and vigor in thought. Unfortunately, I am not Lord Kelvin, but I am better than him and will prove it to the world after I have written a 348-page doctoral thesis (at age twelve!) proving my intellectual superiorty over the downtrodden masses.

#40 OFFLINE   -CoSMIC Gears-

-CoSMIC Gears-

Posessed Pickaxe

• Forum Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Joined 04 July 2009

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

View PostEsperluette, on Aug 14 2010, 02:29 AM, said:

I have changed my mind.

Atlas Shrugged is good once you overlook the errors and read it purely for self-aggrandizement. It does wonders for one's ego; in the Atlas Shrugged universe, I can convince myself that I am a burgeoning genius and people misunderstand me simply because they are afraid of being overcome by my intellect and vigor in thought. Unfortunately, I am not Lord Kelvin, but I am better than him and will prove it to the world after I have written a 348-page doctoral thesis (at age twelve!) proving my intellectual superiorty over the downtrodden masses.

Oh my.

(Cue some like, Star Wars music or something...)

ALL MUST BOW TO LORD LUNA.
Spoiler

-Rabbitfuzzy0

-Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users