• 10,471 posts
  • Joined 13 January 2006
  • Skin: Deviant

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

View PostMr FANG, on Nov 15 2011, 04:30 PM, said:

LOL AT HIGHSCORES

ahahahahahaha

Oh my god I smell a riot.
It's not like a lot of people care about the highscores, and the few who do are most likely members so they're not affected by this update or simply cba to complain/riot about it.

3xtermination | Clan Legacy | Dark Dragon Breath
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   And drew

And drew

Abyssal Leech

• Forum Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Joined 02 November 2009
  • Skin: IP.Board

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

View PostDei Wei, on Nov 15 2011, 12:51 PM, said:

View PostJacky, on Nov 15 2011, 04:44 PM, said:

Typical jagex. Give out a good update and bad update at the same time. (dicing/wiki/hiscores)
I'm friends with Water (one of best f2ps) and I feel so bad for them. I hope they let f2p with over 1400 total and people with 200m in all skills stay in the hs.

This really is a kick in the face for those top f2pers. Also old legends will dissappear from the highscores.
High-level forum rage prompted them to say that ranks will likely be stored and if someone with a 200m stat re-purchases membership they will regain their rank. Originally, if you cancelled membership you would be the lowest rank, but yeah rage was obviously crazy about that. I'm not sure if they are for-sure changing this or not, I don't remember the exact wording, but they definitely acknowledged those concerns.

edit- but yeah, it is true that inactive players ranks will be lost, jagex said something along the lines of "reflecting the active player base" iirc.

Edited by And drew, 15 November 2011 - 07:21 PM.

Posted Image

#43 OFFLINE   lord earth13

lord earth13

?

• Forum Member
  • 6,869 posts
  • Joined 11 May 2007

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Oh dear God! World War 3 incoming. Prepare the missiles!

That's insane, they could at least separate F2P and P2P high-scores. There's really no need to delete them.  :(

#44 OFFLINE   Azuma

Azuma

Egg Whisk

• Forum Member
  • 1,703 posts
  • Joined 30 April 2006
  • R.S. Name: Rad is Rad
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

In Other News...

- Along with the release of the new website, we will be making hi-scores a members-only feature.

This is for a number of reasons, but the main one is to keep them fresh. We want the hiscores to feature players who will compete with each other, tooth and nail, for hiscore glory. There are many dormant accounts within the hiscores that have not played for a very long time, and this will give new arrivals in Gielinor a shot at hiscore fame alongside the grizzled veterans on equal terms for all.

We want the hiscores to reflect the full range of content that RuneScape has to offer, and hope that they will be a big draw to the full, members’ game for those interested in high-level RuneScape competition on a level playing field.

- We’re pushing back the Wilderness graphics update mentioned in Behind The Scenes, so it’ll no longer be out in November. We’re sorry about this, but it‘s necessary in order to schedule in some of our upcoming anti-bot measures.

Oh Jagex, how you never cease to impress.

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   billions911

billions911

Cockatrice

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined 20 June 2009
  • R.S. Name: billions911
  • R.S. Status: Freeplayer

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

what the f*** jagex....glad i quit RuneScape...anyhow, my stats will still be shown in my siggy =D

btw,RuneScape f2p=sucks...

i had 65 runecrafting!!after 20+ hours of work, what do i get?no recognition...i did this all in f2p ffs

EDIT:i liked rswiki :( sad to see jagex is gonna make its own wiki (or site)

Edited by billions911, 15 November 2011 - 09:10 PM.

Posted Image

Stats ^_^

#46 OFFLINE   -Leaf-

-Leaf-

Greater Demon

• Forum Member
  • 2,693 posts
  • Joined 26 March 2011
  • Skin: Delicate
  • R.S. Name: Leaaf
  • Clan: DeeGeeEss

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

The stats in your sig will disappear if you are F2p, since Stat-tracking websites take information from the RS hiscores. Unless you saved an image of it of course.

View PostFabio, on Nov 15 2011, 08:28 AM, said:

- Along with the release of the new website, we will be making hi-scores a members-only feature.

This is for a number of reasons, but the main one is to keep them fresh. We want the hiscores to feature players who will compete with each other, tooth and nail, for hiscore glory. There are many dormant accounts within the hiscores that have not played for a very long time, and this will give new arrivals in Gielinor a shot at hiscore fame alongside the grizzled veterans on equal terms for all.

I lol'd so hard when I read this. Just like Jagex to regain all the hate they lost after successfully dealing with bots, by implelementing a badly-thought-out marketing ploy. Are they really idiotic enough to go through with this? Probably. :(

Seriously, they can deal with inactive accounts on the hiscores easily: simply do the same thing with the display name availability system: If they are inactive and non-member for X amount of time, remove their name. Actually, when you think about it, the display name availability system WAS the dormant account cleanup system. Remove name = remove hiscore position, simple as that.EDIT: No wait... the name availablity system is a LOT more strict. No membership EVER bought, no stats above 30.
Come to think of it, I almost want the names of the people who get de-hiscored to become available... and watch the trolololing as people swipe Zezima or someone's name.

Another problem with this though, is that once famous RS players (Zarfot, Zezima, etc) who have quit will effectively be wiped off the history of runescape.

Also, inb4 people start trolling the official wiki :D

Edited by -Leaf-, 15 November 2011 - 10:07 PM.

View PostSobend, on 15 June 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

I never read posts more than 3 lines.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 OFFLINE   krazy_kid314

krazy_kid314

Gnome Child

• 24 posts
  • Joined 14 February 2008
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

*sigh* once again jagex is biting off more than they can chew. The high scores are cluttered with inactive accounts. that much is inarguable. And of those who care one way or the other more people probably want to see inactive players removed than see them stay. I'd like them to stay but I'm prepared to accept that i'm the minority. I'd mutter a bit for nostalgia's sake but hey past is past. Trust Jagex to try to save time and effort by making sweeping changes instead. of course removing accounts that no longer log in would be less controversial and adding filters and making the highscores query-able would be downright welcomed by those who noticed, but checking for current membership status is so much simpler and easy to code

When I first heard about this, i was shocked, I was sure someone was pulling my leg, but now the shock is wearing off I find I'm not really mad at Jagex I'm just...... disappointed. Honestly I don't want to stop playing Runescape, I have several extremely long term goals. I'd love to be able to play Runescape for another 20-30 years. But I'm less and less confident that I'll get the chance. And if the game is going to end before I can reach my goals why should I put any more time into them? So with every update now it seems I'm asking myself as I read it: Is this the one? Is the Update that makes me leave Runescape forever?

I seriously considered doing so when free trade came back with no readily apparent bot killing tactics. Yeah I know they just nuked the majority of existing bots, but they really should have done that back in February as they claimed they could last December. This Update is even more discouraging because players had been wanting wildy/free trade back, but I haven't seen anyone rioting for member only highscores. I'm very stubborn and I'm willing to take a lot of abuse when I have my heart/mind set on something.

This comes dangerously close to one of only three updates I can think of that will force me to quit:
Shutting down the entire game--will force everyone to quit--duh.
a global reset of all stats/items-- I have no intention of starting over completely from scratch at this point, even if I were banned I'd at least have friends to help give me a leg up.
The removal of the Free version of the game-- Runescape is the free version to me, I've been a subscriber for about 5 yrs now content in the knowlege that I could unsubscribe and still play if i wanted to. The f2p version hasn't changed all that much in the 7 years I've been playing, and It serves as a vital link to my runescape past, If It's removed, so are the last remnants of my desire to play.

P.S. Yeah I know Jagex is supposed to be making money, but that only makes their latest moves seem all the more foolhardy to me. Nothing lasts forever, but Jagex isn't making an effort to make Runescape last .Instead they're making a lot of effort to coax every existing f2p into becoming members, but It's alienating their existing members, and reducing the number of new f2p.  If they had left well enough alone there would have been a continuous flow of new f2p accounts, and a steady trickle of them combined with some longtime f2p accounts would become mems. Idk about you, but Id take a 20 year trickle over a 1 month flood any day.

Jagex: stop squeezing the goose trying to make it's egg bigger! you're strangling it. leave it alone, the egg will be smaller, but you'll get another one just like tomorrow. It can't lay one if It's dead.

P.P.S. when I say jagex I often mean the non-founding stakeholders who seem to be making policy decisions and not the employees who actually do all the work, and often have little say. these stakeholders have no idea about what made runescape successful to begin with and appear think trying to make it more like w.o.w. will make them money. I really hope they're baffled by our actual reactions to what they're doing. I take grim satisfaction that when all their efforts to turn runescape into wow fail, and they finally start desperately turning it back into runescape again they'll lose what little extra money they're making from these gimmicks (edit: never mind, what am I thinking, c.e.o.s always get multimillion dollar severance packages when their company goes bankrupt, it'd their middle class employees who'll suffer  :( )
   Easter spoiler: jesus respawns

#48 OFFLINE   Tabt

Tabt

All glory to the HypnoTabt!

• Forum Member
  • 4,017 posts
  • Joined 05 February 2008
  • R.S. Name: Tabt
  • R.S. Status: Inactive

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

View Postbillions911, on Nov 16 2011, 02:09 AM, said:

what the f*** jagex....glad i quit RuneScape...anyhow, my stats will still be shown in my siggy =D

btw,RuneScape f2p=sucks...

i had 65 runecrafting!!after 20+ hours of work, what do i get?no recognition...i did this all in f2p ffs

EDIT:i liked rswiki :( sad to see jagex is gonna make its own wiki (or site)

Its one of the main reasons f2p dont have skill capes. the only way to get high scores in f2p is to grind and that is something Jagex don't like. They want you to use higher and higher level content and to actually play the game rather than just stand at the same yew tree for hours and hours on end.

They make all the content and they want to encourage people to use it. Obviously money comes into this as well, it encourages people to buy members.

Jagex is a business, for those of us who are already members this can only be a good thing. More money for Jagex means more staff, which means more content which means a better more dynamic game.

As for the wiki...I'm not sure. Its gonna get trolled to high heaven. Jury is out on that one.

Free Hugs | SalCast | Bloggyness

Posted Image

Grat ~ Goggie | ¡Ay, Tabt! ¡Mi amiga favorita! ~ ElSamsara | <3  ~ Morte

Posted Image

#49 ONLINE   Egghebrecht

Egghebrecht

Aiur Chef

• Retired/Inactive Mod
  • 8,764 posts
  • Joined 17 August 2006

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Been thinking about it a bit and I wonder if the wiki will allow to make a page about anything

will it allow quest guides, monster killing guides...
so far jagex didn't really like people using detailed quest guides so I wonder if they changed their position there

and that will also make a huge difference for us, will their still be content that only the fansites can provide?
that's the question...

RUNE = STONED BLUE GOBLINS and GOBLINS DON'T RUST! => RUNE DOESN'T RUST

if you agree support me and put this in your sig!

Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   billions911

billions911

Cockatrice

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined 20 June 2009

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

View PostEgghebrecht, on Nov 16 2011, 05:41 AM, said:

Been thinking about it a bit and I wonder if the wiki will allow to make a page about anything

so far jagex didn't really like people using detailed quest guides so I wonder if they changed their position there

and that will also make a huge difference for us, will their still be content that only the fansites can provide?
that's the question...
hmm...rswiki was great already...doubt jagex can copy it...

@-Leaf- if u bothered to check, the stats are a image...

Posted Image

Stats ^_^

#51 ONLINE   Egghebrecht

Egghebrecht

Aiur Chef

• Retired/Inactive Mod
  • 8,764 posts
  • Joined 17 August 2006

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

View Postbillions911, on Nov 16 2011, 12:11 PM, said:

that's the question...
can is not the issue, what they want is

RUNE = STONED BLUE GOBLINS and GOBLINS DON'T RUST! => RUNE DOESN'T RUST

if you agree support me and put this in your sig!

Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   billions911

billions911

Cockatrice

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined 20 June 2009

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

View PostEgghebrecht, on Nov 16 2011, 06:17 AM, said:

View Postbillions911, on Nov 16 2011, 12:11 PM, said:

that's the question...
can is not the issue, what they want is
meh,still gonna use rswiki

Posted Image

Stats ^_^

#53 OFFLINE   heb0

heb0

Skulled!

• Retired/Inactive Mod
  • 10,017 posts
  • Joined 05 December 2005
  • R.S. Name: heb0

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Another impact of removing f2p high scores is our calculators wont be as useful to freeplayers (that is, they wont be able to fetch f2p levels automatically).

#54 OFFLINE   Ambo100

Ambo100

Kalphite... Queen

• Forum Member
  • 6,724 posts
  • Joined 19 August 2006
  • R.S. Name: Ambo100
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

View Postheb0, on Nov 16 2011, 09:41 PM, said:

Another impact of removing f2p high scores is our calculators wont be as useful to freeplayers (that is, they wont be able to fetch f2p levels automatically).

Surely Jagex can make some sort of compromise here? Make free-player hi-scores available but not publicly displayed on the high score list.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#55 OFFLINE   billions911

billions911

Cockatrice

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined 20 June 2009

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostAmbo100, on Nov 16 2011, 05:04 PM, said:

View Postheb0, on Nov 16 2011, 09:41 PM, said:

Surely Jagex can make some sort of compromise here? Make free-player hi-scores available but not publicly displayed on the high score list.
if u known jagex...never....good thing i quit rs....

Posted Image

Stats ^_^

#56 OFFLINE   Make Max GP

Make Max GP

Rogue

• Forum Member
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 03 November 2007

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

F2p Hiscores :D Good to see Dicing Removed though :(
My blog to Make Max Gp
Buying LOTS of Items!

My YouTube accounts are: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers
Posted Image Thanks Da Scotsman!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   Aabid

Aabid

Black Demon

• Forum Member
  • 4,618 posts
  • Joined 27 March 2011
  • R.S. Name: Trois

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Everyone is quitting now. :( Buy bills. :D Have fun IRL.

And... does that mean all the pro names become available? Is this the time when they clear all the not used accounts?

Posted Image

Thanks Zooey <3

#58 OFFLINE   billions911

billions911

Cockatrice

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined 20 June 2009

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

View PostConvicious, on Nov 16 2011, 09:04 PM, said:

Everyone is quitting now. :D Buy bills. :P Have fun IRL.

And... does that mean all the pro names become available? Is this the time when they clear all the not used accounts?
lol, i quit a couple days ago...:( when i quit, Jagex falls apart....my good karma must affect f2p RuneScape :D

@convicious,i will still be on sal's, just not on the crappy RS game

Posted Image

Stats ^_^

#59 OFFLINE   Aabid

Aabid

Black Demon

• Forum Member
  • 4,618 posts
  • Joined 27 March 2011
  • R.S. Name: Trois

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

View Postbillions911, on Nov 16 2011, 09:14 PM, said:

Everyone is quitting now. :D Buy bills. :P Have fun IRL.

lol, i quit a couple days ago...:( when i quit, Jagex falls apart....my good karma must affect f2p RuneScape :D

Ahh... and I am just starting.

Side tip:If you grind like bills you quit as it gets very boring.

Posted Image

Thanks Zooey <3

#60 OFFLINE   billions911

billions911

Cockatrice

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Joined 20 June 2009

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

View PostConvicious, on Nov 16 2011, 09:20 PM, said:

View Postbillions911, on Nov 16 2011, 09:14 PM, said:

Everyone is quitting now. :P Buy bills. :P Have fun IRL.

lol, i quit a couple days ago...:( when i quit, Jagex falls apart....my good karma must affect f2p RuneScape :P

Ahh... and I am just starting.

Side tip:If you grind like bills you quit as it gets very boring.

Gl wih that :D my acc is too epic to give to my nooby brother :P with 70 smith and 65 rc, it's epic to give away..lol only played for 5 months...:D

Posted Image

Stats ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users