Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix Rider

The War In Iraq

Alright guys. The War in Iraq. Five years of fighting. 100,000 Iraqis dead. 3000 american troops dead :P . Was it worth it? Will history view it as a liberation or an invasion? Was it a win :) or a lose :) ? Is Bush a superhero who saved an oppressed people or a mindless fool who ruined it all? :aware:

My thoughts goes to the iraqis, british, american, and other countries family, specially those poor civilians in iraq.

To date 90, 204 innocent civilians have died. The death toll of the coalition troops has reached 4 000 (4 033) this month. Even more families have been devastated. Approximately a billion dollars goes to that war each month. But where is this going to?

No.

too many people are dying. i say we leave their country and let them sort out their own problems.

that money would be better spent if it went t charities.

although many people died, more would have died if we didnt because of terrorists.

although many people died, more would have died if we didnt because of terrorists.

I don't even know what to say.

Well, Its just a waste, if we would have stayed out it probably been better, well, i kinda with Britain didn't folow america in, last thing we needed :aware:

The American people were still shocked and scared by 9-11 when we invaded Iraq. Nonetheless, a horrible dictator was removed, and a new, democratic government was put into place. The problem was the Shi'ite and Sunnis fighting one another. But violence is low, death tolls are down, and Iraq is more secure now. So now America has two options: withdraw now, and be responsible for a mass genocide that will take place, or slowly withdraw troops, and continue going on with an unpopular occupation. Obviously, people should chose the second option.

I don't think it was worth it...

I believe that the oil in that area was what really interested the U.S. to go there...and along the way attempt to help the people over there...

I really wish we spent all that money and effort on rapidly researching alternative energy sources instead of trying to get more control of another source of fossil fuels...

If we didn't plunge in the war right away and waited to see what would happen....and we were attacked again....then maybe the rest of the world might hold more sympathy with us and we can get more justification for entering that area...

I don't think we would have been attacked again...all we needed to do was boost our defence and play defence....

I think that would have been best...

Less people would have died if we didn't have presidents.

Alright guys. The War in Iraq. Five years of fighting. 100,000 Iraqis dead. 3000 american troops dead :P . Was it worth it? Will history view it as a liberation or an invasion? Was it a win :) or a lose :) ? Is Bush a superhero who saved an oppressed people or a mindless fool who ruined it all? :aware:

Im not going to debate...but all I have to tell you is that more than 1 million Iraqis dies...and not 100,000.

Also, I think the "opressed people" liked Saddam's time...then the current time.

FYI: Each time an Iraqi(Muslim) leaves the house to go somewhere, they say the Shahada (I think you, Phoenix, knows what it means)

For all those who say "its the "terrorsits"" fault...well who friggin got them in the country!!? Did you see them in Saddam's time killing each day?

I see the current America as aids...wherever it goes, it destroys.

I'll help you out Toungy...

Are you on crack?! What the heck did pre-invasion Iraq have to do with terrorism?! Saddam had a secular government...that means no religion in the government. He was a horrible dictator, but the parts of Iraq that he controlled were not a safe place for radical Muslims to hang out in. Here's the recipe for the perfect terrorist breeding ground: Send a western nation into a Muslim country and overthrow their government. Stay as an occupying force with several 100k troops for an indefinite amount of time. Stir and add a pinch of torture. Seriously, the conditions in Iraq right now are PERFECT for breeding terrorists. They can show the young kids first hand what the "evil" Americans are doing.

The American people were still shocked and scared by 9-11 when we invaded Iraq.
What did Iraq have to do with 9/11? Of the 19 hijackers, 15 were Saudi, and the other 4 were Afghani and Egyptian. Are you saying it was unjustified to invade but we're there now so we should fix it? Or that our fear (read: cowardice) after 9/11 really did justify invading a sovereign nation that did nothing against us?

I believe that the oil in that area was what really interested the U.S. to go there...and along the way attempt to help the people over there...

I really wish we spent all that money and effort on rapidly researching alternative energy sources instead of trying to get more control of another source of fossil fuels...

If we didn't plunge in the war right away and waited to see what would happen....and we were attacked again....then maybe the rest of the world might hold more sympathy with us and we can get more justification for entering that area...

I don't think we would have been attacked again...all we needed to do was boost our defence and play defence....

If it was really a war for oil, then how come oil prices have tripled since the occupation started?

I'll help you out Toungy...

Are you on crack?! What the heck did pre-invasion Iraq have to do with terrorism?! Saddam had a secular government...that means no religion in the government. He was a horrible dictator, but the parts of Iraq that he controlled were not a safe place for radical Muslims to hang out in. Here's the recipe for the perfect terrorist breeding ground: Send a western nation into a Muslim country and overthrow their government. Stay as an occupying force with several 100k troops for an indefinite amount of time. Stir and add a pinch of torture. Seriously, the conditions in Iraq right now are PERFECT for breeding terrorists. They can show the young kids first hand what the "evil" Americans are doing.

The American people were still shocked and scared by 9-11 when we invaded Iraq.
What did Iraq have to do with 9/11? Of the 19 hijackers, 15 were Saudi, and the other 4 were Afghani and Egyptian. Are you saying it was unjustified to invade but we're there now so we should fix it? Or that our fear (read: cowardice) after 9/11 really did justify invading a sovereign nation that did nothing against us?

I meant that the people of America were shocked and ready to take risky chances to defend themselves. Also, let me ask a question: do you think it really takes a torturous, horrible dictator such as Saddam Hussein to keep the terrorists away? Would you rather have another tyrant leading Iraq, or else take a risk and stay the course, incase things might improve, which they already have quite a bit (at least since last year)?

Did we find what we went against the UN to look for in Iraq? No.

Have we lost a huge amount of money? Yes.

And please, don't give me that "we're helping the people there because Saddam was a bad leader." We put Saddam in power. And honestly, if America really cared about helping other countries and wasn't interested in its own personal gain, we'd be doing more in places like Darfur.

If it was really a war for oil, then how come oil prices have tripled since the occupation started?

There are a few ideas why our oil prices are rising...and a couple of conspiracies with the whole war on terror...

I am not really sure though...this is just what I heard...

The U.S. just needed a good reason to seize that oil for itself...actually not really the U.S., just major oil companies that knew how to pull some strings :aware:

Thats why some people believe that 9/11 was a setup...just to get people riled up to invade...

Now for the oil...it might be a monopoly thing...also because it is running out...so I guess the companies could be charging higher than they should be under the reason that it is getting hard to come by...which will probably drive the U.S. to be more aggressive and greedy when it comes to getting control of oil in the Middle-East...

If it was openly a war for oil...I don't think the people of America would have been so eager to engage in this war...

This is just a conspiracy though...I am not sure if it has some truth in it or any at all...or if it might be completely true...

There was a commercial about a documentary I watched (not on the History Channel :P ) it said something about the War on Terror being the most profitable war in American history...I can't really remember if it did mention for a certain group (oil companies) or other companies or groups...it doesn't seem to be profitable for the whole country though...

I missed the documentary though...and I don't remember the title... :)

Did we find what we went against the UN to look for in Iraq? No.

Have we lost a huge amount of money? Yes.

And please, don't give me that "we're helping the people there because Saddam was a bad leader." We put Saddam in power. And honestly, if America really cared about helping other countries and wasn't interested in its own personal gain, we'd be doing more in places like Darfur.

So, do you think that when America put Saddam Hussein in charge, we knew that he would use nerve gas against his own people, or set up torture chambers underneath his palaces? Also, how is the United States in it for personal gain if the economy is slipping into recession?

Now let's focuss on Bush's reason for the war. That Iraq is producing biological weapons of mass destruction. Most people agree that if he hadn't said that and instead said that we are going into war to liberate a oppresed people, more people around the world would have pledged their support and the U.S wouldn't have to take so much of the blame. :aware:

Edited by Phoenix Rider

The reason for the war was to find weapons of mass destruction, which haven't been found yet. But, Hillary Clinton also helped persuade Congress to give Bush the power to invade Iraq. It's not only Bush that's to blame for the mess we're in now.

Also, how is the United States in it for personal gain if the economy is slipping into recession?
Two things: weapon production contracts and employment kept artificially high by army enrolment.

The reason for the war was to find weapons of mass destruction, which haven't been found yet. But, Hillary Clinton also helped persuade Congress to give Bush the power to invade Iraq. It's not only Bush that's to blame for the mess we're in now.

Except all those people that supported it 5 years ago don't support it now and stopped supporting it long ago

We went in there, overthrew the government, the invasion fell apart, and we stayed anyway.

We're not doing anything there (Maybe we are, all I ever hear about is soldiers dying from attacks). We've overstayed our welcome and we need to leave.

We went in there, overthrew the government, the invasion fell apart, and we stayed anyway.

We're not doing anything there (Maybe we are, all I ever hear about is soldiers dying from attacks). We've overstayed our welcome and we need to leave.

Haven't you heard about how a recent Shi'ite uprising (al-Sadr, I believe the leader's name was) was crushed by Iraqi and coalition forces? :aware:

If we leave right now, there will be mass genocides, and after five to ten years of utter chaos, maybe Iraq will even turn out like Iran did. :)

Haven't you heard about how a recent Shi'ite uprising (al-Sadr, I believe the leader's name was) was crushed by Iraqi and coalition forces? :aware:

If we leave right now, there will be mass genocides, and after five to ten years of utter chaos, maybe Iraq will even turn out like Iran did. :)

Mass genocide?

We shouldn't have been there to stop the Shi'ite invasion. That's a civil war and should be a problem of the Iraqi government, not a foreign occupying force.

I think that the war was wrong to begin with but leaving it will cause more deaths! Its the U.S's responsibility to ride the thing out and stay with it untill the situation gets better. Its their war, they have to end it properly. :aware: