Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

The Jena Six

Recently in Jena, Louisiana, a black kid asked if he could hang out under a tree where some white kids hang out. When he did, the next day the white kids hung nooses from the tree, as a small joke. The white kids received three days of suspension instead of expulsion, and riots broke out. Six black kids beat up a white kid who claimed to not do anything racist to them. The white kid was severely injured, so they put the "Jena 6" in jail. Now a lot of people say it's racism against blacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_6

My opinions:

-These days, racism isn't a one sided thing from white people. It's just that, a lot of black kids feel different and they all hang out together, away from the white kids. At my school, around the end of the hall where my locker is, I see 30 black kids hanging out together in the hall every morning. Among people at my school, I don't see ANY racism from white people. Reverse discrimination has led to reverse segregation.

-I belive the Jena 6 got what they deserved. This is NOT racism. The white kids threatened a person, the Jena 6 severely injured a person. What's worse?

-I can't wait 'til Kanye West whines about this.

Personally I think that they all deserved the same punishment. I mean come on but its racism on both sides. Yes on 1 side one of the kids got hurt but wheres the proof it wasn't a provoked attack?

Personally in my school racism is a joke. No one ever really is racist in my school.

Well cept my English/literature teacher.

Edited by Raz

I was waiting for this to pop up.

And I must say, I agree with you Co-Z. They deserved what they got for ganging up against one person. :aware:

Although I think that the white people who did the nooses should have been expelled.

Yeah. 3 days suspension wasn't enough, but I doubt they'll do it again after being part of this huge controversy. I bet they'll be hated for the rest of their lives anyways.

Almost anything you say can be classed as racist

in my school in the UK, black and white people mix together, there is no racist discrimination like, at all

I agree with Mr Brownstone, but i don't get; whats the big deal about the nooses?

Some weren't even there and they got arrested and tried as adults.

I've seen conservatives far to the right saying that the Lasalle Parish was racism all around.

They tried to symbolize lynching. The kids who did this should have been expelled, it's provoked attack, very racist, and the school should have known the anger it would have caused. I find the actions taken by the school to be terrible, and trying the kids as adults is extremely racist. Doing that after just slapping the wrists of the white kids? Come on. ;)

but i don't get; whats the big deal about the nooses?

This is the big deal about nooses.

More specifically, this

Oh, i don't know much about that stuff since i'm from the UK, and i haven't studied it yet. (not sure if i even do)

The people who hung the nooses should have been expelled, but it doesn't give anyone the right to attack someone. At my school, we hae a zero tolerence on racism, bullying and violence. All are enforced except violence, which is very hard to do :P but thier is virtually no racism at all, which i'm quite proud of.

Edited by Cream

True, that's a racist threat. But I personalyl do not think racism should be illegal, considering that it's already legal for anyone to be racist against whites. If a KKK member kills a black guy for being black, he should be punished for murder. If a white kid hangs a noose, he should be punished for threatening. Racism won't end if we freak out about it. In fact, racism may not ever end. The only solution is to keep racism protected by your first amendment, unless it breaks a law.

Someone got gang beaten and now the people who beat him are getting punished. Of course this is racism.

Someone got gang beaten and now the people who beat him are getting punished. Of course this is racism.

No but the fact that the white people who made the threat got off with a 3 day suspension while the black one are being tried as adults seems kinda racist to me.

No but the fact that the white people who made the threat got off with a 3 day suspension while the black one are being tried as adults seems kinda racist to me.

Hanging a noose gets a smaller punishment than a gang beating. OMG RACIST!

I wonder who thought that one up (talking about noose thingy)? Is there a law against hanging nooses on a tree? If you look at the thought, it is, of course, very nasty. I dunno. Beating somebody very severely is definitely a crime. I know that much.

The whole race against race thing has always seemed sorta stupid to me. People are stupid.

Is there a law against hanging nooses on a tree?.

I would think so, since there's a law how many loops you can have on it before it becomes fatal. What if a kid was going down the street on his tricycle and ran into it.? :P

The whole race against race thing has always seemed sorta stupid to me. People are stupid.

:aware:

Not being racist, (Actually one of my best friends is a african american)

But there is no racism

They went to jail for a crime they commited, we all live in the same world,

We make jokes about our friends, not because of there color, but because we like making jokes about our friends, everyone does it

So with my worldview, never ever put the word racism in a case, (some conditions may apply)

assult is a crime,.

they are going to jail regardless,

but explosion is heavy for somthing like that

suspension is pretty harsh two,

i think it should be like detion for a few days

~awahso~

Guest Take This Post Seriously

Wait, wait, am I missing something? AGAIN? Aren't they 17, and legally required to be tried as adults? :wub:

The Caucasians should have gotten a one-week suspension, because it was a stupid and rude joke, that's it... And the African Americans should have had a month's suspension. They only kicked him...:wub:

~Take This Post To Court

The "Jena Six" deserved to be thrown in prison because what they did was wrong. The white kids who hung the nooses from the tree should've been perm. expelled.

Basically : The white kids got away with it

The black kids didn't. RING ANY BELLS???

The "Jena Six" deserved to be thrown in prison because what they did was wrong. The white kids who hung the nooses from the tree should've been perm. expelled.

Basically : The white kids got away with it

The black kids didn't. RING ANY BELLS???

The white kids didn't get away with it, they got what they deserved.

Basically: The white kids made a stupid joke, they got suspended.

The black kids gang beat someone and are being tried.

Seems pretty fair to me.

assult is a crime,.

~awahso~

two days!!!!!!!!! i once kicked a vendeng machene and got 3days iss (in school suspenson)

the white kids shold be expelled

but i hate to say this the most they would get wolud be harrasment if taken to court the black kids id say possably assault and battery

I usually stay out of these debates but I was just thinking about it. The question I have come up with is... If you tell (or show, being the noose) someone that you dont like them or want them around you. Does that person/people have the right to beat you? Just my thought.

ram

assult is a crime,.

~awahso~

two days!!!!!!!!! i once kicked a vendeng machene and got 3days iss (in school suspenson)

the white kids shold be expelled

but i hate to say this the most they would get wolud be harrasment if taken to court the black kids id say possably assault and battery

woa, 3 days suspension for kicking a vending machine! thats a bit extreme

I usually stay out of these debates but I was just thinking about it. The question I have come up with is... If you tell (or show, being the noose) someone that you dont like them or want them around you. Does that person/people have the right to beat you? Just my thought.

ram

IMO no one has the right to beat anyone, know matter what they do, hit for hit is a stupid idea, if thier getting beaten, then they should tell the law or someone.

IF that school had a behaviour policy, sort of like my school has, they would have been expelled or suspended for 2 weeks, maybe more

Edited by Cream