Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cxkslei

Two Kids Suspended For Meeting Obama

Ridiculous. A warning not to do it again is all that is needed, it isn't like they went off-campus to smoke, drink or cause trouble. I have a feeling someone in the school isn't a fan of Obama.

if the students had approached a teacher about wanting to leave campus, they probably would have been given permission

Yeh right...

I agree, a suspension is a little harsh... I mean, it was only gym, not THE most important subject in the world. Also, the got to see Obama (woot woot :aware:)

Edited by packman9898

Meh I'd say a 1 day suspension is worth it.

I definitely would have done the same thing. Of course I'm not class president or anything but still. Its not the kind of opportunity you get every day to meet and talk with someone who has a pretty good shot of becoming the president.

When people are talking about him you can be like "oh yeah I met him once. Snuck out of gym class and met him at a diner." :aware:

Meh I'd say a 1 day suspension is worth it.

I definitely would have done the same thing. Of course I'm not class president or anything but still. Its not the kind of opportunity you get every day to meet and talk with someone who has a pretty good shot of becoming the president.

When people are talking about him you can be like "oh yeah I met him once. Snuck out of gym class and met him at a diner." :aware:

And was in an article. :)

The punishment was right since they snuck out of school to meet him. But it's only a day suspension, whoop de do. I would have done it.

Guest Slave To Emanick
They got what they deserved. Why should a permission slip from a presidential candidate change anything?

Why should a permission slip from the president change anything? They broke school rules, and completely deserved the punishment.

Well, since schools fall under the federal government, a presidential pardon should do the trick. Obama isn't President, but if your wording is meant to imply that "even if he wasn't President that shouldn't change anything," you would be wrong, unless of course he didn't bother to get involved. (Incidentally, this incident could be turned into something very good for his image among young voters, as his pressure could cause the school to take back their decision to make the class president resign.)

I agree with the suspension, but the resignation does strike me as ridiculous. Leaving the school for 20 minutes may be against the rules, but it's surely understandable as the boys may end up remembering this for the rest of their lives, and perhaps the people who issued the punishment would do the same thing if they had a chance to go back in time and meet, say, Jimmy Carter when they were in high school.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World?

Pathetic, but also strangely funny. And ironic that they went to meet a presidential candidate, and now one of them is being told to give up their class presidency :)

I know. :P Perhaps foreshadowing, though, not irony. :aware:

(Not meant to imply anything major.)

~Eman :)

Edited by Slave To Emanick

If the rules say that skipping class for an hour results in suspension and the loss of any elected position, then fine.

I can also understand them complaining about it though, simply because they were trying to engage in the political process. That seems quite evident since one of them was the class president. I would hope the kids would simply say to their peers, parents, teachers, local paper, etc "We broke the rules, took the punishment, and we would do it again in a second for that kind of once in a lifetime opportunity."

I still don't understand why they didn't just go and ask for permission.

Guest Slave To Emanick
If the rules say that skipping class for an hour results in suspension and the loss of any elected position, then fine.

I can also understand them complaining about it though, simply because they were trying to engage in the political process. That seems quite evident since one of them was the class president. I would hope the kids would simply say to their peers, parents, teachers, local paper, etc "We broke the rules, took the punishment, and we would do it again in a second for that kind of once in a lifetime opportunity."

Probably because their gym teacher was very strict, unlikely to be interested in things of that type (believe it or not, there ARE people who aren't excited about the election :aware:), and he would be watching them much more closely after he said no.

Just a guess, though. :)

~Eman :P

Seems a little strict to suspend someone for something like that, but they broke the rules.

No talking to inexpirienced presidental candidates when you should be at class.

:wizard:

It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance. :aware:

Why would the school do something that harsh to people who are interested in politics?

Anyways, they left school for a good cause. - To see someone who can make a difference in the future.

Experiences are drained of significance when in a large group. If two were allowed out, the whole class would be. I doubt they would be able to get a word in, escpecially with the teacher hogging the attention. PLUS I doubt Obama would appreciate having 30+ people run over to him and bombard him with questions, escpecially if they aren't the usual reporters.

I think it is fair. They left school grounds without an early dismissal note from a parent/guardian. You're not supposed to just leave school whenever you feel like it.

Hmm, well, it seems a bit excessive, but whatever. I think that would be a cool opportunity, so go for it. :aware: Who gives a dang about missing a bit of exercise anyway?

Wonder if any of you that think it is fine would think differently if they skipped to see Bush... who cares they broke a rule and got punished because that doesn't happen in schools...[/sarcasm] (losing class president is a bit much not like they don't break the occasional rule too)

Harsh :) . Yeah I believe they should have asked but suspension?! thats going too far. These guys should pray real hard that Obama wins so they can give the old " look whos laughing now" saying to their teachers plus get Obama to take that suspension out of their permanent records. Lol :aware:

Edited by Phoenix Rider

These kids were probably 17-18. They shouldn't be punished like this for skipping a class. I understand the school tries to enforce rules, but still it doesn't warrant a resignation. I'd like to see the senior refuse to resign.

Were I the senior, I'd just take having to step down from class presidency. Who cares? It's most likely a bunch of work. :P

Perhaps they should have asked for permission but if they did, there was no guarantee they would have been allowed out.

Of course the school would say "If they'd asked they most likely would have been allowed out" now that this matter has been blown up. :aware:

I'd take the punishment, it'd be completely worth it. :) It was deserved, yes, but so worth it.

Edited by Un0

@Evin: I think I've been to 6 of my gym classes overall this year. The gym teachers TELL us to cut. Mostly since it's a large class and last period.

Lucky, I wish I could cut gym...

On topic...

That was EXTREMELY unfair. Atleast when I had a suspension it was justified well >.>.

I would have done the same thing though. Just think how much you could sell something like his autograph for on Ebay! I would need three autographs of his before I dare sell one though...

Edited by Slave to Sax Rocks1

If Obama was having breakfast at a diner near our school, we would most likely be having a field trip there.

I think those kids shouldn't have been punished because they're showing a healthy interest in politics. I'm rooting for Obama myself, and I think the school people should've just had a laugh about it or something. The least the kids could do though is make up that Gym class :aware:

It's the kid's fault. Who would be stupid enough to go and tell their teachers that they skipped?

They broke the rules, and they got punished. Simple as that.

That was EXTREMELY unfair.

What's unfair about it? They broke the rules, they get punished.

Many people have made similar comments. You're essentially suggesting that a person's intentions do not matter. Everyone who breaks the rules should be punished equally. But why? The idea is so prevalent in our society that most people don't even seek to provide a justification.

In this case, I might actually be inclined to agree with you. However, does this always hold true? In other words, do a person's reasons for breaking the law never matter? I think it's a good deal more complicated than that.

-Common Sense

Guest Slave To Emanick
It's the kid's fault. Who would be stupid enough to go and tell their teachers that they skipped?

They told the teacher they skipped? :aware: I thought they just got caught.

And yes, Common Sense, I tend to agree, to a point. To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure what your point is. :P

Do you think they deserved a punishment at all? Do you think they deserved the suspension but not the resignation from the Presidency? Do you think they deserved both?

~Eman :)

That was EXTREMELY unfair.

What's unfair about it? They broke the rules, they get punished.

Many people have made similar comments. You're essentially suggesting that a person's intentions do not matter. Everyone who breaks the rules should be punished equally. But why? The idea is so prevalent in our society that most people don't even seek to provide a justification.

In this case, I might actually be inclined to agree with you. However, does this always hold true? In other words, do a person's reasons for breaking the law never matter? I think it's a good deal more complicated than that.

-Common Sense

I don't believe that everyone should be punished equally, but seriously, in every school I've ever been to, you need faculty and/or parental permission to miss a class, not some well-known politician's.