Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
drcheesedude

Ban Text Messaging While Driving?

Yes, I believe it should be banned along with all communication devices, like CB radios.

banning cb's is not likely to since law enforcement and semi's use them all the time.

Which I disagree with, why should the use of radio communications be allowed when mobile phones are not (atleast in the UK). They both are as dangerous as each other.

Ok no more CB or cell phones. But now how do police and truck drivers talk to dispatch? I dont think that smoke signals would be practical

They would have to stop, or get someone else in the vehicle to speak. My point was that they are just as dangerous.

Talking/SMSing while driving should not be made illegal - if they were, then make all miniskirts and walking in bikinis/speedos illegal too; they can distract thoughts (and more importantly, eyes) from driving very effectively too. Personally I have had no troubles driving and talking on the phone at the same time. Yes, more often than not I wear bluetooth headset, but texting is a bit different matter. I type in a few letters, focus on road, type a few more and so on. No, I don't do it in cities or when there is a lot unsteady traffic going on. Yes, I may text while waiting for green light. No, I don't text that often.

On top of that, I don't care if they make it illegal to type SMS. Just as long as they don't discover the wonders of IRCing via mobile phone... I've heard that some people have irced while driving in icy roads... ^_^

I dont think i could text message while driving in the first place ^_^

Anyway, I think it is thier choice, if you get hurt, it was your fault, as far as I can see it :)

Again, it just comes down to common sense.... And pizza. ^_^

Anyway, I think it is thier choice, if you get hurt, it was your fault, as far as I can see it
What if they run over a person? What if they crash into another car? Is it those people's fault?

If it was a result of text messaging while driving, then yes. At least that is how I feel.

Im not saying it was the victim's fault, the driver is the one that should take responsibility for his or hers actions.

Edited by Big Tree

If it was a result of text messaging while driving, then yes. At least that is how I feel.

Im not saying it was the victim's fault, the driver is the one that should take responsibility for his or hers actions.

I used to think that, but what if they kill someone? Just say, "Whoops, my bad?"

Good point, I can't really answer that, being that i haven't been in that situation. ^_^

I think it all really comes down to common sense. :)

+1

A lot of people are wreckless these days. Especially teenagers because they have very little experience and they text message one another constantly. As TBW said it really comes down to common sense.

so your calling people who text while driving stupid? :lol: they might only while at a stop sign, they probably will only send a message with a few words meaning minimal distraction for maybe a few seconds. and most teens i know end up driving a lot so they arent really inexperienced

My friend does it when I'm in the car with him and it's really annoying. It distracts him a whole lot and I infact do call him stupid for doing it. All it takes is a few seconds of minimal distraction for you to rear end someone or hit a tree.

Yes, I believe it should be banned along with all communication devices, like CB radios.

banning cb's is not likely to since law enforcement and semi's use them all the time.

Which I disagree with, why should the use of radio communications be allowed when mobile phones are not (atleast in the UK). They both are as dangerous as each other.

Ok no more CB or cell phones. But now how do police and truck drivers talk to dispatch? I dont think that smoke signals would be practical

They would have to stop, or get someone else in the vehicle to speak. My point was that they are just as dangerous.

So now the cops (as slow as they are already) now have to stop to find out that someone is being robbed - that makes a whole lot of sense.

So now the cops (as slow as they are already) now have to stop to find out that someone is being robbed - that makes a whole lot of sense.

Usually (here at least), there are two people in a police car, so the person who is not driving can use the radio.

Usually (here at least), there are two people in a police car, so the person who is not driving can use the radio.

Dosen't work the same way here - usually we got one guy in the car and thats it. Sometimes there are two though. The more people that the information has to communicate through the more likely that there will be a mess up somewhere along the line slowing them down even further.

Yes phones in cars should be banned all together, i have seen people on phones while driving it's dangerous.

no i dont think they should... people will do it anyway.... so....

Edited by Justin_White

no i dont think they should... people will do it anyway.... so....

So because people will do it even if there's a law against it that means we shouldn't make a law?

Well, there are always going to be people who murder, so why not make murder legal? :lolsmack:

Anyway, I think it is thier choice, if you get hurt, it was your fault, as far as I can see it
What if they run over a person? What if they crash into another car? Is it those people's fault?

I think the person who was run over should pay for damages to the car; they really should have known it was coming.

I think the person who was run over should pay for damages to the car; they really should have known it was coming.

Your right, those blood stains are hard to get off my windshield.

Well in my state if your under 18 its illegal to have your cell phone out at all. But in other states...yes.

Edited by darkkllr

Well in my state if your under 18 its illegal to have your cell phone out at all. But in other states...yes.

What? That's ridiculous. Are kids supposed to use pay-phones only?

Edited by Evin290

Cell phone out while driving...

Cell phone out while driving...

OH! The "at all" bit confused me. :yay:

I think not just texting, but they should ban ALL phone usage while driving. I can't count the number of times I've seen people yaking on their phone while driving. Also, cell phone use while driving causes many accidents.

I agree with Ghostfoot. Parents need to be strict because some teens are strict. They will ignore the law and still text, and if they get pulled over, I hope themselves, and not their parents are going to pay that fine.

If this were illegal.

That'd be nice if it were illegal.

It'd also be nice if the law enforcement cared.

Wait, that may be too much to ask.

No it shoulnd't be

why

If you don't have the common sense of not tet messaging while driving

well....you get my point

Sounds like a good idea. Its not fun, I have done it before. I was in the center of the road on the interstate. LONG story...

Texting while driving is dangerous and deserves to be banned. People that really cant concentrate on more than one thing should be especially careful (good thing I can concentrate on more than one thing).