Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A D A M

a Mayan prediction that hasn't even been proved true or false yet.

Once again. The Mayans predicted a new cycle in 2012, not the end of the world or any matter.

a Mayan prediction that hasn't even been proved true or false yet.

Once again. The Mayans predicted a new cycle in 2012, not the end of the world or any matter.

If it hasn't been proved true or false yet, it can fall under both situations until the Mayans explain their junk and give a logical reason for the prediction. Otherwise, just a cycle as your previous statement occuring to happen later in the world's history.

Coming from a Catholic, the Holy Book cleary says that the end will come when u least expect it. :aware:

Predictions from Mayans aren't the best things to follow buddy....

The end will come when u least expect it. :aware:

That is exactly a different version for a Christians belief of Jesus coming "Like a thief in the night" so yes, if that is believed in most other religions referring to the Catholic and Christian, then to other religions it should go to besides just those two.

Edited by Magic Of Woodcut

I would know that. The Mayans are my least favourite topic when I go in history class because their junk about history that doesn't even lead to a conclusion just makes me angry, so I manage to find myself asleep within the hour. Last statement agreed.

Thats exactly what I said Phoenix, finally someone who agrees.

I thought you said that you were just stating what the Christian belief was and not saying that you had the right answer :aware:

A few years ago those silly Mayans were predicting the world would end in 2006, before that, 2003. The dates come and go and nothing ever happens. It's all hogwash.

A few years ago those silly Mayans were predicting the world would end in 2006, before that, 2003. The dates come and go and nothing ever happens. It's all hogwash.

Agreed 123. What's next? 3009? How stupid. Mayans are the exact reason why I give in least amount of my time to actually read what history is all about. If there are movies like National Treasure and things like that involving history, as long as it has to do with things that are true and things not involving junk that was predicted before and after and before and after repeatedly, then I am willing to give in my time to enjoy it.

Agreed 123. What's next? 3009? How stupid. Mayans are the exact reason why I give in least amount of my time to actually read what history is all about. If there are movies like National Treasure and things like that involving history, as long as it has to do with things that are true and things not involving junk that was predicted before and after and before and after repeatedly, then I am willing to give in my time to enjoy it.

Actually, if you bothered to read what poor Elephant King said, the Mayan Calendar ends in 2012 (the so-called "Long Computation"). Does it mean anything? No. At every calendar's end (the Mayans had quite a few calendar system, including monthly and yearly ones) the Mayans held feasts and generic celebrations. The longer the calendar just finished, the larger the feast. If the Mayans survived to this day, they'd be already preparing a massive nation-wide rave for 2012.

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world more than any calendar manufacturer ending his 2008 calendar with December 31st. THE WORLD IS ENDING ON DECEMBER 31, 2008!!1!111!!!shifteleven!1!

You seem to have problems discerning the Mayans from those who build crock theories basing on them. Dismissing their discoveries as 'junk' is deeply ignorant.

Actually, if you bothered to read what poor Elephant King said, the Mayan Calendar ends in 2012 (the so-called "Long Computation"). Does it mean anything? No. At every calendar's end (the Mayans had quite a few calendar system, including monthly and yearly ones) the Mayans held feasts and generic celebrations. The longer the calendar just finished, the larger the feast. If the Mayans survived to this day, they'd be already preparing a massive nation-wide rave for 2012.

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world more than any calendar manufacturer ending his 2008 calendar with December 31st. THE WORLD IS ENDING ON DECEMBER 31, 2008!!1!111!!!shifteleven!1!

You seem to have problems discerning the Mayans from those who build crock theories basing on them. Dismissing their discoveries as 'junk' is deeply ignorant.

Thanks. :aware:

You have to take into account Mayans built huge temples and scientific advances. Even the Incas had the first recorded brain surgery. Anyway, back on topic.

123Man, how did the Mayans predict it would end in '06 a few years ago? They died out little after the Spanish Invasion.

Finally, it wasn't the Mayans whatsoever. It was us, modern humans misinterpriting their own calendar.

The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point.

Exactly what Elephant King said. Arianna I wasn't saying that it didn't end in 2012. What I was saying as sarcasm. As 123man said, they have predicited lots of dates, only to be proven false time and time again, so the sarcasm was that 3009 will be a year after 2012, but conclused that the Mayans, as Elephant King said, did die out after a Spanish invasion, so I was being sarcastic, which I shouldn't have been.

It is still a bunch on bolony, the world ending in 2012? How ridiculous does it sound from right off of the back of your head. The world ending? Give me 1 good conclusion of how this might happen, as I was stating in a previous post.

Okay okay my last post here was jibberish :aware: but here we go, In the year 2012 seeming if we get there, we will have a lot of natural disasters that will eventually kill the humans. There are many more like a viral outbreak or a weird virus/sickness gets out and eventually kills us off, a giant asteroid crashes into earth creating a huge shock wave causing 100ft tsunamis earthquakes, giant Napalms, and burning ash that will kill the survivors. Another is the sun exploding which won't happen for another 5-8 billion years so no worries. There are still more out there but these are the only ones i know that i read/saw on Television about.

Comparing Christianity with, say, Native American legends of creation is like comparing a full-grown man to a three-year-old with half its organs removed and fourteen of its heads missing.

That's a blatantly ignorant thing to say. Just because a religion has a big following doesn't make it any more accurate. If professors and scholars believed in Native American religion, they would come up with proof for that too. The reason that people say Christianity has more to back it up is that it has more of a following, so there are more people who are trying to prove that it is.

Awww... The world will end the year I finish grade 12. Seriously maybe something will happen, but the world wont end. Maybe a civilisation or continent or even a country may be obliterated... But the whole world, doubt it.

But really, if a this asumption is taken so seriously, why wouldnt any other?... I bet I could trow a dart on the calander, and whatever date it hits I could run around saying the world would end, and someone will believe me...

Edited by Dark Wind166

It is just a stop of the Mayan caluclator for the 2012 year. No that has nothing to do with world-apocalyptic. If that is denied, someone link me somewhere to where it is denying what I just said. If you can't, which you of course won't, then it still won't be happening. Like a previous poster has stated, a disease or some other world crisis will probably come along and kill us earthlings, so it's like we don't even have to worry about going to die anyway.

1. a terrorism biological outbreak of a near extinct virus occurs "the great fear"

2. oil crisis is a reality, and people dont have oil, they go to war for that "the energy wars"

3. accidental nuclear warheads is launched, and they go to nuclear war "the arms conflict"

4. a extraterristrial object traveling so fast...that it is way beyond the furtherest belt of asteroids of this solar system, and unfortunately,

it's pointing in our direction, and collide with earth NEAR that day.

5. a supernova or vortex explodes and release a beam of energy toward earth, and it occurs too close to earth, obliterating earth's atmosphere or anything like that.

6. volcanic eruption that block out the sun for years and because of this earth cannot recover from it

7. global warming becomes irreversible

i am looking for the most likely situations, as you can see, the global warming thing and terrorism and the nuclear war thing I believe are the most likely to explain this. Im not saying that it would happen on that day, but if you look, its very possible that these events will cause further and greater tragedies for us.

IF you dont believe in global warming, i have a statement to make, i dont care if you believe in global warming or not, i dont care if you dont believe in some special wind/sea effect that will result from global warming, or some huge hurricane or spread of disease, or the shortage of oil and food, "special" events that are not suppose to be appearing are happening, and they're happening fast, so unless if we do something about these "events", stop talking and start doing something, when the world does come to a situation in which even you realize that it is in danger, you will most likely end up getting struck first.

I feel like jumping into a debate :aware:

@ above: Those are probably some of the larger unlikelyhoods you could choose, though the nuclear theory sounds highly possible :wub:

Anyway, here's a good background/basic summary of the History Channel special:

-The earth is at the end of an astral period of about 200,000 years (I forget the exact number)

-The mayan calendar ends on 2012, they have accurate calendars

-Web 'spiders' used to predict stock changes predicted the end is near on a test run

-A few other famous historical names predicted this

-A black hole has been discovered in the Milky Way Galaxy

What will happen:

1) The earth will cross over a celestial polar region, which causes the earth to change poles.

2) Because of the pole switch, the tectonic plates will slide to a completely different location over a 3-4 day period.

3) Due to the shifting of plates, masses of earthquakes, volcanic activity, and tsunamis will destroy most land creatures.

Problems:

1) It would take longer than 3-4 days for a magnet the size of Earth to completely flip it's domains by being acted on by a magnet in the form of a black hole. Especially if the sun has more gravity than the black hole.

Note: A black hole is the equivalent of all the cars in the world squeezed into a space the size of a small apple seed. Basically, they are born when a star implodes on itself, and all the star's mass is squeezed into a tiny area. They gain gravity by floating into other stars/objects, and colliding with them. The collision adds no more volume, but does increase mass and density. Eventually, everything will be in a black hole, though that process would take ages to get anywhere near completed. They've even got a word for the effect of something being dragged into a black hole: spagghetification (sp?). This is the typical vortex-entering thingy you see on television. By the way, vortex's of that nature have not been proven, to my knowledge.

2) Calculation time. The earth's circumference = 24,901miles

Half that (eg the travel distance of Alaska if the poles flip on end) = 12,450miles

Time in hours for four days = 96

So 12,450 mp96h/96 = about 129mph

Imagine a landmass the size of Alaska traveling at 129mph? That's ridiculous, to say the least. Since the Coriolis Affect does not apply to a movement sudden like this, that would mean 129mph winds. Why fear earthquakes and volcanoes if the wind is a deadlier threat in this situation? 129 mph is enough to keep a person floating in the sky (terminal velocity of the average human is 120mph).

Why wouldn't this be mentioned at all? Even if Alaska or anywhere else was moving only half the distance to the other side of the world, there's still a 65mph wind, which is a notable, yet not formidable, threat.

In general, there are just too many problems with this theory :)

No, it will not happen.

Mayas vs present technology.

Guess who wins.

People predicted the end of the world for 4 thousand years, what makes the Mayas prediction different?

Yeah. After all, it's not the first time the end of the world is predicted.

More like the seventh time tbh.

I'm not scared at all, and no one should be.

People predicted the end of the world for 4 thousand years, what makes the Mayas prediction different?

Mayans took their calendar super-seriously. Their calendar predicted lunar and solar eclipses many years into the future, accurate down to the hour. They feared something on the winter solstice of 2012, which is what gives us this idea.

Mayans took their calendar super-seriously. Their calendar predicted lunar and solar eclipses many years into the future, accurate down to the hour. They feared something on the winter solstice of 2012, which is what gives us this idea.

Then if they are right, by 100%, I rather still live in my dream that nothing is going to happen, since I can do nothing to stop it.