Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GetNudeDay

Morals And Values

Yes this is taken from a post i made in the Abortion thread.

Morals and Values are taught to us at a voung age and guide us in our beliefs.

However, do you feel that they are generally a good thing?

I personally feel that some people's morals and values are causing them to only look at one side of there views and not opening there mind.

What do you feel?

Morals are a very important part of our society, but I do think that some are causing others to keep their mind closed. I believe it's of the most importance to keep an open mind.

Morality is all subjective. Nothing is inheritly evil and nothing is inheritly good. Neither exist alone as absolutes.

In my opinion, such strong ideas as good and evil should be put aside for more forgiving ideas, like favorable and unfavorable, because no intentional act can be without a positive consequence.

I have a Christian upbringing and thus I believe that there is no possible way for absolutes not to exist. Although on the outside it looks as though there are no absolutes, when one digs deeper they realize that it's all in the balancing. Every intentional action has a positive and negative reaction, but some are better than others.

I have a Christian upbringing and thus I believe that there is no possible way for absolutes not to exist. Although on the outside it looks as though there are no absolutes, when one digs deeper they realize that it's all in the balancing. Every intentional action has a positive and negative reaction, but some are better than others.

Thats another thing i forgot to add.

Religion is also another way that people are becoming less open minding when dealing with morals :aware:

Perhaps, but it all depends. These days, with humanism coming into play, some religions are conforming--some facets of Christianity, for example. Also, as a result of Buddhism, Shintoism, etc. more open-minded elements have entered other religions.

I not having any religion per se may be of assistance? I dunno. I keep an open mind to things I'm not sure of, but when I am positive about something, I am forced to hold my ground. Why wobble and teeter on one's own stance when they're more than a little bit sure?

Perhaps, but it all depends. These days, with humanism coming into play, some religions are conforming--some facets of Christianity, for example. Also, as a result of Buddhism, Shintoism, etc. more open-minded elements have entered other religions.

I not having any religion per se may be of assistance? I dunno. I keep an open mind to things I'm not sure of, but when I am positive about something, I am forced to hold my ground. Why wobble and teeter on one's own stance when they're more than a little bit sure?

I could be sure that murding isn't wrong.

Should you wobble and teeter then?

No, because one feels that way about it. But then, that's something that's more likely ingrained in someone's thinking by their moral scruples, not so much one's upbringing.

There's nothing that's universally right or wrong. Everybody has their own idea of it.

Thats another thing i forgot to add.

Religion is also another way that people are becoming less open minding when dealing with morals :aware:

Someone's generalizing. I personally am Christian, but I really don't solve issues with my religion.

As for morals, mind control alert.

There's nothing that's universally right or wrong. Everybody has their own idea of it.

I don't suppose you'd like to explain how everything survives then, wouldya?

Yes this is taken from a post i made in the Abortion thread.

Morals and Values are taught to us at a voung age and guide us in our beliefs.

However, do you feel that they are generally a good thing?

I personally feel that some people's morals and values are causing them to only look at one side of there views and not opening there mind.

What do you feel?

I think that morality is an extremely important thing to have. Without a sense of right or wrong, we might do all kinds of evil thing. While this may sound generic, and thus unhelpful, you are more than welcome to consider this from the perspective of Christianity. In other words, I consider murder, theft, and other things to be wrong.

I strongly disagree. While this is only a theory, I feel that people's morals are, or should be, the result of a consience decision based upon the merits of each side. It should be their own choice, not made by other people. You cannot tag along in the path of others. If you want to be a Christian, then it has to be real for YOU. Likewise, you must make the same choice for something different such as atheism.

In my opinion, such strong ideas as good and evil should be put aside for more forgiving ideas, like favorable and unfavorable, because no intentional act can be without a positive consequence.

Have you experienced this yourself? Personally speaking, I can honestly say that certain things have just been very unfavorable for me, and I cannot see what the positive consequence of my action is.

We need morals and values to take in a concept of life, what would stop us killing a new born baby, or cutting somebody's brake cables? The only problem with morals and values is the fact that their are so many different ones. If we were all stuck under one big list the world would work slightly easier, however that doesn't allow us enough freedom to be ourselves, not that it wouldn't work for new generations to come.

While this may sound generic, and thus unhelpful, you are more than welcome to consider this from the perspective of Christianity. In other words, I consider murder, theft, and other things to be wrong.

It does sound generic, but not unhelpful :aware:. Just like yourself i take christian morals, but i like to have more of a global view. If i find different morals i will tend to adjust with them and try them out. (Note: no i have never killed anyone, i stick by legal obligations.).

One thing i get annoyed with is the fact that i tend to adjust, say a family has a set of morals and another has a different set, i will end up switching to adjust between the to. Now obviously that makes them a little friendlier to me, but it also messes with any concepts i may have. Or perhaps that is a good thing, having no set morals makes it easier to see things from outside the box looking in.

Defining good and evil is a mistake, defining pretty much anything into a group is a mistake. With so many more values and opinions how are you ever going to get an idea across?

Edited by Unknown

You can? Even if there was someone who threatened the things you care for, people you love? Their death would still be murder, so to speak, but it would be better than the alternative. Is it still wrong then?

Have you experienced this yourself? Personally speaking, I can honestly say that certain things have just been very unfavorable for me, and I cannot see what the positive consequence of my action is.

Then why would you do it? Because it was positive for someone else, and you preferred their happiness to their sadness? Because you believe that's what your God wanted you to do, and pleasing Him is favorable to you? Offer an example, the positive outcome will be there.

~CQ :aware:

I don't suppose you'd like to explain how everything survives then, wouldya?

Explain further what you're getting at, please.

What I mean is why don't we all just get some MP5s and some AK-47s and randomly shoot people, just because it's okay by our little crafted belief system. Heck, let's go steal an AEGIS cruiser and kill some people in another country. Let's steal some cars, buy 100 kilos of cocaine, and go snatch an old M9 Bazooka from a WWII surplus store and some requisite ammo, JUST BECAUSE we think it's okay! And get away with it!

Do you see where I'm going with this?

If we lived in a world without morals, I'd give each person 15 minutes to live.

What I mean is why don't we all just get some MP5s and some AK-47s and randomly shoot people, just because it's okay by our little crafted belief system. Heck, let's go steal an AEGIS cruiser and kill some people in another country. Let's steal some cars, buy 100 kilos of cocaine, and go snatch an old M9 Bazooka from a WWII surplus store and some requisite ammo, JUST BECAUSE we think it's okay! And get away with it!

No, I don't. I'm not saying that anything is okay, and I'm not encouraging the type of anarchy you're describing. I'm saying that I don't believe there are any things that are universally, always right or wrong.

Edited by _blade

Good values? Everyone has em' they just don't show em. Morals not everyone has a good one. Abortion people= Bad moral to kill helpless innocent babies. Terrorist= scary people who never found a way in life. ect.

My views my opinions do I think I have a bad moral? No.

No, I don't. I'm not saying that anything is okay, and I'm not encouraging the type of anarchy you're describing. I'm saying that I don't believe there are any things that are universally, always right or wrong.

That had to be the most oxymoronic and otherwise self-contradicting post I've ever seen about anything, ever.

I mean really. "No, I'm not saying anything is okay" and then "I'm saying I don't believe there are any things [actions] that are universally right or wrong"

That's self-contradictory.

That had to be the most oxymoronic and otherwise self-contradicting post I've ever seen about anything, ever.

I mean really. "No, I'm not saying anything is okay" and then "I'm saying I don't believe there are any things [actions] that are universally right or wrong"

Well tell me, what is wrong with any of those things?

You can? Even if there was someone who threatened the things you care for, people you love? Their death would still be murder, so to speak, but it would be better than the alternative. Is it still wrong then?

Then why would you do it? Because it was positive for someone else, and you preferred their happiness to their sadness? Because you believe that's what your God wanted you to do, and pleasing Him is favorable to you? Offer an example, the positive outcome will be there.

I was speaking generically, of course, but this is still true. I, personally, have done things which have later hurt me. I will not give out my life's story to anyone! I have hurt people physically before, for example, and later I really regretted my actions. Each one of us has done something that has affected us negatively. I do not see a reason for why there always has to be a positive for something, even if there can be something which is both positive and negative. I intentionally have done things before... And it hasn't always given me a positive outcome. I fail to see why this is a revelation. This should be obvious. Causality--cause and effect. If you shoot somebody, you go to jail. If I stay up late intentionally, then tommorow I will be more tired than I would've normally. If I am rude to everybody, then I will not have very many friends; how is that positive? I suppose if you do not like company, then you might like that. But I would think that it would not be very fun.

He's saying that he doesn't think that ANYTHING is okay, but there aren't any actions that are universally right or wrong.

Now maybe I've completely missed his point--and I would allow for that possibility, but it looks to me like he thinks anything is okay but not anything is okay...and that's pretty oxymoronic IMO.

I was speaking generically, of course, but this is still true. I, personally, have done things which have later hurt me. I will not give out my life's story to anyone! I have hurt people physically before, for example, and later I really regretted my actions. Each one of us has done something that has affected us negatively. I do not see a reason for why there always has to be a positive for something, even if there can be something which is both positive and negative. I intentionally have done things before... And it hasn't always given me a positive outcome. I fail to see why this is a revelation. This should be obvious. Causality--cause and effect. If you shoot somebody, you go to jail. If I stay up late intentionally, then tommorow I will be more tired than I would've normally. If I am rude to everybody, then I will not have very many friends; how is that positive? I suppose if you do not like company, then you might like that. But I would think that it would not be very fun.

But at the time, you felt that what you did was favorable to doing something else. For example, I have a serious weakness for chocolate. I know that if I eat a bunch of chocolate, I'm going to swell up and look like a blimp. And if I were to eat lots of it anyway, and become fat, clearly being fat wouldn't be a favorable outcome. The favorable outcome is tasting chocolate as opposed to not. Similarly, in one of your examples, if you shoot someone, you generally go to jail. However, you obviously had a reason for shooting them, that at the time made shooting them worth it. It might not have been favorable later, but by then your perspective has shifted. It doesn't matter if you regret something later, because it isn't later that you're making the decision. If it seems favorable at the time, it's the choice you make.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've suddenly started craving chocolate. Funny how these things work.

He's saying that he doesn't think that ANYTHING is okay, but there aren't any actions that are universally right or wrong.

Now maybe I've completely missed his point--and I would allow for that possibility, but it looks to me like he thinks anything is okay but not anything is okay...and that's pretty oxymoronic IMO.

I don't care what he is saying, that had nothing to do with my post, why are any of those things wrong?

Edited by ttttttttt