33= 30+3

21x3=63

21x30=630

630+63=693

21x33=693 :ice:

If your teacher asks you what its called it's break down

Also you can skip some writing

Edited by Super Penguin Dude

ROFL, the answer's 693, but you probably just mixed the first and last numbers up. Oh and uhh, thanks, even though there are faster ways to solve problems like that since 33 has the same two digits, so you just need to separate it into 3 and 30 and then just add 63 and 630, even though they are basically the same thing.

Edited by Goat on Fire

I have a confession to make, I don't know my 9s times table. I use the finger trick. :ice:

I have a confession to make, I don't know my 9s times table. I use the finger trick. :P

I use a calculator. :ice:

I don't like break down. It's so much slower.

I have a confession to make, I don't know my 9s times table. I use the finger trick. :P

I use a calculator. :ice:

The way using your fingers is faster. Hold both hands palm facing up in front of your face and then count over 3 fingers starting from the left going to the right. Put that finger down and then count the amount of fingers the right side, and the left side. It represents 3*9=27

Edited by Bub 5000

That's the same thing you do in the old fashioned way. That was just takes more writing :P

Same, but I don't break it down quote that much :lol:

I multiply normally. :)

Edited by Mikey

Thats so much slower.

If anyone past like 4th grade tried to use that for every bit of multiplying they had to do they'd waste way too much time.

Ok, that was confusing, I just multiply normally :unsure:

you know, like:

-----

The answer :)

This reminds me of a "trick" my physics teacher taught us. Instead of simply telling us to move the decimal point when converting metrics, he decided to come up with an insanely complicated formula. :unsure:

This does not make things easier.

I have a confession to make, I don't know my 9s times table. I use the finger trick. :)

:madsing: i learned it this way: Take the number you're using, I'll use 5, and subtract one= 4. Subtract that from 9=5, then put that after the last answer= 45. I think that's easier than using the finger trick. :unsure:

I use the breakdown method for multiplying percents, like 15% of 30 or something like that.

9x tables are easy it just goes down a number every time, 9, 18 ,27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, 90 then it goes back up to 9 for 99, 108, 117