BLAT!

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined 31 July 2006
  • Skin: Elegia
  • R.S. Name: M Samsara
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

We’ve added a veritable bounty of high-level rewards to our minigames, including armour sets to boost Thieving and Runecrafting XP gain, macabre customisation options for dark magic users and an infernally adorable pet Jad. If there’s a minigame that you’ve never tried before, or one that you’ve not played for a long time, now is a terrific time to start!

New equipment

We’ve added 5 entirely new sets of gear which are now available to high-level minigame devotees.

Master runecrafter robes: This set is available to arcane scholars persistently participating in the Great Orb Project. In addition to all the stat bonuses of the lower-level Runecrafting robes, each piece of this set offers a bonus to Runecrafting XP gain, with a total bonus of +2.5% when the whole set is worn.

Black Ibis outfit: Once worn by members of an ancient, secret society, this clothing can be obtained through Pyramid Plunder. In a similar vein to the Master Runecrafter Robes, each article of clothing provides a bonus to Thieving XP gain (with a few exceptions), for a total of +2.5% for the whole set.

Hybrid armour: These three new armour sets provide substantial bonuses to multi-talented combatants while playing Castle Wars, Soul Wars, Fist of Guthix and TzHaar Fight Pits:

• Battle-mage armour: This set is great for warrior-wizards who use both melee and magic to overcome opponents.
  • Trickster armour: Ideal for the cunning combatant who needs to switch between ranged and magical attacks at a moment’s notice.
  • Vanguard armour: Perfect for the versatile frontline fighter who likes to weaken enemies at range before closing to finish the job in melee.

While these hybrid armour sets provide no benefits to statistics outside of PVP minigames, they do look very cool.

Posted Image

Quake with fear, humans!

The moment it burst forth from its infernal cocoon in the sulphurous depths of the TzHaar City, the infant TzRek-Jad was ready for battle. While domestic life isn’t quite what it envisaged, it can now be acquired by Soul Wars players who are skilled enough to handle it as a pet. When it looks up at you with its big, winsome eyes, you can never be quite sure whether it’s planning to crush your skull or just wants its belly rubbed. However, it doesn’t need feeding and will not run away, and is an excellent deterrent to unwelcome doorstep canvassers.

Posted Image

Customisation Options

Those with no qualms about exploring the most depraved avenues of arcane knowledge can now obtain items from Shades of Mort’ton with which to customise their equipment. First of these is the shade skull, which can be attached to elemental staves or battlestaves by high-level crafters for a newly ghoulish appearance. Those who delve deeper, however, may find a necromancer’s kit which can be used to upgrade the Dagon’hai robes, giving them a Prayer bonus and a new, macabre look.

...and many more!

There are plenty of other great rewards to be won by dedicated minigame players, including:

• Proximity chinchompas for use in Castle Wars.
  • Glistening shells that grant bonus XP on the Fishing Trawler, as well as tiger sharks to catch and cook, and shark’s teeth to craft into necklaces.
  • New lunar spells including ‘Borrowed Power’, which allows lunar magic users to use selected offensive spells.

To start, play any of the following minigames. See the individual minigame pages for full details of the rewards:

• Castle Wars
  • Stealing Creation
  • Fist of Guthix
  • Pest Control
  • Shades of Mort’ton
  • Fishing Trawler
  • Great Orb Project
  • Pyramid Plunder
  • TzHaar Fight Pits
  • Soul Wars

Posted Image

Mod Raven

In other news...

• In Morytania, as the moon waxes red, the gloom grows close and oppressive and whispers in the dark become harder to ignore. The men and women of Burgh de Rott dare not speak of the impending darkness, but the voices of innocents still ring clearly in that murky fenland town...
  • Players who have unlocked wishes in the Livid Farm minigame have been refunded the produce points spent on them. Wishes are no longer accessible until the Borrowed Power spell has been purchased.
  • Finally, we've made some changes to the way that the 'skulled' status is applied while in the Wilderness. More information can be found here.

Edited by Samsara, 23 August 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Ootachi

Ootachi

Culinaromancer

• Forum Member
  • 7,111 posts
  • Joined 24 November 2007
  • R.S. Name: Ootachi

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

Are the Runecrafter robes P2P only?

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Jethraw

Jethraw

Can you dig it, Sucka?

• Forum Member
  • 3,830 posts
  • Joined 19 July 2008
  • R.S. Name: Low Ki
  • , Tim<3sJammy
  • OldSchool RS Name: Low Ki
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Well the minigame is both FTP and P2P and the Knowledge Base doesn't say it's exclusive to members, so I'm assuming it isn't.

Looks like a good week though :( Started camping SW for my baby Jad.

#4 OFFLINE   Samsara

Samsara

BLAT!

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,181 posts
  • Joined 31 July 2006
  • R.S. Name: M Samsara

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

I thought that this update was really interesting. I like how they're breathing new life into the minigames, although I see that Mobilising Armies has been mostly ignored. :D

It's disappointing that the hybrid armor has no effects outside of the minigames. I know that several people were highly anticipating them as a form of Void 3.0.

I like the little teaser for the new Myreque quest at the end. :(

Shades of Mort'ton update looks like it's going to be overlooked. The re-buff of Dagon'hai Robes looks like it has good potential! I only wish that you could customize stuff beyond the basic elemental staves. :D

The Lunar Spellbook update looks huge. I feel like it has a lot of unrealized impact. It may be of great use in Dungeoneering or in PvP.

Good update! :P

#5 OFFLINE   Breakwater

Breakwater

Newbie Forumer

• 3 posts
  • Joined 06 August 2010

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

View PostOotachi, on Aug 23 2011, 10:16 PM, said:

sadly they are p2p only

Can you imagine a world without hypothetical situations?

#6 OFFLINE   Jacky

Jacky

Ninja Imp

• Forum Member
  • 12,187 posts
  • Joined 16 January 2007
  • Skin: Delicate

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

*Using an arcane capacitor necklace, the Borrowed Power spell allows you to cast the following spells:

Wind wave
    Water Wave
    Earth Wave
    Fire Wave
    Entangle
    Enfeeble
    Telekinetic Grab
+trollheim teles, but there are tabs for that

Would had been nice if hybrid armor was availible for outside minigames, but meh, at least theres content for once. :(
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Hunter

Hunter

Witchwood Icon

• Forum Member
  • 5,242 posts
  • Joined 03 January 2009
  • R.S. Name: Antilopi

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

shizzle, I need to play 40 hours of Livid now :D That's a disappointment.

I like the teaser for the new quest, and I'll be trying to get some of this bridding armour :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   dark deemed

dark deemed

Rogue

• Forum Member
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 01 November 2009
  • Skin: IP.Board

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

People will be raging about playing more Livid Farm. :D Very nice update overall. More xp boosting gear is always welcome as long as it isn't too overpowered.

Fake Edit:Master Runecrafting robes are 15k tokens a piece.  :( There goes my chances of getting it.

#9 OFFLINE   Erebus

Erebus

Ahrim the Blighted

• Forum Member
  • 3,143 posts
  • Joined 28 April 2006
  • Clan: Canting

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

While the Hybrid armor might not have effects outside of mini-games its defensive stats alone are quite impressive. Currently Battlemage and Vanguard are better melee armor than barrows and I believe torva as well in all categories and they give strength bonuses. From the looks of things it's just range defense in which Bandos/barrows/torva is the better armor. I haven't taken a good look at mage defense but I imagine that's probably pretty nice as well.

But with that said can anyone confirm that these sets have no value outside of mini-games? I really hope their defensive stats carry into the rest of the game because that would be quite nice. And if they don't that makes them a kind of lame reward.

Edited by Erebus, 23 August 2011 - 11:16 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 ONLINE   Zooey

Zooey

Verac the Defiled

• Forum Member
  • 3,822 posts
  • Joined 19 September 2006

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

While these hybrid armour sets provide no benefits to statistics outside of PVP minigames, they do look very cool.

I'm not complaining, but this sentence bothers me. :(
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Hunter

Hunter

Witchwood Icon

• Forum Member
  • 5,242 posts
  • Joined 03 January 2009

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Tell you what, Pits are impossible to get armour on atm :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Yuanrang

Yuanrang

Dura Lex, Sed Lex.

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,819 posts
  • Joined 04 November 2005
  • Skin: IP.Board
  • R.S. Name: Yuanrang

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

View PostHunter, on Aug 23 2011, 06:12 PM, said:

Tell you what, Pits are impossible to get armour on atm :P
This might be a dumb question but... I would've figured that you could get pieces without winning Fight Pits? It makes no sense that it's just the winner that gets an item considering its King of the Hill nature. :(

The armor looks insanely nice though, but with those level requirements being that massive, they damn well ought to be worth it too. :D

It's especially gudhak for someone like me that always had a habit of taking 2-3 sets to Castle Wars, just to have fun. :D

Posted Image
Remember The Titans!

If you have a valid complaint about a punishment given for an infraction,
please contact one of our Administrator Overlords or PM me.

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   -Leaf-

-Leaf-

Greater Demon

• Forum Member
  • 2,666 posts
  • Joined 26 March 2011
  • R.S. Name: Leaaf
  • Clan: DeeGeeEss

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

View PostOotachi, on Aug 23 2011, 07:16 AM, said:

Here are a few of the objects you could start earning points for now:
•TzRek Jad, a pet that will require 99 Summoning, 99 Slayer, 100 zeal points AND you will have to hand over a fire cape. Obtained from Soul Wars.
•Master runecrafter robes. These will provide a boost to Runecrafting XP when worn. Obtained from the Great Orb Project. These robes will be for members only*.
•New Livid Farm spells, including new teleports, access to new patches and the ability to add specific non-lunar spells to the Lunar Spellbook.

* Addition to the BTS made on 8th August

View PostSobend, on 15 June 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

I never read posts more than 3 lines.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Hunter

Hunter

Witchwood Icon

• Forum Member
  • 5,242 posts
  • Joined 03 January 2009

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostYuanrang, on Aug 23 2011, 06:23 PM, said:

View PostHunter, on Aug 23 2011, 06:12 PM, said:

Tell you what, Pits are impossible to get armour on atm :P
This might be a dumb question but... I would've figured that you could get pieces without winning Fight Pits? It makes no sense that it's just the winner that gets an item considering its King of the Hill nature. :(

The armor looks insanely nice though, but with those level requirements being that massive, they damn well ought to be worth it too. :D

It's especially gudhak for someone like me that always had a habit of taking 2-3 sets to Castle Wars, just to have fun. :D

Yes; but on the official world, you're looking at clans camping the place and carrying games on for 30+ minutes (we had two people with SS and Rapiers 1-hitting endless waves of level 90 Xil's). Otherwise, you can hardly find people to play with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 ONLINE   Moog

Moog

Cabbage

• Forum Member
  • 3,056 posts
  • Joined 13 April 2010
  • R.S. Name: Merlinn

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

More high level stuff, so none of this effects me at all.

Maybe next month some mid and low level stuff will appear...
>implying

#16 OFFLINE   Failboaticus

Failboaticus

Ent

• Forum Member
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 03 September 2009
  • R.S. Name: Failboaticus
  • Clan: Cylvus

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

Jagex said the armor is purely cosmetic outside of those minigames

View Postlilshu, on Aug 16 2011, 06:57 PM, said:

I am thoroughly disappointed with the lack of MILF talk :c

View PostIce Blue, on Sep 17 2011, 07:52 AM, said:

Let the man fap in peace!  >.<

#17 OFFLINE   -Leaf-

-Leaf-

Greater Demon

• Forum Member
  • 2,666 posts
  • Joined 26 March 2011

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

Necromancer armour has about half the Prayer bonus of Proselyte. So much for hoping that it would help rebalance the Triangle.

I appreciate how Jagex is trying to revive minigames, but they don't seem to realize why these minigames are dead in the first place - in particular, Fist of Botting, Bot Control, 1-Task-in-Ardy-Achievements Trawler, Great Bot Project, and Soul Botters.

Castle Wars already has its own special armour anyway, and I can't think of any reason people will play SW, FoG, or Fight Pits enough to justify the time it takes to get the hybrid armour.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Helm Lardar

Helm Lardar

Aberrant Specter

• Forum Member
  • 2,828 posts
  • Joined 05 October 2009

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

Some thoughts on this:

It's a carefully thought update that gives people some good reasons to relook at old content that they might have missed or perhaps just forgotten about.  Many of these minigames already have great rewards, so giving them extra ones encourages players to look at the ones that were around before too and see if they can use them.

In addition, some minigames that didn't need updating necessarily have been given high level  rewards.  They're difficult to get, and it seems that they are intended to be something you get on the side while enjoying the minigames for what they are.

The Master RC robes are a good idea.  They look good, take a while to get, and ultimately aren't entirely worth it if you don't like GOP: that's how it should be.  If you do like GOP however, they're a great bonus.

The ibis set has had some stupid, stupid setbacks placed on it.  Because Pyramid Plunder and Blackjacking are already good enough xp, they have decided that the bonus will not be applied there.  Not only is this stupid because it doesn't apply in the area you got it, it's also stupid because pickpocketing monkey knife  fighters is already better xp than both of those.  An example of how poorly some of the Jagex mods understand their own game.  Apart from anything else, if thieving is fast enough then you didn't need to add a special clothing set, did you?

The necromancer kits are hard to get and look good, adding something useful for mages.  Given that you don't always use prayer as a mage (because you're behind a safespot or whatever) this looks pretty useful for the more offensive prayers.  The shade skull, on the other hand, is useless, hard to get, and looks stupid-it's a poorly designed skull on a poorly designed stave.  Staves are in great need of a graphical update (as is all low-level armour) and while this could have been that chance it wasn't.  They rushed it and failed.

The hybrid armour is tough to get.  I imagine you have to win fight pits to get a chance, I imagine it's very rare to find peices, if it isn't playing just a large, set number of games, but it seems a nice idea for those that enjoy those minigames anyway.  Apart from anything else, their looks makes them hugely desirable.

The new pet seems cool for those that can get it.  It's not as useful, perhaps, as the ghast familiar, but it's still quite good fun, and it never runs away.  That in itself is something of a blessing.

I won't comment on fishing trawler and proximity chinchompas because I don't know enough about them.

Teleport to Trollheim seems extremely useful...even more so because on release you could get 9Mxp/hr out of it *facepalm*.  But yeah, that's a good spell.  It's a shame 'borrow power' doesn't have the surge spells in it, because at the moment it would seem to be truly useless.  Borrow power?  What power?  Now, if you could teleblock, snare, and surge...that would be different.  Or even cast ancient magic!  That would be very interesting!  

A new 'elf bard' in morytania.  Useful, I suppose, for those with no acess to RS wiki or for those who did the quest so long ago they forgot what the series was even called.  Cool enough.

Stealing creation shields initially seem a bit overpowered compared to the rest of the armour, but I don't know how hard they are to get or how long they last.  So I can't really comment.

Overall I'd say it is a good update, bringing fresh life to a lot of old content.  However, a few areas for improvement seem to have been missed.

Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

#19 OFFLINE   Forrest Jump

Forrest Jump

Godsword

• Forum Member
  • 10,730 posts
  • Joined 18 November 2007
  • R.S. Name: ForrestJump

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I'm extremely disapointed with the hybrid armors. Without use in the normal game I can't see myself ever getting a set.

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   -Leaf-

-Leaf-

Greater Demon

• Forum Member
  • 2,666 posts
  • Joined 26 March 2011

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

View PostHelm Lardar, on Aug 24 2011, 02:20 AM, said:

Teleport to Trollheim seems extremely useful...even more so because on release you could get 9Mxp/hr out of it *facepalm*.  But yeah, that's a good spell.  It's a shame 'borrow power' doesn't have the surge spells in it, because at the moment it would seem to be truly useless.  Borrow power?  What power?  Now, if you could teleblock, snare, and surge...that would be different.  Or even cast ancient magic!  That would be very interesting!
It was 1.8m/hr, not 9m, according to a vid I saw. Still insanely high, but still.
You can entangle, not snare. However, Bolas make this redundant.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users