Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reloaded

How Fast Is Your Internet?

May I ask who is your ISP provider Hatred? And provide a speed test from Speedtest.net

http://www.execulink.ca/index.php = ISP i know its a small company but atleast they dont spy on what your looking at and they dont like have a llimit. i had like bell or comcast before and i used to use forum a lot and they charged me $7 for each GB i used over the limit which was 1Gb.... so low....

12mb donwload and almost 2 mb upload.

Edit: mine is better then all of yours and im on comcast.

The 12mb download and 2mb upload is due to the PowerBoost feature of Comcast. Normally it will either ne the normal 6mb download, 1mb upload or 8mb download and 1mb upload (2 dollars more for this one)

I have Comcast as well, and without the PowerBoost its normally 8mb down, 1.5mb up. With PowerBoost, i've seen speed's jump up to 25mb down, 2mb up (Nice that this is a new neighborhood and not many people have Comcast yet, so I get a lot of bandwith :P).

And Hatred, if your getting 30kbs down, 30 kps up, and paying 30 dollars a month for that, your seriously getting ripped off. Dial-up is faster than that, and even the cheapest DSL from AT&T is faster than that (1.5mb down, 768kbs up)

Dialup users will never download at 30Kbps. Dialup can connect at about 52Kbps max but will never download at this speed. They may get around 4Kbps on downloads, but not 30Kbps.

Edited by Agent F

Toungy is right. Dial-up is 56KB/s. You're saying that you don't even have that.

I run about 3,400KB/s download and 750KB/s upload.

on DSL? my internet costs like 30 USD a month. how much does yours cost?

Mine costs around $50-$60 a month (we also have FiOS TV so its $40 a month), and I have around 15,500kbps download and 2000kbps upload. So that's about 1.9MB/s download and 0.25MB/s upload. I used to have Comcast which was the same price as what I've got now, but downloads were about 1000kbps slower and uploads were about 1500kbps slower. Before that I had dialup, which was free, and (obviously) very slow.

$30 USD a month for 50kbps upload and download (or even if its KB and not kb) is a HUGE ripoff. You should easily be able to get that for $10 a month or less.

196833085.png

EDIT: I just Googled a few other speed tests and got: (download/upload)

15100/1850

20750/2500

well does your ISP monitor you? can you post speed test thingy? i want to see it for real... well you have FIOS i have DSL which goes though phone line... i dont think there is even FIOS lines in my city...

I posted an image from speedtest.net. Here's the link to it. http://www.speedtest.net/result/196833085.png Unless you mean the numbers for the edit, which I'm too lazy to get (they didn't provide images so I'd have to screenshot, upload, etc).

DSL is about the same speed a Comcast cable as far as I know (it can get that fast, but there's also really slow.. like what you've got), and I said that's almost the same as what I have. I'm sure that Comcast is in your area.

Does my ISP monitor me? No, as far as I know they don't (read: They don't mind me torrenting). Though, it shouldn't matter to you, because you would never torrent anything illegal or download anything else illegal. So you shouldn't have any problem with them monitoring you. :P

Heres mine. I use Road Runner (Time Warner Cable) and I have been fairly impressed. They are kind of spendy, but i love their support. Plus I have the whole digital cable deal thrown in there too, which is great because you can order movies to watch that are still in theatres. Anyways... :P

198157905.png

~Shaun

May I ask who is your ISP provider Hatred? And provide a speed test from Speedtest.net

http://www.execulink.ca/index.php = ISP i know its a small company but atleast they dont spy on what your looking at and they dont like have a llimit. i had like bell or comcast before and i used to use forum a lot and they charged me $7 for each GB i used over the limit which was 1Gb.... so low....

Thats obviously a lie, you obviously dont know how much I use my Internet and have never been charged more money for it, and I have Comcast right now. As the ad says "Unlimited Internet Access all for a price of $30-50 dollars a month."

And spying? Invasion of your privacy, which I have no clue who monitors what your looking at.

We don't need any more posts showing a speed test. We get the point - Hatred has slow internet.

See post 38 :huh:

Edited by Stobbo

We don't need any more posts showing a speed test. We get the point - Hatred has slow internet.

yea, but the topic title says “How Fast Is Your Internet?” so whats wrong with other people showing how fast/slow theirs is?

Edited by Drolleke

Lol, Stobbo's jealous because we have crap speeds in England (well I do anyway!) :(.

198489209.png

And I payed for a 8MB broadband from BT....

yea, but the topic title says “How Fast Is Your Internet?” so whats wrong with other people showing how fast/slow theirs is?

Sorry, I was half asleep. :P

I thought this was a topic where Tecumseh was asking for help with his internet speed. :)

Disregard what I said, and you have permission to hit me. :aware:

198663015.png[/url]

Download is fast, upload is a little slow. :P

I really wish we could have FioS here but the city refuses to replace the phone lines. It's way cheaper and faster than Comcast. Also, since FioS is fiber optics, why does it have to go through a phone line?

Some cities have the option for Comcast's Blast! which is apparently, faster than FioS. Only a select few cities have it. I wish mine did :P

I really wish we could have FioS here but the city refuses to replace the phone lines. It's way cheaper and faster than Comcast. Also, since FioS is fiber optics, why does it have to go through a phone line?

FiOS does not go through phone lines, it goes through fiber optic cables. The only reason that I was able to get it was that they installed fiber optic cables in my neighborhood. Also, phone lines don't get replaced by fiber optic cables. You can get phone service through them, but I'm pretty sure that Verizon is the only company in the area to offer that. So your city wouldn't be replacing the phone lines with fiber optic, it would just be an addition to what's already there.

198733790.png

FiOS does not go through phone lines, it goes through fiber optic cables. The only reason that I was able to get it was that they installed fiber optic cables in my neighborhood. Also, phone lines don't get replaced by fiber optic cables. You can get phone service through them, but I'm pretty sure that Verizon is the only company in the area to offer that. So your city wouldn't be replacing the phone lines with fiber optic, it would just be an addition to what's already there.

198733790.png

did u have to pay to have Fiber Optic lines going into your house? or was it free? how can u tell if u have fiber optic lines going into yourhouse?

I'm pretty sure the cable going to your house is in the installation fee, if there is any fee.

Darkeyes's link will tell you if there are already cables going to your neighborhood. Since you're going to ask... Yes, it is safe to enter your information there. Verizon doesn't collect that information.

12 MB Per second (I am sure it's DSL :P)

:lol: DSL never goes up to that high. Cable pwns all. :P

3Mbps download, 256Kbps upload. It'll change in a couple months when my ISP drops the 3M and makes 5M the lowest speed they will provide.