Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Merch Gwyar

Construction Guide Level By Level

The post about this guide is under the spoiler, if you need to read it. I've just shifted it for easy viewing of the progress report.

Construction Level by Level <-- The guide so far.

I am now level 71 construction and I find myself needing the same sort of information at every level. What I currently do is use several different websites for information. One lists clearly what furniture/rooms are available at each level, another lists the furniture in each hotspot so I can check if it's the highest, another tells me the xp etc. Occasionally I sit down with a pad and create several columns, then list all the goodies coming up over my next few levels. I've really wished for a single website that did this for me. In purely practical terms, this is precisely the guide that I want for my own Construction training.

It's meant to be used in addition to those already on the site in that section, as it references them, while serving a different purpose. Nothing else like it is out there, I've searched enough in vain.

The guide that I'm proposing is a bit of a large undertaking, plus it would be difficult to explain it all in terms of tags and tables, so I've done a mock-up:

Construction Level by Level (NB None of the left-hand links will work, it's not Sal's site. :o) I've only done the first four levels and 81-99, but it should give you an idea of what I'm submitting.

If this is accepted, then I'll obviously continue, though it will take a long time to do. It took around 3 hours to write the last 20 levels and it took Reaver another 3 hours to create the images. Hence I'm loathe to commit us to an amassed 24 hours work without an indication that we should continue.

Also, if it is accepted, has anyone got any feedback in terms of how it should be set out before I go any further? And Sal, would you prefer me to continue hard-coding it as in the mock-up, or to write it out like other guides and let you deal with the coding?

Edit: All the hyperlinks within the mock-up work now.

Edit2: PS Does anyone know how to add some kind of check list, so you could tick off the ones that you've done? It would need to be remembered, so presumably some kind of cookie?

May 9th, 2008, Progress:

Status: Sal's indicated that this guide will be appropriate for the site, so work is progressing full steam ahead.

Introduction/introductory notes: Done completely.

Proof-reading: On-going process, Audioworm has volunteered to help.

Table Information so far:

Levels 1-4: Merch Gwyar Done

Levels 5-19: Skull Done

Levels 20-29: Cougar Done

Levels 29-34: Merch Done

Levels 35-39: Merch Done

Levels 40-49: Cougar Done

Levels 50-80: Hawk Done

Levels 81-99: Merch Done

Will also be adding in an xp/gp column; and also information about stat boosting items as relates to each Construction item. Edit: Will we? We might have over-stretched ourselves on this bit, but if someone is willing to provide the data, I'm willing to code it onto the webpages.

Checking the Maths:

Levels 1-20: Skull Done

Levels 20-34: Skull Done

Levels 34-50: Skull Done

Levels 50-99: Wolfhe Done

- All updated on the webpages (5.4.08)

Level figures and item notes (all Merch Gwyar):

Levels 1-99: Done

Erk! Discovered that no-one has added the Treasure Room at all! :wizard: - Merch done.

Images so far:

1-4: Reaver [Done]

4-19: Pinkytm [Done]

20-34: Jeremy [Done]

35-39: Jeremy [Done]

40-46: Pinkytm [Done]

47-49: Pinkytm [Done]

50-69: Damaged [Done]

70-80: Reaver [Done]

81-99: Reaver [Done]

Notes: All level-related information about servants, quests, house moving/restyling and room allocations have been added. All notes about furniture have been written. Levels 1-50 have been coded in, while levels 51-99 are waiting to be coded.

Required notes: Tips from those players who have actually worked these levels. If the 'Construction Help' section is to be rewritten, then methodologies may be incorporated here, thus widening the current remit.

Required help: None at the moment

May 16th 2008:

I've given up on finding someone to do the skillcape emote at the end. We'll just add it when I get 99 Construction. :ph34r:

It's finished! Woot! Thank you all very much for all of your hard work. :o

Sal, what's a good way to hand over all the html files and pictures?

Edited by Merch Gwyar

Personally, I would love to see this on the site. I have also looked for something like this. Maybe you could get like four people to do certain sections. (i.e. 1-25, 26-50, 51-75, 76-100)

I suggest PMing Sal about the coding thing though.

Personally, I would love to see this on the site. I have also looked for something like this. Maybe you could get like four people to do certain sections. (i.e. 1-25, 26-50, 51-75, 76-100)

I suggest PMing Sal about the coding thing though.

That would certainly speed things up, if there were another three people willing to do this. I'd be more than happy to take 76-100, as I have all of the information on my pad right in front of it already.

Edit2: PS Does anyone know how to add some kind of check list, so you could tick off the ones that you've done? It would need to be remembered, so presumably some kind of cookie?

Other sites do something like that with Quest lists, so it should certainly be possible if somebody who knows something is asked.

How are the prices decided for items such as Oak Planks where the GE price is variable, or will it be the cost of the Sawmill + a nominal price for Logs - lowish for Oak and Miscellania price for Teak/Mahogany?

Im not a construction god, but I do have a very simlar list to one of yours from 45-60, so I could help with that part if nessecary.

Thank you very much, that would be very useful.

Also if this is accepted, I would be appealing for images at various stages of a house's development, just to make it all look more interesting.

Other sites do something like that with Quest lists, so it should certainly be possible if somebody who knows something is asked.

How are the prices decided for items such as Oak Planks where the GE price is variable, or will it be the cost of the Sawmill + a nominal price for Logs - lowish for Oak and Miscellania price for Teak/Mahogany?

Price at the sawmill or price from our database.

I actually love the way you set this up. As far as I can see there is one very big draw-back that holds true for any advanced skill guide: There are multiple ways to raise your level and you, as a guide writer, only get one chance to check your data: That particular road you took.

As a rule of thumb, when writing the range guide, I calculated back from lvl 99, to the other levels, and checked the results with other accounts. You probably don't have the luxury to do that.

Thus a fairly strait forward suggestion: Suppose you want to level from 76 to 77. What options are available and what are the xp-per-hour rates for the various possibilities. Guess you know what I mean with that: make items using as many planks as possible and look at the various types of planks possible.

--Simple--

I'd really like to see this on the site. But: you have only done up to level 4. What's with that? Can't you at leastput a little more up before posting?

I'd really like to see this on the site. But: you have only done up to level 4. What's with that? Can't you at leastput a little more up before posting?

Reading gets you far. Merch wants to see if It would simply be a waste of time if sal has no intention of putting it on the site.

I actually love the way you set this up. As far as I can see there is one very big draw-back that holds true for any advanced skill guide: There are multiple ways to raise your level and you, as a guide writer, only get one chance to check your data: That particular road you took.

I wasn't planning on adding any methodology, as that's been covered in ÐædÃzêr's guide, it's more a checklist of what you can build at each level, plus the list of supplies if you decide to build them all. The information in the table is designed to leave it up to the individual if they think it's worth it. The whole idea is to give the Construction skiller all the information that they need to make their own decisions regarding their route.

The notes section does exist, however, to note things of interest, for example, 'this is the level when you can do a quest to get more xp'. This section could also include notes about methodology, if people summit good ideas.

As a rule of thumb, when writing the range guide, I calculated back from lvl 99, to the other levels, and checked the results with other accounts. You probably don't have the luxury to do that.

Thus a fairly strait forward suggestion: Suppose you want to level from 76 to 77. What options are available and what are the xp-per-hour rates for the various possibilities. Guess you know what I mean with that: make items using as many planks as possible and look at the various types of planks possible.

--Simple--

This is a wonderful idea and easily added. :wub: Thank you very much.

Reading gets you far. Merch wants to see if It would simply be a waste of time if sal has no intention of putting it on the site.

Precisely that. Though it doesn't look like much, you have to cross-reference several sources and filter them through your own experience to add each bit of information. I did four rather than 99 on the basis that it might be chucked out the window and that would mean a lot of wasted hours. :xd: I'm assuming that you'll be able to see from the four entries the possibilities for the rest.

Edit: I've re-written the notes on levels 1-4 to look less like methodology and more like 'what can we share with you about this level'.

Edited by Merch Gwyar

Wow, Merch, this looks like it could be an exceptionally useful guide! ^_^ I can see no reason why Sal wouldn't want to put it on the site, but seeing as I'm not Sal, I couldn't know what decisions he would make.

Just a thought, but a 'Total experience gained' and a 'Total cost of all items for level' in each level's table might be a nice addition.

Kk, that's easily done. :aware:

Edit: I've added totals to the four levels there as examples. :box:

Btw could someone talk me through the addition of other people's names. I'm assuming that it's anyone who has made a suggestion or observation, which leads directly to me changing something on the actual page, even if it's just a punctuation mark. Once I know for certain, then I'll add those names to it.

Edited by Merch Gwyar

A very good idea, if you make this I will follow this through to get 50 construction. If you need some help ith lower levels (under 30) maybe I could do a few?

Kk, that's easily done. :)

Edit: I've added totals to the four levels there as examples. :lol:

Btw could someone talk me through the addition of other people's names. I'm assuming that it's anyone who has made a suggestion or observation, which leads directly to me changing something on the actual page, even if it's just a punctuation mark. Once I know for certain, then I'll add those names to it.

Its really up to you who to add, some people add only those who submit something to help, some people put anyone the spellchecked.

A very good idea, if you make this I will follow this through to get 50 construction. If you need some help ith lower levels (under 30) maybe I could do a few?

That would be fantastic, thank you very much. What I also would love from you is a screenshot (or two) of scenes from your house. This could be used to illustrate the guide somewhere at your level.

Kk, that's easily done. :)

Edit: I've added totals to the four levels there as examples. :lol:

Its really up to you who to add, some people add only those who submit something to help, some people put anyone the spellchecked.

There's cool, tyvm.

Incidentally, I've been working on adding information to the tables from 81-99, which are all now completed. Regardless of Sal's decision on this guide, those are the levels where I need it! LOL I've also tinkered with the opening notes and also on how I calculate the prices for each item.

If this guide is accepted, the strategy would be:

* Appeal for assistance in collating information. Easl has offered help for levels 1-30; Reaver has offered help for levels 45-60. (Ideally not alone, as each level takes a while!)

* Appeal to those familiar with this skill to share their practical tips in the notes sections. For example, the orrery in the study serves no practical purpose, it's just pretty.

* Appeal to those more mathematically minded to share xp/time/money figures, where appropriate.

* Add into the notes intelligence like where new rooms can be built and where the room allocation goes up.

* Hunt down someone with a Construction cape for a picture at the end; appeal for pictures from Slammers at various stages of a house's development.

* Ask for proof-reading volunteers. It's way too easy to mistranscribe something, either at the collating or coding stages, so people who would double-check that materials are correct and that the maths add up at the bottom of the columns would be great.

Edited by Merch Gwyar

I dont know what you think, but I believe it would look better with pictures of each of the items, so I took and tranparized the first 4 levels items.

WoodenBookcase.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/WoodenBookcase.gif]

TornCurtains.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/TornCurtains.gif]

CrudeChair.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/CrudeChair.gif]

ClayFireplace.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/ClayFireplace.gif]

BrownRug.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/BrownRug.gif]

All bag plants and trees look the same from what I can tell:

baggedplant.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/baggedplant.gif]

With an hour or two of work, I could do just about all of them.

(Reaver is no life.)

And just for the heck of it:

DemonicThrone.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/DemonicThrone.gif]

Also: I talked to my brother who works as a programmer about having Check-boxes that are stored in the users cookies, and he said that once the thing is finished he would be happy to put them in.

Edited by ---Reaver

Woot! That would look better!

Are you thinking about an extra column in the table or adding them to the column which lists the item?

Tell you brother that we love him. :rofl:

Ok, I have construction level 33 at the moment. I'll do a few level entrys and we could also have a few sections on quests. Just as a novelty we could make plans of famous buildings and how to create them in RS

Are you thinking about an extra column in the table or adding them to the column which lists the item?

I thought in the same cell as the name, but a new colum would work as well.

Ok, I have construction level 33 at the moment. I'll do a few level entrys and we could also have a few sections on quests. Just as a novelty we could make plans of famous buildings and how to create them in RS

Thank you very much. :rofl: LOL I love your idea and I'm already thinking about it ('Eiffel Tower... 3000 steel bars, 4 cloth and 1 magic stone...'), however I'm not convinced that its place is in the guide rather than as a topic on the forum.

I'm glad you said that, because I had a little experimentation with the coding and that was the way as I thought it looked better. I've added the images to the tables. Thank you very much. :huh:

Thank you very much. :rofl: LOL I love your idea and I'm already thinking about it ('Eiffel Tower... 3000 steel bars, 4 cloth and 1 magic stone...'), however I'm not convinced that its place is in the guide rather than as a topic on the forum.

I'm glad you said that, because I had a little experimentation with the coding and that was the way as I thought it looked better. I've added the images to the tables. Thank you very much. :huh:

No I mean, things like "Easls house"(in real life) I mean I can do a rough plan of that, or we can have thewhitehosue if anyones ever been in there. It would give an idea of thepossibilitys of the skill.

Con levels 81-99

ArcheryTarget.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/ArcheryTarget.gif]

BabyRedDragon.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/BabyRedDragon.gif]

balancebeam.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/balancebeam.gif]

BoneCage.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/BoneCage.gif]

CrystalThrone.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/CrystalThrone.gif]

DecorativePipe.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/DecorativePipe.gif]

GreaterMagicCage.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/GreaterMagicCage.gif]

GuildedCapeRack.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/GuildedCapeRack.gif]

GuildedClock.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/GuildedClock.gif]

GuildedThrone.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/GuildedThrone.gif]

GuildedWaredrobe.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/GuildedWaredrobe.gif]

Photobucket got mad at me, ;D

guildedwaredrobecostumeyu4.gif

[img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6757/guildedwaredrobecostumeyu4.gif]

HangingSkeleton.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/HangingSkeleton.gif]

Hellhound.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/Hellhound.gif]

HugeSpider.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/HugeSpider.gif]

InfernalChart.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/InfernalChart.gif]

KiteShield.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/KiteShield.gif]

LargeOverry.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/LargeOverry.gif]

LargeStatues.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/LargeStatues.gif]

LesserMagicCage.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/LesserMagicCage.gif]

MagicCapeRack.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MagicCapeRack.gif]

MahoganyArmourCase.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MahoganyArmourCase.gif]

MahoganyLadder.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MahoganyLadder.gif]

MahoganyLever.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MahoganyLever.gif]

MahoganyTelescope.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MahoganyTelescope.gif]

MahoganyToyBox.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MahoganyToyBox.gif]

MahoganyTreasureChest.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MahoganyTreasureChest.gif]

MarbleCapeRack.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MarbleCapeRack.gif]

MarbleDoor.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MarbleDoor.gif]

MarbleStaircase.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MarbleStaircase.gif]

MarbleTrap.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MarbleTrap.gif]

MarbleWaredrobe.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/MarbleWaredrobe.gif]

PoshFountain.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/PoshFountain.gif]

Rocnar.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/Rocnar.gif]

SkeletonThrone.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/SkeletonThrone.gif]

SkullTorches.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/SkullTorches.gif]

SmallOverry.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/SmallOverry.gif]

StainedGlass.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/StainedGlass.gif]

SteelDoor.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/SteelDoor.gif]

TeleportTrap.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/TeleportTrap.gif]

Torches.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/Torches.gif]

Trapdoor.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/Trapdoor.gif]

Troll.gif

[IMG=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/reaver3123/Troll.gif]

Edited by ---Reaver

No I mean, things like "Easls house"(in real life) I mean I can do a rough plan of that, or we can have thewhitehosue if anyones ever been in there. It would give an idea of thepossibilitys of the skill.

Oh! I see what you mean. You are discussing the design side of things. That would be a really useful section, though not precisely relevant to this particular guide. As it is, Sal's hasn't got the facility for it and so even the most loyal Slammer is disappearing over to another fansite to use their design thingie. :(

It would definitely be worth having something that addressed the design side on Sal's website, wherein your idea would be great. Have you the ability to write that guide?

this looks like it will be great merch <3

:/ Thank you for coming to look.

And Reaver!! :P I'll be adding them when I'm back.

Ok I'll get started, I'll start on 20? I can't do any tonight but I can tomorrow, I'll ask around and maybe I can see if anyone like teh design guide.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.