Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ttttttttt

Guitar Vs. Bass.

We were having this debate on another forum and I thought it would be interesting to have here.

Which is better, guitar or bass? By better I mean, which sounds better, which takes more skill to play, really anything you want.

Um...I think they're both very important in a band. Anyone who says that bass does nothing and it can't be heard is very mistaken. I also think that you can't even separate them like this. They both are different in their own way and played differently and are two different things. This isn't like saying "coke or pepsi".

Edited by Twist of Fate

Bass is easier to play IMO.

Guitar is harder to learn IMO.

They are both VERY important to a band, so I can't really choose which one is better :)

They are two complete instruments, making it very hard to select the best of the two.

In my experience, bass was easy though painful to learn, seeing I started slap bassing pretty early which rapes your thumb. :) I like the sound of a guitar more generally, and there's more advanced techniques to learn, which I find more difficult than advanced bass techniques.

To me I think guitar sounds better. Also if I am not mistaken I think that bass is easier to play. I hardly notice bass at all, in many songs, but I know that it is very important. Overall-Guitar

~~Sirsamuel24 :)

Bass is easier to play IMO.

Guitar is harder to learn IMO.

They are both VERY important to a band, so I can't really choose which one is better :)

Both are true, but why does one have to be better? The bass provides the booming lower sound a guitar can't provide, and guitars usually lead or keep rhythm throughout a song.

Edited by 6655321

To me I think guitar sounds better. Also if I am not mistaken I think that bass is easier to play. I hardly notice bass at all, in many songs, but I know that it is very important. Overall-Guitar

That would depend on the bassist. A crappy bassist won't be heard because they just play whatever the guitar player plays. But someone like John Entwistle is definatly going to be heard.

That would depend on the bassist. A crappy bassist won't be heard because they just play whatever the guitar player plays. But someone like John Entwistle is definatly going to be heard.

I usually write my bass tracks to support the rhythm guitar, almost always leading into playing the same notes as the rhythm guitar plays. The bass does what its name stands for, the bass of a song. Ofcourse, there's drums, but the bass guitar is more constant.

I usually write my bass tracks to support the rhythm guitar, almost always leading into playing the same notes as the rhythm guitar plays. The bass does what its name stands for, the bass of a song. Ofcourse, there's drums, but the bass guitar is more constant.

It's not a bass guitar. It's a bass :o. And you really shouldn't just write the bass line to the guitar line.

I wish bassists would write stuff like this now adays.

Everyone seems to play the same notes as the guitar player without a smooth walk or bass solo in sight. It's sad.

Edited by ttttttttt

I generally would prefer a bassline to a guitarline. And bass isn't easier to play, there's so much to make it sound good.

Situational:

In jazz, bass/stand-up bass, in My opinion, is more important (You can't have a song without rhythm, otherwise it's just noise. Bass and drums form the foundation of virtually every jazz song) than guitar, but guitar is more versatile. I've heard it played as both a rhythm instrument and as a front row melody-maker, making it a double-duty instrument.

In rock, in My experience, the guitarist (lead singer as well) is the guy that gets all the glory and the groupies, while the bassist is a "necessary evil" that just gets shoved in the back and made to ape the guitarist, with an occasional solo/groupie thrown in to keep Him from getting bored and quitting the band. The only exception to this I can think of at the moment would be Primus, but other than that, pretty much any band where the bassist also does vocals (forcing listeners/groupies to watch Him play bass, like Peter Steele, Geddy Lee, etc.) can put bass on equal footing with guitar.

~~Sirsamuel24 :P

It's not a bass guitar. It's a bass :mad:. And you really shouldn't just write the bass line to the guitar line.

I wish bassists would write stuff like this now adays.

Everyone seems to play the same notes as the guitar player without a smooth walk or bass solo in sight. It's sad.

I write metal, smooth bass lines wouldn't quite fit. :xd:

And it's called a bass guitar, a bass can refer to a lot more than a four string instrument.

You need both

Without guitar its plain (with rock and metal obvs) but without bass its kind of hollow and 'dead'

I would say bass is easier to play, but you have to be able to keep a steady rythm.

I write metal, smooth bass lines wouldn't quite fit. :D

And it's called a bass guitar, a bass can refer to a lot more than a four string instrument.

I play in a metal band and I don't play the same thing as the guitar. Thats just being lazy.

Edited by ttttttttt

Two different instruments. Bass might be harder for most people to master (I say master because learning the basics to guitar & bass are extremely easy) because it's way less popular and in MY opinion requires a lot more precision/coordination.

I say that because to get a good sound out of your bass you have to have a decent amount of treble to it, but with that you hear lots of clicks and buzzes from strings hitting frets. You can cover those up by loading your EQ up with tons of bass, but then it sounds muffled, dull, and just.. really, really bad.

The coordination I'm talking about is basically slapping. Slapping is pretty much the fingerpicking of bass to me. When you start learning double thumb techniques, slapping triplets, plucking with 3 fingers it gets kind of.. really tough.

They're pretty equal in my opinion, but there's a reason why there's thousands of GREAT guitarists and only hundreds of GREAT bassists.

Popularity with guitar, unfamiliarity (sweet word, I hope that's real) with bass.

Bass takes more skill IMO.

Although most people say stuff like "you do nothing in a band, all we need is guitar and drums". You saay that and I hate you :@

Bass takes more skill as there is more techniques like slap, pop, etc. These are extremely hard to do, trust me I tried :wub:

Although sometimes I wish I played guitar, because some solos are just fascinating, but I love bass, and I'm going for 99 lolz

I know how to play both, but i like the sound of bass, but i like the thrill i get when im playing my electric..

i really dont know which one is better

but i do play guitar more..

Edited by Reaper00107

Although most people say stuff like "you do nothing in a band, all we need is guitar and drums". You saay that and I hate you :@

Bass takes more skill as there is more techniques like slap, pop, etc. These are extremely hard to do, trust me I tried :wub:

Although sometimes I wish I played guitar, because some solos are just fascinating, but I love bass, and I'm going for 99 lolz

It depends. Guitar has some really hard techniques too, sweep picking, alternative picking, pinch harmonics, tapping, etc.

It depends. Guitar has some really hard techniques too, sweep picking, alternative picking, pinch harmonics, tapping, etc.

Alternative picking? Do you mean picking up and down? I've always reffered to that as alterate picking. Or do you mean something else?

Alternative picking? Do you mean picking up and down? I've always reffered to that as alterate picking. Or do you mean something else?

Alternate or alternative, not sure. I refer to it as that or double picking. Picking up and down.

It's not that hard in theory, but when you start play scales on high speeds, it can become tricky.

Alternate or alternative, not sure. I refer to it as that or double picking. Picking up and down.

It's not that hard in theory, but when you start play scales on high speeds, it can become tricky.

I wouldn't call it a guitar technique though :wub:. If your playing bass with a pick then you need to alternate pick in alot of songs.

I wouldn't call it a guitar technique though :s. If your playing bass with a pick then you need to alternate pick in alot of songs.

I was more refering to the playing scales (or arpeggios, etc.) on high speeds rather than the actual technique itself. :wub: