Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snl2549

Debating/rebutting A Detention?

I am a good student. I'm in AP Classes, and I do well, and get along with all my teachers... except for that day. A rude substitute teacher, (Who was racist against asians) all of a sudden exclaimed that I was disturbing the class. She later talked to the Assist. Principal and I got a detention.

Now, because it's a 1 HR Office detention, it will ruin my record and stuff. I got out of it because I had to leave somewhere for the weekend on friday.

What should I do? I don't know why I got the detention, and that violates the rule of "Due Process". It's unfair, and even the Assist. Principal didn't tell me anything about it.

Help save my record.

Sorry but don't be such perfectionist love-child.

Its 1 little blemish on your record no one will care that you got 1 little tiny detention most people get loads.

In school, the teacher's word against yours is enough.

Just forget about it. Everybody receives a detention or two at some point. :) It's nothing to get worried about, to be honest.

I am a good student. I'm in AP Classes, and I do well, and get along with all my teachers... except for that day. A rude substitute teacher, (Who was racist against asians) all of a sudden exclaimed that I was disturbing the class. She later talked to the Assist. Principal and I got a detention.

Now, because it's a 1 HR Office detention, it will ruin my record and stuff. I got out of it because I had to leave somewhere for the weekend on friday.

What should I do? I don't know why I got the detention, and that violates the rule of "Due Process". It's unfair, and even the Assist. Principal didn't tell me anything about it.

Help save my record.

Well theres obviously a reason why she said you were disturbing the class. What were you doing?

It's the principle of the thing. If this person felt they did nothing wrong to deserve this detention then they shouldn't have to serve it.

Except that in school you don't have a choice, or rights, or anything of the sort. Sorry, but you'll just have to deal with it.

You're not in high school yet (I'll assume) so colleges won't see it, if that's what you're worried about. And even if they did, they're not going to care about it.

Just hold a grudge. That works the best.

It's the principle of the thing. If this person felt they did nothing wrong to deserve this detention then they shouldn't have to serve it.

Life isn't far, complaining tends to make it worse, in school at least.

You're not in high school yet (I'll assume) so colleges won't see it, if that's what you're worried about. And even if they did, they're not going to care about it.

Just hold a grudge. That works the best.

Then that must be one prestigious middle school to give AP classes. :glasses:

Anyway, just go in with your parents and have a talk. For some reason they all of a sudden pay extreme attention to you. :)

Don't listen to all these people, fight the power!

Why? It's useless. One detention doesn't matter at all. No higher education would see one single detention as a problem. There's no point in fighting it. Just serve it and move on :glasses:

The person that created this thread seems to think it is a big deal.

Except that in school you don't have a choice, or rights, or anything of the sort. Sorry, but you'll just have to deal with it.

I'm not sure what type of school you go to but in mine I have the choice of what classes I want to take. I also have the right to learn. "Dealing with it" doesn't always help, there are some things that some people can't deal with and want to change.

Life isn't far, complaining tends to make it worse, in school at least.

Well of course if you complain about the detention in an uncivilized way then that probably won't get you anywhere. But if you present an argument against it that shows you weren't doing anything wrong and were unfairly punished then it might be changed.

There is nothing wrong with fighting for something you believe in. The worst that will happen is the school will not remove the detention and you will have to serve it.

Going the other way, my dad works at a huge railway station and he does job interviews and gets to choose the person who will be employed. (sometimes I get to help :D)

If its between 2 good people, one has a perfectly clean record and one has a bit of trouble in the past, but not for anything sereous or criminal, the person with the worst record has the advantage. This is because if you have a perfectly clean record, even from school, it shows that even when you were being opressed and stuff by probably at least some horrible teachers you didn't stand up for yourself.

This is bad because if you working under a man who is obviously doing the wrong thing, you are less likely to try and stop him so it is more dangerous for all the workers (bearing in mind he works in construction)

How do you know your sub is a racist?

What were you doing to get in trouble....besides being asian?

I don't suppose the other students could help you?

Your best and probably only thing to do is........forget about it. OR if you have proof that the sub is a racist then you can probably do something about it. Good luck finding evidence though.

Your word, parents word and classmates words probably wont stand up to the school though. :o

Again........good luck :D

It's one detention and it won't do anything to your record. Don't sweat it.

But if your like me and don't like sitting in detention, go with the easy way. What you do is you claim the substitute has a problem with asians and complain to your principal. Tell this in confidence, you don't wanna get anyone in trouble and all you want is a second chance at the unfair detention. That way you come off as a sensitive caring individual, and the victim, while your substitute comes off as a crazy racist. If you have problems with this, then quietly suggest that other students have had this problem too and that they have gotten unfair detentions. If the substitute is unpopular and like what you described the other students will claim their detentions were unfair and your off the hook.

Bonus if you get the substitute subbing at another school. It's happened before to me in middle school, all it takes is a bunch of students complaining in a bunch of different classes.

Godspeed.

I'm not sure what type of school you go to but in mine I have the choice of what classes I want to take. I also have the right to learn. "Dealing with it" doesn't always help, there are some things that some people can't deal with and want to change.

Gee, thanks for completely misinterpreting my post. I'm pretty sure this topic isn't discussing class choices or the right to learn. It's about disciplinary action, where you usually have no say.

:man im great friends with the detention teacher! cough cough stupid 7th p teacher cough coughwell if you're in ap classes and uve never been in trouble before just say i didnt do anything...

Edited by sniper1166