Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Neo Avatars

Farming Help Guide

The Jade Vine must be added asap, because i gives HUGE amounts of exp for no costs at all! :D I planted one, payed for it, (10 wildbloods hops) and it took around 15 hours to grow. (It becomes slightly larger then the vine you grew in the quest) I was prepered to count the exp, but i was only expecting a few thousend. But it gave well over 10k exp! I didn't get the exact exp though.

Then i left it to do homework, and when i came back it had turned wild! :D I fought it the same way as in the quest, and got 3k slayer exp. I looks like i could have Horiaco to remove it for me, but i wanted to slay it. :P When i'd killed it, i got another seed, which means that this can be repeated with no costs at all! Perfect for poor farmers like me. :P

I'll plant another one tomorrow, and get some more exact infomation. :)

1. Plant Fruit Tree in Catherby

2. Teleport to Ardougne

3. Take boat to Brimhaven -- You could just take charter from Catherby to Birmhaven :aware: 480 gp without charos ring

4. Plant Spirit Tree in Brimhaven

5. Plant Fruit Tree in Brimhaven

6. Plant Calquat Tree in Tai Bwo Wannai

7. Teleport to Ardougne

8. Head to Khazard Spirit Tree and take to Gnome Stronghold

9. Plant Fruit Tree in Gnome Stronghold

10. Plant Wood Tree in Gnome Stronghold

11. Take Spirit Tree back to Khazard

12. Plant Fruit Tree next to Tree Gnome Village

13. Teleport to Lumbridge

14. Plant Wood Tree in Lumbridge

15. Teleport to Varrock

16. Plant Wood Tree in Varrock

17. Teleport to Falador u can also go to house if your house is in Taverly

18. Plant Wood Tree in Taverly

19. Teleport to Falador You can teleport using Glory :(

20. Plant Wood Tree in Falador Park

21. Wait and repeat

Here are some corrections :( Other than that, great guide once again. Ill be looking for some improvements to make while i am farming :unsure:

Edited by Sayf

The one thing I would mention is, you can pick the white fruit for getting exp after the Garden of Tranquility quest. For a while, when I was manically chain farming, i'd run into the castle to pick every day, until I found that the white fruit didn't do much when you ate it, and the exp for picking after a while wasn't worth it for my level to make a stop there anymore. I still have 160 white fruit which I'm not sure what to do with.

They give a grand total of 12 experience each, and with 4 possibly grown at once, that makes 48 experience for a longish run round Varrock Castle to get to the Tree. Having completed Garden of Tranquility, you'll have at least level 29 Farming, so even there the tiny value of 48 experience really is just neglegable. Other than for the Achievement Diary, I don't see much reason for that tree. :s

You can only have 1 Nature amulet made at a time. Dropping the amulet will destroy it. There is no actual destroy option like on other important items and quest items.

I've updated that to hopefully make it clearer. :D

Also, your 'helpers' are mainly just called 'farmers'.

The people who look after your crops are called "Helpers", while players who train the Farming skill are called "Farmers".

The Jade Vine must be added asap, because i gives HUGE amounts of exp for no costs at all! :D I planted one, payed for it, (10 wildbloods hops) and it took around 15 hours to grow. (It becomes slightly larger then the vine you grew in the quest) I was prepered to count the exp, but i was only expecting a few thousend. But it gave well over 10k exp! I didn't get the exact exp though.

Then i left it to do homework, and when i came back it had turned wild! :xd: I fought it the same way as in the quest, and got 3k slayer exp. I looks like i could have Horiaco to remove it for me, but i wanted to slay it. :D When i'd killed it, i got another seed, which means that this can be repeated with no costs at all! Perfect for poor farmers like me. :/

I'll plant another one tomorrow, and get some more exact infomation. :)

If gives 1500 Farming xp for checking health. :D

It's certainly a nice thing to use to get some easy xp, and even lets Slayer be trained with minimal combat xp. :P

I've added a section to the Crops part about it, although need the Seed and payment pictures (payment being 10 Noted Wildblood Hops). A more specific growth time would also be helpful. :/

Here are some corrections :) Other than that, great guide once again. Ill be looking for some improvements to make while i am farming :P

Charter - it's quicker to Tele to Ardougne than run back down Catherby beach

House - Added

Glory - The nearest ones are Edgeville and Draynor Village. :lol:

Edited by Neo Avatars

Also, your 'helpers' are mainly just called 'farmers'.

The people who look after your crops are called "Helpers", while players who train the Farming skill are called "Farmers".

Actually they are "Gardeners".

I decided to go and have a proof read for the first post.

At level 20 Crafting you will have the ability to make Sapphire Necklaces. These can be enchanted using the Enchant Lvl-1 Jewelry Spell, requiring level 7 Magic, to create Games Necklaces. These Necklaces will let you Teleport to the Games Room, which is close to the Heroes' Guild so that you can charge Glory Amulets you use up easily.

Should be Spelled Jewellery, It is also spelled Jewellery In the Runescape Knowledge Base.

There are a couple more spellings of Jewellery in the guide, This is just one example.

When on Slayer assignments, you will reguarly be given tasks

Should be spelled regularly.

At this level you become able to Steal from Seed Stalls.

No need for capital "S"

----------------------------------------------------------

At the Mapped part of the guide with farming patchs perhaps it would help having Thumbnails to the maps for when you roll over a bigger image apears.

Examples

Edited by Ambo100

I grew a jade wine and no monster appeared :)

Check again tomorrow and it should be wanting to kill you. :)

You can change my name (roy___192837) in the 'special thanks to ...' to just plain roy.

Also the emerald thing was wrong

r1jsde.gif

[IMG=http://i21.tinypic.com/r1jsde.gif]

Edited by Roy

With 10 people working on Maples, over 750,000gp

it is not advised to let that in the coffers if you want to get max items in there. 10% is taken from coffers..this means the first day, they take 75k and second day, they only take 67,5k. this means less stuff. Id recommend having 1,5M Minimum. Youll have 8920 maples, a number of teaks i dont know :) wich means 89-95 nests. You can then sell the teaks, the maples, put in money again for another 10 days :/

Very cool guide Neo, and like I said before, it's fantastic. :o Great work!

-Accepted- :P

Finally. :o Gratz on getting it accepted, and to Sal: Have fun uploading it to the site. :P

Great guide as others here have already said - a few comments:

Harmony Island ( am I the only farmer that uses this? ) - Does actually have a farming leprechaun for handy supercompost storage, but no farmer to watch over the crops like all the other allotments, and no flower plot for protecting the allotment crop. For this reason I grow strawberries here, as they cant be protected with a flower like all the other allotment fruits and vegetables anyways - theres nothing to lose. One significant con is that the zombies ( lvl 50ish? ) are aggressive unless you are quite high combat level, its irritating being attacked when trying to withdraw farming equipment. Its also unique in that there is only 1 allotment plot here whereas all the others have 2 plots.

Why farm here? Do it on the way to/from tasks on Mos Le Harmless, slaying of Horrors, Trouble Brewing minigame, or rare tree woodcutting.

Berries and herbs - mention which of these are useful for making supercomposts.. not that whiteberries or nice herbs should ever be wasted in such an tragic way.. Jangerberries on the other hand are suited to this I find.

Lastly not not least - what should be farmed at what levels.. very very hard thing to analyze without lots of testing and statistic collecting.

Is it worth putting off farming precious mushroom spores and cactus seeds until you are few levels higher than the requirement to reduce the incidence of disease? Does disease incidence get less as your level exceeds the level requirement for the crop by significant amounts? How fast does this happen? At level 66 farming, farming a cabbage/limpwurt combo in the allotment patches gained me diseased cabbages maybe 30-35% of the time for those with a single watering at planting time. Less if a second watering is applied while I'm still at the allotment loading up the bins with pineapples when the next growth phase ticks over.. A couple of times I would reach an allotment to find BOTH plots of cabbages dead, grr.. I've now switched back to a permanent crop of rosemary as protection ( never picking it but leaving it as permanent protection ), the advantages of this being - not using any more limpwurt seeds(valuable and rare), and the lack of diseased cabbages makes the xp per allotment as good as ( or slightly better ) compared to getting diseased cabbages ( no exp ) sometimes, but also a crop of limpwurts to pick for each allotment. Compared to cabbages, Limps for me were diseased less often, maybe 10% of the time.

So there is definitely a 'best level' to try crops in combination.. especially if you want to abandon the disease protecting flower for limps or woad and the xp they bring. Higher levels probably make this more viable. After slogging through fields of diseased cabbages I wouldnt ever chance disease on tomato or higher - always use marigolds for them, and nasturtiums to keep precious watermelons happy and healthy.

With herbs, I find that growing the best herbs you can will yield less crops per seed and also higher chances of disease ( unless at Myarms ), so advantageous in using up your stocks of ranarr / toadflax / irit seeds before planting and growing avantoes, kwarm and snapdragons - even if you can plant them all.

Finally, with hops I find they get diseased far more often than any other crop.. even at > 60 farming I've given up trying to grow Krandorian or Wildblood ( both of which have much lower farming level requirements ) - the incidence of disease makes this a waste of time and an exercise in frustration. Even Yanillian get diseased distressingly often. Even in the lusciously fertile soil of the Yanille hops patch - not being able to grow Yanillian hops in Yanille, what a disgrace to the farming community!

Oh and with trees I always use farmer payments, the seeds are too rare and the check-health xp too nice to risk a disease. I've never tried growing trees without it however.. anyone know how often say an oak or apple will disease compared to other crops if its not protected?

As you can see, I think far too much about farming :santa:

I have now skimmed through your whole guide, and i found that one VITAL thing is missing. A GOOD guide for training farming. You do have one, but it's not very detalied. And with all the huge crops, patches, quests and getting-seeds sections this looks more like a farming database, or a skill guide. If you repeat some thing from earlier that doesn't matter, since this is such a huge guide.

Another thing is that the training step-by-step focuses too much on trees. Not all farmers want to spend 5k+ on tree seeds even at low lvs, and besides, allotments can be good exp at higher lvs as well. (Not to mention money if you add herbs) And if can do two allotment "runs" a day (About 2 hours each), the exp will match lower lv trees. And as i said, for poor farming lovers (like me) allotments are better. Make sure you add something more about that.

I also found some missing info:

If you don't want to kill it, you can get Horacio to dig it up for you.

Well, that noob doesn't do that for free. This is what he charges:

71zk3th.png

Looks like im gonna have to kill it anyway. :)

EDIT: I noticed you wanted grimy herb images. I while ago when i killed Salarin and normal chaos druids, i took images of the herbs in grimy form. :) Also got toadflax picture from a random a few days later, but im still missing snapdragon picture. I was originally going to add them to the iten database, but i never did. :P So here they are:

Guam Leaf:

852lx8i.gif

[IMG=http://i12.tinypic.com/852lx8i.gif]

Marrentill:

71d5nyg.gif

[IMG=http://i2.tinypic.com/71d5nyg.gif]

Tarromin:

6uoypls.gif

[IMG=http://i10.tinypic.com/6uoypls.gif]

Harralander:

8fwz6rt.gif

[IMG=http://i2.tinypic.com/8fwz6rt.gif]

Toadflax:

7xwyfsz.gif

[IMG=http://i19.tinypic.com/7xwyfsz.gif]

Ranarr Weed:

8ebl8og.gif

[IMG=http://i10.tinypic.com/8ebl8og.gif]

Irit Leaf:

80llroy.gif

[IMG=http://i13.tinypic.com/80llroy.gif]

Aventoe:

8368ygg.gif

[IMG=http://i1.tinypic.com/8368ygg.gif]

Kwuarm:

855tx4x.gif

[IMG=http://i3.tinypic.com/855tx4x.gif]

Snapdragon:

Missing. :)

Cadentine:

82de4ox.gif

[IMG=http://i17.tinypic.com/82de4ox.gif]

Lantadyme:

8abha2e.gif

[IMG=http://i2.tinypic.com/8abha2e.gif]

Dwarf weed:

8a2qjwi.gif

[IMG=http://i8.tinypic.com/8a2qjwi.gif]

Torstol:

6pzeza1.gif

[IMG=http://i10.tinypic.com/6pzeza1.gif]

Edited by Morty

For God's sake I can't clean Snapdragon. :/

Grimy Snapdragon

2j3h36e.gif

[IMG=http://i29.tinypic.com/2j3h36e.gif]

Grimy Spirit Weed

2vblbut.gif

[IMG=http://i25.tinypic.com/2vblbut.gif]

Crop: Spirit Weed

Level: 36

Seeds: 119xetg.gif

Type: Allotment - Herb

Payment: Cannot be protected by a Farmer

Yield: Grimy Spirit Weed 2vblbut.gif

Growth Time: 70 minutes

Experience: 32 (planting); 36 (per Herb harvested)

Pros: This herb is needed to make a Summoning Potion.

Cons: Herbs don't stack, so if you are visiting multiple Patches, you'll need to Bank between to free some inventory space. The seeds are an uncommon monster drop.

Why isn't this guide yet on the website? :)

EDIT:

Note to me: Oct 22nd
Wierdo :aware: Edited by iFree

Why isn't this guide yet on the website? :aware:

Because it's big and there are things that have been added since the last edits that I haven't got round to adding yet?

I'll hopefully get round to adding the new things that need to be added next week, and if I don't, feel free to fill up my Inbox until I do. :)

(I've added the Spirit Weed things in your post)

Note to me: Oct 22nd

Nice guide Neo

Much better than the one we have atm :aware:

You may want to link to a vinesweeper guide when we get one up.

Mining

At level 1 Mining you can mine Clay, which is used to make Teleportaion Tablets, so if you decide to make these yourself, you'll need to mine the Clay.

Teleportation

~iSmile

Type: Fruit Tree

Nearest Teleports: Ardougne/Teleport to House (with House in Brimhaven) [Modern Magics]; Fishing Guild Teleport [Lunar Magics/Necklace of Skills]; Karamja Teleport [Amulet of Glory]; Brimhaven Spirit Tree [requires 83 Farming]

Nearest Banks: Ardougne South; TzHaar

Helper: Garth Body; Face

Pros: Can be visited en-route to the Calquat Patch when travelling from the mainland.

Cons: Either requires you to Teleport to the island or pay 30gp for a Boat trip to get there.

You may want to mention the Shilo VIllage cart ride; it takes you decently close to a bank, but requires 20 gp.

Great guide Neo, iv recently started farming and looked for a guide on sals and didnt see it on the tip guide section :aware:

Only thing I noticed is that for the Merigolds when you say, No use other than to drop them, There actually used as part of Summoning for the Bull Ant

Great Job once again :)

Edited by Dom18

You may also want to add that after fully completing the Lumbridge/Draynor achievment Diary (which is relatively easy for almost anyone) you will receive an explorers ring (3) which can teleport you to a cabbage patch just north of port sarim. This is very close to the fallador alloctment, the belladonna patch in draynor manor, and a spirit tree patch. Although you can use a charged amulet of glory the ring has unlimited charges.

Very nice guide Neo, I learned a bit form it and I hope to see it on the site to. I was amazed at how comprehensive it was but then again farming is an amazing and comprehensive skill.

Neo, this is a great guide, but I just have a few small things to mention.

It seems like this guide is just a more.. comprehensive version of a Farming skill guide.

Aren't the Help Guides supposed to guide players on a suggested path to gain levels?

If so, you only dedicate a small section of your guide to some methods of leveling.

I think to improve this great guide even further, you can establish different chains for chain farming.

i.e., one for a low-leveled player that might not have access to a lot of teleports, one for the average player, one for the Farming expert.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.