Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Neo Avatars

How To Map Dungeons

This Guide assumes that you have downloaded Screen Print & Capture 32 v3.5. The Dungeon used to explain is the Elemental Workshop Dungeon. If you are new to Dungeon Mapping then it is a good idea to map a small, simple Dungeon like this to make sure that you can map Dungeons.

How to take Screenshots

If you have configured the software correctly then all that you will have to do to take a screenshot is press the "Print Screen" button on your Keyboard. When you press Print Screen this will come up on your screen.

comesupwhenprintscreen7ii.png

Chose the option that is selected in the image above so that you can crop the image before saving. Click and drag the mouse to select the area to crop then right-click your mouse and select "Capture Selected Area" to save the image. If you aren't happy with the area that you have selected then just chose one of the other options. When you chose to save the image decide what folder you want to save it in, make sure the file format is PNG then press "Save". For another technique for taking the screenshots, look at this post. This is how you take any screenshot with this software but there are some things you need to check before taking images for a Dungeon Map.

When you take a picture of the mini-map then you need to make sure that as many lines as possible are straight and North is at the top. To get the lines straight the compass will look like this:

compass7ae.png

You will see that it is pointing slightly to the East (some people will have to have it pointing slightly to the West), but it is near enough impossible to get it straight and you will get the best results like this.

When you save the images if you call each of them "1", "2", "3", etc then it will save time.

Once you have taken screenshots of the whole of the dungeon then it is time to put them together. The best way to do this is in MS Paint.

Putting Images Together

When you open up Paint you will have a plain white canvas. To insert one of your images you must click on "Edit" then on "Paste From..."

pastefrom6lf.png

You will now have to find the folder with the saved images in and insert the images one by one onto the canvas. Line up the lines as far as possible. If you place an image in the wrong place then just press "Ctrl+Z" to undo what you just did. Use the Bucket and make the Background Black. Once all the pieces are in place you will have something like this.

mapunedited5ad.png

As you can probably tell this doesn't look very good so you need to do some edititing.

Editing

Editing out all the mistakes is probably the most crucial part of mapping a good Dungeon. Use the Color Picker to chose what color you are going to use to cover up the dots with then select the Brush with the medium sized round nib and click once on each of the dots. This should get rid of them but if it hasn't gone completly then just brush over the remaining part of the dot. If you have anything other than Black as a background eg. part of the background surrounding the mini-map, then you need to use the brush to cover it up. Once you have edited out all the splodges then you should have something like this.

mapsplodgedout6nn.png

As you can see there are still some parts of the dots visable. Select the Line tool and chose the very Pale Blue.

paleblue6vz.png

When you move your cursor around in the center of the cross that is your cursor you can see a slightly magnified version of 9 pixels of your map. When you click the center pixel will turn Pale Blue. Do this on all of the lines that are the wrong color then use the Color Picker to select any other colors that need editing and repeat with the other colors. You should now have something like this.

mapwhitelinessorted6sw.png

It's now time to sort out the lines that you don't want. These lines are where the lines are 2 or more pixels wide. No lines should be more than 1 pixel wide.

If you magnify the image 8 times then it is easier to spot mistakes especially on diagonals. With the two images below the one on the left needs editing into the one on the right. The one on the right is what diagonals should look like zoomed in.

baddiagonal1ps.pnggooddiagonal4vd.png

Use the Color Picker again to chose what color you want. As in the last step you will need the Line tool to cover up the extra lines. Keep on removing all excess lines until none are more than one pixel wide. You should now have something like this.

mapalllinessorted9yh.png

As you can see there are some parts that have appeared twice. To remove these use a combination of the Square Brush and Line tool along with the Color Picker to make it look as if it was perfect in the first place. You should now have something like this.

mapwithoutdots1sm.png

There is a limit on the width of the image. Maps cannot be wider than 615 px. You can find out how wide it is in two ways. The first way is that when you drag it the size of the image will show in the bottom corner of the screen. The first number needs to be 615.

dragwidth3jc.png

The other way is to slowly move your cursor to the right hand side of the canvas. When you are on the line or outside the canvas there will be no number in the bottom corner, but if your cursor is inside the canvas a location will be shown telling you where the cursor is. When you move it to the right hand side make sure you do it slowly since you will need to go 1 px from the edge then add 1 to find the width.

cursorwidth4fv.png

Finishing Touches

You have finished all the difficult parts now. All that is left to do is add all the Monsters, Spawns, NPC's and other such things that may appear in a Dungeon. You should also add a Compass and a note saying that you made it. This is one that I made.

compass7me.png

Use the brush to put on the Dots representing different things. With the monsters try to count how many there are in the Dungeon and where they spawn, but if that isn't possible then just guess where they appear and how many there are. Add a Key and there you go, you have mapped a Dungeon.

mapkeydone9bk.png

Edited by Neo Avatars

that's a really nice guide, but look on the entrance to the earth elementals

there are still intersecting lines there and I don't think they should be

that's a really nice guide, but look on the entrance to the earth elementals

there are still intersecting lines there and I don't think they should be

Nope, I checked that, but from whatever view you looked at it from they were still there.

They are left there because they exist.

Putting stuff together I find very easy. Its making myself face north thats hard. Any suggestions?

Putting stuff together I find very easy. Its making myself face north thats hard. Any suggestions?

Sometimes I use the Virtual Keyboard thing for really small camera angle adjustments.

I find it hard to orientate north. its tough to do in Rs.

I find it hard to orientate north. its tough to do in Rs.

OK, I've added another bit into the guide about that.

To get the lines straight the compass will look like this:

compass7ae.png

You will see that it is pointing slightly to the East, but it is near enough impossible to get it straight and you will get the best results like this.

Or it will be pointing slightly to the West. i tried for my rimmington mine map. ty. :P

You can bump old topics in submissions for a couple reasons.

1. It helps improve the guide.
  2. If we close it we might lose it.

But keep in mind you still can't do pointless bumps, all posts regarding bumps have been removed to make this less spammy.

To solve facing north, just log in...You always log in facing north

When I press "Print Screen" that window doesn't pop up :doubt:

When I press "Print Screen" that window doesn't pop up :doubt:

Well that wasn't really adding something to the topic :doubt:

You could have asked in the screenshot place...

Anyway, here's a link to take a screenshot

Anyway, good guide, and I KNEW I read somewhere how to map :doubt:

That's how I made my first dungeon mapping yay :doubt: And the compass thing, when you first get it right, just let it stay there, it isn't that hard. When you log on, isn't it automatically pointing north up?

When you log on, isn't it automatically pointing north up?

Yes, it's facing North, but the lines aren't always straight so it's best to make sure.

Wow very nice guide! I'm sure it will be very useful :ice:

I find if you find a wonky line when you 1st log in try and make the line straight and it should be acing directly north :)

I find if you find a wonky line when you 1st log in try and make the line straight and it should be acing directly north :s

The problem with that is that when you log in the colours are slightly different to when you log out, the same thing can occur with the scale, so part of the map will be one size, while the rest is another size.

Also, you don't log in facing exactly north, but your character faces south.

Sometimes the sizing goes wrong so if you open up Something like paint shop or Paint.net you can quickly past the imgs into there and minimize the little windows, this helps for dangerous dungeouns ssich as Brimhaven and the recent new ScreenPrint you can define your own area like this: NOTE: Keep the tics at the bottom on! although mine isnt

[1]

Select capture a Pre Defined Area then move the screen out of the way of the map and then click Define Area

2ibi6fl.png

[2]

Move the box out of the way and keep you mouse in the top right corner of the map then press space, do the same for the bottom left corner

2qjaud2.png

2mzlk5u.png

[3]

Paste it onto something liek Paint.net or photoshop/paintshop for the right sizing then copy paste to paint and you should get something like this

2wedppj.png

Edited by Evolution