Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A Millie

Changing The Site Name

How did Steve's siggy appear in my quote :crying:

hmmm, the monke conspiracies....adds a little zing dontcha think?

I think it adds a little bit of "why the hell did they choose that name?".

Now then you wouldn't go to Coca Cola and say they had to change their name because Coca is found incocaine now would you?

That's not an accurate comparison, but I agree with the point you were trying to make.

I like the name, personally. As someone said, it gives a "homey" feeling, rather than the large, corporate coldness that stems from places such as "Rune Headquarters."

All I know, is that you shouldn't assume things about Sal unless you've gotten to know him. He is anything but egotistical.

I think the name should be changed to something easier to spell. :crying:

I had the hardest time memorizing "salmoneus" when I first started coming here. Then when I was able to fly fish on runescape I was like, "oh! "Salmon-eus".

Edited by Bub5000

To be honest, I never thought the site would ever get this popular. It started out small with a handful of pages and I decided to name it after my RuneScape character (after naming it "Runeconspirator's Realm of RuneScape", which imo was a silly idea :P ) because of my pure imaginativeness ( :crying: ) It was never meant to boost my ego or anyone else's, and the only thing I intended was for the site to HELP people with RuneScape, which it has done. Sure, my RS name has gotten around RuneScape because of it, but do you think that's what I actually wanted? I can't have my private chat set to "On" anymore because of all the people who message me, and I can't wander into Varrock (or any other town for that matter) without someone recognizing me and making some sort of comment on the site, causing me to stop what I'm doing and hang around. It seemed nice at first and made me think "wow, I guess the site's really helping people", but the novelty soon wore off. I couldn't care any less about getting my RS name out into the game... not to mention that I haven't actually played RuneScape in well over a year because of a lack of time and RL obligations. I don't need a website to build an ego. ;)

As for the name, I didn't want it to be some ripoff of any other "rune" sites. "Sal's Realm" to me seemed unique, so it stuck. A website/community's name is it's identity; it's how everyone knows it. What you're asking is to basically remove all of that, which has been built in a period of 5 years -- effectively "start over." The time to have done that would have been in 2003, before we were even really "on the map"; before a community was formed and everyone knew what "Sal's" meant. :P

I agree with Sal :crying:. Sal's realm is a unique name, and even if it means having a big ego, why shouldn't he take credit for the site he's made?

To be honest, I never thought the site would ever get this popular. It started out small with a handful of pages and I decided to name it after my RuneScape character (after naming it "Runeconspirator's Realm of RuneScape", which imo was a silly idea :P ) because of my pure imaginativeness ( :crying: ) It was never meant to boost my ego or anyone else's, and the only thing I intended was for the site to HELP people with RuneScape, which it has done. Sure, my RS name has gotten around RuneScape because of it, but do you think that's what I actually wanted? I can't have my private chat set to "On" anymore because of all the people who message me, and I can't wander into Varrock (or any other town for that matter) without someone recognizing me and making some sort of comment on the site, causing me to stop what I'm doing and hang around. It seemed nice at first and made me think "wow, I guess the site's really helping people", but the novelty soon wore off. I couldn't care any less about getting my RS name out into the game... not to mention that I haven't actually played RuneScape in well over a year because of a lack of time and RL obligations. I don't need a website to build an ego. :)

As for the name, I didn't want it to be some ripoff of any other "rune" sites. "Sal's Realm" to me seemed unique, so it stuck. A website/community's name is it's identity; it's how everyone knows it. What you're asking is to basically remove all of that, which has been built in a period of 5 years -- effectively "start over." The time to have done that would have been in 2003, before we were even really "on the map"; before a community was formed and everyone knew what "Sal's" meant. :P

Well now, since I got your point, from the one and only Salmoneus, I guess that my opinion will be my own opinion. And by the way, "Sal's" is a unique name, therefore I guess I'll stick with it. But during times such as multi-site steel war, people from other clans call us warriors "Sal's Warriors", which seems a bit egoish, towards Sal. But still, I don't want the site to undergo another whole big change just because of one topic on the forums. It's just that "Sal's" doesn't suit me. It's ok and unique, but just not the best title.

I agree with Sal ;). Sal's realm is a unique name, and even if it means having a big ego, why shouldn't he take credit for the site he's made?

Do you see the creators of other fansites name the site after them? Sal's was created by numerous amount of people.

I see your point, that the site (and community) was built by the members here and without them it wouldn't exist. I have no problem admitting that, and I've said it many times since the site opened... because it's true. :crying: Credit is always given to people who help, even with the "tiniest" submissions, and every decision made here is in the best interest of everyone who uses the site and forum.

As for things like the "Sal's Warriors" comment - maybe that's because the site's nickname is *Sals* or *Sal's*, which most people know it by. They're probably not necessarily saying that the participants are "warriors of Sal" (Sal's warriors).

Sal's was created by numerous amount of people.
Incorrect.

Sal made the site, before anything else. The forum followed. Once he made that, he added people to his staff to help run it. Note: these people did not create it.

EDIT: Ok, so other people have contributed the guides, etc. I don't consider that creating. :P

people from other clans call us warriors "Sal's Warriors", which seems a bit egoish, towards Sal.

Define egoish. :crying:

But really, I still see no problem in that.

But still, I don't want the site to undergo another whole big change just because of one topic on the forums.
Don't worry, it won't. :P

It's just that "Sal's" doesn't suit me. It's ok and unique, but just not the best title.

It's a whole lot better than Runescape Community, Rune Headquarters, etc.

Edited by Gardner

Pwnt? and i agree you should just start over that would suck. and then people will llook up sals and then what/ its not there. you wold be like 0mgz What is SlAmS called now?!!?!?shift111!!1!!

To point out - the general nickname for Sal's is Slams and the people are Slammers.

To point out - the general nickname for Sal's is Slams and the people are Slammers.

That was due to a misspelling of "Sal". :crying:

That was due to a misspelling of "Sal". :P

WTH did the M come from then? :P :crying:

That was due to a misspelling of "Sal". ;)

WTH did the M come from then? :P :crying:

I have no idea. :P I think someone used it in there leaving message, and it just stuck.

Edited by Adam

WTH did the M come from then? :blink: :P

To be more exact I think it was lempy's (Darren's) sister who misspelt Salmoneus in a goodbye topic as Slamonues and it just stuck :P.

WTH did the M come from then? :P :P

I have no idea. :blink: I think someone used it in there leaving message, and it just stuck.

Salmoneus

He must have transposed the "L" and the "A" and randomly decided to stick the fourth letter on the end.. Weird.

Guest Emanick1
I don't feel like a minion. :P

The name is okay with me. I don't see the point of changing it. It would be like changing Wendy's to Another Burger Place.

Wendy is dead! :blink: Sal is not!

Yeah, let's just leave things how they are. I am proud to serve my country. I would die on the field of battle for Sal gladly under the name "Sal's Warriors!" :P

I'm on Lunar Magicks anyway, so that provides a quick way to get to ToG. :P

we are not servants... we can choose not to work for him... not dissing your topic but if i created a website for runescape, i would want to get credit for it... not tht i would too much work... and we dunt havta pay to support him we jus ppl looking at free guides and such :P so he can name the site w/e he wants..

Hmm... Grandmaster Squirrel's Realm of Runescape...sounds nice...

.....not that .....

I don't feel like a minion. :blink:

The name is okay with me. I don't see the point of changing it. It would be like changing Wendy's to Another Burger Place.

Wendy is dead! :P Sal is not!

Wendy isn't dead, but her dad is. :P

:P

we are not servants... we can choose not to work for him...

You defy the all-powerful master?! Doom on you! Salmoneus is all, and all is Salmoneus...

:P

if you truely love sal, add Untitled-4.jpg to your sig :P otherwise GTFO >:blink:

would die on the field of battle for Sal gladly under the name "Sal's Warriors!" :D

FOR SAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Untitled-6.jpg

I felt that it was required. :)

Guest osiris

Well its sal's decision, notice how Runescape.salmoneus.net is just a subdomain, its still his, its not his personal site, but its his. So defining it as Sal's realm of runescape, is the perfect name because its his website, about runescape......DUH :D

Well why don't we change the name to "Just another RuneScape site"? Sal's makes us sound like a family.