Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Take This Post Seriously

" Afraid Of The Future," Came The Grim Reply

Well, recently a bunch of people at WotC (Wizards of the Coast, the company that makes Dungeons and Dragons, the popular roleplaying swords-and-sorcery game that RuneScape and WoW are largely based on) got their heads together and decided that they needed a new edition of Dungeons and Dragons. Even though it was already awesome, they decided that all the dozens of books about the current edition (of which I have about a dozen; $300 worth :() needed to become outdated because they wanted a new edition of Dungeons and Dragons. They've gotten rid of some of the best classes, like monks, barbarians and sorcerers (not sure about that last one), and dropped a lot of the best skills from the list. You can no longer play a gnome; instead, you can play a human descended from demons. Great job, Wizards. :mad:

They got rid of some of the most classic monsters, like some Greek mythology-oriented ones, and added a bunch of useless and complicated ones. Gone are the classics, and here are poorly-conceived, new-fangled types with ridiculous names. Not all of them, true, but still...

Even worse, the main campaign setting, the Forgotten Realms; Faerun; Toril, is now flashed forward a hundred years to a time when the world has been wrecked and is now a depressing land overrun by evil, and not in an exciting way, but in a very dreary way. If you've ever read about the Forgotten Realms, you'll know that it's too big and far-reaching a place for Good to affect all of it. So your characters are pretty much doomed to, without a cliche twist, wander the face of Faerun having adventures in an overrun, un-orderly place.

Worst of all, R.A. Salvatore, one of the best fantasy authors ever (IMO) is being forced to write stories about the new world rather than the old. Which means...all the best characters, with 20 years of history and books about them, and oceans of character development, are dead. Gone. Cya. Bye-bye.

The title, in case you're wondering, is, extremely coincidentally, the last words I wrote on my story in progress before I spent an hour looking this stuff up. The last words I typed ignorant of this horrible change.

I don't care if you comment, saying "D&D is lame; no-lifer. Nerd." I don't care if you haven't heard of D&D; if so, please don't post rude replies. I would love to hear from other people, however, who think D&D was great, especially if they've heard of the Forgotten Realms.

Or especially if they've read R.A. Salvatore. :)

~Take This Post Miserably

Edited by Take This Post Seriously

I have heard of forgotten realms, D&D, not Salvadore but I think it is ridiculous that they are taking it in this new direction...just a hint, make sure you keep your books safe...they will be quite a collectors item in future when people start to demand the classics :D

How the hell can you have D&D without wizards and barbarians??! :D

I have heard of forgotten realms, D&D, not Salvadore but I think it is ridiculous that they are taking it in this new direction...just a hint, make sure you keep your books safe...they will be quite a collectors item in future when people start to demand the classics :P

How the hell can you have D&D without wizards and barbarians??! :(

Just sorcerers, I think. :) But seriously! It's terrible how they're doing this! I guess they have to survive somehow, but why'd they have to rope R.A. Salvatore into writing terrible books, with all everyone's favorite characters gone?? :( Sure, Drizzt is a fine character, but him without his friends is just...pointless. :D

Honestly, I almost wrote to Bill Gates to ask him to donate money to Wizards! I'm sure he played D&D as a kid!

~Take This Post Mournfully