Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Simple013

Cold War

Cold War

Special Thanks to: Cxklei, Egghebrecht, Evolution, Infiniti, Kuittaa, Mrcsupertrain, Sparhawke, Terminator, Thebenster, Yuanrang

Quest startpoint

meowsj9.png

Skills required: Level 10 hunter, level 30 agility, level 30 crafting, level 34 construction.

Quests required: None!

Items needed: 10 Oak planks, 10 Steel nails, 1 Clockwork mechanism, 1 Regular plank, 1 Silk, Hammer, Spade, Cod, 5 Feathers, 1 Swamp Tar, 1 Mahogany plank, 1 Soft leather, Cow Bell (quest obtained)

Items advised: Enchanted Lyre (or house at Relekka), House teleport (or tablets), Ardougne teleport, Dramen staff to use Fairy Rings (code DKS for closest rings), Ring of Charos (a) (as replacement for Cod)

Start by speaking to Larry at Ardougne Zoo, near the penguins. He will tell you about his fascination with penguins and his study of them.

2-1.png

He will ask you to help him. You will need to bring 10 oak planks, 10 steel nails, a hammer and a spade. While you are gathering supplies, Larry will provide transportation to the location.

7.png

You will then meet him at a dock north-east of the entrance to Keldagrim.

8.png

Again converse with Larry and you will take the boat to.... an Iceberg.

10.gif

Once there, again, talk to Larry and he will tell you how to build a bird observatory. Be sure to have the materials in your inventory. You will start the build by using an oak plank on the snow patch. After the initial build is done use your spade to cover it with snow, to blend it into its surroundings.

13.png

Once you have finished building the bird-watching-hide-out it is time to put it to good use, watching those tiny waiters:

14.png

WATCH CAREFULLY: You will need the emotes shown by the penguins later on. Write the movement of the penguins down on a piece of paper, even though Larry said he would include it into his research, he won't.

15.png

23bookxn2.gifAgain speak with Larry, he will relate a story of a disguise you will need, to mingle among the penguins: An automated penguin suit. He will also relate a piece of disturbing news: You will need to be shrunk.

25penguinbq6.gifHe will hand you a book with the building instruction on how to make this disguise. Gather your silk, steel bar/clockwork mechanism and plank, and head over to your house and work bench to make the penguin suit. The penguin suit is made at your crafting table (needs to be upgraded to table 3, 34 construction needed).

99.png

Once done, return to the dock and speak with Larry. You will again travel to the iceberg and upon arriving your carefully constructed contraption has been demolished. Disappointment sets in, but your quick mind thinks of a way to test the penguin suit: At Ardougne Zoo. Larry will be so kind to teleport you both over there and it is time to suit up.

38.png

When dressed-up as a penguin you try to talk to your look-a-like. He indeed will speak with you but you then will need the proper greeting: 3 consecutive emotes, as were there when you observed the penguins on the iceberg. Should you have forgotten these it is a trial and error thing. The greetings are different for each player.

48missionreportys6.gifAfter getting the greeting right you will be told the reason why the penguins are undercover: They want to learn how to fly! You will be given a Mission Report and are told to visit the operatives at Lumbridge.

Head over to Lumbridge and like so often in this quest speak with Tuxedo time Larry, which is a short-cut to equip the penguin suit. Find the disguised penguins and talk to them, and you will find they are not inclined to engage in a meaningful conversation: You will need a code before they will oblige. Again you will need to go back to Ardougne and speak with the penguin to obtain a the code-phrase: "Don't trust the walrus".

Going back to Ardougne this time doesn't take much time: Talk to Larry and he will teleport you there. Suit up again as penguin and enter the cage. Seek out the Cod Addicted Penguin and bribe him with your Cod, alternatively you can use your Ring of Charos (a). He will then reveal the code-phrase: Don't trust the Walrus.

Again back to Lumbridge, speaking to Tuxedo time Larry and, again, find the sheep-dressed penguins.

60sheeplumby.png

Go through the whole conversation and they will tell you to investigate the resident farmer.

It seems these hardened penguins have chosen the wrong spot to spy on human kind by the way, and what is more: They realize this.

61.png

Head over to Fred and use either option in the conversation. Back again to the 'dressed-as-sheep-waiters' and again a conversation.... And after some, more or less, inspiring conversation, the location of the entrance to the secret base is revealed.

69.png

What is even more important: The secret password to enter is given to you as well.

71.png

Enter the Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Pingvin

Most of what will be described below has a reference to the iceberg area. Should you get lost the map below could help you find your bearings.

mappc0.gif

bookhh0.pngThe Mission Reports now are building up in your inventory, and it is about time to get rid of them. Back to Larry again to inform him what you have found out and then back to the iceberg: Time to tackle the enemy in his lair. Once again, make your way to the iceberg, you should have that routine down pat, by now. Speak to Tuxedo time Larry, and make your way north-west until you see a waiter with tie, a member of the KGP.

73.png

book2ox0.pngbook3pe6.pngYou are told to present your ID and, alas, you don't have one. Don't despair, even among the penguins, black markets seem to flourish. Walk a bit south-east and you will come across a shady character called Noodle who will, for the right reward, 5 feathers and a Swamp Tar, provide you with the two items you need most: Your ID and your own Mission Report.

74noodle.png

Back to the KGP agent who will now let you enter the doorway, hidden under the avalanche. You are told to report to de-briefing in the first room on your left. Yet another KGP agent to report to and you will hand over all mission reports. And then sent on an agility course.

80.png

Head for the door at the end of the room and you are faced with a few obstacles that can hit you hard at lower agility levels. Ranging from icy water, falling icicles and traversing slippery ice, once you reach the end of it you are home free, for now that is.

With a final good-bye from the instructor you now can roam freely through the inside of the iceberg.

83.png

Sadly, most of the doors are locked and it is time to report back to Larry. His advise is to seek out a secret room deep inside the glacier. And thus, off you go again.

85.png

84bongo.gif89cowbell.gifTime to find Ping and Pong, not the video game, but two penguins that sound as if they are teleported in from the 70's. You can find them in the first big room on your right after entering the glacier. Of course you need to find another few items: Bongos and a Cow bell. After they told you what they wanted of course you again are at a loss and....... report back to Larry. Once again he amazes all with his insight and tells you how to acquire the objects.

88.png

You can now make the bongos by using soft leather on a mahogany plank. Teleport, walk to the nearest Dairy cow to steal a bell and enter the glacier again. Both Ping and Pong are delighted to finally have some instruments they can play. A cut-scene of a nice concert:

90.png

And you realise this is the time to try and open the big doors. Go outside, walk north toward the big doors and in the booth to your left you will find the controls that open the door. Once inside turn right and at the end you will find the War Room. Entering the room you will find Pescaling Pax revealing his plans.

92.png

But, alas, you will also be caught and thrown into a cage with some level 51 Ice Lords.

95icelords.png

Make your way to the door, which quite surprisingly is not locked, and at the other side there is a chasm that you can crawl through.

96chasm.png

Make your way back to Larry and speak with him.

97.png

Overjoyed at his (or your?) success you now have finished the first instalment of this series, or:

Quest complete!!!

34dh1sm.gif

Rewards:

• 1 Quest Point
  • 2000 Crafting xp
  • 5000 Agility xp
  • 1500 Construction xp
  • Ability to build a Penguin Suit
  • Access to Agility Course, level 30 Agility needed

Note: The eight different penguin emotes are only available when wielding the penguin costume. This costume can only be worn in the vincinity of Larry, either at Lumbridge sheep pen, Ardougne Zoo, Relekka dock or on the Iceberg.

Edited by Simple013

He will ask you to help him. You will need to bring 10 oak planks, 10 steel nails, a hammer and a spade. You will then meet him at a dock north-east of the entrance to Keldragim. You can't take cats on the island, Larry won't let you!

(you cna get there with feary ring code DKS)

he'll ask you to make an hide out on the snowy spot in the middle of the iceberg

use one of your planks on it to start making it then dig with your spade to cover it with snow

now you will get to see a cut scene of 2 penguins conversing with each other

look closely to the emotes (3 different ones after each other) ! You will need to mimic these since it is the secret password.

After this speak with Larry again. He will relate a story of a disguise you will need to mingle among the penguins: An automated penguin suit. He will also relate a piece of disturbing news: You will need to be shrunk.

He will hand you a book with the building instruction on how to make this disguise. Gather your silk, steel bar/clockwork mechanism and plank, and head over to your house and work bench to make the penguin suit. (you can find it under the clockwork toy menu)

once you get back there the little hut will be destroyed

larry will tele you back to Ardougne zoo where you can infiltrate the penguins there

go and talk to the one penguin you can talk too

you'll have to do the same emotes a you saw earlier on (write these down as you will need em lots of times)

He will then ask you how your mission is going, which happens to be flying

he also tells you he misses codfish!

after that the penguin tells you to meet the mission operatives in lumbridge, and who alse could those be then the mysterious sheep in the sheep pen! He will also give you a mission report to bring to the base.

get out of the cage and change back with Larry (tuxedo time) and then report to him

so home tele to lumby and time to change again

the penguins there won't talk to you without saying the secret phrase

get back to larry to change again and he will tele you to Ardougne again

get back in the cage and talk to the Cod Addict Penguin there

he won't tell you the sentence without a good reason

and what good reason does a cod addict need?

raw cod indeed (you can also use a ring of charos, if not kill yuan not me)

get out of the suit again and talk to larry, he will tell you you need a raw cod too, go back into penguin form and talk to the penguin again with the raw cod in your invent (you can get raw cod with big net fishing), he will then trade the code phrase for a raw cod.

then go back to lumby and talk to the mysterious sheep there

they will ask you to disguise you as a human and interrogate farmer Fred (talk about getting confusing)

Talk to Fred as a human again, any approach will do

After this go back to the penguins and talk to them again, they will give you the location of the secret base, the password and a new mission report.

Let Larry tele you to the iceberg and talk there to the KBG agent, you'll have to do the emotes again and say the password. He will then ask for your ID what you don't have.

But luckily there is a black market and it comes here under the name of Noodle a Macaroni Pengiun, talk to him about getting an ID, he wants swamp tar and 5 feathers for it. Give it to him and you'll get an id.

Then talk to the KBG agent again, he will tell you to enter the base under the avalanche next to him

in the base take the left room and talk to the agent there

he will debrief you then and then say you need to be physically tested, this is the penguin agility course

go through the door at the end of the room and follow the way and arrows

when you passed the sliding ice rocks climb up the stepping stones and follow the rest of the course (it might deal lots of damage, food might be a good idea)

after completion of 1 lap go back in the base and talk to all pengiuns there.

Then go out of the base and talk to larry, he will tell you to talk to the musicians, talk to them (they ain't busy now) and they will tell you they need a bongo and a cow bell, talk to larry for these.

The bongo, he says needs mahogany and soft leather. use a mahogany plank with a piece of soft leather to make bongos, give these to the musicians.

The cowbell you've got to steal from a diary cow (in lumby for example)

then bring the instruments to the bards

a cut scene will start and the KBG guard will enter

then go to the control booth, use the controller to open the door, go to the right and enter the briefing room

another cut scene will start

you'll see the king Pescaling Pox and he will uncover you with an anti magic zone

you'll find yourself after this in a cage with some lvl 50 monsters

kill one to be able to open the gate

then squeeze out through a crevice on the other side of the room

go back to Larry and after some more talking and cut scenes the quest is over and disappointment is yours.

And don't forget

DO NOT TRUST THE WALRUS!!!!!!!

Edited by Egghebrecht

i am currently working on some pics, i will do a proofreading when complete too ;)

penguuin greeting is:

first bow

then shiver

then finally spin :lolsmack:

In no particualr order

2penguins.png

alive.png

book.png

goodspot.png

myhide.png

needitems.png

newhide.png

organised.png

startpoint.png

timeforcrafting.png

to make the suit, you need a steel bar, plank of ordinary wood and a piece of silk. plus a crafting table in your house :lolsmack:

when looking for operatives in lumbridge, your guide says larrys advice is a bit wooly, a good place to start i guess :lolsmack:

Edited by Sparhawke

Nice guide, keep it up, You forgot the required levels:

Required skills: Level 10 hunter, level 30 agility, level 30 crafting, level 34 construction.

Hope i helped!

~Masterchefsp - Balance is power ;)

Edited by Masterchefsp

heard some1 say that Ring of Charos might be handy, that way you dont need to bribe, confirmation please?

First of all, nice guide. Here are the transparent version of the pictures:

23bookxn2.gif

[IMG=http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3186/23bookxn2.gif]

25penguinbq6.gif

[IMG=http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6575/25penguinbq6.gif]

48missionreportys6.gif

[IMG=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6775/48missionreportys6.gif]

I am now going to start working on the Reward Scroll. Sorry, I have got some other plans to do, so I won't be able to do it. Good luck with your guide getting accepted!

Edited by Terminator

are you sure you need the mahogany plank? on the guide, it does not tell you where you need the cod or mahogany plank or some of the items, or could you make a seprate list for quest obtained items?it will help sort confusion, thanks.

after you make the bongos and get the cowbell there will be no guard at the place where the controlls for the door will be so use them to open the gate and quickly run through, go to the north east door and walk through you will be caught! they will take your penguin suit away then you will be sent into a cage with other invaders, ice lords kill one and walk out the door and go to the east for a creak in the wall, then you will no escaped tell larry what happned in the war room and quest complete!

;)

Hmm, good guide, I'm going to check out if you need cod or you can use ring of charos (PLEASE! be able to use ring of charos, I hat fishing cod ;) )

Hmm, good guide, I'm going to check out if you need cod or you can use ring of charos (PLEASE! be able to use ring of charos, I hat fishing cod ;) )

You can, I did that and that was it.

Simple: You might want to put an "Optional: Ring of Charos (a)" next to the Cod in Items Required.

Edited by Yuanrang

I like sals realm for the speed and quality of the guides

Its a good start, i think tere should be sections like in other quest guides like for example:

Begining

Getting the stuff

Defeating the boss...

Rewards:

• 2k crafting xp
  • 5k agility xp
  • 1.5k construction xp
  • Ability to build penguin suits, bring your silk, steel bar/clockwork mechanism, the book to and a hammer to your workbench.
  • Acces to the penguin agility arena/iceburg
  • Shiver emote

Hope i helped (again), sos but if you dont mind can i have my name put on the thanks to list? Just cos i did help and you used my exact words, if you need any transparancies just say!

EDIT: btw, you seem to have cropped a few of the images a bit to much, it looks a bit untidy, if its a scroll use the entire game interface, and if its speach use the entire chat scroll thing. Or just transparentize them :lolsmack:!

~ Masterchefsp - Balance is power ;)

Edited by Masterchefsp

Little things I did that helped me:

- Used the fairy ring by Trollweiss hunter area (code DKS)

- Used games necklace to teleport to Barbarian Outpost to obtain a plank

- Bought a raw cod from the Catherby fishing shop

- Dueling ring may be useful to get back to Lumbridge

Rewards:
  • 2k crafting xp
  • 5k agility xp
  • 1.5k construction xp
  • Ability to build penguin suits
  • Acces to the penguin agility arena/iceburg
  • Shiver emote

Hope i helped (again), sos but if you dont mind can i have my name put on the thanks to list? Just cos i did help and you used my exact words, if you need any transparancies just say!

EDIT: btw, you seem to have cropped a few of the images a bit to much, it looks a bit untidy, if its a scroll use the entire game interface, and if its speach use the entire chat scroll thing. Or just transparentize them :lolsmack:!

~ Masterchefsp - Balance is power ;)

No.1 - The reward scroll is on there so its easy for people to see anyways

No.2 - Never use the whole game interface for screenshots - there too long in width

On all the guides on the site it has that under the reward scroll, and some of the rewards dont appear on there. :P

Btw the game interface is the part that you see your character in, not with the minimap, side interfaces etc.

~ Masterchefsp - Balance is power :yinyang:

Edited by Masterchefsp

On all the guides on the site it has that under the reward scroll, and some of the rewards dont appear on there. :P

~ Masterchefsp - Balance is power :yinyang:

Sal simply adds it any eays and also dont spam the Blaance is Power thing - thats what your siggy is 4

~Evo <-- Bits like this are ok

WATCH CAREFULLY: You will need the emotes shown by the penguins later on. Write the movement of the penguins down on a piece of paper, even though Larry said he would include it into his research, he won't.

I don't get it

How do you right it down?

I don't get it

How do you right it down?

She's not saying it runescape-wise she means grab a REAL LIFE piece of paper

No.1 - Get a real piece of paper from your printer or wherever

No.2 - Right down there movements with a shiny pen :yinyang:

Get the idea

Evolution, post #21 should have been made via PM, and it doesnt do any harm to save sal from a bit of extra work, he may not even know all of them (not likely but...) :P

(where in the rules does it say i'm not allowed to do, i dont see it as spam, just a friendly message :P) ~ Masterchefsp - Balance is power :yinyang:

Edited by Masterchefsp

You may get stunned if you take the cowbell from an ordinary cow, but the dairy cow in Zanaris will be happy to give it to you, if you tell her the truth that is.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.