Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Magic of Woodcut

Obama Accused Of Distorting The Bible

Isn't the New Testement a distorted version of the Old?

The new testament has NOTHING to do with the old - story wise. The old testament tells the story about god's nation, as a nation not the story of one single person. the New testament is the story of Jesus.

Yet the Old Testament of lies, sin and metaphores is what is more commonly refrenced when reading about the laws. WAIT, WHAT!? JESUS CAME TO PREACH THE OLD TESTAMENT AND FULFILL A PROPHECY FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT?! WOW!

You see, the story of Jesus contains multiple stories of the Old Testament. After all, he was sent to stop/cleanse the sin that was already there, was he not?

The new testament has NOTHING to do with the old - story wise. The old testament tells the story about god's nation, as a nation not the story of one single person. the New testament is the story of Jesus.

Yet the Old Testament of lies, sin and metaphores is what is more commonly refrenced when reading about the laws. WAIT, WHAT!? JESUS CAME TO PREACH THE OLD TESTAMENT AND FULFILL A PROPHECY FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT?! WOW!

You see, the story of Jesus contains multiple stories of the Old Testament. After all, he was sent to stop/cleanse the sin that was already there, was he not?

Actually, he did abolish quite a bit of Old testament laws, atleast almost all concerning sin. Up until then, (In the old testament) people were told by God to sacrifice animals and that before they were burned to put their hand on it and transfer their sins (???)

But when Jesus came, he taught new laws (Or some just refined) to live by after he died on the cross, because then scarifice is no longer needed.

So wait, explain how the story of Jesus contains OT ones? And he was sent to be an eternal sacrifice. And he CERTAINLY did not 'stop' the current sin.

Actually, he did abolish quite a bit of Old testament laws, atleast almost all concerning sin. Up until then, (In the old testament) people were told by God to sacrifice animals and that before they were burned to put their hand on it and transfer their sins (???)

But when Jesus came, he taught new laws (Or some just refined) to live by after he died on the cross, because then scarifice is no longer needed.

So wait, explain how the story of Jesus contains OT ones? And he was sent to be an eternal sacrifice. And he CERTAINLY did not 'stop' the current sin.

1) I've heard the opposite argument so many times. I also believe that the 10 commandments were from the Old Testament.

2) He EXPLAINED the laws, he didn't teach new ones, he EXPLAINED old/forgotten ones. And Jesus didn't know he was going to die on the cross... He found out, but he didn't know for long...

3) Jesus was meant to cleanse the world of sin. He didn't succeed, but he was meant to. Of course, the OT is from before Jesus was born, and there wouldn't have been need of a "god child" if the world was already free from sin.

1) I've heard the opposite argument so many times. I also believe that the 10 commandments were from the Old Testament.

2) He EXPLAINED the laws, he didn't teach new ones, he EXPLAINED old/forgotten ones. And Jesus didn't know he was going to die on the cross... He found out, but he didn't know for long...

3) Jesus was meant to cleanse the world of sin. He didn't succeed, but he was meant to. Of course, the OT is from before Jesus was born, and there wouldn't have been need of a "god child" if the world was already free from sin.

Jesus did abolish some laws. All the laws of the Kashrut (the laws about food) are TOTALLY ignored in Christianity. Same as the sabbath, unless you considering having Sunday as a holy day in which you do not HAVE to rest an explenation of the commandment to rest on sabbath (or saturday).

Well it is a fact that the Dead Sea Scrolls have been barely altered throughout the centuries. But the fact of the Bible consisting of 66 seperate books and letters- excluding the Dead Sea Scrolls in this argument- give rise to a few objections. To include Obama for the distortion of the English versions of the Bible might come to truth for some factors of the argument. But it's doubtful, very doubtful.

Oh, and, if you want to look at the actual words of the Bible, search for a Hebrew version (:aware:).

Edited by Ameer

Dobson's comments are not surprising. This is what he said about John McCain:

"...[McCain] does not support a constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage, voted for embryonic stem cell research, opposed tax cuts that ended the marriage penalty, has little regard for freedom of speech, preserved filibusters in judicial hearings, has a legendary temper and often uses foul and obscene language...I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes of those who are...I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience"

Essentially, Dobson is mostly concerned with policing the Nation's bedroom, stopping scientific research to cure diseases, protecting material wealth, making sure Churches can spend unlimited funds in Political campaigns, eroding the structure of Checks-and-Balances in US Government, and restricting your freedom of speech. I will not be voting for John McCain but, there is a very good reason why, before he sold out his principles to win the 2008 Republican nomination, he called Dobson and those in the Religious Right-wing "the agents of intolerance": they're little more than would-be Despots.

the true battle of presidency?

hilary clinton

weapon of choice-creepy laugh. VS Obama

weapon of choice- the bible Vs Mccain

weapon of choice- bush quotes.

being serious of course the bible has been distorted from its original form so may times its now a completly different thing. if obama wants to use it in his twisted campagn let him

Every American has the Freedom of Religion. The FIRST Amendment. The reason why pilgrims came.

If you think Obama shouldn't be president for a freedom we do have then we should take it away and just make everyone be one Religion and linch the rest. (Sarcasm) :aware:

Every American has the Freedom of Religion. The FIRST Amendment. The reason why pilgrims came.

If you think Obama shouldn't be president for a freedom we do have then we should take it away and just make everyone be one Religion and linch the rest. (Sarcasm) :aware:

Actually, the pilgrims came long before the constitution, let alone the bill of rights.

The Bible's being distorted by every Christian I talk to, so why should I feel differently about Obama?

Anyways, freedom of religion. Presidents have it, too.

You wouldn't know the bible if it hit you, so you can't make that call.

And who are you to judge that?

Call it a hunch. :aware: Excuse me, I mean an educated guess.

Seriously, the most arrogant argument a christian can make over a biblical discussion is to say that someone who isn't christian is uneducated. GET OVER YOURSELF! Most of the people who partake in these discussions actually know what they're talking about.

Deal with it. The vast majority of people on this forum do not even have a basic knowledge of the bible.

Also, I really don't think quoting the Old testament's flaws is going to help. Jesus established the new covenant in the last supper so I think that cancels out old and outdated laws from the past. Example, we don't celebrate sabbath anymore.

Certain people don't follow the true Sabbath any more because they are more interested in following man than God.

The Bible's being distorted by every Christian I talk to, so why should I feel differently about Obama?

Seriously, the most arrogant argument a christian can make over a biblical discussion is to say that someone who isn't christian is uneducated. GET OVER YOURSELF! Most of the people who partake in these discussions actually know what they're talking about.

Deal with it. The vast majority of people on this forum do not even have a basic knowledge of the bible.

Yet the people always accused of having no knowledge are the ones who's arguments make sense.

Deal with it. The vast majority of people on this forum do not even have a basic knowledge of the bible

Amen, brudda.

Also, I really don't think quoting the Old testament's flaws is going to help. Jesus established the new covenant in the last supper so I think that cancels out old and outdated laws from the past. Example, we don't celebrate sabbath anymore.

Certain people don't follow the true Sabbath any more because they are more interested in following man than God.

The institution of the Sabbath was part of the old Law (and therefore, it is not necessary to follow anymore). I'm not quite clear why we've taken Sunday instead of Saturday as the most popular day to go to church, but I am pretty darn sure it's alright. Besides, is God going to send true Christians to hell if they're going to church on Sunday instead? It's still a "holy day".

And @ Arianna way back in the beginning of the thread: The Law's still there to show us just how IMpossible it is to get to heaven without Jesus. I'm sure you've heard the pertaining verses before, so I'm not going to waste your time or mine. I'll just put it this way: There are two ways to heaven: follow EVERY one of the old laws without ever breaking them even once, and 2.) Believe on the lord Jesus Christ. The bible says "All have sinned". Therefore, there's only one way. You can add it up, I'm sure. They're there to help us see how humans can't make it on their own.

-- wilt

I read it, back in the day that is. Although I missed some of the new Testament, I think I'll go right a ahead and derail the thread a little more and ask you to tell me in what passages does Jesus abolish specific Old Testament laws so I can look them up myself. Edited by mystery_phill

And @ Arianna way back in the beginning of the thread: The Law's still there to show us just how IMpossible it is to get to heaven without Jesus. I'm sure you've heard the pertaining verses before, so I'm not going to waste your time or mine. I'll just put it this way: There are two ways to heaven: follow EVERY one of the old laws without ever breaking them even once, and 2.) Believe on the lord Jesus Christ. The bible says "All have sinned". Therefore, there's only one way. You can add it up, I'm sure. They're there to help us see how humans can't make it on their own.
I'm not willing to get into a debate on how you can get saved. I was merely refuting Dobson's point - everything else does not concern me or this debate.

WE don't follow the sabbath anymore since our Lord Jesus predicted it's demise along with the prophets of the past.

The Old Testament prophesies of the demise of the Sabbath

Isaiah 1:13, "Offer sacrifice no more in vain: incense is an abomination to Me. The new moons, and the Sabbaths and your festivals I will not abide."

Hosea 2:11, "And I will cause all her mirth to cease, her solemnities, her new moons, her Sabbaths, and all her festival times."

Jesus Christ rebuked those who criticized Him for doing things on the Sabbath:

In John 5:5-18, an infirmed man was cured by Jesus on the Sabbath, and Jesus told the man to take up his pallet and walk, two clear violations of Sabbath keeping. In verse 10 the man is admonished by others for being in direct violation of carrying his pallet on the Sabbath. Why do you suppose Jesus Himself broke the Sabbath twice? After all didn't He Himself write the ten commandments? Clearly He has prefigured the demise of the "ceremonial" Sabbath here.

Just clearing things up buddy. :aware:

Edited by Phoenix Rider

The institution of the Sabbath was part of the old Law (and therefore, it is not necessary to follow anymore). I'm not quite clear why we've taken Sunday instead of Saturday as the most popular day to go to church, but I am pretty darn sure it's alright. Besides, is God going to send true Christians to hell if they're going to church on Sunday instead? It's still a "holy day".

Don't take my word on it but if i recall correctly I am pretty sure that Sunday because the holy day because of the roman and pagan influence. Think of its name first of all - sun-day, the day of the sun. The sun god was usually the most improtant god in these religions. I remember hearing this explanation somewhere but don't take my word on it 100%

I'm not willing to get into a debate on how you can get saved. I was merely refuting Dobson's point - everything else does not concern me or this debate.

If you're going to tl;dr three stinking lines, you're probably not worth debating anyway. :aware:

I've bolded the important bits, just in case.

-- wilt

If you're going to tl;dr three stinking lines, you're probably not worth debating anyway. :aware:

I've bolded the important bits, just in case.

-- wilt

I have read what you've written while you on the other hand seem to have passed over my post like a drug dealer chased by the police. :)

I don't know if you've noticed, but the topic is not "Has the Bible been distorted", but "Obama accused of distorting the Bible". Has the Bible been distorted throughout the years? Yes? No? In the context of this debate, who cares? Is it important if others have distorted the Bible? No. The topic is whether Obama has or has not distorted the Bible.

For the purpose of this debate, it is utterly unimportant how you can get saved, how the Bible is composed, and everything else.

The topic, summed up, is: Mr. Dobson says that Obama has been distorting the Bible to his advantage. Is he correct? Yes/No/Maybe.

If YOU can't read, don't accuse others of doing so. Re-read a certain passage about sawdust and planks, it'll help.

Sigh, Amerikanern.

After all didn't He Himself write the ten commandments?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ten_commandments[/url] ']The Ten Commandments, or Decalogue, are a list of religious and moral imperatives that, according to Judeo-Christian tradition, were written by God and given to Moses on the mountain referred to as "Mount Sinai" (Exodus 19:23) or "Horeb" (Deuteronomy 5:2) in the form of two stone tablets.

No, Jesus didn't write the ten commandments. :aware:

Obama also did 9/11... Wait, wrong person.

I think, everyone distorts the Bible in their own way, to suit their beliefs, after all, no-one is the same.

~5ilence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ten_commandments[/url] ]The Ten Commandments, or Decalogue, are a list of religious and moral imperatives that, according to Judeo-Christian tradition, were written by God and given to Moses on the mountain referred to as "Mount Sinai" (Exodus 19:23) or "Horeb" (Deuteronomy 5:2) in the form of two stone tablets.

Isn't Jesus God in the form of man? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ten_commandments[/url] ]The Ten Commandments, or Decalogue, are a list of religious and moral imperatives that, according to Judeo-Christian tradition, were written by God and given to Moses on the mountain referred to as "Mount Sinai" (Exodus 19:23) or "Horeb" (Deuteronomy 5:2) in the form of two stone tablets.

No, he's not.

No, Jesus didn't write the ten commandments. :)

No, he's not.

If you're Catholic, Jesus is God. :aware:

I'm not Catholic.

No, Jesus didn't write the ten commandments. :)

No, he's not.

He is if you're Christian/Catholic. But it sounds...odd, nonetheless. I think by 'He' he just meant God, regardless of the interchangeability (no, I'm not sure if that is a word :aware:) of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.

It is very surprising the amount of misinformation there is concerning the Sabbath. I will attempt to remedy this.

The institution of the Sabbath has been around since the beginning of Creation. Six days God worked and did all his work, and rested the seventh. This Seventh day was Saturday or Sabbath. He sanctified it and told us to rest and worship him on that one day. And it starts at sundown on Friday and ends at Saturday night. Actually, the Sabbath day was changed from Saturday to Sunday by the Pople in the past. The Catholic church does not deny this-- it is not very common knowledge though.

And I think that it is more a matter of following God. I mean this is in the Ten Commandments... The special tablets that God gave Moses. And I don't think Sunday is a holy day. It was the day that Jesus rose from the dead, but nowhere in the bible does it suggest that the Sabbath was changed because of that. In fact, if anything, it should suggest to you the Sabbath was still important to God. He rested over the Sabbath and only rose on Sunday.

WE don't follow the sabbath anymore since our Lord Jesus predicted it's demise along with the prophets of the past.

The Old Testament prophesies of the demise of the Sabbath

Isaiah 1:13, "Offer sacrifice no more in vain: incense is an abomination to Me. The new moons, and the Sabbaths and your festivals I will not abide."

Hosea 2:11, "And I will cause all her mirth to cease, her solemnities, her new moons, her Sabbaths, and all her festival times."

I think your reasoning is flawed on this because you are forgetting the context of the situation, and the current state of Israel. You post these as proof that God doesn't want us to worship the sabbath anymore, right? Are you actually serious?

Isaiah 1:13 (New King James version) "Bring no more futile sacrifices; incenses is an abomination to Me. The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies--I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.

Essentially the same as yours. Read the area around this and you will see how this is so absurd to use. I direct you to Isaiah 1:2 "Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth! For the Lord has spoken: "I have nourished and brought up children. And they have rebelled against me; The ox know its owner and the donkey its mater's crib; But Israel does not know, my people do not consider." These people were following God with their lips and doing the Sabbaths. Going through the motions of following God... But there was absolutely no righteousness in them. They were just like the Pharisees. I went to Hosea 2:11 and I read that as well. It is hard to even take you seriously when you bring this up as proof for why God does not want the Sabbath to stay as he made it.

Jesus Christ rebuked those who criticized Him for doing things on the Sabbath:

In John 5:5-18, an infirmed man was cured by Jesus on the Sabbath, and Jesus told the man to take up his pallet and walk, two clear violations of Sabbath keeping. In verse 10 the man is admonished by others for being in direct violation of carrying his pallet on the Sabbath. Why do you suppose Jesus Himself broke the Sabbath twice? After all didn't He Himself write the ten commandments? Clearly He has prefigured the demise of the "ceremonial" Sabbath here.

Just clearing things up buddy.

Yes! This is because the Sabbath was not meant to be a day where we all sat around and did nothing. It is not meant to be a day of misery and rules, as the Jewish people had made it. Jesus taught us that the Sabbath is not just about following the rules. It is supposed to be a day of love. This is why we should be willing to help on the Sabbath. This does not mean that we should not worship on the Sabbath.