Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Xaria

How To Post A Picture.

Introduction

Knowing how to take and post a picture is a useful skill. This guide will go over everything you need to know about taking and uploading images on various types of computer systems and imagehosting websites. It may look complicated at first, but after a few tries you will be able to take and upload pictures in less than a minute.
Taking And Cropping Images

On Windows

The first step is to take the actual screenshot. To do this, make sure the image you want is on your screen, and then press the "Print Screen" key. This key is usually located on the top-right section of your keyboard and may be shortened to "Prnt Scrn" or something similar. If you are using a laptop, you may have to press the "Fn" key also.

There will now be an image saved in your computer's clipboard. If you press Print Screen again or copy a piece of text or image, it will save that information over your screenshot and you will not be able to use it.

The next step is to open up a new Paint document. Once open, paste your image in (either by right-clicking and selecting "Paste", or by going to Edit > Paste, or pressing CTRL+V).

xpfirstlp0.png
You should now see your entire screen you copied pasted into the document. Crop off the parts you don't need.

First move the area you want to keep into the top left hand corner. Use the box select tool to do this.
xpsecondyu3.png
Then drag the little blue boxes inwards to crop:
xpsecondai2.png

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, you can simply select the area you want to keep and use Image > Crop or right click and select Crop.

Save your image now. The best file type to save it as is .png because it will keep your image high-quality and reduce file size.

testty6.png

Congratulations, you've now taken and cropped your image successfully! The next step is uploading the image.

On a Mac

Information provided by Lee M16 and Knight Haleth.

If you want to take a full screen picture, hold down Command + Shift + 3 and the image will be saved where you want it.

If you want a pre-cropped picture, press Command + Shift + 4 and then a crosshairs will appear. Make a box around your target by starting in one corner and dragging the box around it. As soon as you let go of the mouse, the area inside the box will be saved to where you want it to.

To screenshot a single window, hold down Command + Shift + 4, and then press backspace.

Once you've taken your picture, save it and move onto the next step; uploading!

On Linux

Written by finisterra.

The first step is to take the actual screenshot. To do this, make sure the image you want is on your screen, and then press the "Print Screen" key. This key is usually located on the top-right section of your keyboard and may be shortened to "Prnt Scrn" or something similar. If you are using a laptop, you may have to press the "Fn" key also.

A screen like this should appear:
doxxr6.png

You can specify the folder where you want the image to be saved, its name, the extension (change what's after the period in the name) although it's better to use .png, you can also copy the screenshot to the clipboard instead of saving it.

When you have decided this, press the save button.

The picture should be in the folder you specified or in your clipboard. Anyhow, open Gimp and either open your picture or paste it. Your screen should look like this:
30ijhwn.png

Now select the part of the screenshot that you want to keep, do this by using the rectangle selection tool (top-left in the toolbox). After you've done this, go to the 'Layer' menu and choose the 'Adjust to selection' option from the drop down menu.

Now just save your image again and you're done!

[p]Uploading

There are a variety of imagehosting websites out there which all have their benefits and drawbacks. This guide contains explanations for three very popular imagehosting websites; ImageShack, TinyPic, and Photobucket.

Using ImageShack (recommended)

Sal's Realm has an ImageShack uploader built into our post system. Below the area where you write the post in Full Reply is the upload section:

imageuploadaq5.png

Click on the button labelled "Browse" to find your document. Once you've found it, click on it and then click "Open". You should now see a filepath in the box there. You should now click "host it!".

In a moment or two, a new screen will appear with various codes for you to choose from. If you would like to have the full image shown, then copy either the "Forum Code" code or the "Direct Link". If you use the second way, you will need to add [img] tags.
imageshack1k.png
To add image tags, simply write [img] at the beginning of the code and [/img] at the end of it like so:

[img=Direct Link to image]

Paste that code into your post. When you hit "Add Reply" the code will turn into an image.

Using TinyPic

TinyPic is a great website which is very easy to use. To get there, go to http://tinypic.com/

Click on "Browse" to find your image. Once you've found on it, click on it and select "Open". You should now see a filepath in the bar there:
3535eo3.png

Press "Upload Now!" and enter the code to upload the image.

You should now see a screen like this:
11raqza.png

To show the full image in your post, click on the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" code. Paste it into your post. When you hit "Add Reply" the code will turn into an image.

Using Photobucket

This website requires you to make an account there. Go to http://photobucket.com/ and register an account. Once you've done that, log in to upload images.

Click the "Choose Files" button to browse your files and find the document you want to upload. Click on the file and then select "Open". Photobucket will automatically upload the image now. You will be given the option to add tags to the image, but this is not necessary. Click "Save and Continue" to move on.
Photobucket.png

To paste the full image into your post, copy the "IMG Code" code and paste it into your post. When you submit the post, that code will turn into an image.
Photobucket2.png

[p]FAQs

Question: I'm using ImageShack and I clicked on the host it button but it's still not uploading my image!
Answer: There could be a couple of different explanations for why it's not working. First, make sure you went to the "Browse" and that the file path was in the text box. It could also be a result of Imageshack being down, sometimes the site stops working, you would know this is happening because you are directed to a "Cannot Load This Page" message, or because it stays loading for an extremely long amount of time. In that case, use one of the other imagehosting websites listed in this post.
Another possibility is that the filesize of your image is too large. Imageshack will not upload images over 1.5 megabytes. In this situation, you should save the document as a .png (if you haven't already), and try to crop it a bit more.

Question: How do I save my image as a .png?
Answer: When you go to "Save As" and type in the filename, there should be a scrollbar underneath that where you can select the PNG filetype. Older operating systems will not let you save as a PNG, so your only other options would be to keep it as a .bmp and crop it a lot so that you can upload it, or save it as a .jpeg or .gif which will reduce quality in paint.

Question: I'm using ImageShack and I pasted the code into the post, but I'm getting a "Dynamic pictures in tags are not allowed" error message. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?
Answer: This happens when there is an "=" sign in the code, which means you selected the wrong code. Remember that you should select the "Forum Code" code or the "Direct Link" code (which you will need to add [img] tags to).

Question: I'm using TinyPic or Photobucket and I've noticed that the quality of my image decreases after I upload it. How do I fix this?
Answer: Those sites will save your image as a different file type if you upload it as a .bmp file type. To fix this, save your image as a .png and upload the image again.

Question: I don't like any of the ImageHosting sites you listed. Are there any other ones that I can use?
Answer: Try PicOodle!, The Image Hosting, or Putfile.

Please Note: We have a feature in the forum called the "Moderation Queue". When a member with less than fifteen posts makes a post which contains an image, link or email, then the post will be set as invisible and moved to the ModQ until a moderator checks it over to see if it's appropriate. So if you have less than fifteen posts and your picture isn't showing up, just be patient, a moderator will check your post over soon.
Tricks and Helpful Sites

Now that you're an expert at taking an uploading images, why not take a look at these sites, programs and tricks which should make things a bit easier for you?

Gadwin PrintScreen. Tired of having to stop and paste the picture into a program before taking the next? With this program you can take as many pictures as your computer memory will let you, and you won't have to worry about losing them.

ImageShack QuickShot. Want to take and upload images even quicker? This program will let you take and upload a picture to ImageShack with the press of a key!

Iaza.com. An extremely helpful site with over fifty different options for image editing. Whether you want to make a background transparent or add an artistic touch, iaza.com has it and more.

For a quick way to resize an image in Paint, use this method:
Open a picture and press Ctrl + W. Type 50 into the first two boxes and click Ok. You can use Ctrl + E to check the dimensions of the image. Scaling images in mspaint is guess work so if it's still too big, do the first step again. If it's too small you can press Ctrl + Z to undo and try a different number.
Conclusion

You should now know how to take, crop, and upload images. If you have any more questions related to posting images on the forum, please post a topic in the Forum Help section, and someone will be happy to help.

xxpkxxtl9.png

sorry i had to use your pic :s my parents blocked runescape until i raisedmy grades but i did ya :P my lowest grade was a C

[url="http://=http://imageshack.us%5d%5bimg=http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/4285/xxpkxxtl9.png%5d%5d=http://imageshack.us%5d%5bimg=http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/4285/xxpkxxtl9.png%5d"]http://=http://imageshack.us%5d%5bimg=http.../xxpkxxtl9.png][/url]

:mellow: i only need the first link.....

Edited by manace74_cant_pk

Using IfranView
Written by Cxkslei.

After taking your screenshot, open up IfranView.

Now click Ctrl + V, this should paste the image you just took.

Example:
pic1to3.png
*Before you accuse me of hacking RS or whatever to have it show a free world when I am in Shilo Village, if you use the World Select feature, it won't switch the world number down there, I am in a members world.

Now that you have it as an image, figure the area you want to crop from the picture, click down on one of the corners of the image you would want, and drag it to make a gray lined (not thick, very skinny, if you see a new box your doing this right) box over the area. Then let go of the mouse. Press Ctrl+C. Now open up a new Ifranview, and hit the Ctrl + V keys simultaneously, this will make your cropped picture show up. After this click the save icon and upload the image, following directions in the first post.

Example:
pic2vc9.png
Edited by Xaria

Thanks Cxkslei, I've added that information in.

manace74_cant_pk, what do you mean by "i only need the first link"?

I think I understand what you mean, you're testing the two different codes for posting a picture? When doing the one where you copy the "Direct Link To Image" option, you have to remember that the second "xxpkxxtl9.png

But just use whatever one you find easier <_<.

Okay acac1225, click on any other tool on the toolbar except for the top two. Then scroll to the very sides of the page and look close, they can be pretty hard to find.

Try that, did it work? :unsure:

You copy paste this one then add dltiep7.png

[img=http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9226/dltiep7.png]

This will stop alot of the spam hopefully

Excellent guide, nice for those new peeps on Sal's. ^_^

~Knight Haleth

How do i put a link to a picture and the link says lvl 2 fletching?

How do i put a link to a picture and the link says lvl 2 fletching?

The code would look like this:

[url="link to image"]text which you can see, such as "level 2 fletching"[/url]

So if I use the picture Evolution posted as an example, my code would be like this:

[url="http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9226/dltiep7.png"]Click This![/url]

Which would turn out like this: Click This!

When you make a post, there is this little green symbol under the fonts options, when you put your mouse over it, it should say "Insert Link". Click on it, paste the image link, click okay, write in the text you want, click okay, and that will give you the code which I showed above.

@Evolution: Good idea, thank you. :D

Edited by Xaria

In all honesty I prefer to use Screenprint. Basically it is a program that does all of the above just in one go. Basically you have it running in the background. When you want to take a shot, press ctre/prt-scr and your screen freezes (though the action in the background will keep going. Select the area you want to save and then save to where you set your default folder. That is it. Cropping on the fly saved me time and again while taking shots when in a fight or quest...

screenprint.png

--Simple--

srry i have quikshot from image shack i took the screenie and it said it saved but i dont know how to view it again how do i do this?

thanks! :o

Okay, I don't have Quickshot, but I looked at ImageShack's site and they say that "Your screenshots are saved in C:\Program Files\ImageShack\ImageShack QuickShot\Screenshots by default." So I think if you found that folder, or if you specified a different place for them to be saved, go there and open them to view them.

They also say this in their FAQ:

How do I upload screenshots into my account?

Click on the blue "Registration-Code" link. If you are not logged in, make sure to do so. Copy and paste your Registration code from the resultant webpage into the Registration-Code field inside ImageShack QuickShot, then press "Set ID." After a short while, your account should validate.

Here's their FAQ.

how do i post directly from swiftswitch

Here's a quote from this topic:

Very simple:

Find the place where your swiftswitch photos are stored (normally in the SS directory)

Then follow Xaria's guide: http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/inde...howtopic=112549 from the bit marked: Loading an image onto imageshack.

@ Simple013: That program sounds interesting, I'm going to try it. :(

@ RuneScape rocks: Perfect, looks good. :)

Btw sorry if it doesn't show up Ive read the rules it says that new members posts are turned invisible if they post this... if it does show up hooray

That only happens until the member reaches five posts, afterwards pictures and links will be posted normally.

Edited by Xaria

Guest snowball
letmeclearujy8.png Edited by snowball

Another guide from our very best. Good Job!

Edited by Definition

Guest Masta Miner

I Don't have any program like paint or photoshop or any other that I know of. so how do I take a screenshot now?