Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Golden arm42

The Kharidian Desert

The Kharidian Desert

written by Golden arm42

special thanks to Lambug, Styx93, Damaged500, z0mg h4xz0rz him pl0x, Simple013, Dani, Mitsuhide Komine, Hawk, Pig, Greek Cook, GrandTheftGamer, Iggyfangmax, Alex0252, -Ryan-

Ever wondered what lies in the vast wasteland south of Al-Kharid? Well, it’s the desolate Kharidian Desert, and it’s a dangerous place, filled with bandits, crocodiles and vultures. However, the Kharidian Desert offers good rewards to those who dare to breach it. In the Kharidian Desert, you can start many quests, fight some unusual monsters, and even play a minigame!

I.What to bring and forewarning

First, before you enter the Kharidian Desert, visit Shantay at Shantay Pass, south of Al Kharid.

shantayquickshotae7.png

From Shantay’s shop, you can buy most of the items that you’ll ever need to stay safe in the desert. First, buy a Shantay Pass passgx8.gif from its namesake, which will allow you to access the Desert. Next, buy a Desert Shirt, Desert Robe and Desert Boots.

desertshirtel0.gif

4vhzoll.png

desertbootsgu9.gif

These robes will let you go longer without needing water. If you've completed the Rogue Trader minigame, the desert clothes that you can buy at the end will also serve as part of your SDTG (Standard Desert Traveling Gear).

Even if you reflect the sun’s heat, you’ll still need a water source. From Shantay, you can buy a Waterskin (4) waterskindm0.gif for the small sum of 32 gp. Before setting out into the desert, make sure that you have 2-5 Waterskins. At this point, you will have a complete set of SDTG.

Your character will automatically drink from the Waterskin when he/she is thirsty and it will become a Waterskin (3). To fill it up again, simply use the Waterskin with a sink, or a bucket or jug filled with water. Additionally, by cutting a healthy Kharidian cactus with a knife, you will give your Waterskin another dose of water. However, relying on cacti is risky; you will sometimes fail to cut the cactus and not receive any water from it. In the desert, all water in open containers (e.g., buckets, bowls) will evaporate. This is how you cut a cactus.

kharidiancactusvw9.png

II. Desert Cities and their Attractions

Now that you know the risks of the Desert, it's time for the good parts. Of course, not all of the Kharidian Desert is, well, desert. Many cities have sprung up at oases, where drinking from your Waterskin is not necessary. The largest of these cities is Pollnivneach, on the bank of the River Elid.

pollnivneachok9.png

Pollnivneach boasts a Kebab shop, the Smoke Dungeon , and plays a major role in The Feud quest. If you need to restock your supplies, you can buy Waterskins from the town General Store.

Another important desert city is Nardah, southeast of Pollnivneach.

nardahik4.png

This city’s main attraction is for its role in the Spirits of the Elid quest. There's also a bank in Nardah, which is handy, given that it's the only bank in the Kharidian Desert. Additionally, if you don't have a high enough Herblore level, you can have all your unidentified herbs identified for the fee of 200 coins per herb, and you can buy pieces of black and runite armor from the armor shop there. Before you leave Nardah, be sure to stop in and sample Rokuh's Runescape-famous Chocolate Ices!

rokuh2ar0.png

To the southwest of Shantay Pass and northwest of Pollnivneach is the Bedabin Camp. This city plays a major part in The Tourist Trap quest. Additionally, the Bedabin Camp provides a place for you to restock on your water supplies, as by trading with the Bedabin Nomads, you can buy Waterskins, Knives and more.

bedabinbarteringfh7.png

Finally, the last major city in the Kharidian Desert is Sophanem.

sophanemrl2.png

This interesting city, although in the middle of nowhere, is the home of the Pyramid Plunder minigame and is the start location for the quest Contact and plays a major part in Icthlarin's Little Helper quest.

There are many other things to do in the Kharidian Desert that aren't in cities, per se. Southwest of Shantay Pass is the Kalphite Lair, home of the level 333 Kalphite Queen. Along with the Queen, there are dozens of lower-level Kalphites roaming the dungeon, whom you can easily use for Slayer tasks. This dungeon also contains the only respawn of Potato Cactus in the game, used in making potions for Herblore.

kalphitelairae4.png

Directly south of Shantay Pass, the Desert Mining Camp is a good spot for high level miners. This mine boasts six adamantite rocks addyoreid2.gif and six mithril mithorede8.gif rocks. To access the camp, you need to have completed The Tourist Trap quest.

Southwest of the Desert Mining Camp is the Desert Bandit Camp. This city provides one of the best training areas in Runescape, if you know how to do it. For more information about this method, check out the Desert Bandit Camp city guide. In addition to training, you can buy a frosty Bandit's Brew for 650 coins, which temporarily raises your Thieving by one level. Finally, the Bandit Camp has a General Store that allows you to restock on desert supplies.

banditcampjr1.png

Another desert mining spot is southwest of the Desert Mining Camp, at the Quarry. Here, there are 20+ sandstone sandstone10kgsi5.gif and granite granitemediumvj0.gif rocks, which provide excellent experience if you like to powermine. The Quarry plays a role in the Enakhra's Lament quest, and the quest's start point, Lazim, stands north of the Quarry.

Directly east of the Quarry is the Pyramid. The Pyramid's sole function is as part of the Desert Treasure quest. Azzandra, the final character in Desert Treasure, can be found here.

At this point, we must cross the River Elid on our trip through the Kharidian Desert. There are only two bridges on the River Elid. One is directly east of the Pyramid and the other is southeast of Shantay Pass.

elidbridgeqd1.png

Once you cross the bridge east of the Pyramid, the next major landmark is the Agility Pyramid minigame, located southeast of the bridge. You need 30 Agility to play, but that work pays off. You get a good Agility Experience boost when you finish it. Be sure to bring food, some Agility Potions and the rest Waterskins if you want to stay camped there. There are many obstacles to dodge, and some of them get frustrating. Be sure to be wearing Desert Robes when you do this, to conserve your waterskins. To put the Agility Pyramid in geographical perspective, southwest of the Agility Pyramid are the twin cities of Sophanem and Menaphos, and northeast of the Agility Pyramid is the city of Nardah.

A long way north of Nardah is the next attraction: a Hunter area. Here, with level 13 Hunter, you can catch Desert Devils. They drop bones, raw beast meat, and desert devil fur, the last of which is used to make Camo-Gear.

Time for the last Kharidian Desert attraction! It's the Ruins of Uzer, the location of The Golem quest. Other than that, there's nothing to do, except for a small clay mine to the northwest.

III. Desert Shops (if guide gets accepted, this info should be in a table)

Seddu’s Armor Store (Nardah)

Sells Rune platelegs (64,000 gp.) runelegshv5.gif

Sells Rune plateskirt (64,000 gp.) runeskirtfb3.gif

Sells Rune Chainbody (50,000 gp.) runechainkx4.gif

Sells Green Dragonhide Chaps (3,705 gp.) greenchapsyd9.gif

Sells Green Dragonhide Vambraces (2,375 gp.) greenvambracesku6.gif

Sells Steel Kiteshield (807 gp.) steelkiteon8.gif

Sells Black Medium Helmet (507 gp.) blackmedhelmqz6.gif

Rokuh’s Shop (Nardah)

Sells Choc-ices (30 gp.) chociceyk0.gif

Sells Chocolate Bars (10 gp.) chocolatebarqj6.gif

Nardah Hunter Shop (Nardah)

Butterfly Net (24 gp.) butterflynetqd5.gif

Butterfly Jar (1 gp.) butterflyjarxe8.gif

Magic Box (720 gp.) magicboxky2.gif

Noose Wand (4 gp.) noosewandlv6.gif

Bird Snare (6 gp.) birdsnarexk5.gif

Box Trap (38 gp.) boxtrapor1.gif

Teasing Stick (60 gp.) teasingstickao8.gif

Unlit Torch (4 gp.) unlittorchnc3.gif

Rabbit Snare (18 gp.) rabbitsnarelu5.gif

Nardah General Store (Nardah)

Pot (1 gp.) potdk2.gif

Jug (1 gp.) jugmo2.gif

Shears (1 gp.) shearspy1.gif

Bucket (2 gp.) bucketsz2.gif

Bowl (5 gp.) bowlcm0.gif

Cake tin (13 gp.) caketinoo5.gif

Tinderbox (1 gp.) tinderboxhg5.gif

Chisel (1 gp.) chiselae8.gif

Hammer (1 gp.) hammeriz2.gif

Newcomers' Map (1 gp.) newcomermapyh2.gif

Bandit Bargains (Desert Bandit Camp)

Waterskin (4) (30 gp.) waterskinjb1.gif

Waterskin (0) (15 gp.) waterskinjb1.gif

Jug of Water (1 gp.) jugwaterso9.gif

Bowl of Water (4 gp.) bowlwatersb7.gif

Bucket of Water (6 gp.) bucketwaterkc5.gif

Jug (1 gp.) jugao3.gif

Bowl (4 gp.) bowlhn4.gif

Bucket (2 gp.) bucketui3.gif

Desert Boots (20 gp.) desertbootsii4.gif

Desert Shirt (40 gp.) desertshirtsa4.gif

Desert Robe (40 gp.) desertrobexf0.gif

Knife (6 gp.) kniferw0.gif

Bedabin Village Bartering (Bedabin Camp)

Waterskin (4) (36 gp.) waterskincg2.gif

Waterskin (0) (18 gp.) waterskincg2.gif

Jug of Water (1 gp.) jugwaterfw5.gif

Bowl of Water (4 gp.) bowlwaterwl8.gif

Bucket of Water (7 gp.) bucketwaterul3.gif

Knife (7 gp.) knifeby3.gif

Pollnivneach General Store (Pollninvneach)

Pot (1 gp.) potdx2.gif

Jug (1 gp.) jugfo6.gif

Waterskin (3) (7 gp.) waterskinfr7.gif

Desert Shirt (40 gp.) desertshirtcy3.gif

Desert Boots (20 gp.) desertbootsls6.gif

Bucket (2 gp.) bucketfz7.gif

Fake Beard (1 gp.) fakebeardov3.gif

Kharidian Headpiece (1 gp.) kharidianhairrx6.gif

Cheese (4 gp.) cheesenl1.gif

Lime (2 gp.) limesk2.gif

Orange (2 gp.) orangeks7.gif

Tomato (4 gp.) tomatomj4.gif

Jug of Water (1 gp.) jugwaterhi2.gif

Bowl of Water (4 gp.) bowlwaterpr9.gif

Bucket of Water (6 gp.) bucketwaterkh4.gif

Kebab Shop (Pollnivneach)

Kebab (3 gp.) kebabji8.gif

Super Kebab (5 gp.) superkebabgj6.gif

Red Hot Sauce (0 gp.) redhotsauceml0.gif

The Pub (Desert Bandit Camp)

Bandit's Brew (650 gp.) banditbrewqk3.gif

The Asp and Snake Bar (Pollnivneach)

Beer (2 gp.) beergy8.gif

Brandy (5 gp.) brandyir3.gif

Grog (3 gp.) grogvt7.gif

Jug of Wine (1 gp.) winegs5.gif

Vodka (5 gp.) vodkaqx2.gif

Whisky (5 gp.) whiskyqq2.gif

Blackjack Shop (Pollnivneach)

Willow Blackjack (600 gp.) willowblackjackul5.gif

Raetul and Co's Cloth Store (Sophanem)

Linen (30 gp.) linenqu2.gif

Silk (30 gp.) silkxc5.gif

Desert Shirt (40 gp.) desertshirtfd4.gif

Desert Robe (40 gp.) desertrobepg8.gif

Needle (1 gp.) needleoh8.gif

Thread (1 gp.) threadyt7.gif

Embalmer (Sophanem)

Pot (1 gp.) potwa9.gif

Gnome Spice (3 gp.) gnomespiceag4.gif

Curry Leaf (28 gp.) curryleafrr1.gif

Pile of Salt (30 gp.) pileofsalteu0.gif

Bucket of Sap (45 gp.) bucketsapap3.gif

Anti-poison (3) (432 gp.) antipsnqx1.gif

Blades by Urbi (Sophanem)

Bronze Dagger (15 gp.) bronzedaggerbs8.gif

Bronze Scimitar (48 gp.) bronzescimhi7.gif

Iron Dagger (52 gp.) irondaggerfb2.gif

Iron Scimitar (168 gp.) ironscimvo3.gif

Steel Dagger (187 gp.) steeldaggercu3.gif

Steel Scimitar (600 gp.) steelscimmp1.gif

Mithril Dagger (487 gp.) mithdaggerpg9.gif

Adamant Dagger (1,200 gp.) addydaggermy3.gif

Rune Dagger (12,000 gp.) runedaggerul6.gif

Dragon Dagger (45,000 gp.) dragondaggertb7.gif

Stone Scarab (22 gp.) stonescarabeq0.gif

Stone Statuette (26 gp.) stonestatuetteed8.gif

Pottery Statuette (14 gp.) potterystatuettekl4.gif

Nathifa's Bake Stall (Sophanem)

Waterskin (4) (30 gp.) waterskinfr7.gif

Cake (50 gp.) caketo6.gif

Bread (12 gp.) breadbx2.gif

Chocolate Slice (30 gp.) chocolateslicenb3.gif

Jamilla's Craft Stall (Sophanem)

Tiara Mould (150 gp.) tiaramouldym1.gif

Sickle Mould (15 gp.) sicklemoldqr8.gif

Holy Mould (7 gp.) moldholybj0.gif

Amulet Mould (7 gp.) moldammygb4.gif

Ring Mould (7 gp.) moldringlp9.gif

Necklace Mould (7 gp.) moldneckof8.gif

Chisel (1 gp.) chiselkz9.gif

Thread (1 gp.) threadwq5.gif

Needle (1 gp.) needleqc9.gif

IV. Desert Transportation

The best way to get from city to city in the Kharidian Desert is by Magic Carpet, as it's much faster than walking. A Magic Carpet station icon is marked by this symbol carpeticonto2.gif on your map. The cities/attractions that are accessible by Magic Carpet are: Pollnivneach, Sophanem, Menaphos, the Bedabin Camp, the Ruins of Uzer, and Shantay Pass. For some of these cities, you need to complete a quest to before being able to take a Magic Carpet to these cities. Magic Carpet rides are a little expensive: 200 coins per trip. However, the price is reduced to 100 coins if you have a Ring of Charos (a). The price of a carpet ride is further reduced, to 75 gp, if you've completed the Rogue Trader minigame. For more information about Magic Carpets, check out the excellent Magic Carpets guide.

magiccarpetil7.png

V. Desert Quest-start NPCs

Archaeologist: talk to him to begin the quest Desert Treasure

archaeologistig3.png

Awusah the Mayor: talk to him to start the quest Spirits of the Elid

awusah1bc7.png

Golem: talk to him to begin the quest The Golem

golemgd6.png

Irena: speak to her to begin the quest The Tourist Trap

irenahw4.png

Lazim:Talk to him to start the quest Enakhra's Lament

lazimvx6.png

Wanderer: speak to him to start the quest Icthlarin's Little Helper

wandererhz2.png

VI. Desert Monsters

Bandit (level 41) pollnivneachbandit41tf4.png

Bandit (level 57 and level 74) bandit2ta8.png

Bedabin Nomad Fighter (level 56) bedabinnomadee3.png

Billy Goat (level 33) billygoatjp5.png

Crocodile (level 63) crocodilegz4.png

Desert Lizard (level 24) desertlizardmk5.png

Desert Snake (level 5) desertsnakexp7.png

Desert Wolf (level 27) desertwolf2vt1.png

Goat (level 23) goatjp8.png

Jackal (level 21) jackal2gj5.png

Lizard (level 42) lizardsw0.png

Locust (level 18) locustpicec7.png

Menaphite Thug (level 55) menaphitethugcs0.png

Small Lizard (level 12) smalllizardip4.png

Shantay Guard (level 22) shantayguardms3.png

Ugthanki (level 42) uganthkiuf0.png

Vulture (levels 27 and 31) vultureik9.png

Edited by Golden arm42

Looks good so far, but you may want to add a map of the desert. All the location guides contain a map of some kind.

You may want to add that in the desert areas the water evaporates from 'open' containers such as buckets or bowls. :band:

Oh,I think that Elidinis' Robes (from the Spirits of Elid quest) work as desert gear, too. Can anyone confirm, please?

Oh,I think that Elidinis' Robes (from the Spirits of Elid quest) work as desert gear, too. Can anyone confirm, please?
Can't but the desert gear from Ali M. after Rogue Trader does.

--Simple--

I wouldn't say this guide is near 60% done at all. A city guide should contain a map, attractions, people and monsters. You have the monsters covered and a description of the desert but there is no npc information. I suggest getting some attractions done like the shops you can find around the desert, you also mention nothing about the agility pyramid. I suggest adding some information on them areas then I would say your basically done. I wouldn't say it's bad tho, it looks like a very nice guide. Keep going!

-gazisere ^_^

Travelling
Only one l

Bedabin
I think it's Bendabin (Not sure)

attaction
Attraction

I think thats all there is.

The cities/attractions that are accesible ...

Accesible should be accessible. (Two S's)

That is all I see that haven't already been covered. Nice guide.

Guest Emanick1
Travelling
Only one l

Bedabin
I think it's Bendabin (Not sure)

attaction
Attraction

I think thats all there is.

It's Bedabin. :(

The Snake, Bandit, and Menaphite Thug pictures look like they're from the Pollnivneach section of the knowledge base.

They are the same, here is the link to the Knowledge Base where they were taken from: http://www.runescape.com/kbase/viewarticle...article_id=2630

Is that illegal? If so, I'm really sorry; not like I was trying to break the rules or anything like that. I figured that all in-game screenshots are taken from Runescape.com, and those pictures are from Runescape.com, so I thought it was okay. If it is illegal, again, I'm really sorry, and I'd be happy to remove them if that's necessary.

--Golden

Yeah, it's illegal. It's okay if you didn't know that, and now you know to not do it again. :cute:

By the way, your guide looks pretty good so far.

Great guide so far. Here is something you can add.

Once you cross the bridge east of the Pyramid, the next major landmark is the Agility Pyramid minigame, located southeast of the bridge. To train your Agility here, you must have level 30+ Agility. If you complete the whole course, you receive 1,112 Agility experience. Southwest of the Agility Pyramid are the twin cities of Sophanem and Menaphos, and northeast of the Agility Pyramid is the city of Nardah

You can add that you can get more exp because if you fail, you must do the previous level again. You can add that it is reccomented to bring food to the agility pyramid, because you can fail a lot. Also you can add that here you can replace the desert boots with boots of lightness.

i'll see if i can get one or two of those pictures you need. if i get them i'll add them in this post. note: if i screw up it's because i learned how to take pics a couple days ago

for some reason i couldn't edit post.... anyway here is pic of locust:

locustpic2fk1.png

for some reason i couldn't edit post.... anyway here is pic of locust:

locustpic2fk1.png

Hey, thanks for the help. Because I used your picture, I added you as a contributor.

Iggyfanmax, I guess I'll add something about the Kalphite Lair.

Perhaps you could add the individual prices of the shop products? Right now, it seems the guide is too short. I mean, you could probably add a lot more information as the Kharidian Desert is a big area to cover, though most of it is just sand.

you need to talk about the possible scams like takin you into the bar and giving them a sara object or having party in the desert "wear formal wear" ive had that when i first became a mem.

Ok everyone, I'm going to consider this guide done. Other than the pic of the High Priest of Icthlarin (which I can't get at this time and no one else wanted to), the guide is totally complete. :/

--Golden

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.