Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest osiris

Forums = Private

Guest osiris

Well i notice many people take a look at the site but never join, like just now 110 members and 317 guests!

I think you should be forced to log in before you can view the board. Else people just look at the site. They never

join... :s

Your opinions? Sub Suggestions?

Why? And a lot of those guests are just web crawlers from search engines anyway.

Having a free and open board makes us more inviting to new members because it doesn't look like we have something to hide and stuff like that!!! :s

I don't exactly support. It has good intentions, getting people to join. The sad part is, the idea itself is a little sketchy and forced. You're forced to join even if you just want to look around and see what it's like at first. If you have to join then many lookers that later become members won't join. If you are a member and are forced to log in, then it is alright, I guess. Many people wouldn't be happy about it though. Good ambitions though.

~Ginger

I like the idea of an open board. I don't want the member numbers to falsely inflate to 300000 members with an active count 200. Just seems if you make everyone join to look at the site there would be alot of work eliminating active users on the backside.

Why does it matter that we have so many guests anyway? I like the open board, it makes us look a lot more friendlier and open.

Guest osiris

but to have more guests than members is kinda dissapointing realising half of them wont make there mark and join :\

but to have more guests than members is kinda dissapointing realising half of them wont make there mark and join :\

They wouldn't anyway seen as most of them aren't real people.

Most aren't even real people.

Guest osiris

dead dont spam :D he just said that///and i doubt that over 200 are bots :\

The board opened to all makes us more inviting, people get to see before actually joining. Plus there's like at least 5 new members a week.

Actually, there is about 5 new members a day, but only one of them each time actually ends up being a real member. :D Also, what if someone wants to give a link to a certain page for some reason or other? For example, I have given several links to the Roleplaying Guide, but I don't think people would want to go through ten minutes just to view one page.

dead dont spam :D he just said that///and i doubt that over 200 are bots :\

Sorry, I just noticed Stobbo's post.

Edited by -Dead-

dead dont spam :ice: he just said that///and i doubt that over 200 are bots :\

Also one person could be counted as multiple guests. :D

This wouldn't be good in my opinion. :glasses:

Many others lurk before signing up...what's wrong with them doing so?

Off-topic-ish: The current layout at least enables people who can't log in for some reason view some of the boards.

(such as hehe, when I get logged out and cba to relog back in :P )

Edited by Un0

Does it matter if those people don't join? I lurked for a while before joining, and I liked being able to do that.

About the bots, nothing wrong with them is there?

I see no reason to support.

Is it bothering you or something? So if those 100 guests join, but they don't end up being active that's just stupid. I never signed up when I first saw the forums. Maybe some people want to see the community and how it is like before they join. I hate how a lot of boards make you sign up before you can see anything, if they want a little help on something and such and sign up just for that, that is wasting their time.

I definitely disagree here.

Guests are completely welcome to view the board as they please. There's no reason to want people to sign up.

If they're not genuinely interested and won't be back anyway, they shouldn't have to sign up.

Make us seem private and less-inviting in order to obtain more members? I don't get your logic.

Guests can't post already, isn't that enough? I think it's perfectly fine that they can view a board to see if they like it or not. Like, if your in a store you can browse but you can't take without paying.

WHenver I go to a forum and it requires you to join I never join i just leave, so an open board is good :yay:

WHenver I go to a forum and it requires you to join I never join i just leave, so an open board is good :)

I'd agree with that too, if the forum hadn't been open like it is now, I would probably not be here now.

I'd rather see 500 members who joined the board and are active because they got to see what the forum was like before they registered, than 500 members who joined to see what the board was like, then left because it didn't suit their tastes.

I'd rather see 500 members who joined the board and are active because they got to see what the forum was like before they registered, than 500 members who joined to see what the board was like, then left because it didn't suit their tastes.

I have to go with Jnr J on this. However I do think we should close some of the boards to guests. But that's already the case, so I think it's perfect the way it is. :xd: