Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yuanrang

An Image Of The Future

Amazing :aware: Alot better than the current!

If they keep these updates up, they may get as many customers as WoW

Omg, runescape 3 is OWT! (well, not yet, but my instant gratificationiousness forced me to say that(idiot terms, i cant control my brain :) ))

Technacilly, we are in Rs3 :)

This looks really lame. I looks so blurry, and disorted and stuff. I've always hated graphic updates. I miss the old Fally, lumby edgeville, but most of all, I miss the old Varrock. The fountian was so cool, now replaced with junk. The monk robe update pissed me off A LOT, i used to wear monk robes everywhere, but not anymore. It looks WAYYYYYY too real. I kind of like it to look like a game. Glad they have a new option. Because if they didn't, there would one less on that ticker at the top.

[/rant]

The old citys were lame :P. they looked like they came from PS1 (for all you who dont understand that, its bad). The new ones look awsome, and if you miss the old, then look for it on youtube. And of course the new thing looks blurry and distorted, its not done. Oh, one more thing, if the monk robes pissed you off, get a life. they looked like crap before, and they look like crap now. wear something cool or become a member so you can get new stuff, dont sit there and complain, it gets you nowhere.

EDIT: Oh, wait, i know you, u were mad at me last time i saw you, i guess i didnt help :aware:

Edited by Rem

Hey, thats truly amzing i knew this was coming though. I thought somthing was up after the pictures in the knowlage base looking soo sweet then a asked my freind( "she" works fro jagex ltd and she told me, anyway thats for giveing an image. :aware:

Well, I suppose all I can say is... "It's about time!"

RS has needed some graphical updates for quite a while, and I dare say that this is gonna make me renew my subscription and start playing again. On the down side, this is gonna' make faking a hell of a lot harder. Hmph!

The old citys were lame :). they looked like they came from PS1 (for all you who dont understand that, its bad).

If todays runescape looked like it came from a PS1, we'll be very lucky. Right now the models and textures of runescape can't even compare to some good-looking PS1 games. This new-looking runescape will make it to nearly PS2 quality, by the looks of it. Here's some screenshot comparisons (sorry for the low quality of the console screenshots).

Compare the pair (same age, same income, same super contribution :aware: ):

imageofthepast1la2.jpg

RuneScape

319768.jpeg

PS1 Game (Tekken 3)

You notice runescapes models are very blocky and simple. The textures are often just a single color, paintbucket'd over the entire model, or a mixture of a few colors. The Playstation 1 has rather complex models compared to this and the textures are far superior - often consisting of complex combinations of bright, vibrant colors. Also note Tekken 3 came out in 1999, so even better looking Playstation 1 games had come out after Tekken 3's release.

Now compare the new screenshot of runescape to a Playstation 2 game:

imageofthefuture1kj2.jpg

RuneScape

405694.jpeg

PS2 Game (Tekken 5)

The new runescape features individual shadows and, by the look of it, smooth character models (finally!). However, PS2 games like Tekken 5 as shown here are still far better in terms of graphics quality - Tekken 5 features individual particle effects, incredible models (for a 6th-generation console game) and complex textures covering every tiny model and surface in the game.

So based on what I've shown you, in terms of graphics quality, the following could be proclaimed:

• The Current RuneScape looks worse than a PS1 Game
  • The new Runescape looks about the same as a very good looking PS1 game, or an average PS2 Game
  • Good-looking PS2 Games look much better than the new RuneScape

How's that for a post, eh? :P

Edited by Sir Ajacobs

I just noticed something! We have definable shadows. This means we have a light source? :aware:

This is really upsetting how many people play a game based solely on graphics... :wizard:

Well the graphics is about 100% of the things you see in the game. When people say graphics don't matter they are completely wrong. If a game had the best gameplay but it's graphics consisted of huge dots flying on the scene would you enjoy playing it? Gameplay and graphics go together hand-in-hand. Not one without the other.

And before you point out tetris and pac man, the graphics of those games were perfect for the gameplay. Thats why a 3D pacman with the best textures ever would still be about as fun to play as the old one. Just like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 and other old games.

Graphics are just the "cars" of the games,they guide the game but the thing that matters is the GAMEPLAY,as long as the graphics are decent the game is alright,I mean look at half life 1,terrible graphics yet great gameplay....

let me clear this up this is not rs3 if it was to be rs3 there would have to be a game engine update the new can't be optional

ona side note what has more conten RS or WoW

let me clear this up this is not rs3 if it was to be rs3 there would have to be a game engine update the new can't be optional

I would say WOW but its to crammed in and complicated,rs has fun minigames,unlock all quests+skills and rs is ALOT cheaper

thanks master and runescape will get alot more players

As far as quest runescape blows wow out of the water. Quests in wow are more like slayer asignmeants. Wow and runescape have a close map size. So in land area its pretty close but i think rs might have a little more land. Graphics, kinda obvious wow wins. Attack styles, wow has the most. Skills, heres a win for rs :aware: I could go on with this forever, runescape and wow have no clear content winner because you'll find the two come to a near tie.

thanks for the info jump and

THERE IS NO RS3 EVEN WITH THIS UPDATE

speeachless :aware:

speeachless about what?

and there is no rs3

i was freakin out when i saw this cuz now it looks so real but wouldnt this up date make it harder to make fakes of armour like recolouring it?

thanks for the info jump and

THERE IS NO RS3 EVEN WITH THIS UPDATE

I think we all get the point this is not RS3, so stop writing it in every one of your posts now.

Oh, my gosh!!! This will be my most favorite update there has ever been (with the exception of construction)!!! I build a lot of my own computer stuff, so when I got the cash, I decided to make a large computer screen (two foot by too foot). This has created some problems with games, but mostly runescape, because of the small size it takes up on the screen. Making full screen could be a lifesaver for me, and I will totally be into it!!! THANKS SO MUCH JAGEX!!! :aware:

Runescape will get more players, no doubt about that. But no way will it take over WoW. Oh and the new expansion for world of warcraft comes out same time as this graphical update.

As far as quest runescape blows wow out of the water. Quests in wow are more like slayer asignmeants. Wow and runescape have a close map size. So in land area its pretty close but i think rs might have a little more land. Graphics, kinda obvious wow wins. Attack styles, wow has the most. Skills, heres a win for rs :aware: I could go on with this forever, runescape and wow have no clear content winner because you'll find the two come to a near tie.

None of that is true at all. WoW has loads more land than Runescape, about three to four areas on WoW is about the same size as the whole of runescape.

WoW has loads more quests than Runescape, and if you think "there just slayer assignments" you haven't got past level 10.

WoW has skills too, not as many, but the key point here is: there interesting, unlike RS which is repetitive, and quite frankly very dull. Also, with one skill on WoW you can make as many things as you can in all the skills in Runescape.

It's not even complicated or crammed in. And to be honest, it's not like a bank breaking amount of money, not much more expensive than runescape, and you can always play on a private server which is legal.

Edited by Hellogoodbye

Guest Slave To Emanick

Runescape will get more players, no doubt about that. But no way will it take over WoW. Oh and the new expansion for world of warcraft comes out same time as this graphical update.

How do you know? It doesn't say that the graphics for RuneScape are coming in September. :P (Or whenever the expansion is being released. :))

None of that is true at all. WoW has loads more land than Runescape, about three to four areas on WoW is about the same size as the whole of runescape.

WoW has loads more quests than Runescape, and if you think "there just slayer assignments" you haven't got past level 10.

WoW has skills too, not as many, but the key point here is: there interesting, unlike RS which is repetitive, and quite frankly very dull. Also, with one skill on WoW you can make as many things as you can in all the skills in Runescape.

It's not even complicated or crammed in. And to be honest, it's not like a bank breaking amount of money, not much more expensive than runescape, and you can always play on a private server which is legal.

World of Warcraft, on the other hand, involves far more walking than RS. You can waste hours in a week traveling, as opposed to RuneScape, with a large but highly navigable map, especially at high levels.

World of Warcraft's quests are mainly loose, and I've heard their storylines are (comparatively, for the vast majority) poor and not as well thought out. (From WoW players, no less.) There are thousands of World of Warcraft quests, but the majority are, indeed, Slayer assignments. Seriously. There are several good storylines, I hear but I enjoy RS's involved, ever-unraveling mythology and details too much to try something completely different.

WoW players tend to claim their skills are boring, too. (Except in RS debates, I've noticed.) Some sections are fun, but then again, tons of slower RS skill sections are fun too. Pyramid Plunder is a great way to train Thieving. Combat has many varied and exciting ways to train, although grinding is of course the easier option. Trouble Brewing, Farmer Blinkin-minigame-thing, and come to think of it most skills, have their own fun way to train that escapes grinding. (1,000 things in one skill > 100 things in ten different skills, btw. Far less net variety.)

Sure, if you have a great job or have parents willing to drop you money whenever you want, World of Warcraft is managable. But for 15-year-olds like me who have trouble finding a job that pays more than $75 a month or so, it's really is bank-breaking if you're tight on cash.

Yeah.

~Eman :)