Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eye

Make Alcohol Illegal?

Now I'm not going to put a helluvalot of evidence in my post, because I want this to be a debate based on your opinion, and for ____ reasons.

I myself think this should be an illegal drug, because if used extensively, it:

Causes Cancer,

Causes Depression, < Don't tell me it doesn't, yes it bloody well does.

Can Destroy Families. < Yet again, don't tell me it doesn't. Alcoholics are hell to live with.

So yeah, I'd like to hear your opinions.

If it was made illegal, people would drink it more.

In the 20's. they made alcohol illegal, and people had hideouts where they drank it illegaly.

Also, people brought alcohol into the US and sold it to make a proifit. BAD.

So, no it shouldn't be made illegal because people would drink it more and more if it was made illegal.

Edited by GhostFoot

It's only the fault of the person drinking or smoking... they know the consequenses, yet... they still do it. It'll never be made illegal, nor will smoking. Someone who tries to do that will just get sued.

Alcohol and Nicotine are addictive though.. and it's not the easiest thing to just stop either of them.

Alcohol and Nicotine are addictive though.. and it's not the easiest thing to just stop either of them.

If smoking or alcohol were made illegal, people would drink it more. It would be made just like marijuana.

Edited by GhostFoot

It'd be alot harder to obtain than walking up to "The Beer Store" or LCBO or something like that.

I'm not saying people wouldn't work there way around it, but alot of Alcoholics are average citizens, who have an addiction. They most likely would NOT resort to illegally finding places to drink beer.

Also, You say people would drink it more, so in my mind I have people that DON'T drink beer, saying "Eh what the hell, it's illegal now, let's drink!" Which is basically a dumb thought to me, but I'm suspecting that I took your statement the wrong way, so please clarify.

Geda, I can't remember the medical term, but it's cancer of the esophagus.

Edited by Tun Ton Ten

I completely agree with your sentiments, but there are certain attributes of alcohol that would make criminalizing it nearly impossible:

-It is used in religious ceremonies like transubstantiation and kiddish

-It has culinary value.

-It has social value.

-Outlawing it has been problematic in the past. (remember Prohibition?

It's been done before and it failed miserably (prohibition). It's too easy to make alcoholic beverages all you need is barley (a type of flour), some malt flavoring, and a big glass container to put it in.

I myself don't care if it's legal or not. You should know before drinking, the diseases you can get

I do not think it should be illegal. Like Ghostfoot said, people like to break rules. So that would cause even more drinking. Also, If you drink a glass or two of beer, you won't get drunk. So with that, you can't get cancer by just one glass of beer or wine or anything alcoholic. It should not be illegal, but i do think you should think before you drink.

Wine is used as medicine in many countries. They have enough laws controlling alcohol abuse, but they don't enforce it. Take Lindsey Lohan, everybody knows that she is underage. But she got plaster every weekend and it was all over the news but no charges we're laid. But now she has all those drunk driving charges and has to go through rehab for cocaine.

In moderation, alcohol is fine. We can't make something illegal just because people are irresponsible.

I'm not saying people wouldn't work there way around it, but alot of Alcoholics are average citizens, who have an addiction. They most likely would NOT resort to illegally finding places to drink beer.

And how do you know this?

Also, You say people would drink it more, so in my mind I have people that DON'T drink beer, saying "Eh what the hell, it's illegal now, let's drink!" Which is basically a dumb thought to me, but I'm suspecting that I took your statement the wrong way, so please clarify.

Most alcoholics have what's called an 'addiction'. Meaning they would do whatever they can to get some alcoholic beverage. Now, if it was illegal...then they can buy alcohol illegally which would be breaking the law and drinking more.

They tried to make alcohol illegal in the 20's, but it failed horribly. So why try to recreate that?

Edited by GhostFoot

Monks in Germany kept people in the country alive solely on beer for a period of time, it can be counted as a food. Second you already saw what happened with prohibition.

I think it should be illegal, along with smoking and drugs and everything else America's screwed up.

I don't understand why it's that pleasurable. What flavor does alcohol have? Murky lake water? With a

pungent burning of the throat as well?

Oh yes, I will certainly spend hundreds on buying alcohol when I could go buy some nice books instead. Count me in!

-sike-

I don't see why people like to drink in the first place. It messes with your system. It slows down the ability of your brain

to control your body and your mind. What fun.....

I think it should be illegal, along with smoking and drugs and everything else America's screwed up.

I don't understand why it's that pleasurable. What flavor does alcohol have? Murky lake water? With a

Oh yes, I will certainly spend hundreds on buying alcohol when I could go buy some nice books instead. Count me in!

-sike-

I don't see why people like to drink in the first place. It messes with your system. It slows down the ability of your brain

Depends, ask my dad what American beer tastes like to him, he'll say water with bad flavoring. Really depends on where it came from, who made it and how.

Maybe there should be a license.

.. j/k.

As for the last guy on the first page, chill out. This is a place for debating. Not a place for you to flame and hate.

It was totally unnecessary.

Edited by cupcake

I do not think it should be illegal. Like Ghostfoot said, people like to break rules. So that would cause even more drinking. Also, If you drink a glass or two of beer, you won't get drunk. So with that, you can't get cancer by just one glass of beer or wine or anything alcoholic. It should not be illegal, but i do think you should think before you drink.

Alcohol doesn't cause cancer for one, the main reason is either drunk driving or liver failure. And some people can't handle a beer, it would make them drunk, but some people can handle 20 beers, and it won't do a thing.

-sike-

Some beers have a certain taste in it that bring out certain foods, making that meal much more enjoyable. If you ever see someone drinking a beer at a restaurant, a good one, it's not because(unless there at the bar)they want to get drunk.

-sike-

May I tell you that the world does NOT revolve around America.

In response to your next message, Oh? Learn.

Edited by Definition

Ok. I've never visited anywhere else so I don't really know what goes on in Europe or where ever.

In my paragraph that's where I'm talking about though.

Explain this "Social Value" of why alcohol should remain legal. Is it because it's used in parties? If that's true, then you could make the same argument for the legalization of illicit drugs.

I sort of mean that, but it's different. I don't mean because it's used at parties where people get trashed and end up passing out - I mean like, sophisticatedly, at parties where they serve sherry and the like. Alcohol has these kinds of cultural implications, and is not used as a drug in these cases, merely as a beverage. But that reason alone wouldn't be sufficient enough to convince me to keep it legal - that's why I've got the other few.

-sike-

Those all sound like great reasons as to why you, personally, would not drink. I feel much the same way and because of that I never drink alcohol. BUT - I believe strongly in people's freedom's and don't think the government should be allowed to stop what we put into our bodies or do to our bodies.

Saying that alcohol kills is sort of naive. Yes, it can kill you, but only if you drink enough. One or two beers at a party is not going to hurt you. If you drink a whole six pack and half a keg, yes something bad is going to happen. I can assure you. But should people who drink responsibly have their drinks taken away because some college kid is stupid enough to drink a whole keg and then go driving? No.