Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frosty Pain

Riddle(need Help With)

ok my rs teacher loves phisolophy and set me this riddle:

you want to go to heaven and there are 2 doors and. one to hell one to heaven(you dont no which is which). there are two men who knows which one is which and one lies and one always tell the truth(u dont know which ones which) you can ask one of them a question, what do you ask?

Well, that is certainly a tough one. does it have a single definite answer?

either way if I had to ask one a question it would be "can I ask you two questions instead?" (stupid answer, I know)

Can you PM me the answer? I really wanna know it

Thanks

I know this one.

Ask a computer, "If I ask the other computer which door I go into to go to heaven, which door do I go into?" The lying computer will say the door to hell because the truthfull computer would have said to go in the heaven door. The truthfull computer would say the lying computer would say to go in the hell door as well.

Pretty much, go to the other door either of them say.

Source:

For example, Let Computer A - tells truth and Let Computer B - tells lies)You will ask one of the computers this question: "IF I ASK THE OTHER COMPUTER WHICH DOOR LEADS TO HEAVEN, WHAT DOOR WILL IT TELL ME?.." If say, you asked Computer A (which tells the truth), it will tell you that Computer B (which lies) will tell you the door to HELL. (BEC COMP. A KNOWS THAT COMP. B WILL LIE TO YOU SINCE YOU ARE ASKING FOR DOOR TO HEAVEN).. AND If you asked Computer B (which lies), it will tell you also the door to HELL. (BECAUSE IT LIES, SINCE COMPUTER A WILL REALLY SHOW YOU DOOR TO HEAVEN, THEN COMPUTER B WILL LIE AND TELL YOU THE OPPOSITE WHICH IS THE DOOR TO HELL).. SO TO GET TO HEAVEN, YOU WILL CHOOSE THE DOOR THAT THE COMPUTER DID NOT TELL OR SHOW YOU

Link

"Which door would you go in?"

The person who is a cronic-liar would want to go to Hell, thereby telling you Heavens door since he is a liar. The person who always tells the truth would honestly tell you Heavens door.

That one's a toughie. Luckily, I know the answer. You ask one person "If I were to ask the other person which door leads to heaven, what would they say?" Whichever door the person says the other one would say, you stay away from; go in the one they didn't point to.

Why this works:

If you asked the liar, then he would think about it and realize that the truth-teller would give you the correct door. Knowing this, he would lie and give you the false door.

If you asked the truth-teller, then he would think about it and realize that the liar would give you the incorrect door. Having to tell you the truth, he would point at the incorrect door, since that's what the liar would say.

I already explained that exact same thing two post up. :/

I already explained that exact same thing two post up. :P

Yes but your example of it was not easy to understand. So him reposting it was a lot clearer way to answer it.

Are you only allowed to ask one question?

Ask one of them if the other one is a woman (since they are both men). The lying one will say that the person is a woman. The truthfull one will say no.

Yes, that helps you figure out which one is which, but now you can't decide which one leads to heavan and which to hell. If you were to do that, you would know some potentially helpful information that can no longer help, thus leaving you stuck. The tricky part to this riddle is just that; you would think you would somehow need to find out which one is which, although the answer (posted twice above) is just for the door. You were thinking along the right tracks, though. Good job! :(

Are you only allowed to ask one question?

I believe so. Otherwise it would be too easy :D

Edited by hothead73