Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Truth

The 2nd Chechen War

This is a war between the Russian Federation and the separatist unrecognized Chechnya Emirate. The war started in 1999 when Chechen Rebels sent letter bombs to an apartment in Moscow and within days the Russian Federation declared war on Chechnya. Many Arabs are claiming that the Russian troops are killing civilians when it is truly because that the rebels hide in populated towns so during air raids civilians die. So anyway when a part of your country wants independence do you have a right to go and invade the country to get it back? Does Russia have a right to be at war with Chechnya? I believe that they do because it is their land so why should Russia just grant the rebels independence.

Edited by -Erik Delko-

Ask yourself does a country ever have a right to go to war

Should a 'country' be punished for the actions of a few which might not represent the true feeling of that 'country'?

i think if you want independence and the majority of the people in that area want independence it should be granted its a piece of land for gods sake Will the people who die to fight these 'rebels' care if they get it back? i dont think so......... War is a stupid and ugly thing that shouldn't have a place in the modern world

Russia wants to hold on to Chechnya because Chechnya is oil-rich. This is also why the Chechens want independence- if they become independent from Russia, they can make a ton of money off the oil.

I think the Chechens have a valid claim to their independence based on their different culture and heritage, just as the Basques do, and the Kurds in Iraq. But I don't approve of the way that many of them are going about getting their independence- i.e., terrorism. Remember when that school in Russia was attacked?

Yes I remember but just to put it into other terms lets say New England tries to become independent of the US does the US have a right to invade New England?

Not in my opinion. There are people in a lot of states that favor secession, New Hampshire in particular.

I think that as long as it doesn't involve violence, secession is perfectly acceptable if the majority of citizens want their state to be independent.

Chechnya is an Emirate? :) Didn't know that. As an Arab, we usual think that an Emirate requires a Emir or royal family. If there's a royal family, I never heard of it to. :)

Anyway, I don't support an independant Chechnya. That land belongs to the Russian Federation and I feel that just because a small band of armed men calls for independance, dosen't mean the entier regeon needs it. :aware:

Used to be the Chechen Republic but then the leader declared himself Emir so.

Ask yourself does a country ever have a right to go to war

Should a 'country' be punished for the actions of a few which might not represent the true feeling of that 'country'?

Yes, when those few are not punished by the country that they operate from, the other country (in this case, Russia) that has been attacked has a right to punish the country where those few are from. :aware:

Same as it goes with Israel and Gazza, every person has his own opinion about that.

My opinion is, that both sides should learn to co exist, killing for nothing never gonna end the bloodshed.

Chechnya is an Emirate? :) Didn't know that. As an Arab, we usual think that an Emirate requires a Emir or royal family. If there's a royal family, I never heard of it to. :)

Anyway, I don't support an independant Chechnya. That land belongs to the Russian Federation and I feel that just because a small band of armed men calls for independance, dosen't mean the entier regeon needs it. :aware:

Then how can you support the palestinians? I don't wanna re open the topic about Israel-Palestine conflict, but yeah, I'd like to know why are you a hypocrite.

Same as it goes with Israel and Gazza, every person has his own opinion about that.

My opinion is, that both sides should learn to co exist, killing for nothing never gonna end the bloodshed.

Then how can you support the palestinians? I don't wanna re open the topic about Israel-Palestine conflict, but yeah, I'd like to know why are you a hypocrite.

He's not being a hypocrite, you are being absurd. The Palestinians have occupied their country for centuries. They have a right to anger and revolt when they are suddenly told "This land doesn't belong to you anymore, get lost.". This is distinct from the Chechen situation where, up until Chechen people realized they could generate great wealth from oil reserves on their land, there was no strong separatist movement.

He's not being a hypocrite, you are being absurd. The Palestinians have occupied their country for centuries. They have a right to anger and revolt when they are suddenly told "This land doesn't belong to you anymore, get lost.". This is distinct from the Chechen situation where, up until Chechen people realized they could generate great wealth from oil reserves on their land, there was no strong separatist movement.

Did they OCCUPY this land? They may have lived here,as the rest of us, but never occupied it.

In that case, I, as a Christian, expect to get oil rich North Africa, Turkey, parts of Syria, Jordan, and Iraq. Oh, by the way, since Palestine was stolen from us during the third crusade, I expect to get that as well.

Need I remind you that Israel was stolen by the Palestinians in the first century A.D.? What's so bad about Israel getting it back? :ice:

Edited by Finway

In that case, I, as a Christian, expect to get oil rich North Africa, Turkey, parts of Syria, Jordan, and Iraq. Oh, by the way, since Palestine was stolen from us during the third crusade, I expect to get that as well.

Need I remind you that Israel was stolen by the Palestinians in the first century A.D.? What's so bad about Israel getting it back? :ice:

You're not serious.

It happened TWO MILLENNIA AGO.

I'll repeat it for effect ...

It wasn't stolen, it was conquered - that's how the world worked TWO MILLENNIA AGO.

Perhaps if the world functioned now the way it did TWO MILLENNIA AGO and the displace Israeli peoples made war with and defeated the Palestinians, they would have a right to the land as their own. Palestine was punished for the deeds of Germany in a war where Palestine was not involved.

To try and steer the thread back on topic, I'll explicitly state that I do not think Checnya has a right to separate from Russia.

Edited by Noisia

You're not serious.

I'll repeat it for effect ...

It wasn't stolen, it was conquered - that's how the world worked TWO MILLENNIA AGO.

Perhaps if the world functioned now the way it did TWO MILLENNIA AGO and the displace Israeli peoples made war with and defeated the Palestinians, they would have a right to the land as their own. Palestine was punished for the deeds of Germany in a war where Palestine was not involved.

To try and steer the thread back on topic, I'll explicitly state that I do not think Checnya has a right to separate from Russia.

Ok, we never stole Israel either, we've defended ourselves while being attacked by other Arab nations/palestinians, and we won, that's why Israel belongs to us now, WITH Gazza strip, so that's why I don't see any difference, that's what you're trying to say? Only if we fought for it we got the claim over Israel, well, we did.

And here's the proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_War_of_Independence

Anyways, returning to the topic, as I said above, everyone has the right to live peacefully, so not everyone should be punished because of a little group of people that wants independence.

Yes Tomer but need I remind u that the only reason that the state of Israel is up and running was the sudden inflow of Jewish immigrants into the ARAB state of Palistine. The Arabs had the right to defend themselves at the time since apperantly, the U.N decided to split ARAB Palistine in half to make way for a Jewish Palistine. I really don't think the crisis in the Holy Land is a good comparison to the Chechnyan affair. :)

As for Finway, pathetic. :aware:

Guys this is not a Israel vs Palestine topic :aware: Also

Was just planning on giving you an example, but ofcourse people had to reply on it.

Anyways, I've stopped.