Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BachNasty

Sony: Copying Others 'the Worst Thing We Could Do'

After Microsoft claimed that the introduction of Xbox Live avatars was a much fresher approach than the competition, Sony said Wednesday that Home is on track and trying to copy others is not its plan for the PlayStation 3.

“I don’t know enough about Microsoft’s avatars. I think we’re going in a bit of a different direction with Home. We made a line in the sand and made a strategic decision on Home and that’s where we’re going,” said SCEA president Jack Tretton.

“My understanding is that it’s a more simplified vision. That may be enough for some and not enough for others. We are who we are. You have to be who you are. You can’t backpedal down a road if it doesn’t appear it’s going to plan. You have to be aware of what’s not resounding with people.”

“We’ve got a plan for PS3. I think the worst thing we could do is look at the competition and try and do what they’re doing,” he said.

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/news/0...e_could_do_.htm

:aware:

What is this trying to say?

I dont know what you are trying to say. If you mean the article, its just Sony saying they would never copy another consoles ideas with Home and that its the worst thing possible. Yet Home and its Trophies are almost Identical to Xbox Live and achievements from what I have heard.

Edited by -Dark-

Then I will accuse Microsoft of stealing the "personal computer" idea from Apple. And every other console after the Magnavox Odyssey for copying a video game console.

This is how companies work. They build up on prototype ideas and make it better. It's called competition. Without it, technology and economics would be nowhere.

Then I will accuse Microsoft of stealing the "personal computer" idea from Apple. And every other console after the Magnavox Odyssey for copying a video game console.

This is how companies work. They build up on prototype ideas and make it better. It's called competition. Without it, technology and economics would be nowhere.

Microsoft made software, not personal computers, silly. :)

Edit: SEGA DREAMCAST'S CONTROLLER IS NEARLY IDENTICAL TO THE XBOX'S!!

(Even those stupid memory slots ON the controller!!) :aware:

Edited by redmonke255

Well, Apple made the software too. :)

@edit: That's what I'm trying to say. These are stupid comparisons. "OMG IT'S A MACHINE THAT MAKES 3D IMAGES THAT ARE ENJOYABLE TO THE VIEWER. THEY STOLE IDEAS!"

I think the worst thing we could do is look at the competition and try and do what they’re doing
Worse than installing rootkits on unsuspicious users' machines?

I think the worst thing we could do is look at the competition and try and do what they’re doing
Worse than installing rootkits on unsuspicious paying users' machines?

If you're talking about what I'm talking about...

We'll be talking about the same thing. :aware:

Edited by Arianna
ya u r, tyvm

Yes, but the Dreamcast is partly a Microsoft product. They all run Windows CE (Console Edition).

Yes, but the Dreamcast is partly a Microsoft product. They all run Windows CE (Console Edition).

And Microsoft helped start it with the first online play. :)

It was just a joke. :)

(Even those stupid memory slots ON the controller!!) :)

Then....

"OMG THE PLAYSTATION 2 STOLE THE JOYSTICK IDEA FROM THE NINTENDO 64. LET'S SUE."

EDIT: I always wonder why they named it the "Joystick" :aware:

The joystick is from the atari.

The thumbstick is from the N64. (What the...it's made of plastic???)

FINE, ALL THE STICKS WERE COPIED FROM THE ATARI.

sheesh. All this to get a joke across :aware:

This topic is stupid. Copying is good because usually it adds an improvement causes competition and that becomes good for us since they make them better and better.

This topic is stupid. Copying is good because usually it adds an improvement causes competition and that becomes good for us since they make them better and better.

+1

Sony took the Trophy system and expanded it by integrating an RPG-style element. Ideas are exchanged all across the board usually with such alterations/improvements such as the aforementioned, making it more enjoyable for the consumer at the end.

Agreed. AKA my first second post on this thread.

Edited by secret agent man

Sony is so right. I thought it was totally lame of Nintendo to come out and redesign its controller with a motion-sensing controller right after Sony did.

Oh...wait.

+1

Sony took the Trophy system and expanded it by integrating an RPG-style element. Ideas are exchanged all across the board usually with such alterations/improvements such as the aforementioned, making it more enjoyable for the consumer at the end.

Of course. I don't have a problem with Sony (Or anyone) basing themselves on what exists and adding something new... But when they say they don't base their work on what the competition does... That's just stupid.

+1

Of course. I don't have a problem with Sony (Or anyone) basing themselves on what exists and adding something new... But when they say they don't base their work on what the competition does... That's just stupid.

But they didn't say they didn't base an idea on the competition's, they said they didn't copy it, which technically speaking is true.

+1

But they didn't say they didn't base an idea on the competition's, they said they didn't copy it, which technically speaking is true.

I was refering to this line:

“We’ve got a plan for PS3. I think the worst thing we could do is look at the competition and try and do what they’re doing,” he said.

Which, technically speaking, is not true since while I agree with basing your work on something existing and bringing it to the next level can be good, you have to look at the competition and do what they're doing (For a part) in order to do this.

I was not aware that the Xbox 360 was the first console to give awards for completing tasks in a video game.

wow your cool. home has been in planning for idk how long if anything they took it from sony.

ok if thats copying then let me say microsoft copied sony for making a console with online cuz i believe that sony did that first..........

Edited by flameman29

wow your cool. home has been in planning for idk how long if anything they took it from sony.

ok if thats copying then let me say microsoft copied sony for making a console with online cuz i believe that sony did that first..........

Actually sega was the first to go online.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.