13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Goodguyrich

Goodguyrich

Gnome Child

• 15 posts
  • Joined 06 March 2013
  • R.S. Status: Freeplayer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

I have suddenly felt the urge to come back and experience runescape like I did 5 years ago. However, things have changed IMMENSELY. The combat in particular. I am doing a pure mage at the moment and with the EoC it is kind of confusing. Does the EoC mean that I will not need to buy an abundance of runes, since all I will be spamming are the abilities?  Like instead of buying 1000 fire runes, would i just buy 100 because I will barely auto attack and I will just need to have the spell selected in order to buff my EoC abilities? At first I thought auto attacking with spells gave more XP, but it turns out that EoC gives the same amount.. So now I've come to the conclusion that all i need to do is wait for cool downs and spam abilities rather than buy a hefty amount of runes and use spells like fire bolt or water bolt.. Am I doing it right? Or should I auto attack more when training than use the EoC abilities.

Edited by Goodguyrich, 06 March 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Dei Wei

Dei Wei

My other account is banned.

• Forum Member
  • 3,218 posts
  • Joined 22 December 2007
  • Skin: Deviant
  • R.S. Name: dei wei
  • R.S. Status: Member

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

You should use abilities when in 1v1 combat using magic not only does it do more dps but saves on runes as abilities don't use runes.
The only time you should autocast spells is with momentum and that is only useful when you are barraging a number of targets as barrages will hit upto 9 targets while most abilities will only hit 1-3.
Posted Image
~~ 90+ all Skills - 17th October 2012 ~~
~~ 2400 Total - 30th March 2013 ~~
~~Max Cape - 4th April 2014~~
Posted ImagePosted Image
Previous Skill Competition Banners
Spoiler

#3 OFFLINE   Goodguyrich

Goodguyrich

Gnome Child

• 15 posts
  • Joined 06 March 2013

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostDei Wei, on 06 March 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

You should use abilities when in 1v1 combat using magic not only does it do more dps but saves on runes as abilities don't use runes.
The only time you should autocast spells is with momentum and that is only useful when you are barraging a number of targets as barrages will hit upto 9 targets while most abilities will only hit 1-3.

Wow, so basically just buy 1-2 runes so I can have the spell selected, but besides that just use EoC? I get the same XP and everthing from it right? Is this the same for melee and range?

#4 OFFLINE   Dei Wei

Dei Wei

My other account is banned.

• Forum Member
  • 3,218 posts
  • Joined 22 December 2007
  • R.S. Name: dei wei

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

You will still need a fair amount of rune as there will be times when you will via normal casting.
Posted Image
~~ 90+ all Skills - 17th October 2012 ~~
~~ 2400 Total - 30th March 2013 ~~
~~Max Cape - 4th April 2014~~
Posted ImagePosted Image
Previous Skill Competition Banners
Spoiler

#5 ONLINE   Army of One

Army of One

Posessed Pickaxe

• Forum Member
  • 1,417 posts
  • Joined 17 September 2009
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Your auto auto attacks will still happen quite frequently, but buying 1000 casts will definately last MUCH longer than before. But I think 100 might not be enough, try 500 casts at your certain training area and see how long you can last. But, what you CAN do, is purchase the best Air Staff you can use (Staff of Air, Air Battlestaff, Mystic Air Battlestaff) and you will have infinite casts of all Air spells, and Divine storm, once you unlock it from the mage arena.

Edited by Army of One, 06 March 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

You put those hours in, and look at what you get.

First 99 - Defence - 16th June, 2013

80 Milestone Cape - 18th December, 2013

Most recent 99 - Farming - 28th August, 2014

90 Milestone Cape - 11th July, 2014

Max Cape - ??th ????, 2014

Nothing that you can hold, but everything that it is.

#6 OFFLINE   Goodguyrich

Goodguyrich

Gnome Child

• 15 posts
  • Joined 06 March 2013

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

So how does EOC get stronger? Is it buy the type of spell that is selected or is it just magic level and equipment?

I find it kind of odd that i won't be casting much normal spells, but rather just EOC the whole time :/

#7 OFFLINE   Sobend

Sobend

Man of Means by No Means

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,256 posts
  • Joined 03 November 2005
  • Skin: IP.Board
  • R.S. Name: Sobend
  • , Sobend 2
  • Clan: -->

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostGoodguyrich, on 06 March 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

I am doing a pure mage at he moment...
If you mean pure mage as in one defence magic pure, don't do it. In the new system pures get shredded. Get defence.
-Sobend
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Goodguyrich

Goodguyrich

Gnome Child

• 15 posts
  • Joined 06 March 2013

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostSobend, on 06 March 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

View PostGoodguyrich, on 06 March 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

I am doing a pure mage at he moment...
If you mean pure mage as in one defence magic pure, don't do it. In the new system pures get shredded. Get defence.
Yeah, Im leveling up defense too, by Pure i meant just magic and no melee or range for now. So is it really pointless to buy runes for spells now? Is magic solely reliant on EOC abillities? Do wands, staffs, or other items affect EOC abillity damage?

#9 OFFLINE   Micael Fatia

Micael Fatia

Capt Never Wrong

• Forum Member
  • 10,624 posts
  • Joined 13 January 2006

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

No, you will definitely still need runes. Abilities require no runes and hit harder than normal attacks, but all take some time to recharge either only a few seconds or a little longer and during the time you are not able to use any abilities you'll be using normal spells. Wands and staves affect your accuracy and the speed of your spells, staves are two-handed but are more accuracte than wands, and wands are faster than staves and only one-handed allowing you to wield a shield.

3xtermination | Clan Legacy | Dark Dragon Breath
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Goodguyrich

Goodguyrich

Gnome Child

• 15 posts
  • Joined 06 March 2013

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostMicael Fatia, on 06 March 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

No, you will definitely still need runes. Abilities require no runes and hit harder than normal attacks, but all take some time to recharge either only a few seconds or a little longer and during the time you are not able to use any abilities you'll be using normal spells. Wands and staves affect your accuracy and the speed of your spells, staves are two-handed but are more accuracte than wands, and wands are faster than staves and only one-handed allowing you to wield a shield.

Thanks the advice. So the only way to get stronger EOC abillities is from leveling up magic? It has nothing to do with the spell damage your currently selected spell does?

#11 OFFLINE   Micael Fatia

Micael Fatia

Capt Never Wrong

• Forum Member
  • 10,624 posts
  • Joined 13 January 2006

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yes from leveling up magic and there's one ultimate ability you unlock after completing The World Wakes quest, but I'm pretty sure it has a level requirement too.

Edited by Micael Fatia, 06 March 2013 - 09:47 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Goodguyrich

Goodguyrich

Gnome Child

• 15 posts
  • Joined 06 March 2013

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostMicael Fatia, on 06 March 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Yes from leveling up magic and there's one ultimate ability you unlock after completing The World Wakes quest, but I'm pretty sure it has a level requirement too.

Wow. So are there spells that are worth using anymore then? With EOC you get free CC and more DPS and I don't know why Id want to buy runes to get the same affect with other spells... And apparently armor only gives Health bonuses? There aren't anymore magic amplifying items? Im sorry Im asking so many questions, runescape is so complicated now and I just want to clear things up.

#13 OFFLINE   Micael Fatia

Micael Fatia

Capt Never Wrong

• Forum Member
  • 10,624 posts
  • Joined 13 January 2006

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

I think the spells you autocast affect how high you hit when using abilities but I'm really not sure about this, and magic critical bonus from items like Saradomin's hiss, seer's ring etc effect how high your spells/abilities hit too. (but again I'm not 100% sure about this)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Gantowisa

Gantowisa

Camel

• Forum Member
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 10 December 2011
  • Skin: Elegia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

Yes. The damage of abilities is based on which spell you are currently casting/autocasting.
Critical bonus only affects how often you will hit with a critical. Critical damage is also based on the current spell
you are using. (last i read anyway - it could be changed again)

Anyway, due to the latest update with dual wield I will have to reinvestigate using magic.
I would like to cast Ancients - ice spell from one and and blood spell from another.
If that works good I will be needing to use more runes once again (at least since eoc)

Edited by Gantowisa, 07 March 2013 - 05:15 AM.

The Internet's ability to empower individuals with an illusion of infinite knowledge challenges even notions of reality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users