Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Salmoneus

Before Asking For Help...

I thought I might just post something to make it clear on what we need to help you with forum problems, so please read this before asking questions. :)

Also, this guide is mostly for technical problems on the forum. If you just have a question about something, you don't need to read this.

How to Ask For Help

Please note: this forum is specifically for Forum questions and help. Any other questions belong in their respective boards.

First Things first

Before even asking, there are certain things you should do to try and fix the issue yourself.

1. Clear your Browser's Cache - This will fix all sorts of problems you may have. Your browser keeps a cache of all pages viewed, and from time to time they may get "stuck" in memory and refuse to update. This can cause problems with forums and other PHP pages, as they are dynamic and often change.

To clear your cache, follow these steps for your browser:

--Firefox: Click Tools--->Options. Click on the "Privacy" tab and then select the "Cache" tab inside of that box. Now click on the "Clear Cache Now" button to clear it.

--Internet Explorer (IE): Click Tools--->Internet Options. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click the "Delete files..." button.

2. Clear your Browser's Cookies - Cookies are also a big cause of problems. They are used by forums and other websites to keep you logged in, and you MUST have them enabled to use most forums.

To clean out your cookies, follow these steps, depending on your browser:

--Firefox: Click Tools--->Options. Click on the "Privacy" tab and select the "Cookies" tab inside of the box. Click on the "Clear Cookies Now" button to clear them out.

--Internet Explorer: Click Tools--->Internet Options. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click the "Delete Cookies" button to delete them.

*After completing these steps, close out of your browser and then open it up again.

If the Problem Persists

If you're still having issues after doing these above steps, post in this forum. Let us know the following:

1. Your Browser - There are many different browsers out there, and each one shows pages differently. We're not mind readers, so please let us know if you're using IE, Firefox, Safari or another browser.

2. Provide a Screenshot - if you can, please provide a screenshot of the problem. This helps us pinpoint the problem.

3. What were you doing (browsing another site, checking a PM?) before and when the problem happened?

4. If you're getting an error message when trying to post or do something else, either take a screenshot of it or copy the text.

Tips

Here are some other helpful things that you may find useful if you're having problems with the forum:

1. Can you use another browser? - if you have 2 browsers (like firefox and IE), try using the one you haven't tried. If the forum is still having a problem in the other browser, it's a forum problem. If not, it is probably a browser problem, which we may not be able to help you with.

2. Are you using Zonealarm Pro? - If you're using ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP) and Firefox, and images aren't showing up properly, it's because of ZoneAlaram's cookie-blocking option. To fix the problem for this site, go into ZoneAlarm Pro and select the "Privacy" tab" Click on the "Site List" tab near the top right, and click the Add button. type in runescape.salmoneus.net and click OK.

----------

I hope this helps, I'll add onto it more if I can think of anything else. :)

I think that the clear your cache and delete your cookies part will be useful, since that is the first thing you (or others) say to do everytime they answer or so.

And i know i am dumb with computers, but i always tought that your cache and your cookies were the same thing, but it looks like it isnt..=P

off-topic: Prepare to see this topic still of actuality in 2 months, just like the other topic you made about being a mod/dm..=P Everyone will want to say: good job sal, hope it will help

edit: First post plox?

Edited by Patou

2. Provide a Screenshot - if you can, please provide a screenshot of the problem. This helps us pinpoint the problem.
And if you cant get a screenshot for some reason (ex: you dont know how) try and copy and paste the text of the error message you get.

1. Can you use another browser? - if you have 2 browsers (like firefox and IE), try using the one you haven't tried. If the forum is still having a problem in the other browser, it's a forum problem. If not, it is probably a browser problem, which we may not be able to help you with.

Or if could be a problem on your computer. So maybe ask someone else, and tell them to do the same thing. If it happens for you in IE and FF, but not on Patau's FireFox, chances are you have something wrong with your computer (or firewall maybe?)

It looks great and all but I know almost no one will read this because their too lazy and just want their question answered =P