Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jellijelli

Female Circumcision

In all honesty I am very against female circumcision.

Male circumcision doesn't reduce the pleasure a man can feel during sex... female circumcision does(except perhaps for clitoridectomy). And well, that is unfair, especially if the girl was forced. :wub:

As a girl..well... I am appalled.

Wiki article on the types

Hey! Don't underestimate 13-year-olds' intelligence.
Fact is, a 13 year old female is still a girl. Even if she is emotional mature. :wub: She is still terribly young.

If the clitoris was the only sexualy sensitive spot for females, people would be having sex in very different ways. Ever heard of the G Spot?

True, the clitoris is an easier spot to stimulate then the G spot however.

Edited by Un0

They chose your religion as athiesm at all? Horrible! I can understand and empathize with Christian parents who do it, even though I don't fully agree, but athiests? There's not even an tangible benefit to athiesm! It seems like they're fanatics who're proud of their "wisdom" and lack of ignorance.

I'm sorry if I got a little worked up; it's just frustrating.

If you were an Atheist, why would you raise your children to be Christian...? :wub: I don't see why you're so against it, Emanick... What's the big deal?

They chose your religion as athiesm at all? Horrible! I can understand and empathize with Christian parents who do it, even though I don't fully agree, but athiests? There's not even an tangible benefit to athiesm! It seems like they're fanatics who're proud of their "wisdom" and lack of ignorance.

If you were an Atheist, why would you raise your children to be Christian...? :wub: I don't see why you're so against it, Emanick... What's the big deal?

It has been argued that children raised to be of one religion find it hard to change to another.

IE: the often used argument "You were raised Christian so you have been brain-washed into it". I think he wants to offer his children a "true" choice.

Excuse me? Do you tell pregnant women that they should get their tubes tied? Do you tell random girls at school that they should be wearing a chastity belt sometime in the near future? I'd think anyone'd be able to see the line between making a joke and being outright offensive, especially when something's crossed so far into the latter category. And somehow, if I said the same thing to you, it would be looked upon strangely, as if I was someone who regurlarly lights men on fire in the sake of feminism. What makes it okay that people can make sexist and offensive comments? For all anyone knows, I'm a guy. But just because I say I'm a girl on an internet forum where it's 80%? guys, I get tons of stuff said about me (no matter how jokingly). I'm not even going to repeat it. Where do people stop? Even some of my friends sometimes don't know when to stop. But when I finally end up blowing up at whoever is the straw that breaks the camel's back, I end up feeling guilty like I should have to take things like this. And I know that after I post this there's a 50% chance I'm going to ask everyone on novus if they thought I went too far. Why can't people just not treat me as if I'm different because I'm a girl? Why do they have to act as if they'd never seen one before?

:wub: I meant that as a joke. Sorry if I offended you.

As most people in this topic have mentioned already, I believe girls should be given the choice whether or not to be circumcised. Not only does circumcision against their will have potentially hazardous side effects but can also emotionally scar the girl in question.

--Mechanix :wub:

Edited by Mechanix

It has been argued that children raised to be of one religion find it hard to change to another.

Not really. I was raised Jewish and it didn't take much to make me stop believing in Judaism. :wub:

IE: the often used argument "You were raised Christian so you have been brain-washed into it". I think he wants to offer his children a "true" choice.

Is that what he's saying? It seemed like he was saying it was fine to raise your child Christian, but if you raised your child Atheist that's wrong...? :wub:

lol lofl rofl no no no i was an methodest till the age of 13 whean i decided to think for myself

i became agnostic then ATHIEST and hey dont insult my people (lol i dont have people)

Guest Take This Post Seriously

If you were an Atheist, why would you raise your children to be Christian...? :) I don't see why you're so against it, Emanick... What's the big deal?

Sorry, I was confused. :) I thought he said his parents chose that he would be an athiest until he was 13...Never mind. :queen:

And yeah, I'm against female circumcision too. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. :lol:

If you were an Atheist, why would you raise your children to be Christian...? :) I don't see why you're so against it, Emanick... What's the big deal?

Sorry, I was confused. :) I thought he said his parents chose that he would be an athiest until he was 13...Never mind. :queen:

And yeah, I'm against female circumcision too. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. :lol:

ok got ya you kinda got me angry thare for a minute

but i was rased as a cristan untill i started to think for my self i think Female Circumcision is a plot to make a race of libraian tipe wemon

although male circumcision is beneficial female circumcision isnt so why do they have it?

For a man for whom a virgin wife was promised, it can be ensured.

although male circumcision is beneficial female circumcision isnt so why do they have it?

So what you're saying is that women without clitorises can have all the sex they want and still be virgins? :mellow:

So what you're saying is that women without clitorises can have all the sex they want and still be virgins? :mellow:

No, what it is is that with the most extreme form of female 'circumcision' (btw, the accepted term by the WHO is 'female genital mutilation'), the girl literally cannot have sex unless additional cuts are performed to open up the area. These cuts are supposed to be performed by the husband on the wedding night. If he gets married and it's already been done, then she isn't a virgin. THAT'S what it means. It's a disgusting and mutilating practice and it should be outlawed NOW.

So what you're saying is that women without clitorises can have all the sex they want and still be virgins? :wub:

No, what it is is that with the most extreme form of female 'circumcision' (btw, the accepted term by the WHO is 'female genital mutilation'), the girl literally cannot have sex unless additional cuts are performed to open up the area. These cuts are supposed to be performed by the husband on the wedding night. If he gets married and it's already been done, then she isn't a virgin. THAT'S what it means. It's a disgusting and mutilating practice and it should be outlawed NOW.

Yes, that's what I meant. Obviously, if you don't have a clitoris, you won't be a virgin despite how much sex you have.

Edited by Evin290

Can you reword it?

What I had said previously was misconstrued as saying "if you don't have a clitoris, you're still a virgin even after you've had sex". It's pretty clear that that's not what I was trying to say.

If a women wants to do this and fully knows of any consequences thay may accur and is still willing to, the she can do it as long as she finds a liscensed doctor that knows how to do the procdures. I believe this should be done of one's own free will rather than an act of force.

If a girl does not know what's going to happen or what she is up for and her family makes her, then that's different. She should be aware of it before doing it. But if a family or somebody else forces her, then that's wrong.

Lads, may I recommend to you that you don't go off debating the fairer sex's body? And ladies, I hope you can see though the immaturity of most of the male population on this forum.

So here's my point...

As a male, I never had a choice to be circumcised. I never had the experience of being uncircumcised, and I don't remember the pain that circumcision caused to me. I, like most male infants in the USA, was circumcised in the hospital. I would like to say that it's probably quite painful for a girl or a woman to be circumcised--I have never had the experience of being a female and having, as a female, a circumcision. Not only that, but I've never so much as recognized a lady who has been circumcised.

For traditions, some things for families is important. I'm rather conservative in my views of society, so I would consider the fact that the tradition exists as a possible reason for following it. Still, question the tradition on its true value--on its true reason. Looking at the tradition of female circumcision as an outsider, I would say better parenting is more-useful then female circumcision.

For traditions, some things for families is important. I'm rather conservative in my views of society, so I would consider the fact that the tradition exists as a possible reason for following it. Still, question the tradition on its true value--on its true reason. Looking at the tradition of female circumcision as an outsider, I would say better parenting is more-useful then female circumcision.

But doing tradition for the sake of doing tradition doesn't move us forward. I think it's good to question tradition when it is bad tradition, and good to follow tradition when it's good tradition - and it's up to us, individually, to decide which traditions are good and bad (except in cases like this, where tradition is so damaging, when it's the government's jθb to step it.) If you circumcise your [male] child just because it's tradition, that's not a good enough reason, in my opinion. Of course, there are good explanations as to why male circumcision is reasonable, whereas I can't imagine a good argument for female ones.

Edited by Evin290

I'm pretty sure not, isn't that just a TV show? And I agree with Bob-Sama. There are a lot of immature people on these forums, who like calling noobs, or going ewww or whatever whenever they see or hear something like this. They stereotype and rely on guessing from their experiences from TV shows.

If the women are up for it, and know the risks and repercussions, then they shouldn't be stopped.

But if the family is forcing them to do it, without telling the girl anything about it...

Adding onto that, the licensed doctor doing the procedure should be fully qualified so that no one dies because of it.

People die in the hospital where we have licensed doctors with 8 years of schooling doing procedures. Just because you're licensed dosen't mean that you're going to be perfect.

Well whats the difference between that and what happens in judaism.

Male circumcision isn't detrimental to health. (In fact, it's beneficial in a few ways.) When a female-circumcised woman has sex for the first time, all the scar tissue that developed is ripped apart. And that's far more painful than a simple hymen-tearing. Not to mention the severe possibility of fatal infection accompanying female circumcision.

There's a chance of fatal infection in any surgery.

If the women are up for it, and know the risks and repercussions, then they shouldn't be stopped.

Women? These are 7-13 year old girls. That's precisely why this has become controversial: circumcision is rarely about an adult making an informed, personal choice, but rather the family imposing its religious/cultural tradition upon a child.

I think the practice is atrocious and am appalled whenever I read stories like this.

Male circumcision isn't detrimental to health. (In fact, it's beneficial in a few ways.)

Frankly, I don't support male circumcision either. The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated that it's not medically necessary. Furthermore, the medical benefits are pretty insignificant. And as I mentioned before, many infants are circumcised not because their parents have given serious thought to the matter, weighing the pros and cons, but rather because it represents "tradition."

-Common Sense

Yes, and your parents teaching you their religion is also tradition. I can almost guarantee you that if your parents did not force you to go to church, that you would never have thought of going in the first place. Of course you will say you would have because that's how you were raised, but in reality, you more than likely would not have given a sceond thought to not going to church.

If it's their tradition, then I support it. As somebody or the article said, 96% of women in Egypt are circumcised. This is 1 report on one person dieing because of it. I think that people in the media make too big of a deal over such a small thing. Although the death of the young lady is tragic, it's one in a whole lot of chance that it happens.

True, though this is sort of different in a way you know. Though if anybody can provide some good solid proof or anything, then I'll be sort of shocked :)

People die in the hospital where we have licensed doctors with 8 years of schooling doing procedures. Just because you're licensed dosen't mean that you're going to be perfect.

Yes, but the chances of that happening, in comparison to unlicensed doctors in incomparable.

There's a chance of fatal infection in any surgery.

Same as above

Okay, then outlaw doctors doing it who aren't licensed. Don't outlaw the practice all together.

A 2005 official survey showed that 96 per cent of women in the country have undergone the procedure.
Edited by Headshot212

Remember that complete reattachment is rare. Also, it's not ideal to cut off the tip of your finger to put it inside your underwear.

Anyways--remember some of the other traditions we follow... Christmas (whats the point? To be nice? Remember that presents cost money and, unless you're a child, you almost never get presents that exceed the value of those that you gave), Easter (why go to church? Is religion unimportant because it's something we've practiced for thousands of years?), Labor Day (why not go to work? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to simply work that day and make your normal daily wage?), Halloween (why risk the chance that you're allergic to the candy you get or risk the lawsuit that follows? How do you know someone isn't angry with the world and put razor blades into your favorite chocolate bar?), and about every other holiday? They all come with risk--and the fact that they're celebrated on a certain day of the year is tradition.

I'm playing a bit of Devil's Advocate--I think the fact that tradition exists could be a reason to follow the tradition. Remember that even with celebrating thousands of different traditions, we have still made more leaps and bounds in the last 200 years then we have in the 1800 years preceding it.

Anyways--remember some of the other traditions we follow... Christmas (whats the point? To be nice? Remember that presents cost money and, unless you're a child, you almost never get presents that exceed the value of those that you gave),

I am not a Christian; I do not celebrate Christmas. For Christians, it is to celebrate Christ's birth.

Easter (why go to church? Is religion unimportant because it's something we've practiced for thousands of years?),

I am not a Christian; I do not celebrate Easter. For Christians, it is to celebrate Christ's resurrection.

Labor Day (why not go to work? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to simply work that day and make your normal daily wage?),

No. It ensures that everybθdy gets a vacation.

Halloween (why risk the chance that you're allergic to the candy you get or risk the lawsuit that follows? How do you know someone isn't angry with the world and put razor blades into your favorite chocolate bar?),

It's fun. I'm willing to take such a tiny risk in order to have fun.

and about every other holiday?

If you're celebrating a holiday, there ought to be a better reason than "jus cos its tradition"

Edited by Evin290

Why can't people just not treat me as if I'm different because I'm a girl? Why do they have to act as if they'd never seen one before?

Because they can't control their raging hormournes and have to be an insult to my gender all day long. :sighs:

As for this female circumcision, I am agaist it. To be honest, I don't know too much about the subject, but cutting the clitoris, one of the pleasure nerves in sex. That's inhumane. That would be like someone going to my genitals and servering the nerves. :cute: It's just insulting.

And it's a disgusting tradition at that. The poor girls are only 13, they are just hitting puberty and learning about themselves. And then they have to go to a doctor, expose themselves, and then have a very sensative part of them cut off. I am repulsed. Geez at least when they circumcise males, we are too young to remember it, but at 13... geez that must be horrible. When I was 13 and I was developing (in the male ways, I am not a woman :glasses: ) I was very self-consciouss and embrasshed of the drastic changes. I was bad, I was afriad to undress in the locker room, afriad of the rate I was growing (I had really fast spurs of size and strength.) and I had to start shaving at the age of 13 weekly. (Now it's every morning T_T )

To force a young girl to do that, that's demeaning. :P