Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moment

The Guide To Freeplay Safespots

Ok, Da Reefer Ranger pmed me and told me that for disclosed reasons he was quitting runescape and sals and requested that i take over this guide.

The Guide To Freeplay Safespots

by Da Reefer Ranger, -Ryan- & Pinkytm

Special Thanks to Morty, Warren, Esrom, sayf, Dragonlad, Cxkslei, Dragonmyth, jesseqzh, cap root, Half an Hour, Ultimate Bassist, Gain Again, tantalizingg, Evolution, lilshu, FireStint, Infiniti, bralkos, sword of web, vamite, Doddsy1992, Friky, Dropstarz, Un_t0uch, Masterchefsp, Gravedigg154, Gentle Gold, Dragonlad, The Who?, morfius, Mushroom, M__a__t__t_2, Praying Ranger, Robin hood and merry men, Sophia, Pig, Azuma, weechees, Mrcsupertrain, Drikam, Lordsam247 and Entrility

A safe spot is a square that you can stand on to attack an opponent from a distance using ranging or magic, and your opponent is unable to attack you.

Introduction

This guide will show you the best safespots for ranging and maging training in free-to-play. You'll learn exactly where to stand so that the monsters will not hit you. Also, this guide will tell you information about the monster drops and the training spots.

Contents

1. Lumbridge Cows

2. Lumbridge Goblins

3. Karamja Volcano Scorpions

4. Port Sarim Jail

5. Barbarians

6. Varrock Grizzly Bear

7. Guards

8. Port Sarim Pirates

9. Minotaurs

10. Draynor Jail Guards

11. Flesh Crawlers

12. Hill Giants

13. Deadly Red Spiders

14. White Knights

15. Moss Giants

16. Ice Giants and Warriors

17. Catablepon

18. Lesser Demons

19. Ankou

20. Edgeville Yews

21. Barbarian Village Fishing Spot

22. Al-Karid Mine

1. Lumbridge Cows

This spot is across the river from Lumbridge.

Cows (level-2) drop bones, raw beef, and cowhides.

02rs7.png

Stand across the fence and attack the cows.

03gs8.png

Stand on the other side of the fence and attack the cows.

2. Lumbridge Goblins

Goblins (level-2) drop bones, coins, runes, brass necklace, chef's hat, bronze square shield, and goblin mail.

04nu9.png

Stand on one side of the fence and shoot the goblin across the fence.

3. Scorpions on Karamja Volcano

Scorpions (level-14) drop nothing.

05vc7.png

4. Port Sarim Jail

This spot is in the jail located in southern Port Sarim.

Thieves (level-16), Pirates (level-23), Black Knights (level-33) drop bones, coins, and other items.

06ye3.png

Stand in the jail and attack the criminals that are inside the cells.

5. Barbarians

These spots are in Barbarian Village.

Barbarians (level-15 to 39) drop bones, coins, low-level equipment and beer.

07id4.png

You can safely range from behind all tables and chairs, so just stand across the table from the barbarians and shoot them.

08cu4.png

Stand opposite a Barbarian across a rock and attack.

6. Varrock Grizzly Bear Cage

This spot is behind Varrock Castle. You can range from outside of the cage, or get inside by entering through the sewers:

laddergrizzlyxo5.pngladdergrizzlymapei9.png

The Grizzly Bear (level-21) drops bones, and bear fur.

10mv1.png

Stand behind the sewer entrance and attack.

11mr1.png

Stand anywhere outside the cage and range or mage the vicious bear.

7. Guards

The most effective guard safespot can be found at the Falador South Gate.

Guards (level-21) drop bones, coins, runes, arrows, bronze and iron weapons and talismans.

12xm5.png

Most guards have a small wandering area. Stay behind the guards wandering area and attack them. The guards from southern Falador in the picture cannot walk to one square south of the tree.

8. Port Sarim Pirates

Pirates (level-26) drop bones, coins, runes, bolts, arrows, iron platebodies, iron bars, and uncut gems.

This spot is in the second room of the Ice Cavern.

Note: The pirates are aggressive, so if you train here it is a good idea to use melee until they are not aggressive anymore.

13je8.png

Stand on the corner of the mound of dirt and the pirate will be stuck on it.

14mp7.png

Stand behind the small rocks next to the dirt mound and pirates can be ranged safely.

9. Minotaurs

These spots are on the first floor of the Stronghold of Security underneath Barbarian Village.

Minotaurs (level-12 and 27) drop bones, coins, iron arrows, bronze equipment, runes, tin and copper ores, right half of skull, and uncut gems. They are non-aggressive

15if0.png

This spot is in the small room with level-12 Minotaurs in it. Stand on either side of the wall and attack the Minotaur.

16vj5.png

This spot is in the big middle room with level-27 Minotaurs in it. Stand on either side of the wall and attack the Minotaur.

10. Draynor Jail Guards

This spot is at the Draynor jail east of Draynor Village.

Jail Guards (level-26) drop bones, coins and low-level equipment.

17fq7.png

Attack over the fence.

11. Flesh Crawlers

Flesh Crawlers (level-28) drop ashes, coins, runes, bottom of sceptre, ores, bars, and uncut gems.

These spots are on the second floor of the Stronghold of Security.

18ql1.png

Stand near the door and attack the flesh crawlers and they will get stuck on the wall.

19vn4.png

Stand down the corridor so that the flesh crawler gets stuck on the wall.

12. Edgeville Dungeon Hill Giants

These spots are in Edgeville Dungeon. It can be accessed from Edgeville or with a brass key at a shack near Varrock.

Hill Giants (level-28) drop big bones, coins, arrows, bronze, iron, and steel equipment, beer, runes and talismans.

20nh4.png

Stand at the top of the hill behind the line shown and shoot the giant. Be careful, the giant will not see you. It may go behind the ladder and your character will run towards it. Note: If you are a lower combat level, the skeletons to the north may attack you.

21rw7.png

Stand against the rock pillar so that the giant gets hung up on the opposite side.

22uc7.png

Stand north of the two rock formations and attack the giant.

23kd1.png

Stand behind the rock formation shown and attack to get the giant stuck behind the rocks.

24bo5.png

Stand in the square shown and you'll be safe because the giant is too big to come back and get you.

25op1.png

To attack this giant you must be within the blue lines. When it starts coming towards you, run back to the red lines and attack again. You will be safe.

26tz9.png

Attack from behind the human corpses in the square shown.

27jx6.png

Attack from within the area shown and you will be safe from both giants.

28hj1.png

Attack from behind the rock formation and the giant will get stuck.

29tn6.png

Stand behind the coffin so there is open space between you and the giant.

30es5.png

Stand behind the line shown and the giant will not come attack you because it is too big.

13. Deadly Red Spiders of Varrock Sewer

Deadly Red Spiders (level-34) drop nothing.

31ep1.png

14. White Knights' Torture Cages

This spot is on the second floor of the White Knight Castle in Falador.

White Knights (level-36-39) drop bones, coins, arrows, low level weapons, food and iron bars.

32lh9.png

The white knights obviously cannot attack through the torture cages, but you can! Stand opposite the white knight across the cage and attack him.

If you have completed the Wanted! quest your white knight rank will decrease as you kill White Knights; even on freeplay servers.

15. (a) Varrock Sewer Moss Giants

This spot is in the Varrock Sewer near the Deadly Red Spiders.

33uj9.png

Stand behind the root and attack the giant. Usually you don't even have to safely position yourself due to the other players fighting it in multi-combat.

15. (b) Crandor Moss Giants

These spots are on Crandor Isle beneath the entrance to the cave you entered to kill Elvarg in the Dragon Slayer Quest.

Moss Giants (level-42) drop big bones, coins, runes, and mithril and black items.

34rj9.png

Attack from behind the line shown and the Moss Giant cannot attack you outside of its wandering area.

35ad3.png

Stand in the square designated by the picture and attack the giant over the rubble.

36uh0.png

Stand behind the pillar and you will be safe because the giant is too large to reach you.

37kd3.png

Stand on the opposite side of the mining rocks and you can safely range the giants, and run around to grab your arrows.

16. Ice Cavern

These spots are at the back of the dungeon that you entered to mine Blurite in the Knights Sword Quest. The entrance is south of Port Sarim near the Imcando Dwarf.

Ice Giants (level-53) drop big bones, coins, mithril square shield, black kiteshield, mithril mace, adamant arrows, mithril arrows, runes and low-level weapons.

38ww9.png

Stand behind the ice rocks and attack the giant. The giant is too big to fit back there, but sometimes Ice Warriors can come back and attack you. This is the safest spot in the ice cavern.

39no9.png

Stand behind the snow piles and the ice rocks when you attack the giant. Again, the giant is too big to get you, but the warriors can attack you if you aren't careful.

40aj8.png

Stand behind and one square over of the small ice rocks. Be careful of Ice Warriors.

41dk4.png

42gn9.png

Stand in the exact square shown and attack a giant. Here you can attack two giants if the monsters aren't aggressive towards you. This is the most effective spot in the Ice Cavern if you are not being attacked.

Ice Warriors (level-57) drop coins, runes and low-level weapons.

43go4.png

This works on any of the snow piles with Ice Warriors. Stand on the square next to the snow pile that is closest to the edge. You should be diagonal to the Ice Warrior, and it will be unable to attack you.

17. Catablepon

These spots are on the third floor of the Stronghold of Security.

Note: These have a considerable range defense, so I recommend using mithril or better arrows.

Catablepon (level-68) drop bones, coins, adamant med helm, mithril arrows, rune essence, runes, uncut gems and noted coal.

44gp3.png

This spot is in the northeast room. Attack from the exact spot shown in the picture. They seem to line up just so you can kill them!

45ob9.png

This spot is in the northwest room. Attack the Catablepon and it will get stuck on the tendrils.

46yu8.png

If a Catablepon manages to get past the above spot, attack from near the door and they will not be able to reach you. This is the safest spot.

47kn3.png

Attack from behind the tendrils.

48cb2.png

This spot is near the reward room. Attack from near the door so that the Catablepon gets stuck on the bones.

18. (a) Wizard Tower Lesser Demon

This spot is on the top floor of the Wizards' Tower.

Lesser Demons (level-82) drop coins, rune medium helmets, mithril chainbodies, mithril square shields, steel equipment, gold ores, runes, and uncut gems.

49xl6.png

Stand outside the cage and attack the demon.

Note: Telekinetic Grab runes will be required if you want to claim your loot.

18. (b) Crandor Lesser Demons

This spot is on Crandor right near the Moss Giants and the entrance to the dungeon where you defeated Elvarg during the Dragon Slayer Quest.

50sf6.png

Stand behind the rubble and shoot.

51pr1.png

Stand in this spot and the Demon will not be able to reach you because he is too big.

52lx0.png

If you stand in this spot the Demon will have to go at you diagonally and he will not fit.

53qi8.png

Stand behind the tree and the Demon will be unable to reach you.

54ua3.png

Stand along the edge of the cliff. Because of the Demon's size, it will be unable to attack you.

18. c) Karamja Lesser Demon Cave

Lesser Demon (level-82) drop coins, rune medium helmets, mithril chainbodies, mithril square shields, steel equipment, gold ores, runes, and uncut gems.

This spot is under the Karamja Volcano and across the lava.

55wl9.png

Stand on the lava bridge for cover when attacking.

Note: Sometimes the Deadly Red Spiders sneak up and attack if you are below 69 combat.

56nw1.png

Stand behind the torch and safely range the demon.

57an2.png

Stand behind the rock formations for cover.

58lr4.png

Stand behind the animal skull and you can safely range the demon. Be careful of the other demons that spawn nearby, as they are aggressive.

59pd9.png

Stand on the low terrain behind the line and attack the demon.

60bl9.png

Attack from behind the rocks.

61mk3.png

Attack from behind the torch and rock.

18. (d) Dragon Slayer Lesser Demon Cave

This spot is near Elvarg's cage and can be accessed from the secret door you discovered at the end of Dragon Slayer.

62yg0.png

Stand between the pillar and the lava and the demon will be unable to reach you.

63nr5.png

Stand here and the demon will become trapped between the pillar and the stalagmite.

64im0.png

If you stand right near the edge, the demon will be unable to get near you.

65bg4.png

Stand beside the rocks and the demon will get trapped.

65bg4.png

Stand in the corner near the door and the demon will not reach you.

4pyfafc.png

If the demon gets past the bridge than you can trap it by walking here.

19. Ankou

These spots are on the bottom floor of the Stronghold of Security.

Ankou (level-75) drops bones, coins, runes, uncut gems, noted mithril ore, noted essence, many law runes, adamant arrows and left half of skull.

66wz1.png

This spot is in the North-East room. Stand behind the corpses shown in the picture. Until you kill a lot of them it will be difficult because they will be constantly attacking you. When they aren't aggressive it's a good training spot.

Ankou (level-82)

67hd1.png

This spot is in a room near the bottom of the fourth floor. Any corpse is possible to attack over, though if you attack from behind the corpse in the picture you will get the best results.

20. Edgeville Yews

Random Events

This spot is in the Edgeville Yew cutting area and is useful for any random events you may get while woodcutting.

68cs7.png

Stand next to the bench so the random event gets stuck on the corner. It works on any of the benches.

69up7.png

If you get a random while chopping the south tree, run around the picnic table to safely range it.

21. Barbarian Village Fishing Spot

Random Events

70fv7.png

This spot is near the fishing spot outside of Barbarian Village. When you get a random event monster, walk up near the barrel and then run to the opposite side.

22. Al-karid Mine

alkharidscorpionsem8.png

Stand on the cliff above the mine and mage/range the scorpions. You can pick up your arrows, but it is a pain.

Edited by -Ryan-

Thanks Arch, I know that you will do a good job :P

I might get on RuneScape occasionally to pK, but that is about it. Good luck to everyone with RuneScape, and play responsibly!

EDIT: I started playing again, but now I am permanently muted. Some tool here in Sals reported me on the Sals chat for talking about cocaine > = S. TOOL! I still play, but it is hard as hell not being able to talk.

Edited by Da Reefer Ranger

Thanks Arch, I know that you will do a good job :D

I might get on RuneScape occasionally to pK, but that is about it. Good luck to everyone with RuneScape, and play responsibly!

You quitting Sals? Why? PLS don't.

Originally written by Da Reefer Ranger for Sals Realm of Runescape

Taken Over and Finished by The Arch Archer

Should be:

Written By Da Reefer Ranger and The Arch Archer

It's rewritten if it was already put onto the site.

If someone already wrote part of the guide and somebody else finishes it, it's written by both of them.

Edited by Pig

ok ill change it to that. and if you'd like to help out more could you take pics of the lessers on top of crandor island. that would be a big help.

Edited by The Arch Archer

Wow, that must've been one hard guide to make :) . But you did an excellent job. Lots of respect for that man! :P

It's a usefull guide too :$.

ive been quite busy lately and have not had time to get the Crandor lesser pics. If you would like to help out remember the format.

500x300 pixels for pic

220x166 for map

If you contribute you will be mentioned on the special thanks list.

ive been quite busy lately and have not had time to get the Crandor lesser pics. If you would like to help out remember the format.

500x300 pixels for pic

220x166 for map

If you contribute you will be mentioned on the special thanks list.

Is the map really 166? DRR said 165. :P

HERE THEY ARE ANYWAY:

safespot1vk7.png

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6256/safespot1vk7.png

map1du2.png

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7190/map1du2.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

safespot2wt3.png

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/802/safespot2wt3.png

map2rx7.png

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/1994/map2rx7.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

safespot3kz8.png

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4540/safespot3kz8.png

map3jn7.png

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5457/map3jn7.png

safespot4wq2.png

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6196/safespot4wq2.png

map4vr8.png

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2378/map4vr8.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

safespot5st7.png

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2153/safespot5st7.png

map5us8.png

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/651/map5us8.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope they are good.

Edited by Pinkytm

Beside all of the monsters names you have drop....., to be grammatically correct, it should probably be drops :xd:. I can't find any other errors though.

Looks really really flash, I remember when it was still a real Wip :xd:

Edited by M__a__t__t_2

So I know more what you mean could you quote a section and make the error text in red then retype it how you think it should be?

Example:

teh sky is blue.

The Sky is blue.

ok?

Edited by -Ryan-

Guest R4ng3 4 LYF

hey nice guide, i'd give it a 9/10 well done!

Guest nato262

cool that really helped me, not being sarcasy

I've noticed that the Lesser Demons in the Dragon Slayer Dungeon haven't been updated. I think it'd be wise to do as so many of the spots down there have completely changed.

I've noticed that the Lesser Demons in the Dragon Slayer Dungeon haven't been updated. I think it'd be wise to do as so many of the spots down there have completely changed.

Ready to go...!!!

Corrections in bold

-Champions Guild Chickens

-Lumbridge Cows

-Lumbridge Goblins

-Karamja Volcano Scorpions

-Port Sarim Jail

-Barbarians

-Varrock Grizzly Bear

-Guards

-Port Sarim Pirates

-Minotaur

-Draynor Jail Guards

-Flesh Crawlers

-Hill Giants

-Deadly Red Spiders

-White Knights

-Moss Giants

-Ice Giants and Warriors

-Catablepon

-Wizards' Tower Lesser Demon

-Crandor Lesser Demons

-Karamja Lesser Demon Cave

-Dragon Slayer Lesser Demon Cave

-Ankou

-Edgeville Yews

-Barbarian Village Fishing Spot

This spot is south of Varrock outside the Champions Guild.

lumbycow2wt1.pnglumbycow2mappi5.png

np also the deadly red spider thing isn't done suppose to say across the river sewer thingy to range/mage.

You've got the job Pinkytm, I know you'll do well.

Well unfortunately I quit RuneScape yesterday. I found out that if I make 30k everyday it is gonna take me 666 days to get 20mill for a santa hat. Right after I came to know that I got scammed off 11k willows I merchanted and got a 40.1(celsious) fever. I gave all my stuff to Macki and to a friend of mine from Slovakia. I will still be here on Sals but not on RuneScape.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.