Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emanick1

Death Penalty

Should it be legal?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Should it? Well!?

• Yes.
    • No.

i didnt say everyone. i said certian people, like guards, who cant rape you.

Tell that to the prisoners who were at Guantanamo Bay... :/

and what im trying to say is that being in jail for life with no chance of parole or any punishment worse then what you allready have isn't a good motivation to be good

I'm not trying to say that it would make you good. It'd be punishment. That's what's supposed to happen when you commit a crime - you get punished.

i didnt say everyone. i said certian people, like guards, who cant rape you.

Tell that to the prisoners who were at Guantanamo Bay... :/

and what im trying to say is that being in jail for life with no chance of parole or any punishment worse then what you allready have isn't a good motivation to be good

I'm not trying to say that it would make you good. It'd be punishment. That's what's supposed to happen when you commit a crime - you get punished.

well thats not exactly the ordinary prison.

yet they still cause trouble for us.

if there dead then most people dont care if there punished

Um, the families of the person they murdered might care if they're punished.

It's illegal becuase it's dangerous with no positive effects.

Just to elaborate on what Assassin's saying: no, the government does not consider getting high a positive effect.

Um, the families of the person they murdered might care if they're punished.

and if somebody murdered your family would you want them dead or sitting in a prison joining a prison gang and killing more people?

and if somebody murdered your family would you want them dead or sitting in a prison joining a prison gang and killing more people?

I would want them to be in jail for the rest of their natural lives, knowing that they'd never be free again and suffering with what they did. Killing them would be useless - it'd be as insufficient a punishment as a slap on the wrist. Obviously there's nothing that could truly make the killer pay for his actions, but them being imprisoned for the rest of their life is the best punishment the State can dish out.

I would want them to suffer the worst possible fate. I would want them to drown in their own guilt, if possible, and I would want them to rot in the darkest corner, of the darkest cell, of the darkest prison, on the darkest edge of the world, dead or alive. I would want them to sink into misery.

As to my opinion on the Death Penalty, it's not the best method to punish somebody for their crimes. They would possibly go insane, and be terrified before death, but when they actually die, they are no more. They can't suffer anymore. I will have to agree with Evin on this. Killing them only gives them a quick scare, not the correct period of suffering they deserve. A life in isolation is the best on I can think of, though a life-long sentence in a high-security prison, in my opinion, isn't too bad of a punishment, either.

~Lord N

Edited by Nadson

I think they shouldn't allow it for several reasons:

1. No one deserves to die, no matter what they've done

2. Each time the state executes someone, it costs thousands of dollars. I would know since my dad used to work in the county jail.

3. Among the world's leading countries, the US and China are the ONLY countries that still use the death penalty. The other countries are doing fine and they don't execute anyone. (not 100% sure on this though)

Isn't being locked up in a cell with very little contact with humans, eating crappy food, and never going outside for the rest of your life punishment enough?

@Lilshu: Damaged was using the term "leading countries" lightly, but I do think he has a point. Of these, how many of their law structures do the United States' resemble? None. We are much more similar to nations like Britain, France and Germany. What U.S. congressman looks to the laws in Eritrea for guidance? If I were a congressman, I wouldn't...

If I were a congressman, I wouldn't...

Really? It seems as though looking at many different law systems would be overly beneficial- you could see what works, what doesn't... Get some new ideas and the like. You've gotta look outside your backyard to find out the best way.

I wouldn't look in Eritrea because it obviously isn't the right way, since most of its population are starving... :)

Countries with the Death Penalty:

* Afghanistan

* Antigua and Barbuda

* Bahamas

* Bahrain

* Bangladesh

* Barbados

* Belarus

* Belize

* Botswana

* Burundi

* Cameroon

* Chad

* China (People's Republic)

* Comoros

* Congo (Democratic Republic)

* Cuba

* Dominica

* Egypt

* Equatorial Guinea

* Eritrea

* Ethiopia

* Gabon

* Ghana

* Guatemala

* Guinea

* Guyana

* India

* Indonesia

* Iran

* Iraq

* Jamaica

* Japan

* Jordan

* Kazakhstan

* Korea, North

* Korea, South

* Kuwait

* Kyrgyzstan

* Laos

* Lebanon

* Lesotho

* Libya

* Malawi

* Malaysia

* Mongolia

* Nigeria

* Oman

* Pakistan

* Palestinian Authority

* Qatar

* Rwanda

* St. Kitts and Nevis

* St. Lucia

* St. Vincent and the Grenadines

* Saudi Arabia

* Sierra Leone

* Singapore

* Somalia

* Sudan

* Swaziland

* Syria

* Taiwan

* Tajikistan

* Tanzania

* Thailand

* Trinidad and Tobago

* Uganda

* United Arab Emirates

* United States

* Uzbekistan

* Vietnam

* Yemen

* Zambia

* Zimbabwe

Democratic First World countries with the death penalty :

* United States

* Japan

* Korea, South ?

Not such an impressive list now.

Really? It seems as though looking at many different law systems would be overly beneficial- you could see what works, what doesn't... Get some new ideas and the like. You've gotta look outside your backyard to find out the best way.
Yarly

You'll find that third world despotisms dosn't have particularly great laws.

I wouldn't look in Eritrea because it obviously isn't the right way, since most of its population are starving... :)

You'll certainly be able to discover the mistakes that their government made, and prevent ours from doing the same.

Ergo, me not looking to that government for "guidance", like I said. Certainly I could look to that country when I'm looking for mistakes. And one of those mistakes would be, in my opinion, capital punishment.

You know, it seems as though I've changed my mind on this topic... What advantages does capital punishment give over lifelong jailing...
You can dance around the corpse at the end of it.

And in countries which don't allow the appeals and such on sentances it would probably be cheaper. Although in the US its more expensive to execute somebody than imprison them for life. It would free up space in prisons, if you executed large numbers for more docile crimes, although that wouldn't happen in a developed country,

Advantages imprisonment has over capital punishement.

- Its cheaper, although that may vary from country to counrty, in the USA I think it costs 2 million [although im not 100%] to execute somebody, mostly due to the appeals and court proceedures over the 10 or so years a person is in prison before execution. And thats on top of the cost of imprisonment, in NZ it costs around 90k [NZD] a year for imprisonment, thats around 55-70k USD so ... [55,000 x 10] + 2,000,000 = 2,550,000 which will get around 45 years of imprisonment.

- In cases of false imprisonment the felon can be released and compensated. In the case of guilt they can be [although not all the time] rehabilitated and released at the end of their term as functioning members of society.

- Execution faculties are expensive to build and maintain, [and in the case of gas] dangerous.

And thats not even taking into consideration the ethics of execution.

Edited by mystery_phill

You know, it seems as though I've changed my mind on this topic... What advantages does capital punishment give over lifelong jailing...

Tell me, was it SaxRocks1 who convinced you in the end? :)

Anyway, yeah, it really doesn't have any advantages, in terms of the punishment. Obviously, it's easier to bury a corpse and forget about it than having to deal with a human being, but that's hardly ethical, now is it? And there's always a chance of wrongful sentencing, in which case, an innocent person may be put to death. What do you say to their families, "my bad"?

Edited by Evin290

I believe that if the criminal has killed somebody else then they should get the death penalty. Yes, prison could in some cases be worse than death but in england and many other places the prisons are getting too full and people who have commited crimes are being given very short sentances or even no sentances at all. Well thats my view anyway.

So...some people are saying that if someone went on a murdering spree, or just merely killed one person, then they should live? They would be in jail in not that great conditions, but they are still living and being fed. Also, they are most likely having no guilt to what they have done. How can you people want the murderer to live??

If one human being kills another human being they deserve to recieve the death penalty.

Just got this in a MySpace bulletin.

6hel3jb.jpg

So true.

Once again, it costs over one million per prisoner that receives the death penalty, not to mention backing up court cases in the already backed up court sustem of the US. If a person commits a bad crime, then they should be given life in prison. If a person hasn't killed someone, then they should be put in rehab until they are seen fit to be released back into public. Most of the people in prison are drug addicts, mentally ill people the government doesn't want, or people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. THe problem with having full prisons is that no one is taking the time to make sure these people don't return to their old habits. At my dad's old work (the county jail where he was a social/mental health worker) his unit was understaffed. There was one guy who had no family, no money, no job, and no shelter to stay. When they released him he told them he'd be back because he had no where else to go. The next day he "stole" something from a store and waited outside for the police to come and get him. That just means the US needs better rehab facilities.

400px-Death_Penalty_World_Map.png

Use of the death penalty around the world (as of 2005/06).

*blue* Abolished for all offenses (88) (no death penalty)

*yellow* Abolished for all offenses except under special circumstances (11) (has death penalty for special cases)

*orange* Retains, though not used for at least 10 years (30) (has death penalty, but not used in past 10 years)

*red* Retains death penalty (68)* (still has death penalty)

*Note that, while laws vary between U.S. states, it is considered retentionist because the federal death penalty is still in active use.

"certain inalienable rights, among these are the right to life" - The Constitution.
That is seriously being selective, cx.:P Anyways, you guys, ahem, who are against the death penalty, are hypocrites. You could care less if it is an abortion, but death penalty... Zomg! Human rights abuse. What kind of a person are you to condone that? ^_^
Well, I personally am against the death penalty. Let me die rather than spend the rest of my miserable life in a grey cell with no interaction with the outside world. Life imprisonment is absolute TORTURE.I am against abortion, but mainly for religious reasons(Catholics believe that abortion is wrong). So don't generalise. <_<However, in very, very rare cases such as Osama, I think the acts they have committed - intending to rip hapless families apart - is serious. To me terrorism is the only crime that deserves the death penalty.EDIT: I couldn't agree more with 3n0nekay.
They killed some1, so we shud kill them.Its ez. I dunno y u dunno that. :D :o :D
Bad avatar, worse reply.You have lost my respect. Edited by Jellijelli

It depends on what they've done, for example: if they're serial killers I think they deserve the death penalty, plus if they where released for good behavior who knows what their manic brain might want to do to people? But some mass-murderers such as a 40- something year-old learn how to sew in prison and now his works are worth thousands-each, so I'd say its whether or not the person has really reformed or not.

Just got this in a MySpace bulletin.

6hel3jb.jpg

So true.

My favorite teacher at my old school had that on his bulletin board.

unless his life puts more in danger im against the death penalty

edit: when one kills another it is said to have a huge impact on the killer, either they have enourmous remorse, or they have the shock of remorse abcense, some killers could be those who dont care, some may regret it for the rest of their lives and wish death was handed to them

Edited by The Cheese

You can dance around the corpse at the end of it.

And in countries which don't allow the appeals and such on sentances it would probably be cheaper. Although in the US its more expensive to execute somebody than imprison them for life. It would free up space in prisons, if you executed large numbers for more docile crimes, although that wouldn't happen in a developed country,

Advantages imprisonment has over capital punishement.

- Its cheaper, although that may vary from country to counrty, in the USA I think it costs 2 million [although im not 100%] to execute somebody, mostly due to the appeals and court proceedures over the 10 or so years a person is in prison before execution. And thats on top of the cost of imprisonment, in NZ it costs around 90k [NZD] a year for imprisonment, thats around 55-70k USD so ... [55,000 x 10] + 2,000,000 = 2,550,000 which will get around 45 years of imprisonment.

- In cases of false imprisonment the felon can be released and compensated. In the case of guilt they can be [although not all the time] rehabilitated and released at the end of their term as functioning members of society.

- Execution faculties are expensive to build and maintain, [and in the case of gas] dangerous.

And thats not even taking into consideration the ethics of execution.

That's because of the chemicals costing so much for the "lethal injections". Some people would like to go back to the guillotine which is quicker, and more efficient.

That's because of the chemicals costing so much for the "lethal injections". Some people would like to go back to the guillotine which is quicker, and more efficient.

But then think of how much it will cost to pay people to clean up the blood. :D

So your going to let someone who has killed many people go out in public and repeat another murder?

Keeping them in prison might not do anything, prisons get full you know, am 50, 50, on this. :D