Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zengarth

The Confederate Flag- Offensive Or Not?

Do you consider the Confederate Flag offensive?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Confederate Flag Offensive?

• Yes
    • No

After seeing this list of obscure list of things to do with the confederate flag, I wanted to come to the forum as pose this questions to the members here. Do you consider it offensive or not?

Picture of the flag can be found here

If you post your opinion, tell where you're from. (North/South)

Personally, I don't find it offensive. My families from the South and I live in the South. I consider myself very educated on everything the flag truly stands for. I think most people who take offense to it do so just because slavery in the south.

I'm from the South but live in the North, so take your pick

Since the thing most people remember the Confederacy standing for in slavery, almost all black people find the flag offensive as do many white people. I think it shouldn't be flown out of respect for black people who find it offensive (and have every right to), but if you do fly it I'm not automatically going to label you as a racist.

Since the thing most people remember the Confederacy standing for in slavery,

But doesn't the fact that they remember it only for slavery show they are closed-minded and refuse to look at history as a whole?

I from the north, WI, and I think the south was right in the civil war. After all, the war was not over slavery, but states rights. I also, as you may be able to tell from the name, like stonewall jackson. Finally, the south was vilanized greatly. The north won, so they wrote the history books. Therfore, seeing as I think the south was right, I finf nothing offensive about the confederate flag.

But doesn't the fact that they remember it only for slavery show they are closed-minded and refuse to look at history as a whole?

Why does it even matter? The Confederate flag stands for slavery, the swastika stands for fascism. There's nothing we can do about it now, but we can prevent pointless controversies that are a waste of time.

After all, the war was not over slavery, but states rights.

Emphasis on this for all future posters! I'm so happy someone said this right off the bat!

Blade- is it not unfair so say the flag of a country that stood for many things only stands for one thing we consider negative in hindsight?

Edited by Zengarth

After all, the war was not over slavery, but states rights.

Emphasis on this for all future posters! I'm so happy someone said this right off the bat!

Blade- is it not unfair so say the flag of a country that stood for many things only stands for one thing we consider negative in hindsight?

One of the main reasons the South separated was slavery. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a big one. If black people wish not to have that flag flying as a reminder of slavery, I think that's fair enough.

Why does it even matter? The Confederate flag stands for slavery, the swastika stands for fascism. There's nothing we can do about it now, but we can prevent pointless controversies that are a waste of time.

Nazism and Fascism are two different things, even if related: as much as you aren't the same as your cousin. :aware:

I have no qualms about the flag itself: of course, if waved at a KKK meeting, I do have problems with it, but it's its usage, not the flag itself.

I think it shouldn't be flown out of respect for black people who find it offensive (and have every right to)
That's stupid. If I found black people offensive should black people avoid passing in front of my house? :aware: (Yes. I know I'm FAR exaggerating.)

I think it shouldn't be flown out of respect for black people who find it offensive (and have every right to)
That's stupid. If I found black people offensive should black people avoid passing in front of my house? :aware: (Yes. I know I'm FAR exaggerating.)

You're dealing with a completely different case there. The Confederate Flag is a recognized symbol of racism in most parts of America. It shouldn't be, but it is. I'm not asking for it to be outlawed or anything of that nature. However, since it's a symbol of racism, there are a lot of people who are offended by it. These are people whose ancestors were slaves, and that flag was the flag of the people who were fighting to keep them that way (yes, I know it was much more complicated than that, but that was one of the things the Confederacy was fighting for). It might not make sense in your eyes for people to be offended, but a good portion of Americans would say it is. That's the difference between it and your example.

Edited by _blade

If you dig deep into the record books you'll find the majority of slaves had no problem with their masters and even fought for them! The north was the ones coming to town raping women burning villages and killing the innocent. The south stood for states rights against a more powerful federal government. The founding fathers wanted the states to have more rights, and due to the war between the states our country is slipping farther and farther away from those ideals. People should learn everything the south stood for before saying the flag of the south only stands for racism

I am from the South, and in fact, a descendant of Robert E. Lee, hence my name :aware:

I personally find nothing wrong with the flag, but it uses (KKK, pro-slavery, etc..) to be wrong most of the time.

From what I've seen, most northerners can only see the flag as a symbol of racism and hatred. People are entitled to their own views (however narrow-minded), but it was a symbol for (ironically) independence from the oppressive northern government. The South was almost entirely dependent on its plantations, thus required large numbers of workers. Whereas the North had a large stake in refineries and mills. They disagreed with the idea of slavery, and without the Southern raw materials coming in they would have a huge drop in production. The Southerners wanted only to have more power in the state governments, while the Northerners wanted the National government to have all the power.

"But slave owners whipped, beat, and mistreated their slaves!" True, some did, but generally whippings and beatings were punishments, not just someone waking up one day and saying "I'm going to go beat the crap out of a black man for the hell of it!" This does not mean that the flag means (no offense) black people are inferior, we must treat them like dogs!

Look at Robert E. Lee himself, he was not a major supporter of slavery (although his income depended on it), he actually joined the Confederacy merely for the fact that his state did. [/history lesson]

Edited by Lee M16

I find the Confederate flag no more or less offensive than the Swastika.

It all depends on how the flag is being used.

I find the Confederate flag no more or less offensive than the Swastika.

It all depends on how the flag is being used.

To everyone relating the flag to the Nazis, how can you honestly compare what happening in America prior to the War between the States to a group of people trying to ELIMINATE a group of people? Last time I checked the South didn't kill over 6 million people

If you dig deep into the record books you'll find the majority of slaves had no problem with their masters and even fought for them! The north was the ones coming to town raping women burning villages and killing the innocent. The south stood for states rights against a more powerful federal government. The founding fathers wanted the states to have more rights, and due to the war between the states our country is slipping farther and farther away from those ideals. People should learn everything the south stood for before saying the flag of the south only stands for racism

Do you truly think any of them would have chosen to be enslaved? The United States had one of the worst systems of slavery. People belonged to their masters for life. If the majority of slaves were happy, why did they all rejoice when they were freed? I can almost guarantee none of them would have chosen to be in the position they were in for 200 years. They fought for their masters because their masters made them fight. Like I said before, but I guess I have to say again:

The flag shouldn't only stand for racism, but it does.

It's one of the symbols of racism and slavery. There isn't anything that can change that, but you can have some respect for the people who are offended by it.

And about your whole thing with the founding fathers, I don't agree with those ideals, so how does that make the South heroic? I think a strong federal government is important.

EDIT: About comparing the flag to the swastika, I only compared the two because they're both things that mean more than racism (the swastika being an ancient Indian symbol, the confederate flag for government ideals in the South), but the main thing they represent now is racism.

Edited by _blade

When the flag isn't associated with the civil war and how the south wanted to inslave innocent human beings, pm me and I won't be so hatefilled towards them.

When I went to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert it was at a bank and arts center so there was an african american appreciation festival going on outside. There were confederate flags everywhere for the concert. No one seemed to mind much.

I am from California...and I am not really sure what it counts as...so I will just say the west :)

To me its just a flag...so I am not offended by it or really affected by it at all to tell you the truth...

It seems it has a lot more meanings to it than purely racism and slavery...same with the Swastika...

I never knew that...until now at least :aware:

Thanks for the history lessons some of you... :aware:

This has already been said before...that flag is just like any tool or symbol...it depends on how you use it that makes it good or bad...

Just because somethings bad happen with the Confederate flag as it's symbol (KKK) doesn't mean at all that is how everybody feels. During 9/11 and other terrorist attacks by radical Muslims they did it in the name of Allah and the Koran, does that mean all Islamic people want to kill Christians and/or Americans?

How can u say that they are close-minded? or even the fact that it should be seen as history? As a disrespect to all blacks, y should we, America, display something that was burdensome to black people? If we, America, are all about respect, honor, and for equality, should such a flag that supported slavery be honored as history? The history the flag has is that black people fighting for their rights to be free, but even that piece of history is bad memories because most blacks were forced to fight in a war they did not want to fight in; therefore, loosing their families in the process. Here is a thinkable question: Would u keep a gun in ur house knowing that having a gun in the house meant a past lost in ur family?

How can u say that they are close-minded? or even the fact that it should be seen as history? As a disrespect to all blacks, y should we, America, display something that was burdensome to black people? If we, America, are all about respect, honor, and for equality, should such a flag that supported slavery be honored as history? The history the flag has is that black people fighting for their rights to be free, but even that piece of history is bad memories because most blacks were forced to fight in a war they did not want to fight in; therefore, loosing their families in the process. Here is a thinkable question: Would u keep a gun in ur house knowing that having a gun in the house meant a past lost in ur family?

I can see where you're coming from, and if that is the case, why should we support the American flag? How many people do you think really want to be over in the Middle East fighting a "war" that is "over"? How many people have been forced to fight in it and have been killed, not really knowing why they are fighting the enemy, except that the enemy blew up two buildings?

The flag stands for more than just slavery, it is part of history, history does not change.

I am from California...and I am not really sure what it counts as...so I will just say the west :aware:

California was in the Union. :aware:

I'm from the North and I don't find the Confederate flag offensive. It is the flag of the Confederate States of America. It doesn't solely represent slavery. The Civil War wasn't only started by conflict over slavery; it was also caused by the secession of Southern states because they wanted states' rights, among many other reasons.

Edited by Chris Daughtry

Just because somethings bad happen with the Confederate flag as it's symbol (KKK) doesn't mean at all that is how everybody feels. During 9/11 and other terrorist attacks by radical Muslims they did it in the name of Allah and the Koran, does that mean all Islamic people want to kill Christians and/or Americans?

The KKK isn't the only bad thing associated with the Confederate flag... but I'm sure you know that.

The majority of the Confederacy supported slavery, otherwise they wouldn't be fighting for it. I see your point about Muslims and 9/11, but that was an isolated incident, not a whole war (even if a war did result from it, it wasn't directly part of the war, and the war didn't have anything to do with religion)

Edited by _blade

I personally don't mind the Confederate Flag, so long as it's not like flown for the pure reason of racism.

To tell you the truth, I have a funny story about this. My school had an assemly on the first day of Black History Month, and I didn't realize it until I was at the assembly, but I was wearing a Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt with the band name written as the Confederate Flag design. Haha, my bad.

The KKK isn't the only bad thing associated with the Confederate flag... but I'm sure you know that.

The majority of the Confederacy supported slavery, otherwise they wouldn't be fighting for it. I see your point about Muslims and 9/11, but that was an isolated incident, not a whole war (even if a war did result from it, it wasn't directly part of the war, and the war didn't have anything to do with religion)

The Confederacy was a nation. Would you find the Japanese flag offensive?