Guest Emanick1

Death Penalty

Should it be legal?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Should it? Well!?

• Yes.
    • No.

Guest Emanick1

Should the death penalty be legal or not?

I really don't care (for a change! :queen: ), so I won't be active in this discussion. I don't believe that it's immoral to kill murderers, but I'm not sure whether the death penalty or life imprisonment would be worse. IMO it depends on the guilty's personal views, but asking him which he would prefer is impractical, obviously, so it's down to the jury and judge. And you. :P

Convince me! And yourselves.

Edit: Darn it, meant to make a funny poll with a lot of useless options, but I pressed Enter by accident. :D

Later Edit: Fixed an incomplete sentence. :P

Edited by Emanick1

Noooo!!!!!! *Kittenblob falls into a fiery pit of debatedness and melts...................

:queen:

Just kidding.

Anyway, unless a person is a really huge danger to society, I'm strongly against. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. I saw that on a bumper sticker today. :P

So a person commits a serious serious crime, and gets to LIVE in prison, with 3 meals a day...LIVING! Yes it is in a sucky enviroment, but he/she still has his/her life!

My view you commit something really serious like go on a mass murdering, you don't deserve to live.

So a person commits a serious serious crime, and gets to LIVE in prison, with 3 meals a day...LIVING! Yes it is in a sucky enviroment, but he/she still has his/her life!

My view you commit something really serious like go on a mass murdering, you don't deserve to live.

Wow! Life! Wow.... It's not heaven in prison, you know. :P

And it isn't our judgment as humans of who deserves to live or not.

I've gotten into an argument on the third post. Oh dear. :queen:

Yes i said already that it is not a great enviroment. But they are still living, they have a SMALL chance of escaping--ever heard of the death row escape?, they are around people, unless in solitary confinment. They are still living a life!--not a great one, but still a life.

There should. I mean if someone did a very serious crime then well, they'll wait in agony to go to Hell. Or if they're Athiest then they'll live as a bad thing

Yes i said already that it is not a great enviroment. But they are still living, they have a SMALL chance of escaping--ever heard of the death row escape?, they are around people, unless in solitary confinment. They are still living a life!--not a great one, but still a life.

Nothing justifies killing someone. In my eyes, if you kill him, you're no better than he ever was. Im'a gonna quote a little Roger Waters.

"Terror is still terror whosoever gets to frame the rules." - Leaving Beirut

Noooo!!!!!! *Kittenblob falls into a fiery pit of debatedness and melts...................

:queen:

Just kidding.

Anyway, unless a person is a really huge danger to society, I'm strongly against. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. I saw that on a bumper sticker today. :P

You wouldn't of happened to have been in Washington DC would you?

"certain inalienable rights, among these are the right to life" - The Constitution.

There should. I mean if someone did a very serious crime then well, they'll wait in agony to go to Hell. Or if they're Athiest then they'll live as a bad thing

Guess you've never heard of William Neal Moore.

if the death penalty were still around in canada. then people wouldn't be murdering so many people. if it was manslaughter or some thing then they should get 10-30 years jail for it. if it was first degree they should be executed.

Nope, never heard of William Neal Moore

Well, I'm sure he didn't mean it as a survey question. :rolleyes:

William Neal Moore

Reading the first two paragraphs is probably all you need.

"certain inalienable rights, among these are the right to life" - The Constitution.

That is seriously being selective, cx.:rolleyes: Anyways, you guys, ahem, who are against the death penalty, are hypocrites. You could care less if it is an abortion, but death penalty... Zomg! Human rights abuse. What kind of a person are you to condone that? :rolleyes:

That is seriously being selective, cx.:rolleyes: Anyways, you guys, ahem, who are against the death penalty, are hypocrites. You could care less if it is an abortion, but death penalty... Zomg! Human rights abuse. What kind of a person are you to condone that? :rolleyes:

The apparent problem is that they do not consider fetuses living humans.

If it can't survive on it's own, it is a parasite. I don't consider a fetus human.

(You do know the current youngest age a girl can get pregnant is 9 years old, you would want a 9 year old going through a pregnancy?)

Edited by Cxkslei

If it can't survive on it's own, it is a parasite. I don't consider a fetus human.

(You do know the current youngest age a girl can get pregnant is 9 years old, you would want a 9 year old going through a pregnancy?)

Your definition of a parasite and my biology book do not match up.

The apparent problem is that they do not consider fetuses living humans.

Well, that is sad, imo. As a result, tons of babies have died.

Anyways, you guys, ahem, who are against the death penalty, are hypocrites. You could care less if it is an abortion, but death penalty... Zomg! Human rights abuse.

Ahem. *raises hand* :rolleyes:

YES I was raised an eye for a eye so only killers should get death penalty.

I never said I like abortion, just feel it should be kept as an open possibility.

This was on the death penalty? There's ways to make better use out of the justice department.

I see no use in killing the killers. The prisons are made so people don't escape from them. If these killers escape and kill again, it is the prisons which need to be looked at. The people have been delt their punishment and either stay in jail until they die naturally, or may die from an inmate. This seems reasonable to me, they can do no further harm. I myself wouldn't be able to handle the job of actually taking the person's life away. I would feel to much like a criminal myself.

It may seem right to kill someone who has committed that crime, but that just makes us as bad as the criminal. Put them in jail for life, that should be punishment enough.

I tried to stay out of this debate, however, I failed after reading some of these posts :o .

Wow! Life!

Yes, Life! Something that the murderer denied his victim <_<.

And it isn't our judgment as humans of who deserves to live or not.

Seems to me that the murderer took that right on him/herself. It is only fair that the same thing happen to the one who committed that crime.

I see no use in killing the killers. The prisons are made so people don't escape from them.

Then explain how people do escape?

If these killers escape and kill again, it is the prisons which need to be looked at.

Amazing, why didn't I think of that? I mean we all know it is the prisons fault. I mean, it was the prison that went out and killed that/those person/ people. Right? :/

The people have been delt their punishment and either stay in jail until they die naturally, or may die from an inmate.

Except for those who escape, and kill again. Thus resulting in yet another life gone, all because someone was to afraid to kill the person after he/ she committed the crime the first time.

I would feel to much like a criminal myself.

Then don't do it. There are plenty of people who would be happy to carry out the death penalty.

It may seem right to kill someone who has committed that crime, but that just makes us as bad as the criminal. Put them in jail for life, that should be punishment enough.

Oh noes, not the jail, anything but that! :ice:.

They get fed, a clean space to live. And they live off our tax money. How is that punishment?

It is more then their victim got :lol:.

To my mind, the death penalty is fine.

To quote Co-Z to prove a point.

I support it for big crimes like murder. With no death penalty, people are more likely to commit crimes.

Ex:

Dude: Let's kill him!

Dood: Yeah, I'm in. Who cares if we might get a life in prison? It's not that bad.

But with a death penalty

Dude: Wanna kill him?

Dood: l0lz nub, you'd get pwned by the guillotine. Kthnxbai.

My point indeed.

~John

Edited by John Adams

Pfft!! Seriously... I wish people would use basic logic when debating this topic. The below poster is a perfect example of a commonly used argument that is perfectly illogical.

Oh really? How so? Our society promotes this type of nonsenical logic, and I won't stand for it!:rolleyes: You are not using logic but only your emotions to determine that. The only thing similar in the death penalty is death, people get put to death for killing other people as well as some other special cases. Other than that, you don't have a case to stand on. The criminal, unless they have retardation of the brain, is fully aware of the consequences of his/her actions possible result. Also, most criminals benefit from their murder, if they don't get caught that is, but we don't gain anything from the criminal's death. In fact, we lose money because of our justice system. It costs more money to put a criminal to death than life in jail.

So, tell me- How, other than the ultimate death, does our death penalty compare to the criminal's crime?

From Dictionary.com itself:

"Biology An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host."

That describes a fetus 100%. There's no avoiding that.

Well, still the definition of Cxkslei wasn't technically right. Also, I don't really think a parasite is similar to a fetus. Most parasites are pathogenic; a fetus most definitely isn't!

I never said I like abortion, just feel it should be kept as an open possibility.

This was on the death penalty? There's ways to make better use out of the justice department.

Well, when you people stop supporting abortion, I'll be against the death penalty.

Pfft!! Seriously... I wish people would use basic logic when debating this topic. The below poster is a perfect example of a commonly used argument that is perfectly illogical.

Oh really? How so? Our society promotes this type of nonsenical logic, and I won't stand for it!:rolleyes: You are not using logic but only your emotions to determine that. The only thing similar in the death penalty is death, people get put to death for killing other people as well as some other special cases. Other than that, you don't have a case to stand on. The criminal, unless they have retardation of the brain, is fully aware of the consequences of his/her actions possible result. Also, most criminals benefit from their murder, if they don't get caught that is, but we don't gain anything from the criminal's death. In fact, we lose money because of our justice system. It costs more money to put a criminal to death than life in jail.

So, tell me- How, other than the ultimate death, does our death penalty compare to the criminal's crime?

Logic? I'm sorry, but I don't see where you think you proved he was perfectly illogical. It all comes down to whether or not you think killing someone is ever justified. We just feel there isn't.

Logic? I'm sorry, but I don't see where you think you proved he was perfectly illogical. It all comes down to whether or not you think killing someone is ever justified. We just feel there isn't.

I'm not trying to prove that he was illogical so much as I was trying to prove that his argument, which is commonly used, is illogical. And, no, it doesn't. It comes down to proving that killing somebody who was legally tried is different than the murder. If you can't prove that, then you can feel all you want, but you're still illogical.

Well, when you people stop supporting abortion, I'll be against the death penalty.

I guess I'm considered a part of that "you people" group, because if I understand correctly, "you people" = opponents of capital punishment. I don't support abortion; therefore, you now have to fulfill your end of the deal and "be against the death penalty". =D