Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Enoch Root

Getting A Laptop.

I've been saving for about a year and I have about $1600 to buy a laptop with. Recommendations?

What are you looking for?

For example portability, battery life, performance, big screen etc etc.

Since Newegg is US only, and your in spain, I would recommend Tigerdirect.

Just look around that, I would recommend for a higher end laptop a HP or Sony :aware:

Some of the other guys around here probably have better advice.

I'll second Lenovo.

Personally I recommend the brands: HP (Hewlett-Packard), Lenovo and Samsung. All good brands from my experience.

Although with more information to what you want we could help you find a more specific laptop.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I would go with a Lenovo but the model really depends on how intense the things you will be doing on this computer are.

I used a Lenovo T61 for a couple days and I really liked it.

Edited by R Anderson

I recomend an Apple Macbook, great for schoolwork, good memory, portable and light easy to carry. Price ranges from $1200.00 to $2100.00 depending on what kind you get.

Edited by Icedearth15876

I actually was going to recommend a macbook, but it's not worth making Stobbo type more.

I recomend an Apple Macbook, great for schoolwork, good memory, portable and light easy to carry. Price ranges from $1200.00 to $2100.00 depending on what kind you get.

I agree with you, Apple kicked off the computer market with Apple One, the worlds first personal computer.

Ok I'm gonna stop before I launch into an Apple history

Macbook's now cost $1100 dollars and they are VERY reliable computers look above for the good specs.

Here is the site for the Macbook. This is the store, for more information go here.

Good luck finding a computer! :aware:

~Mage Kid3333

Edited by Mage Kid3333

I really like the macbooks but I can't justify the price for what you get (if you can then consider them an option). I've also used a LOT of dells which have proven reliable. And HP is a personal favourite of mine. I have yet to try lenovo but some of the members here swear by them :aware:. I have a mixed opinion on Sony vaios they are good performing laptops at a reasonable price, but they feel fairly fragile while i personally prefer a more solid laptop.

I have a lenovo T60, but I haven't had it long enough to justify whether it is a good laptop.

It may also be more helpful if you tell us what OS you're planning to run or at least which path. That'll stop the PC or Mac discussions depending on what you want to use. I am happy with my Dell laptop that I've had for 5 years. It's still running great and I have not encountered any major problems. I can't say the same for Sony laptops though.

I actually was going to recommend a macbook, but it's not worth making Stobbo type more.

:aware:

A MacBook is good but it costs more. Decide if you want to spend the extra money, rather than lets us debate out which is better.

It may also be more helpful if you tell us what OS you're planning to run or at least which path. That'll stop the PC or Mac discussions depending on what you want to use. I am happy with my Dell laptop that I've had for 5 years. It's still running great and I have not encountered any major problems. I can't say the same for Sony laptops though.

My Dad had a Sony Vaio and it isn't much cop to be honest, the battery is appalling, the AC adapter really clunky and not worth the price tag. Dell is used by teachers at my school and they do get battered around sometimes and they seem to work fine, just shows how something costing more isn't always better.

Thanks for all the info. Right now I'm thinking of getting a MacBook and using Boot Camp just to dual boot Leopard and XP- best of both worlds and the MacBook has pretty decent hardware specs.

Thanks for all the info. Right now I'm thinking of getting a MacBook and using Boot Camp just to dual boot Leopard and XP- best of both worlds and the MacBook has pretty decent hardware specs.

Try and have a look at refurbed macbooks they'll have the price cut down at the cost of a few minor scratchs - if that.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...?nplm=FB402LL/A

$949 for a decent spec macbook. If you want to bump the ram (even though you won't need to with OSX/XP) 4GB RAM - $75

I don't see the need for buying a copy of windows XP though... i'm guessing you don't plan on gaming.

Try and have a look at refurbed macbooks they'll have the price cut down at the cost of a few minor scratchs - if that.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...?nplm=FB402LL/A

$949 for a decent spec macbook. If you want to bump the ram (even though you won't need to with OSX/XP) 4GB RAM - $75

I don't see the need for buying a copy of windows XP though... i'm guessing you don't plan on gaming.

I do plan on gaming, though not much, which is the only reason I would add XP... That and I already have Microsoft Office for PC and so wouldn't have to buy an office suite for Leopard. My friend has a friend who thinks he can get me XP SP2 for free.

Well that sounds like your going to be pretty much using XP most of the time? Mac's main advantage is the operating system OSX, which isn't that much of an advantage. You can get a lot better hardware for your money if you buy a standard laptop. That will also come with windows vista and you can further install XP if you wish.

There are free office suites available which would work in OSX.

I've got a lenovo T60 and it is a piece of cabbage. I guess it would be ok if I was allowed to format off all ThinkVantage spinach and then it might be ok but for me it just wasn't worth it.

P.S. Cabbage and Spinach are creative comebacks for bad words not allowed on Slams. These are not word filters, they are my own words. :aware:

Excellent. Will Open Office?

I believe so.