• Forum Member
  • 5,575 posts
  • Joined 24 April 2007
  • Skin: Delicate
  • R.S. Name: KamilKaZe
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostBob-sama, on 05 July 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Is there really any need for liquid cooling over a Hyper 212 Evo? I mean, unless you're overclocking around the 5GHz and your PCs ventilation is poor, the Hyper 212 can manage fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

Posted Image

Thank you Army and Micael and Dei respectively for the sigs.

#102 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • Skin: IP.Board
  • R.S. Name: Bobsama
  • , B0bsama
  • R.S. Status: Retired

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

With Ivy Bridge, yes there actually is. While the heat dissipation capacity is very similar, water cooling provides lower and more consistent temperatures. Ivy Bridge loves lower surface temperatures--it really doesn't consume very much power (and, directly applicable, doesn't put off a lot of heat) but it does run hot. Heatpipes fail at this: the liquid in use doesn't immediately boil so the heatsink heats until it can--resulting in higher temperature operation. Cool down the surface as best as you can and the chip can overclock much better. But for stock speeds, the stock heatsink is plenty sufficient.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#103 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 07 December 2011
  • Skin: Deviant
  • R.S. Name: Gnom3rcy
  • Clan: Sal's Realm

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostBob-sama, on 05 July 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

With Ivy Bridge, yes there actually is. While the heat dissipation capacity is very similar, water cooling provides lower and more consistent temperatures. Ivy Bridge loves lower surface temperatures--it really doesn't consume very much power (and, directly applicable, doesn't put off a lot of heat) but it does run hot. Heatpipes fail at this: the liquid in use doesn't immediately boil so the heatsink heats until it can--resulting in higher temperature operation. Cool down the surface as best as you can and the chip can overclock much better. But for stock speeds, the stock heatsink is plenty sufficient.

I noticed the Hyper 212 got 5 star (or eggs) and the H40 only got 3?

Posted Image

#104 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Egg ratings have very little to do with performance: it's really about flaws and ease of manufacturing plus "bad eggs" who are from people who don't like the idea or prefer another company. That's where a few of the H40's reviews come from. If you're still unsure, Antec makes a similarly priced solution as well: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835209049

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#105 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostBob-sama, on 06 July 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Egg ratings have very little to do with performance: it's really about flaws and ease of manufacturing plus "bad eggs" who are from people who don't like the idea or prefer another company. That's where a few of the H40's reviews come from. If you're still unsure, Antec makes a similarly priced solution as well: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835209049
In your opinion, is the Antec or Corsair better value for money?

Posted Image

#106 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

It's tough to say exactly. They're both very similar products though the 620 is discounted from its prior price and the H40 is at its regular price. The 620 is probably a better value, because it uses a copper water block.

#107 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostBob-sama, on 06 July 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

It's tough to say exactly. They're both very similar products though the 620 is discounted from its prior price and the H40 is at its regular price. The 620 is probably a better value, because it uses a copper water block.
I know they're not overly reliable, but it also got 4 eggs this time, and the reviews seem to be very positive.
I take it I should buy this first then PSU, as it will enable me to use my computer again?

Posted Image

#108 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Depends really. Grab some Arctic Silver ArctiClean while you're at it--you'll need to clean your CPU. You should probably grab new TIM at the same time--Arctic Cooling MX-2 is still my personal choice though MX-4 is good too.

Surprisingly, RadioShack often carries name-brand TIM and TIM cleaner.

Edited by Bob-sama, 06 July 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#109 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostBob-sama, on 06 July 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

Depends really. Grab some Arctic Silver ArctiClean while you're at it--you'll need to clean your CPU. You should probably grab new TIM at the same time--Arctic Cooling MX-2 is still my personal choice though MX-4 is good too.

Surprisingly, RadioShack often carries name-brand TIM and TIM cleaner.

This stuff? http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000BKP306.
And also is MX-2 similar to Arctic Silver 5?

Posted Image

#110 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

MX-2 is "better" in that it's actually safe. AS5 is conductive which means, if improperly applied, it could cause a short and destroy hardware. The MX-2 has similar performance and is nonconductive, so it's not as dangerous if improperly applied.

http://www.amazon.co...41604826&sr=8-1
That's the right product. Another TIM to consider is Arctic Silver Ceramique: it's another non-conductive TIM.

Edited by Bob-sama, 06 July 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#111 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostBob-sama, on 06 July 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

MX-2 is "better" in that it's actually safe. AS5 is conductive which means, if improperly applied, it could cause a short and destroy hardware. The MX-2 has similar performance and is nonconductive, so it's not as dangerous if improperly applied.

http://www.amazon.co...41604826&sr=8-1
That's the right product. Another TIM to consider is Arctic Silver Ceramique: it's another non-conductive TIM.
Alright thanks. This is for application on a new cooling system, isn't it?

Also, would you recommend that I sold some of the parts I am replacing, just to help towards funding this upgrade?

Posted Image

#112 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Of course.

The other consideration is future plans. I personally use my 2nd best system as a storage server. Right now I've got a pair of 2TB hard drives in RAID1, but I really want to upgrade to a 4TB (3-drive RAID5) or 6TB (4-drive) RAID5 array.

#113 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostBob-sama, on 06 July 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Of course.

The other consideration is future plans. I personally use my 2nd best system as a storage server. Right now I've got a pair of 2TB hard drives in RAID1, but I really want to upgrade to a 4TB (3-drive RAID5) or 6TB (4-drive) RAID5 array.
That's a good point as well. For instance the parts I currently have would be absolutely fine as an office/ storage computer. I'm just trying to think of different ways to get funding, that's all.

Posted Image

#114 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostGnomercy, on 07 July 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

View PostBob-sama, on 06 July 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Of course.

That's a good point as well. For instance the parts I currently have would be absolutely fine as an office/ storage computer. I'm just trying to think of different ways to get funding, that's all.
Yeah. I gave my 3rd best system to my sister as a holdover upgrade: a C2Q Q8300, 4GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 7770 is a big upgrade for what she's doing.

#115 OFFLINE   Gnomercy

Gnomercy

Crawling Hand

• Forum Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostBob-sama, on 02 July 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Current budget and purpose? Rereading just pg1, I saw I recommended a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics card. In order of absolute importance, I'd probably go power supply (if necessary), graphics card, then CPU, motherboard, & RAM. Last, I'd say a drive upgrade (a 120/128/240/256GB SSD) and possibly a big storage drive (a 2TB+ hard drive).

Core i5-3570K & Z77 motherboard -- $328
G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CL9 -- $40
Radeon HD 7770 GHz 1GB -- $125 - $15 MIR or Radeon HD 7850 2GB -- $235 - $20 MIR
Seasonic M12II 520W -- $60

Call it $650 for a new core setup.

The HD 7850 would certainly be the better graphics card. The 8800GTS-320 performs worse than an 8800GT-512.
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - 8800GT 512MB vs. HD 7770 1GB
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - 8800GT 512MB vs. HD 7850 2GB
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - HD 7770 1GB vs. HD 7850 2GB

I've got a problem.

Newegg don't ship to the UK...

Posted Image

#116 OFFLINE   Bob-sama

Bob-sama

Mysterious Old Man

• Forum Member
  • 5,534 posts
  • Joined 07 March 2006
  • , B0bsama

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

that is very true. configure the same build using pcpartpicker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users