Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
E Niteshade

The Death Sentance...

taxpayers shouldnt have to pay for the care and meals of prisoners who are only going to be released along with a 'high risk to reoffend" warning.

I think people who are bad ( e.g rapists etc.) should be put to death..

any other opinions on this?

Edited by the elf king

Hmmmm...

Yes, I agree, but what about people who are framed or are mentally insane?

Or should those be the first to go?

Sounds a little Hitler style :aware:

Everyone has the right to live. Those who are mentally disabled are put in special hospital anyway.

An eye for an eye will leave the world blind.

~ Macki

How does this cause repercussions?

How does a lifetime sentence not cause repercussions?

~ Macki

This is a totally new and fresh idea of a debate that has never been recycled over and over again.

I like it.

Edited by cpt 007

people sat that mentally insane people didn't know what they were doing when they comited the crime.

I think if they are that insane then they will have no idea what we are doing to them when they are being injected...

anyways lethal injection is fast and painless so the people with mental ilnesses will not feel a thing.

Its good for them if they do not have to suffer anymore and good for us because we don't have to worry that they will repeat their crimes as soon as they are released.

Should 1 persons death lead to another? NO.

Why? Sure, when looking at it technically it doesn't make sense, but when someone has committed a crime such as murder and has taken life, why should they be allowed to keep theirs?

Based on your philosophy, people who steal money shouldn't have to pay a fine...

I only believe that people who are a proven danger to others should receive the death penalty. And the "an eye for an eye makes the world blind" statement is just ridiculous, and anyone who uses that simply can't think of an actual argument, an eye for an eye deters people from poking eyes out in the first place. Anyone who says that isn't true is saying that every single law and punishment for crimes we have today is ineffective.

Edited by Lethal

I support the death penalty...only for two things currently: murder and rape.

I don't think that you should get the death penalty right away though for these crimes...

I believe in second chances...with murder and rape you should get a lot of time in prison or life...

During this time we will give the prisoner a chance to change...if we think he has changed he will be allowed to go back into society...

If this person messes up again though depending on the crime its either the death penalty or life in prison...

If that person commits murder or rape again...the death penalty...

Assault or stealing I would say life in prison...

This doesn't have to be exactly it for the law though...I am sure changes can and will occur to this if it is ever used....

[...]

anyways lethal injection is fast and painless

[...]

Actually, there's no way we can know that. Though, there is evidence that it could be incredibly painful.

The drug they used to make people unconscious is called sodium thiopental. It only works for a very short time. After that's injected, they add pancuronium bromide. It's believed that the second drug counters the effect of the first drug, waking the first up, but the second drug paralyses them, making them unable to express the pain they're feeling from suffocation. If that's not bad enough, they add a third drug, potassium chloride to kill them. Which would cause an intense burning sensation. But, once again, they're paralysed and unable to feel their pain.

So, the pain from not being able to breath, and horrible burning all over your body, and you can do nothing about it. Doesn't sound very painless. Not to mention, human. Heck, even hanging sounds better than that. Just a sudden tug, then you're neck breaks and your gone. Even if it doesn't break, you're only getting part of what lethal injection would be giving you.

Should 1 persons death lead to another? NO.

Why? Sure, when looking at it technically it doesn't make sense, but when someone has committed a crime such as murder and has taken life, why should they be allowed to keep theirs?

Based on your philosophy, people who steal money shouldn't have to pay a fine...

[...]

Your example is a little faulty. Someone takes a live, so we take theirs. Translating your example into the death one, would add up to someone takes their live, so we give them another life.

What you should have said was: people who steal money should have to pay a fine. You see, because they took money, then they have to give money.

Unless the murder gives birth to a child, then they gave a life. However, giving someone a new person isn't the same as giving the person some money. Money is money, that dollar, or this dollar has the same value (don't talk about counterfeit money, it's not actually money, it has no value, it's just made to look like the real thing). A life is not the same. One life has different morals, thoughts, beliefs than other.

Which brings me to this; just because someone takes a life, why should their life be taken away? It's not the same life. It's a much different one, it's not equal. So really, it's not an eye for an eye at all. It could be an eye for a head, or and arm for a leg. Not at all the same thing.

For the lethal injection thing causing pain...

Can't we always use anesthesia???

I always assumed we did use that or does something in the lethal injection counter it?

For the lethal injection thing causing pain...

Can't we always use anesthesia???

I always assumed we did use that or does something in the lethal injection counter it?

There's no point in anaesthesia being used. The first drug is what puts you do sleep. They also use that before they give someone anaesthesia. The anaesthesia just keeps the person asleep, and maintains their inability to feel throughout the surgery. Since lethal injection is suppose to be fast, there's really no point in using it.

You could also just kill people by using carbon monoxide. It's slow, but definitely painless. The guillotine could always be used, too. The head is taken off, end of story. Cant be any faster, really. I remember reading somewhere that it takes about 3 seconds to die once your head is removed. Don't know how true the 3 second thing is, so don't hold me for any of it.

people sat that mentally insane people didn't know what they were doing when they comited the crime.

I think if they are that insane then they will have no idea what we are doing to them when they are being injected...

That has to be the dumbest 2 sentences I have ever read in the debate forum. That is just... wow. :aware:

Anyways... Just because some criminals get a death sentence, doesn't mean that they don't deserve help, a second chance, or a life for themselves. I believe in mercy and forgiveness, so just because someone is accused of doing something, doesn't mean that they have to be starved or beaten to death before their penalty.

Edited by Arkwright

That has to be the dumbest 2 sentences I have ever read in the debate forum. That is just... wow. :aware:

Anyways... Just because some criminals get a death sentence, doesn't mean that they don't deserve help, a second chance, or a life for themselves. I believe in mercy and forgiveness, so just because someone is accused of doing something, doesn't mean that they have to be starved or beaten to death before their penalty.

100% agreed.

It's not that I am fully against the death pentalty, but I don't know if it perfectly just. It is basically saying, "For killing someone, (killing used as example) we because we are the Government will be killing you."

The guillotine could always be used, too. The head is taken off, end of story. Cant be any faster, really. I remember reading somewhere that it takes about 3 seconds to die once your head is removed. Don't know how true the 3 second thing is, so don't hold me for any of it.

too messy!

anyways lethal injection is fast and painless so the people with mental ilnesses will not feel a thing.

Its good for them if they do not have to suffer anymore and good for us because we don't have to worry that they will repeat their crimes as soon as they are released.

..... Mentally insane? As opposed to non-mentally insane? :)

And if that's the take on it, why not kill all people who aren't normal? After all, they must be suffering if they aren't perfectly average, and so it's good for them since they won't have to suffer anymore. Unfortunately, that's not going to work, because being mentally unstable does not mean that you are blind, def, and dumb, and won't notice how people are treating you or that they're trying to kill you. It only means that you weren't yourself when you committed the crime, and that if you can be helped, you stand a much lower chance of doing it again.

Anyways, I'm against the death penalty, because in my mind, it's entirely hypocritical, and it doesn't even do what most people claim as their reason for supporting it: save money.

* At the trial level, death penalty cases are estimated to generate roughly $470,000 in additional costs to the prosecution and defense over the cost of trying the same case as an aggravated murder without the death penalty and costs of $47,000 to $70,000 for court personnel.

* On direct appeal, the cost of appellate defense averages $100,000 more in death penalty cases, than in non-death penalty murder cases.

* Personal restraint petitions filed in death penalty cases on average cost an additional$137,000 in public defense costs.

Source

~CQ :aware:

I used to think that using the death penalty was a way of saving money...

When I tried to find info that it does...I instead found out it doesn't...

So...now part of the reason why I still support is to help out with overpopulation...even though I don't think executing every single murderer and rapist will help much....

Also another reason is to make room for people who have made less severe crimes...

I am against executing mentally challenged people or disabled people...the only time I would allow them to be executed is if they request it...

I am only interested in executing people who have done crimes...

If a mentally challenged person does a crime...I still wouldn't want execution or any prison time at all...

Just sent to a mental asylum...unless I guess in some cases where the person is dangerous and leaves us no choice but to use execution...

Edited by Newguyoo0

So...now part of the reason why I still support is to help out with overpopulation...even though I don't think executing every single murderer and rapist will help much....

But, wouldn't that increase population in the long run? :aware:

Since they're not out there killing people...

no, because no matter what there is always going to be another bad guy to take the place of the old one.

giving the death sentence to bad people might make them think twice before murdering though. :aware:

no, because no matter what there is always going to be another bad guy to take the place of the old one.

giving the death sentence to bad people might make them think twice before murdering though. :)

I might point out that it's rather difficult to think even once, let alone twice, after you've been subjected to the death penalty :)

But, wouldn't that increase population in the long run? :aware:

Since they're not out there killing people...

Well that's a cheery thought.....

~CQ :P

Edited by Cow Queen

If lethal injection really does cause pain, I think that we should instead use the guilletine (sp?). It fasts and (relatively) painless.

Your example is a little faulty. Someone takes a live, so we take theirs. Translating your example into the death one, would add up to someone takes their live, so we give them another life.

What you should have said was: people who steal money should have to pay a fine. You see, because they took money, then they have to give money.

Unless the murder gives birth to a child, then they gave a life. However, giving someone a new person isn't the same as giving the person some money. Money is money, that dollar, or this dollar has the same value (don't talk about counterfeit money, it's not actually money, it has no value, it's just made to look like the real thing). A life is not the same. One life has different morals, thoughts, beliefs than other.

Which brings me to this; just because someone takes a life, why should their life be taken away? It's not the same life. It's a much different one, it's not equal. So really, it's not an eye for an eye at all. It could be an eye for a head, or and arm for a leg. Not at all the same thing.

Firstly, well done on pointlessly disecting an analogy, the concept should be obvious and attacking the analogy rather than the point it's making is is a nice way to show you don't really have a defence.

So if you do, I'd like to hear it.

And as for "it's a different life", what kind of useless point is that to make? You might as well say that no-one should be put in prison because the victim in the crime is a different person to the offender, and wasn't put in prison when the crime occurred.

I don't think that the death penalty should be used because of miscarriages of justice. You wouldn't be able to free the innocent person if he/she had been executed. If a wrong person was in prison though, they lose some years of their life but at the end of the day their still alive.