Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Acid

3870x2 Out!

The new 3870X2 is officially out tommorow, however Scan have already stocked this baby ^_^

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/PCI-Express-...view-29948.html

Remember this is the OC edition of the card, so has received a price markup.

755139-A.jpg

Review

This was told to be in the range of $400-500 so maybe the US will receive this cheaper.

That's a pretty looking card :D.

It's sat in metal box. Does it need to look pretty?

That's a pretty looking card :D.

If someone is willing to pay for it, what does it matter to you? It is their choice to get fancy looking hardware. :)

That's a pretty looking card :).

Is it a crime to say it's pretty? :D It does look good, for a dual-GPU card.

I'm rather excited for this card, as it might give ATi a nice entrance into the high-end market again, which they are slacking in currently. Even with the 3870, which is a great price/perf. card, the G92 competitors easily beat it, especially at larger resolutions.

That's a pretty looking card :mad:.

Is it a crime to say it's pretty? :) It does look good, for a dual-GPU card.

I'm rather excited for this card, as it might give ATi a nice entrance into the high-end market again, which they are slacking in currently. Even with the 3870, which is a great price/perf. card, the G92 competitors easily beat it, especially at larger resolutions.

Not a crime, just wouldn't saying that it doesn't really matter if its pretty. :D

This card will certainly be good, if all it does is provide nVidia with competition - which'll drive progress.

That's a pretty looking card :P.

Is it a crime to say it's pretty? :) It does look good, for a dual-GPU card.

Not a crime, just wouldn't saying that it doesn't really matter if its pretty. :D

Well, I don't buy XFX because I think they make better graphics cards, theirs just look best. :mad: Ofcourse, it's comparing almost identical prices, and I'd definitely not take.. say a 8600 GT simply because it looks better.

It's available in the USA as well. Go look over at MotherboardPro and a few other places. I was actually thinking of selling my brand new Radeon HD 3850 256 for a 512 or even the HD3870X2. Crossfire on these things own 8800GT's... and from what I've heard, this card will be as fast or faster than the dual-PCB (yuck!!) GeForce 9800GX2. This thing is single-PCB, though ultra-long.

and from what I've heard, this card will be as fast or faster than the dual-PCB (yuck!!) GeForce 9800GX2. This thing is single-PCB, though ultra-long.

G92 easily outperforms R670, why would two R670s be faster than a G92?

and from what I've heard, this card will be as fast or faster than the dual-PCB (yuck!!) GeForce 9800GX2. This thing is single-PCB, though ultra-long.

The 9800GX2 is underclocked because of heat issues apparently. However if you take a look at crysis a heavy optimized nvidia game the 8800ultra still outperforms this 9800GX2. This was before the new driver release but still, hopefully Ati will pick up the pace :P.

The 9800GX2 is underclocked because of heat issues apparently. However if you take a look at crysis a heavy optimized nvidia game the 8800ultra still outperforms this 9800GX2. This was before the new driver release but still, hopefully Ati will pick up the pace :P.

Right! ATI has already got much better drivers than before, and the launch was pushed back a week for driver improvement. This isn't going to be another GeForce 7950GX2 failure.

G92 doesn't do much better than R670. Two R670s would be better than a G92 because CrossFire scales much better than SLI does. Those two R670s (R680 as it's called here) run very fast and trade blows the G92. Besides--the GeFroce 9800GX2 is two underclocked 8800GT's slapped together (not even the decency to put them on the same PCB). As it is, the Radeon HD 3870X2 is quite a bit faster than the nearest solution, though it will lose out to 8800GTS G92's in SLI, but those cards cost more. It should soundly beat two 8800GT G92's in SLI, in at least 60-70% of the benchmarks available.

That's a pretty looking card :cute:.

Some people think better graphics on the cardboard box = faster. :)

The 9800GX2 is underclocked because of heat issues apparently. However if you take a look at crysis a heavy optimized nvidia game the 8800ultra still outperforms this 9800GX2. This was before the new driver release but still, hopefully Ati will pick up the pace :/.

Right! ATI has already got much better drivers than before, and the launch was pushed back a week for driver improvement. This isn't going to be another GeForce 7950GX2 failure.

G92 doesn't do much better than R670. Two R670s would be better than a G92 because CrossFire scales much better than SLI does. Those two R670s (R680 as it's called here) run very fast and trade blows the G92. Besides--the GeFroce 9800GX2 is two underclocked 8800GT's slapped together (not even the decency to put them on the same PCB). As it is, the Radeon HD 3870X2 is quite a bit faster than the nearest solution, though it will lose out to 8800GTS G92's in SLI, but those cards cost more. It should soundly beat two 8800GT G92's in SLI, in at least 60-70% of the benchmarks available.

3870X2 only beats the Ultra in certain games, it'd be quite the acheivement if it would beat the 9800 GX2, but not the 8800 Ultra.

The problem with technologies such as SLi and CF are not that the drivers are inproperly written. The main problem is bandwidth. The cards need to have identical memory, and the only thing that can be split up, processing wise, is shaders and AA. Projection transformation (3D -> 2D vector calculation), cannot be split up over the two cards. Next to that, frame buffers can be split up (upper half is shaded by card 1, bottom half by card 2), but again it is limited by the bandwidth, because the buffers have to be copied to one card in order for it to transfer to the screen.

ATi only has the edge because they've got two instead of one connectors, not because their drivers are much better.

9800X2? i meant the ultra outperforms the 3870X2 lol sorry nvidia's original naming scheme confused me :/. I've been looking over the 3870X2 benchmarks and well it does scale better that's true, but unless your going to use 1920 resolution it doesn't seem to benefit above the ultra that much.

ATi does seem to be picking up the pace though, and hopefully if they iron out driver issues they'll regain some market favor.

I did hear one person say that ATI "picture quality" is better then nvidia's meaning even though they achieve lower FPS that the picture quality is better... something to think about :P

I had some idiot saying that color accuracy was all-important for Halo 2 PC. I basically laughed at him and said color accuracy doesn't matter for games... it only really matters when you're doing image and video editing.

Other than that, this card is the best value, even for high-end. I don't know how much further the drivers will improve, but I'd like to see a CrossFireX_ update so we can scale from 2 of these to up to 6 (yes it's possible to daisy-chain them all up on a 4-slot board, saying the board has enough room... it's basically PCI Express-(slot)-PCI Express-PCI Express-PCI Express-(slot)(slot), so you can fit in a HD3870X2, HD3870, HD3870, and then HD3870X2 and connect them like I just said, only having to use single-slot HD3870s.

Edited by Bob-sama

I had some idiot saying that color accuracy was all-important for Halo 2 PC. I basically laughed at him and said color accuracy doesn't matter for games... it only really matters when you're doing image and video editing.

Other than that, this card is the best value, even for high-end. I don't know how much further the drivers will improve, but I'd like to see a CrossFireX_ update so we can scale from 2 of these to up to 6 (yes it's possible to daisy-chain them all up on a 4-slot board, saying the board has enough room... it's basically PCI Express-(slot)-PCI Express-PCI Express-PCI Express-(slot)(slot), so you can fit in a HD3870X2, HD3870, HD3870, and then HD3870X2 and connect them like I just said, only having to use single-slot HD3870s.

I never thought of that, that's taking bleeding edge to a new level... Remember each one of these HD3870X2's take 2 6pin power connectors! If i had a computer like that I would put it by my bed to keep me warm at night.

EDIT:

The 3870X2 requires 1 6 pin connector and 1 8 pin connector. There is a 6 to 8 pin connector included with most boxes.

Edited by Acid

Well there's one use for them! :aware: Anyways--yes that's far bleeding edge and has no supporting drivers (yet). The good news is that people who already own two HD3870's in CrossFireX2 should be able to drop one of these in and add it for a 3-PCI Express CrossFireX4. Other than that, PSU's aren't THAT big of a problem... they'd just need a few PCI Express PSU's (5.25" bay PSU's) and a little bit of modding. Other than that, the computer should become a powerhouse when [email protected] starts putting out R600/R670/R680 clients. But then again... to have six of these things will be quite extreme...

Edited by Bob-sama

CrossfireX drivers are out in march. I had no idea you could pair one of these 3870X2's with other 38**'s ! that's great news :aware:

The 9800X2 is running on two seperate PCB's? Would this mean the data transfer between the cards would be slower? I don't have any expertise in the region.

The price at the moment is $449 or £260 which i think is very reasonable for the performance it offers.

CrossfireX drivers are out in march. I had no idea you could pair one of these 3870X2's with other 38**'s ! that's great news :aware:

The 9800X2 is running on two seperate PCB's? Would this mean the data transfer between the cards would be slower? I don't have any expertise in the region.

The price at the moment is $449 or £260 which i think is very reasonable for the performance it offers.

Betas are out now. Still no support for CrossFireX6 in the foreseeable future. Still, you can get X4 betas now and stable launch drivers by April or so.

The 9800GX2 is two PCB's... the transfer is probably a bit slower, and if memory serves they rely upon the PCI Express bus to communicate. Remember that nVidia had two dual-GPU models... the GeForce 7900GX2 and 7950GX2. The former had internal SLI and the latter had used the PCI Express bus (SLI wouldn't work on an Intel chipset). The huge anti-Enthusiast portion of this card is actually the air-cooling-only look of it. You can't put water blocks where you can't fit them, especially if the PCBs are permanently attached to each other. Other than that, it's very reasonable even at $500. It's the new high-end.

Last thing I heard is that CrossFireX4 isn't scaling as well as expected, though it's still better than a similar Quad-SLI. It should soundly beat Tri-SLI.

I rather stick to SLI :aware: and also separate PCB's for each GPU.

I rather stick to SLI :aware: and also separate PCB's for each GPU.

Well, double PCBs have the thermal disadvantage. I find it quite remarkable of ATI to have put two GPUs on one PCB, and it seems to be working wonders with clocks.

Yeah single PCB = better cooling. well it has 2 fans anyway lolz.