Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rufus the Cubone

Obama Said Immigrants Don't Need To Learn English. We Do

well 1. We already hate the us GOVERMENT and learning more languages is an advantage i know am trilingual and am learning french right now kinda good for a 13 years old( ive lived in germany england and vietnam).Ok maybe because some dude bombed my realative thats why i hate you ,but the point is no one gives a cookie you dont learn the language we make fun of you its as easy as that.

At Portugal you have to learn 2 languages, 1st English then you can choose from an assortment. And I assure you, I will NOT learn spanish because Spain is on our border. I can speak/understand spanish without even learning it, I just don't know how to write it.

Tbh, Spain= Quicker Portuguese with syllable changes most of the time. Although portuguese people tend to join words together until it becomes gibberish to other countries. I'm going waaaaaay outside the topic now :)

As to the topic at hand, I think he just means that since spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the United States you should learn it :)

I support choosing whatever language you want to learn though, me personnally wanting to learn Lating or Ancient Greek :aware:

just stick a U in Colour and you'll do fine :aware:

And we have a winner :)

And a S on the end of Math.

Edited by Iniiii

England can't get over the fact we helped them twice.

Really? Really? I'm gobsmacked someone as respected as Cxk said something so ignorant.

FYI that kind of statement is more the reason that most Europeans hate America.

Anyway on topic, it's important for everyone to have at least a basic grasp of another language not purely from a practical point of view but it tests the brain in different ways and such.

Edited by Celtic

I do plan on learning a few languages. But not Spanish, its almost like its required to speak spanish now.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be helpful, Mexico happens to be the United States' next door neighbor and they primarily speak Spanish, so it just may help if you are crossing the border for a vacation. Anyways, don't us Americans get some Spanish education at school?

Mexico only borders the south end of the united states. To travel to mexico you really can't travel across the border here. You can with Canada though.

Some schools tell people they need to learn Spanish.

You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language.

Yeah, we should be learning the Language we choose to learn, my school (before I started) used to make kids learn Spanish.

And by the way Spanish is the second most spoken language in the US

Yes due to the fact we have alot of Immigrants, but there have been people coming here who can't speak English.

Manuals now come in multiple languages, I understand English/French becuase of Canada (witch even French Canadians speak English). But Spanish/English?

Edited by Rufus the Cubone

We speak English so everyone else should shut up or speak it too!

My dad's company is french owned, and even the international meetings are done in English. If there is a universal language, it's English, so it's not totally ridiculous to only know that language. It's a great thing to be bilingual or trilingual, but I'm going to stick with English.

I do plan on learning a few languages. But not Spanish, its almost like its required to speak spanish now.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be helpful, Mexico happens to be the United States' next door neighbor and they primarily speak Spanish, so it just may help if you are crossing the border for a vacation. Anyways, don't us Americans get some Spanish education at school?

Mexico only borders the south end of the united states. To travel to mexico you really can't travel across the border here. You can with Canada though.

Some schools tell people they need to learn Spanish.

You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language.

Yeah, we should be learning the Language we choose to learn, my school (before I started) used to make kids learn Spanish.

And by the way Spanish is the second most spoken language in the US

Yes due to the fact we have alot of Immigrants, but there have been people coming here who can't speak English.

Manuals now come in multiple languages, I understand English/French becuase of Canada (witch even French Canadians speak English). But Spanish/English?

Who cares? It's mandatory that I learn French here.

You think international relations don't matter?

Just see what happened when the Middle Eastern countries started hating us. Other countries hating us can be very not good.

International Relations do matter, im not saying they do hate us. But Obama is making it that way becuase he wants the Latino vote.

I believe its good to learn another language, and everybody should learn another language. But he wants us to learn SPANISH. Becuase of illegal immigrants who come to this country and can't even speak any words other then "Marrijuana 10 bucks"

BTW Middle Eastern countries hate us for diffrent reasons. The only real ally we have there is Isreal, and yes the Terrorists want Obama to win, you do realize if we don't keep them busy there they will have more chances to attack here.

Edited by Rufus the Cubone

Really? Really? I'm gobsmacked someone as respected as Cxk said something so ignorant.

I know we owe it to Europe anyway, but everyone else was struggling in WWII until we came in. Dropped two bombs in Japan, and bang, the war was pretty much over in days.

If Europe hates America because we pwn, that's fine with me :aware:

We're the superpower, Europe should all learn English! (Even though most of them already have)

Change schools?

In the quote provided by Common Sense:

He never said I want Americans to learn Spanish because of Illegal Immigration.

:aware:

Change schools?

In the quote provided by Common Sense:

He never said I want Americans to learn Spanish because of Illegal Immigration.

:)

You need to read between the lines! Obama is basically saying that he will write into law that Spanish would be the official language of America. Then he would let anyone from Mexico enter America, and give them free money because they are illegal immigrants. These liberals speak in a tricky language, but I think I've got it figured out.

Yeah, talk about twisting words. He didn't even mention Spanish? :aware:

Edited by Adam?

All he's saying is that not everybody in the world speaks English. And they probably never will. If you don't want to learn another language, fine. Good luck when you're trying to do business with a spanish speaker.

Edited by Mikey

ENGLISH IS THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE, EVERYBODY IN THE UNITED STATES SHOULD HAVE TO KNOW ENGLISH.

It's always a good thing to know other languages anyway. Plus, the fact that you should only have to learn the official language of your country, while understandeable, isn't an absolute criteria. You have to go out of your 'We speak English, that's all we need' mentality.

I have a feeling quite a few Canadians wouldn't like it if I told them they should have to know French (Maybe everyone has to take some French lessons, I'm not sure - It doesn't mean they know French however). After all, whether you like it or not, it's one of Canada's official language.

The stupidity of this almost made me laugh, but I realized that I should be crying.

Why is French any better than Spanish? 'Cause Canada's cooler?1 Your logic makes no sense in these sentences.

1 - Not saying they aren't cool.

Edited by Fruityfed

The stupidity of this almost made me laugh, but I realized that I should be crying.

Why is French any better than Spanish? 'Cause Canada's cooler?1 Your logic makes no sense in these sentences.

Well it is quite cold.

Yeah seriously. Manuals in America come in Eniglish and Spanish because so many people in American speak Spanish. If you fail to understand this, well, I don't know what to say to you.

RtC, your argument seems ridiculously biased and not well researched.

Can we see a link to when Obama said, "countries in Europe will hate us"? I'm not saying he didn't, but my searches beared no results at all.

Anyway on topic, it's important for everyone to have at least a basic grasp of another language not purely from a practical point of view but it tests the brain in different ways and such.

Someone needs to learn when I'm being a dunce on purpose to show sterotypes >_>.

Yeah, talk about twisting words. He didn't even mention Spanish? :aware:

He did. Here's the context (which, incidentally, many critics are ignoring):

You know, I don't understand when people are going around worrying about, "We need to have English-only." They want to pass a law, "We want English-only."

Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English. I agree with that. But understand this. Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English -- they'll learn English -- you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish. You should be thinking about, how can your child become bilingual? We should have every child speaking more than one language.

You know, it's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe, and all we can say is, "Merci beaucoup." Right?

You know, no, I'm serious about this. We should understand that our young people, if you have a foreign language, that is a powerful tool to get a job. You are so much more employable. You can be part of international business. So we should be emphasizing foreign languages in our schools from an early age, because children will actually learn a foreign language easier when they're 5, or 6, or 7 than when they're 46, like me.

-Common Sense

Edited by Common Sense

ENGLISH IS THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE, EVERYBODY IN THE UNITED STATES SHOULD HAVE TO KNOW ENGLISH.

It's always a good thing to know other languages anyway. Plus, the fact that you should only have to learn the official language of your country, while understandeable, isn't an absolute criteria. You have to go out of your 'We speak English, that's all we need' mentality.

I have a feeling quite a few Canadians wouldn't like it if I told them they should have to know French (Maybe everyone has to take some French lessons, I'm not sure - It doesn't mean they know French however). After all, whether you like it or not, it's one of Canada's official language.

The thing is, Patou, that we have the mentality that French should be learned, because it was custom ever since K to 11. If you start a language at an early age, then it becomes more progressive when studying. For people like Rufus, it's too late. Spanish is an elective for students as late as the eighth grade. Is French an elective? No, at least not for Quebec.

You know, I don't understand when people are going around worrying about, "We need to have English-only." They want to pass a law, "We want English-only."

Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English. I agree with that. But understand this. Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English -- they'll learn English -- you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish. You should be thinking about, how can your child become bilingual? We should have every child speaking more than one language.

You know, it's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe, and all we can say is, "Merci beaucoup." Right?

You know, no, I'm serious about this. We should understand that our young people, if you have a foreign language, that is a powerful tool to get a job. You are so much more employable. You can be part of international business. So we should be emphasizing foreign languages in our schools from an early age, because children will actually learn a foreign language easier when they're 5, or 6, or 7 than when they're 46, like me.

But at least it works in Canada. I say my French is well. And, Common Sense, where do you find those transcripts?

Edited by Definition

We're the superpower, Europe should all learn English! (Even though most of them already have)

Russia is also considered a super power.

Combined europe is basically a super power overall your not the only one and i can see why people dislike america with that attitude :aware:

I know we owe it to Europe anyway, but everyone else was struggling in WWII until we came in. Dropped two bombs in Japan, and bang, the war was pretty much over in days.

If Europe hates America because we pwn, that's fine with me

Usa entered 1941. War Ended 1945? without america it would of been to close though.

Edited by Dragonmyth