Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Razorlike

Guitar Competition

Well, let's start with a small introduction shall we

:aware:?

I'm Dustin, 16 years old and I've been teaching myself to play for around a year.

I'm currently in the proces of arranging a guitar teachers, but I first have to find a job (and support from my parents).

My equipment includes:

Guitar:

1. SG 400 Cherry Epiphone

2. 12 String acoustic

3. 6 String semi-acoustic

4. 6 String acoustic.

AMP: CG-50R

Foot: Digitech RP300A

Now, the goal of this topic. At this moment, I'm a bit stuck in my learning proces.

I find Guitar theory (like scales, etc) a bit too boring to help me learn new things.

So I was wondering, couldn't Sal help me (and perhaps a few other guitarists) with something that will challenge people and be entertaining.

Combining that with the idea of making Youtube covers of music, I wanted to know if any of you guitarists here at Sals would be interested in a competition?

The idea would be a to choose a song (ranging in difficulty) and then all attempting to play that song (Yes, this idea was also inspired by the Guitar Hero thread).

Ofcourse, there will be people new to guitar that just won't be as good as the people who have been playing guitar for years with lessons, but we can all learn from eachother.

I personally would find this very entertaining, and it would also broaden my ability to play different styles.

Please post what you think about this idea.

~Razorlike

Edited by Razorlike

Uhhhh, well I have...

A black ESP EC-50 LTD,

A Tanglewood TW45-NS-B Sundance Electro-Acoustic,

A Yamaha Pacifica,

A Digitech JamMan Digital Looper/Sampler

and I am currently saving for a Fender Jaguar.

My guitars are kinda weirded at the minute though because I'm experimenting with different tunings.

I've just written a bunch of songs on a sort of variation of open tuning which is (bottom to top) G, C, C, G, C.

I decided 6 strings messed up the open chords so I'm using 5 jazz/blues strings which actually sound really good.

Although I had to play around with the action to get rid of fretbuzz (blues strings on an ESP EC50 need some help).

Basically I'm going as nuts as I can right now. I've just started a new band as the one I was in previously was boring.

With this one I really have the opportunity to try new things with my guitar.

Thus, I declare myself this topic's analog experimenter (that is to say, not entirely effects based experimentation). :aware:

Well I won't say my name, but I'm 13 and I've been teaching myself guitar for about 2 and a half years now. I don't plan on guitar lessons for a while since my parents won't pay for anything for me above $5 if it's not Christmas or my birthday and my chores don't pay enough for lessons. And don't get me started on what a terrible wage I get doing the only job I can during the summer... it sucks to be 13. If something crazy happens and I am able to take lessons, I will try to get lessons from the same guy that my friend goes to.

After a long introduction, here's my equipment:

Red Yamaha EG112 C (It's an immitation of a Stratocaster)

Black Epiphone Les Paul (with awesome cream-ish colored pick guard)

Yamaha EG-10 Amp (It's one of those small practice amps-came with the Yamaha guitar)

Normal sized Peavey amp that's 20 years old (my dad's old one, still works great)

Digitech-RP50 foot effects pedal (not the best, but it's okay)

Morley Series II Wah-Wah andVolume pedal

SAVING UP FOR:

Line 6 Spider III Half Stack amp

Possibly a $300 Ibanez guitar I saw at Hugo Helmer (depends on how much money I have after my summer job).

I'm definitely interested in the competition.

~Zorada :aware:

If anyone has good ideas for songs, post 'em up

:aware:.

I'm currently learning Metallica songs and understanding how to get the best sound out of my pedal.

~Razorlike

I've been trying to learn some songs by an alternative rock/noise band called Part Chimp recently but it's damn hard.

They use detuned guitars and nowhere seems to have tabs so I'm having to first work out the tuning by ear and then the tabs.

Which isn't easy due to the huge amonuts of distrotion and feedback they use.

Today I had a band practice and snapped two strings as a result of trying to play a guitar solo with a haggard drumstick.

Although that was not great, it meant a trip to my local music store where I picked up my new strings and a Behringer DR400 Digital Reverb/Delay pedal AND a Behringer UD100 Ultra Distortion pedal. :aware:

If anyone has good ideas for songs, post 'em up

I'm currently learning Metallica songs and understanding how to get the best sound out of my pedal.

~Razorlike

Metallica.......Try nothing else matters.Its pretty easy.I learned it in less than a month.

I already learned Nothing else matters ages ago

I'm currently working on:

Seek and Destroy (90% done, Have to perfect some things).

For Whom the bell tolls (90% done, have to work on those muted powerchords).

Sanitarium (60%, currently learning the second solo).

~Razorlike

Edited by Razorlike

I already learned Nothing else matters ages ago

~Razorlike

Ok then....try Wherever I May Roam......if you have wah-wah pedal that is.

I'm in between 5 and 25 :wub: I've been teaching myself guitar+bass for 2 or 3 years.

I'm saving up for an Ibanez Acoustic right now.

Guitar: Epiphone 'Emily the Strange' SG

Bass: Fender Strat

Behringer Bass Amp- 10/10 :) I recommend, BIG, LOUD bang for your buck, small but LOUD, good for guitars too. :aware: I LOVE IT. :)

Currently learning- One by Metallica 5% done, probably never will finish it :)

Iron Man by Black Sabbath 90% done, currently working on solo :)

Lastly, Rock & Roll All Nite by Kiss, 90%, can't find tabs for solo/ :ice:

Edited by Hitnrunguy

What format do you want the solo?

I can get: Midi, ASCII, MusicXML, Wave, BMP, PDF, GP.

~Razorlike

Try learning "Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become". It's a bit challenging for beginners, yet simply for experts, but a great song to learn tabs with. I can play this song blindfolded, and I started guitar only a few months ago.