Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emanick1

Debate Room Pointless?

Guest Emanick1

Many people in the Debate Room, myself included, feel that the Debate Room's debates just seem...pointless. There are enough good debaters for all sides concerned that no one ever surrenders (or it's very rare :)) and agrees with the other side, thus making the debates seem...well...not really worthwhile. :/

Obviously it's a dumb idea for force people to agree with others, because if you haven't convinced someone, then you haven't. So I have an alternate suggestion, one that might not work, but could be worth consideration.

Could a mod, preferably an unbiased one, post every 10 pages on a debate and propose a winning side for that section? Or really, any debate that seems large enough; I don't really care how many pages as long as it is appropriate. Maybe it could edited in with the first post?

I hope this isn't impractical, but something really needs to be done. :/ I don't like arguing with people all the time and never having anything come out of it, and I'm sure no one else does either. I know enough mods post there that this would be at least possible.

I don't think it is a problem to be honest, maybe the arguments just need to be stronger to get people to change their stance. As for the mod posting, I don't think you could get an unbiased decision, because the mod is likely to have an opinion on the debate.

The debate room is a giant circle. NOBODY ever changes their opinion, and whenever one flamefest dies down another one appears. Yeah, it's pretty much pointless... however, that's really no reason to make it go away. Without the debate room, 1/2 of this forum's members wouldn't view me as a shouting, angry, rascist southern gun nut. :)

Guest Emanick1
I don't think it is a problem to be honest, maybe the arguments just need to be stronger to get people to change their stance. As for the mod posting, I don't think you could get an unbiased decision, because the mod is likely to have an opinion on the debate.

Yikes. Well, frankly, I can't imagine the arguments being much stronger. And frankly, in some of the topics, like the God/Athiesm topic many people have such strong feelings that to convince them that they were wrong you'd have to blatantly lie, and I doubt people would fall for it.

The more I think about it, the more I think something needs to be done. And I feel sure there are some mods out there who don't feel strongly on any one topic. Perhaps people could discuss who should be in charge of each eligible topic on the DM-only boards? :)

Oh, and Cost of Living. By no means should it go away. :/ I'm merely suggesting...well, read it again and you'll understand. :/ Btw you're not a gun-nut. :)

Edited by Emanick1

Btw you're not a gun-nut. :/

:)

In any case, i've gone and read some of the larger topics and it seems to me that not ONLY is the debate room one giant circle, it's also a way of sparking INTENSE hatred between forum members and creating a divide that is just... eerie. From what I can tell, the debate room splits the forums into a liberal and conservative side who seem to only converse much with members of their own... And perhaps, a moderator on each debate could fix that.

Edit: Had to add the quote. :/

Edited by Cost of Living

...there's a reason why I mostly stepped out of the debate room and just check out debates to see whether anyone is calling someone else an idiot or a Vogon poet. :) It's not pointless, but I don't see how a moderator awarding "wins" and "losses" is going to help. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I'M NEVER GOING TO AGREE WITH COST OF LIVING. :/ :/

About mods not feeling strongly about some topics - I'm not one of those, I just have lots of self-control when my mouse is hovering over "Add Reply". :)

I don't think it matters if people don't back down. People are just stubborn but that is okay. I use the debate room as a place where I can see other opinions that people have.

I avoid posting because whenever I do I get called fascist so it's not worth it :yay:

= Audio =

...there's a reason why I mostly stepped out of the debate room and just check out debates to see whether anyone is calling someone else an idiot or a Vogon poet. :blink: It's not pointless, but I don't see how a moderator awarding "wins" and "losses" is going to help. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I'M NEVER GOING TO AGREE WITH COST OF LIVING. :yay: :yay:

About mods not feeling strongly about some topics - I'm not one of those, I just have lots of self-control when my mouse is hovering over "Add Reply". :D

Hah! I'll have to remember the 'vogon poet' idea.:D Thanks, Dani. I should've thought up that one myself. :yay:

Anyways, you might as well say that debating in general is pointless.

If you think that they're pointless, don't post in the forum. You shouldn't decide what fun other people can have. :yay:

And you can't declare a winner for a debate like that. First of all, the mods are people. They have opinions. Also, to win a debate, don't you need to prove the other side wrong, and yourself correct? Most (probably all) of our debates don't have any one side that we know is correct, so there can't be a winner.

That Mod idea would never work. Most of the time there isn't a "winner" in a debate, especially on issues where it's about people opinion of things. When it's that kind of debate, there is no right answer, so there can be no right person.

The point of debating isn't "winning", it is just expressing your opinion. I debate to get my opinions out and to see the other side of the argument. And, I simply enjoy debating. If you need to "win" for something to be useful...:P

I don't think that the debate room was ever intended to change people's opinions. It's about having adult discussions in an environment where you won't be judged by your views. I think it's great. The reason I love it is because it's good practice for real-life debating. Also, it makes me feel good when I can come up with a good argument for my case; I feel humbled, not angry or upset, when I'm proven wrong. All in all, I think for people who use the debate room responsibly, discussions there can be very enriching. I also think that posting who's winning would be useless and, frankly, a bit annoying. It's not about winning or losing.

Edited by Evin290

Although I disagree, there are something I would like to see. Sectional Moderators. Moderators who can moderate debates specifically, because it has became FlameFest '07.

Well, you're right about how both sides usually have good debaters (or really stubborn ignorant people) so there is never a conclusion. From what I've seen, not many people will ever say, "You're right and what I was arguing for is wrong." But there isn't really a way for a mod to say who is right and who is wrong. That would just make one party extremely angry. Also, you're never going to find a mod (or a person for that matter) without some sort of bias. If you don't think that the other side will ever conform to what you believe, simply put your facts down and leave. I think if people were more open to different ideas, this wouldn't be a problem.

Thats the whole point to debating :lol:

You don't debate to join sides (although this casually happens). You debate to prove points wrong and correct, or to discover who is correct. You don't get converted by debates, only in rare cases, and I'm sure those won't happen on a runescape forum :P

Besides, debating is fun.

You don't stop a faking forum just because it's pointless, do you? Debating is just fun, and to prove a point.

No offense, but the mod idea would never work. Like it has been said, mods are people and people have their own opinion. Anyway debating is about the fun of debating, and not who is winning and who is losing.

If you have a specific problem with a post in there then report it. Sectional moderators aren't needed if people report topics that are breaking rules :blink:.

To be honest I think the Debate room is a place for people to just express their opinions with others agreeing. Its just a friendly debate between forumers and to view how we each view the world stuff like that. I don't think its useless, just a place to argue if you like to argue. I guess if you had a bad day you can express your feelings there by arguing eith people.

Many people in the Debate Room, myself included, feel that the Debate Room's debates just seem...pointless. There are enough good debaters for all sides concerned that no one ever surrenders (or it's very rare :blink:) and agrees with the other side, thus making the debates seem...well...not really worthwhile. :lol:

Obviously it's a dumb idea for force people to agree with others, because if you haven't convinced someone, then you haven't. So I have an alternate suggestion, one that might not work, but could be worth consideration.

Could a mod, preferably an unbiased one, post every 10 pages on a debate and propose a winning side for that section? Or really, any debate that seems large enough; I don't really care how many pages as long as it is appropriate. Maybe it could edited in with the first post?

I hope this isn't impractical, but something really needs to be done. :D I don't like arguing with people all the time and never having anything come out of it, and I'm sure no one else does either. I know enough mods post there that this would be at least possible.

So you're saying that mods are the smartest people? I'm not saying their dumb or anything, but um.. A mod is only suitable for this?

I like the liberty that debates gives you...PPl may not change their opinion but at least you stand for your beliefs

I thank the Lord for Sal's...

Many people in the Debate Room, myself included, feel that the Debate Room's debates just seem...pointless. There are enough good debaters for all sides concerned that no one ever surrenders (or it's very rare :ice:) and agrees with the other side, thus making the debates seem...well...not really worthwhile. :P

I hope this isn't impractical, but something really needs to be done. :huh: I don't like arguing with people all the time and never having anything come out of it, and I'm sure no one else does either. I know enough mods post there that this would be at least possible.

So you're saying that mods are the smartest people? I'm not saying their dumb or anything, but um.. A mod is only suitable for this?

Mods are very trustworthy members, and if someone was given this job, I would pick the mods. They may not be the smartest people on the board (although they all are intelligent excluding Meen), but they would try their best to be impartial. Think about it, they became mods from showing their maturity and activeness, so what other members would be chosen? A special group of members who debate a lot? I am sorry, but I would consider those people very bias.

I'm not saying I think it is a good idea, but it makes the most sense if we were to do it.

Everyone is going to have a bias, whether it is small or large. I just don't see it feasible.