Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reloaded

Atx V.s Mid Atx Case

Which size of case is best for normal computer user/ occasional gamer ? Planning to get SLI soon so must have some space.... Still don't really know what are the pros/cons of ATX/ mid ATX. Please Elaborate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought ATX was the motherboard form factor? In terms of SLI, it depends what cards you want to get 8800GTX's are quite big and I would recommend a full sized tower.

Coolmaster stacker 831 is a pretty hefty case with great cooling, Other people prefer the Antec 900. I think its down to personal preference. Some people prefer the sleeker look, others like their windows for case modding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought ATX was the motherboard form factor?

It is the motherboard form factor. The different cases are called tower, mid tower, ect.

The size of the case is really just personal preference. Bigger cases give you room to install more computer components and give you more room to work which makes it easier to install parts; however, the bigger cases take up more room on your desk. :aware:

Edited by Bub 5000

Pick a case which your motherboard is going to fit into. Other than that, it is down to what you want. Personally, I just get a cheap standard case and it works for me.

I'd go with a Xclio Windtunnel, but the choice is up to you. Personal preference rules the area of cases. You want an ATX case at a minimum, and look for oversized cases for long cards. Remember that some cards are 12" long, Tecumseh. Also, "BTX-Style" cases (ATX with motherboards on the left instead of the right) will make all heatpipes on your motherboard very inefficient.

KK thanks for the advice Bobsama... aren't most cases ATX like non BTX... What about those cases that have a separate compartment for the PSU?

Should the PSU but on top or below the mobo?

KK thanks for the advice Bobsama... aren't most cases ATX like non BTX... What about those cases that have a separate compartment for the PSU?

Should the PSU but on top or below the mobo?

Doesn't really matter, personally i prefer the PSU seated on the bottom of the case. Separate compartments are a nice idea to keep everything neat - once again its down to preference and what you intend to do with your computer :aware:.

What about a window? is that recommended?

Mesh provides better cooling since it allows more airflow, it depends how the case is setup so really it comes to reading the reviews about individual cases. Some case modder's like the prefitted windows so they can hook up some LED's and extras, but i guess if your serious about that stuff you could always do it yourself.

Well it all depends on what you want to do. Cheap acrylic windows look bad, and expensive acrylic windows may cause overheating. Many people looking for cable management will go for PSU-below style cases, because unused area at the bottom can easily be used to put PSU power cables. I don't like LED lights that much. Most custom cases are just that--custom. People go out and paint, modify, and basically make a unique case. Some people like to etch manufacturer's names and brands on their windows or paint them on the case. A very sleek design I saw had the manufacturer of the motherboard, processor, graphics card, power supply, hard drives, and case. It looked very nice, though it took a lot of custom work to make it look good. Oh and most modders, from what I saw, hate mesh instead of windowing. The mesh is said to mess up lighting.

Edited by Bob-sama