Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Adams

Black History Month

Ok, should we or should we not have "Black-History-Month"? Why, or why not?

Is it is racist? Why, or why not?

As always, I will post my opinion (like I don't ever :o) about this subject, after another (/others) post :s!!!!

~John

I believe that black history month is nice because it allows Americans to look at thier contry's past mistakes. (Sorry, but my posting abilities are being confescated for further investigation...)

I find it pretty unfair. If I started a white history month I'd be grouped in with the kkk.

I think it's racist, along with a lot of other organizations, such as the United Negro College Fund. If I even said the word "negro," I'd probably get punched in the face... same thing with the NAACP. If I said "colored person"... that's a punch to the face...

you see here is thing

the IDEA of black history month is good,

however,

i dont like when the schools preach all this bull about how ALL blacks were abused, tourtured, and that every white hated blacks.

now here is the thing

me and my freinds made "white history month"

we had shirts that said "happy white history month" and we had matching outfits

ALL OF US WERE SUSPENDED

it was crazy,

i think everyone should, or no one should

and on the "negro collage fund"

i dont mind

but i think there should be a "white collage fund" or "caucasian collage fund"

Until we have a month for ever race, I feel that this is not needed. Can't we just learn about important people, regardless of their race, throughout the year? It's almost alienating them.

I think it is unfair people think that during the Civil War that all the black were being mistreated and that all whites had slaves that worked all day on farms and got 1/2 of a meal... this is bull most of them lived happy lifes and enjoyed doing what they did.

And I agree that until that have a month for every race they shouldnt have one for just one.

Why should we learn about people's accomplishments simply because of their skin? It's pretty stupid because all it does it constantly bring back the entire "black slaves white masters" crap when the world needs to become more united instead of being broken up into racial and religious groups.

Isn't this month Hispanic Heritage Month?

Anyways I think so, to celeberate all the famous blacks.

people are retarded, why do i say this

2 reasons

1 week ago,

i said that all races were enslaved at one time or another,

several people tried to say that whites were never enslaved,

LOL LOOK AT THE ROMAN AND ENGLISH EMPIRE!

this girl said that the black slavery thing was WORSE then the holocaust

I ALMOST SLAPPED HER

the holocaust was much worse,

i talked about the gas chambers and the death work/trench work they did

her response:

"but you white-boys never had to sit in the back of the bus, or pick cotton"

first off,

we are talking about Jews

second,

so many jews in the camps would RATHER do all that then the camps

but i think we should have a month for all races or no races

2 reasons

1 week ago,

I ALMOST SLAPPED HER

her response:

first off,

second,

Slavery was worse than the Holocaust? Sitting in the back of the bus compared to DEATH CAMPS? Once again, I am amazed by the utter stupidity and ignorance of some people. You probably should have slapped her. Other people would have understood.

And, like you said, every race has been enslaved at some point or another. It's not a uniquely black condition (and don't forget, it's not like it was all whites against all blacks even then - plenty of African tribes captured/abducted members of other tribes and sold them to the Europeans, and there were a lot of similarities between slavery and indentured servants, who were primarily white).

Ok, should we or should we not have "Black-History-Month"? Why, or why not?

Is it is racist? Why, or why not?

As always, I will post my opinion (like I don't ever :wub:) about this subject, after another (/others) post :P!!!!

~John

i dont think we should but im not raceist hell in half black

I believe that black history month is nice because it allows Americans to look at thier contry's past mistakes. (Sorry, but my posting abilities are being confescated for further investigation...)

its still not right all ppl have been enslaved one time or another so why shold blacks have a specal month

I find it pretty unfair. If I started a white history month I'd be grouped in with the kkk.

good point

Until we have a month for ever race, I feel that this is not needed. Can't we just learn about important people, regardless of their race, throughout the year? It's almost alienating them.

yes i have felt that way

I think it is unfair people think that during the Civil War that all the black were being mistreated and that all whites had slaves that worked all day on farms and got 1/2 of a meal... this is bull most of them lived happy lifes and enjoyed doing what they did.

And I agree that until that have a month for every race they shouldnt have one for just one.

as stated above yes

Why should we learn about people's accomplishments simply because of their skin? It's pretty stupid because all it does it constantly bring back the entire "black slaves white masters" crap when the world needs to become more united instead of being broken up into racial and religious groups.

amen to that

Isn't this month Hispanic Heritage Month?

Anyways I think so, to celeberate all the famous blacks.

ok but unless they add a month for other races thate should be none

2 reasons

1 week ago,

I ALMOST SLAPPED HER

her response:

first off,

second,

Slavery was worse than the Holocaust? Sitting in the back of the bus compared to DEATH CAMPS? Once again, I am amazed by the utter stupidity and ignorance of some people. You probably should have slapped her. Other people would have understood.

And, like you said, every race has been enslaved at some point or another. It's not a uniquely black condition (and don't forget, it's not like it was all whites against all blacks even then - plenty of African tribes captured/abducted members of other tribes and sold them to the Europeans, and there were a lot of similarities between slavery and indentured servants, who were primarily white).

ya i probley should have,

people are just stupid now adays

2 reasons

1 week ago,

I ALMOST SLAPPED HER

her response:

first off,

second,

ya i probley should have,

people are just stupid now adays

It's not just a nowadays thing. People have always been like this, just now they're better educated and have a couple fewer excuses.

Guest Take This Post Seriously
Why is it only for black history month. There should be just a history month. OR one for EVERY race.

So it's pointless.

Why stop there?

We could have a Black History Month, a White History Month, Orange History Month, Blue History Month, Green History Month, Purple History Month, Pink History Month, Brown History Month, Yellow History Month, Red History Month, Black Social Studies Month, White Social Studies Month, Orange Social Studies Month, Blue Social Studies Month, Green Social Studies Month, Purple Social Studies Month, Pink Social Studies Month, Brown Social Studies Month, Yellow Social Studies Month, Red Social Studies Month, Black Math Month, White Math Month, Orange Math Month, Blue Math Month, Green Math Month, Purple Math Month, Pink Math Month, Brown Math Month, Yellow Math Month, Red Math Month, Black Language Arts Month, White Language Arts Month, Orange Language Arts Month, Blue Language Arts Month, Green Language Arts Month, Purple Language Arts Month, Pink Language Arts Month, Brown Language Arts Month, Yellow Language Arts Month, Red Language Arts Month, Black Science/Physics Month, White Science/Physics Month, Orange Science/Physics Month, Blue Science/Physics Month, Green Science/Physics Month, Purple Science/Physics Month, Pink Science/Physics Month, Brown Science/Physics Month, Yellow Science/Physics Month, Red Science/Physics Month, Black Phys. Ed. Month, White Phys. Ed. Month, Orange Phys. Ed. Month, Blue Phys. Ed. Month, Green Phys. Ed. Month, Purple Phys. Ed. Month, Pink Phys. Ed. Month, Brown Phys. Ed. Month, Yellow Phys. Ed. Month, Red Phys. Ed. Month, Black Arts Month, White Arts Month, Orange Arts Month, Blue Arts Month, Green Arts Month, Purple Arts Month, Pink Arts Month, Brown Arts Month, Yellow Arts Month, and the Red Arts Month.

Please don't be offended because I didn't take this post seriously. :holiday:

Edited by Take This Post Seriously

2 reasons

1 week ago,

This is quite true. In fact, the word "slave" comes from "Slavic", the people who were enslaved by the Turkish. I am Slavic, and I am pretty pissed when blacks act like they had it bad. There were actually very little black slave owners who beat their slaves as severly as you hear. They also got a house and food. Granted it was morally and socially wrong, but its not worth all this fuss.

I ALMOST SLAPPED HER

her response:

first off,

second,

Hitler kills 6 million Jews, as well as large groups of homosexuals and gypsies, as well as those who got in his way, and this girl is complaining about segregation and cotton-picking? My great-aunt (who does not fall in any of the afore mentioned groups) said that when Hitler's soldiers went through her town, they left the stench of dead bodies, of all those persecuted left to rot in piles. Now that is a lot worse.

All these ethnic months are really getting to me. I think we should have a Heritage Month, where in each school, kids are required to teach the rest of their class about their ancestry and about famous people of their ancestry. Sufferings? Leave them out. It would lead to dislike of those who brought the sufferings, which would defeat the purpose of learning about other's cultures.

Black History Month, i think it represents were western culture abandoned "savage slavary", theres nothing wrong with remeber the past every now and again. I have no idea why people make such a big deal out of it though. One thing i cannoy stand is people who go on about it, saying how our ancestors this etc etc, its kinda tiring to hear.

Are you kidding me? You mean that you would be happy even if you knew that your master could do anything he wanted with, ranging from selling you away from your family, to beating and torturing you, or even abusing you sexually? The fact that you can say something like that, apparently sincerely, is the best reason I can see to continue Black History Month.

Are you joking? Slaves in the roman empire could come from anywhere, the romans didn't specifically target "whites". As for the British, if you are talking about their colonial empire, they never used white slaves, and abolished slavery far before the US. Whites have been enslaved, but they have never been specifically used as slaves by another culture, just because they are white. Also, the scale of any white slavery isn't even comparable with blacks.

Except that indentured servants were freed after a period of service :P ...

This is quite true. In fact, the word "slave" comes from "Slavic", the people who were enslaved by the Turkish. I am Slavic, and I am pretty pissed when blacks act like they had it bad. There were actually very little black slave owners who beat their slaves as severly as you hear. They also got a house and food. Granted it was morally and socially wrong, but its not worth all this fuss.

You're pissed that they used "your" word to describe their condition? :) I'm sorry, but how can you acknowledge that something is socially and morally wrong, and happening to millions of people, but not be worth remembering?

Something that someone I know brought up:

White history month? Pfft... Every history class has its focus on Whites.

Does it... i think we get a general idea about it but nothing on heritage or any of that.

But by saying "races" you imply that they were enslaved because they were white, which wasn't the case.

You're pissed that they used "your" word to describe their condition? ^_^ I'm sorry, but how can you acknowledge that something is socially and morally wrong, and happening to millions of people, but not be worth remembering?

Why do we have to study a specific set of slavery? Why not learn about slavery itself? So far in 9 years of history we have spent a day learning the history of slavery, but a lot of time about Africans being enslaved for Americans. If one is to understand the cruelty of slavery, the shouldn't just study one example, that is not even the best. There is still slavery in the world, and instead of learning about how the Africans were enslaved, how about we try to stop modern slavery?

My point was there are many cultures that have suffered more then the African-Americans, but we only learn about them, and if we suggest about learning about other cultures suffering (the exception being the Holocaust) we are called racist.

The Russians (who are Slavic) had the most dead after WWII, and one of the highest, if not the highest number of deaths after WWI. The Ukranians (also Slavic) experienced an attempt of genocide, resulting in 10 million deaths. Now why isn't this as well known as the Holocaust? During WWII, Hitler's great plan was to destroy Britain, kill all the Jews, homosexuals, and gypsies, and then enslave the Slavic people. He occupied Poland, which is also Slavic. And when the Slavs were enslaved by the Turks, they were forced to march to Turkey.

This is pretty bad. Do I get into schools or colleges with little effort? No. Do I get to slander people with the word "racist" when they make jokes, attack, or make true statements about my heritage? No.

Everyone's culture has seen its share of suffering. So why do we only learn about the African American's?

They had a special episode of Family Guy during Black History Month; I think it was last year. It was about how George Washington Carver didn't really invent peanut butter and how it was conspericy theory planned by the government. The writers edited wikipedia and gave a refernece to it during the show. Well, I got on the Internet and looked at it as well as some other webpages and it turns out African Americans are credited towards inventing things they never invented. Carver invented 300 uses for peanuts, but not peanut butter. Some guy from Canada invented the peanut butter we use today and mashing peanuts was done by the Aztecs in 950 B.C, not a Black person. I'm fine with Black History Month. I just don't like all the lies, and this is only one example.

Edited by Bub 5000