Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tyra Rae

Under God In The Pledge.

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should Under God be in the Pledge?

• It should not be in the Pledge
    • It should be in the Pledge
    • Don't care

It should be in the pledge, God is an important part of our (The USA) country and if society tries to get rid of it we're in trouble.

It should be in the pledge, God is an important part of our (The USA) country and if society tries to get rid of it we're in trouble.
So prior to 1954, we were "in trouble"? Explain please.

So prior to 1954, we were "in trouble"? Explain please.

We should be in trouble for being liars about the freedom of religion. :aware:

A question to anyone who believes in God, would you be upset if the pledge said "God does not exist"?

A question to anyone who believes in God, would you be upset if the pledge said "God does not exist"?

Yes, and I understand how Atheists must feel, when the pledge states that God does exist, so we should remove any religious views from the pledge.

I wouldn't mind honestly, but it would make a new attempt to break the habit of saying "Under God" in the Pledge. :aware: I've had to say it for over 9 years everyday [K-8]. Although, this was my first year in high school, and we were never forced to say it at the beginning of each day [it wasn't even mentioned at all]. Is any other high school like that?

Edited by Prince Caspian

That's rather strong considering it says "Under God" and not "God exists". The real question is, would they be upset if it said "Under no God", which better represents what the Founding Fathers were trying to achieve.

Edited by Gillis

That's rather strong considering it says "Under God" and not "God exists". The real question is, would they be upset if it said "Under no God", which better represents what the Founding Fathers were trying to achieve.

Funnily enough, I wouldn't mind saying it that way.

I don't see how you could interpret under god to mean anything other than god exists. The best solution to anything like this is to just leave religion out of the public.

I don't see how you could interpret under god to mean anything other than god exists. The best solution to anything like this is to just leave religion out of the public.

Or rather it was founded under God, but yeah, there should just be no mention of anything religious in the pledge. It's useless.

If you want a theocracy (because that would be a theocracy)

That, Ari, would not be a theocracy. That is called 'free expression of religion'. Just because a judge wants to hang a poster with the Ten Commandments on his office wall does not mean a country is going the way of the Vatican. Something interesting I've always noted about atheists.....everything makes a nation a theocracy.

Is that rhetorical?

Now, back to the Ten Commandments...

Putting the Ten Commandments in a courthouse is ludicrous.

Just because it's his religious beliefs doesn't mean he's going to exercise them in the courtroom. Someone's been making assumptions, sound like :aware:

I wouldn't mind honestly, but it would make a new attempt to break the habit of saying "Under God" in the Pledge. :aware: I've had to say it for over 9 years everyday [K-8]. Although, this was my first year in high school, and we were never forced to say it at the beginning of each day [it wasn't even mentioned at all]. Is any other high school like that?

Same with me.

If you were telling someone that their father died, telling them that they passed away in a sympathetic manner is much easier on both of you instead of "Your father died" and walking away.

Atheists should suck it up and stop nice doggy!ing about a couple of words that are said voluntarily. If everyone has to endure their constant elitist "I'm always right about everything" attitude then they should have to hear people say the word God every so often.

And Buddhists... And Hindus... And every other nonmonotheistic religion of the world. :aware:

I don't mind so much that it references God, but moreso that it clearly violates the constitution- that's something, that in my opinion, should never be allowed to slide.

The Constitution says that there will be no official national religion. Saying "under God" does not violate that.

I like double standards.

His office wall? Don't you mean the wall of an official federal building?

Yes, but it's still his office, and whether or not it's a federal building, it's perfectly legal to express your religion. Last time I checked the Constitution it said "Free exercise of religion thereof", not "Free exercise of religion....but not in federal buildings."

His office wall? Don't you mean the wall of an official federal building?

Yes, but it's still his office, and whether or not it's a federal building, it's perfectly legal to express your religion. Last time I checked the Constitution it said "Free exercise of religion thereof", not "Free exercise of religion....but not in federal buildings."

So, if a judge's religion says that LSD is ok, the correct course of action for him would be not convicting anyone found in possession of LSD since it would clash with his freedom of religion? Come on! When you're doing a civil service, such as a judge's, a policeman's, etcetera, etcetera, the law is the only thing that matters. Does it conflict with your religion? Quit your job, no one forced you to be a judge/policeman. If a judge applies to the wall something to the extent of "You shall have no god before me" it means that all those who do not follow said god are to be discriminated by that judge, in the name of "freedom of religion". Thppt. It really looks like freedom of religion applies only as long as it is your own religion.

In fact, in 2002, a 3 judge panel of the US Circuit Court of Appeals declared it unconstitutional for ignoring the beliefs of parts of the country, and imposing a junction of church and state. America was founded on the ideals that Church and State are to be separate, yet Congress forced religion into the pledge. I support the removal of it, on the grounds of its religious bias and unconstitutionality. Something that our lovely Supreme Court is supposed to enforce. :aware:

The Supreme Court's job is to interpret the laws, the President is the one who enforces them.

In fact, in 2002, a 3 judge panel of the US Cir

Whether you believe in God or not, we should honour the beliefs of the founding fathers.

+1

We shouldn't take it out, it's been in there forever (or as long as America has been here :) ).

Like plexar we should honor what our founding fathers thought. They were smart enough to know what was true if they made us a country :aware:

im apalled that anyone wouldnt want "under god" in the pledge of allegance, or "in god we trust" on our currency... the reason he majority of people immigrated to the Americas was because of religous oppresion, and they came here so they could be free from it (it was christianity btw... "in GOD we trust") and yeah...

i KNOW im gonna get flamed for all this, but i just thought id put my thoughts in... for what little good it'd do

EDIT: just wanted to add this lol...

its seems like today, you have to worry about offending people too much... you cant say "merry christmas!" oh wait do you believe in christ? oh im so sorry.... it makes me sick. you always see "happy holidays" on tv, never the actual names... lol

happy valentines day! oh wait im sorry, do you believe in love?

XD

if you athiests and non-christians dont want to say the pledge of allegance to our country, then dont. your funeral.

Edited by littleren13

im apalled that anyone wouldnt want "under god" in the pledge of allegance, or "in god we trust" on our currency... the reason he majority of people immigrated to the Americas was because of religous oppresion, and they came here so they could be free from it (it was christianity btw... "in GOD we trust") and yeah...

It is somewhat funny but here is a quote for you:

"My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege... it seems to me eminently unwise to cheapen such a motto by use on coins, just as it would be to cheapen it by use on postage stamps, or in advertisements."
Now, if you wonder who said/wrote this, you might be surprised it was Theodore Roosevelt in 1907 in a letter to William Boldly.

The original United States motto was not "In God we trust" but "E pluribus unum", or, in plain English, One from many. Which could be extrapolated to: "One from many parts". The Great Seal of the United States bears this motto (on the scroll the Eagle holds in its beak), the design was first used in September 1782. It appeared on some federal coins in 1795.

For those interested visit this link for the history of 'In God we trust' on US currency.

--Simple--

Edited by Simple013

if you athiests and non-christians dont want to say the pledge of allegance to our country, then dont. your funeral.
its seems like today, you have to worry about offending people too much...
Well indeed, I shouldn't react if you forecast my funeral for not saying a pledge. Definitely. :aware:

I'm not even going to put in an adjective for you, because, no matter what, it won't be descriptive enough.

You may print this post and proclaim that you have been attacked for your beliefs if you so wish, but know that you aren't attacked for your beliefs, you are attacked in retaliation. There's a big difference. And, as a final note, the only ones I see worrying about the "its seems like today, you have to worry about offending people too much... you cant say "merry christmas!" oh wait do you believe in christ? oh im so sorry...." thing are Christians that try and make themselves seen as target of a fictitious oppression, whereas they go and threaten others with "their funeral". Says a lot.

Atheists should suck it up and stop nice doggy!ing about a couple of words that are said voluntarily. If everyone has to endure their constant elitist "I'm always right about everything" attitude then they should have to hear people say the word God every so often.

I highlighted the important points in that post. Just because it says "God" in a pledge doesn't mean they have to take it out. It shouldn't be a big deal for them. To atheists, what do you think about saying God? Just because you don't believe in him doesn't mean that you have to whine about it.

I highlighted the important points in that post. Just because it says "God" in a pledge doesn't mean they have to take it out. It shouldn't be a big deal for them. To atheists, what do you think about saying God? Just because you don't believe in him doesn't mean that you have to whine about it.

Because you wouldn't complain if it said "one nation under Shiva, Brahma and Vishnu", right? Anyway, even if I were American, I wouldn't care. After all, my national anthem says that God created Italy as servant of Rome, and I'm completely fine with it.

But still, it's never a big deal unless it concerns one directly...